It's been a good day so far. I slept well, and I have taken my time waking up and been reading the process. The article Cailin posted (yes, that again) made me wonder the writer had ties to the Cone Family. It could be one of many but... They had bases in Maryland and moved back there after they lost their many textile mills in NC. I would think that family had a large fortune, but who knows what happened since the 18 and early 1900's. They were hammered for disgusting conditions and child abuse in their mill villages. The villages can basically be and have been related to sharecropping of the textile world. The same motivators to keep employees tied to the mill, as to the land, applied. They had one in Western NC. Chicken Hill. They bought it from local businessmen who had built fairly nice houses (especially to the locals with outhouses who took baths in a bucket or in a creek), and community bath houses in the area surrounding the mill. The houses for the wealthy/owners were at the top of the hill. We are closer to coal mines than cotton growers so the whole area was fueled with coal and covered everything in suit. The owners escaped that by being higher up. When the Cones took it over they added many shacks and placed them in areas where they could monitor the workers. They set up community stores with a welfare system. Nothing humanitarian or remotely good in nature mind you, along with the community service programs they established and the schools that few of the children graduated from because they were designed to place them in the mill as workers. They all had different motives. They then extended the pay periods so employees would have no other choice but to use store credits and from there, took their family farm land they had to leave to work in the mills. *Or anything else they had to offer. They acquired mass amounts of land this way with all the mills they had scattered all over NC. Their new set up allowed for TB and numerous other diseases to flourish. Real SOB's, but again it seemed like a trade up to the people in the area during that time period. I get that.

In the 90's Chicken Hill was turned into a "Urban Art District" and it's now being renovated back to it's original glory by a man who moved here in the 90's, and the original homes are being sold. The mill was burnt down by someone, intentionally, in the 90's. I remember that being on the news. I'd like the see the whole area go up in flames, but... Someone may as well get some use out of it, again and again.
When I hear terms like "hipster" I think, who told cliques they could leave high school??

Last edited by Fifi.G; 01-11-2014 at 10:43 AM.