So I decided to try out Devachan and used my 16 year old daughter as a guinea pig. It's going to be tough reviewing our experience without comparing the two salons. I'll put my comparisons in parenthesis.

Devachan Soho -Broadway location

We took the subway which left us less about a block away from the salon. (Ouidad is about 2 streets and 3 avenues away from the train most convenient to me.) We walked in the building and down the stairs to a massive and bright salon. (Ouidad is quite dim, kind of romantic lighting.) It smells like heavenly incense and light relaxing music was playing throughout the place. Not too loud and not too soft. We checked our coats with a friendly coat check attendant who handed us a silky satin robe, and then we sat back on the waiting couch where we were offered water, tea, soda, etc. (Ouidad has a plain water and a lemon infused self-help glass water pitchers) served in a champagne glass. I notice everyone that works there is sporting to die for curly do's. (Ouidad's receptionists both had blown out hair the day I went.) I was scoping out the women leaving the salon and dying of curl envy. (I was not impressed with any of the clients' hair leaving Ouidad.) I also noticed a nail and make-up station.

The stylist's assistant sat us down, and made sure we were comfortable. Each hairdressers chair is equipped with an IPAD!! We were very happy with our stylist, Mia. She was knowledgeable and friendly. She asked my daughter what she would like to have done to her hair. She made some suggestions without being pushy. Then she cut the hair dry, curl by curl. Even dry I could see my daughter's swavy hair coming to life. I told Mia I received a Ouidad cut last month and she joked "Oui-don't" haha

Next, her hair was low poo'd, no poo'd then conditioned with One Condition by the stylist assistant. She gave my daughter pointers on how to wash and condition. She even had my daughter touch her hair when it was perfectly conditioned to "seaweed" wet to teach her how it should feel when in the shower. The only styler they used was the plainly named "Devacurl Styling Cream which was added while still at the washing station into soaking wet hair. The washing stations were breathtaking lol There was a soft white net hanging - kinda like a mosquito net- around each reclined cushioned lounge chair. My daughter was worried about the problem she has at EVERY salon - she is too short to totally put her head in the sink water always goes down her back. Well that didn't happen here because you're practically lying flat with a pillow under your knees. It looked so relaxing - I was jelly! haha They allowed me to sit by my daughter the entire time which was appreciated.

After my daughter sat back in the hairdresser's chair, the assistant asked her to lean her head all the way back so that her dripping hair hanged straight down. It was then scrunched to release extra water and to form those beautiful S shapes. Then she scrunched again this time using wads of paper towels. Carefully and gently. Several clips were placed about at the roots then they brought the hooded dryer down over her head to dry for about 20 minutes. She browsed cuddly animals on Reddit while her hair dried thanks to that handy dandy iPad. Mia came back over after about 18 minutes and moved the hooded drier from my daughter's crown and positioned it near her ends for another 15 minutes. My daughter has super LP and it usually takes forever to dry. Mia made sure the cut was just right with a couple more snips. While waiting for my daughter's hair to dry I was able to look around and see Mia and another stylist each working with their clients who had huge coils afros. They weren't intimidated and they didn't even try to thin them out. They both received glorious cuts.

When it was done, my daughter had CURLS!! No waves. It was amazing, defined and light. I couldn't believe my eyes. Not a stitch of frizz. The only down side is I don't like the scent of their products. Such a shame. The cost came to $120 before tip, $10 less than Ouidad and 2x the amount of hair. The receptionist handed me a membership card to put on my key ring for me to rack up points with each product purchase that convert to dollars after a certain amount.

Afterwards, we went to Ricky's to buy the Devacurl products which we knew were on sale hehe. Overall, best salon experience to date. Wonderful results and totally worth the price. I am tempted to go and touch up my cut (I feel I could use some more shorter layers in the back) or even just for them to style me. It was simply uuuuuhhhmazing.

Deva Curl Low-Poo Cleanser

Aqueous Extracts of: Achilea Millefolium, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, Humulus Lupulus (Hops), Melissa Offcinalis (Balm Mint), Rosmarinus Offcinalis (Rosemary), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, PEG-75 Lanolin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-7 Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-10, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Polyquaternium-7, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance.

Deva Curl No-Poo Cleanser

Aqueous Extracts of: Achilea Millefolium, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria), Cymbopogon Schoenanthus, Humulus Lupulus (Hops), Melissa Offcinalis (Balm Mint), Rosmarinus Offcinalis (Rosemary), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Propylene Glycol, PEG-75 Lanolin, PEG-40 Hydrogenated Castor Oil, PEG-7 Amodimethicone, Polyquaternium-10, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Polyquaternium-7, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methyl Paraben, Propyl Paraben, Sodium Hydroxide, Fragrance.

Deva Curl Styling Cream

Water (Aqua, Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, Glycerin, Behentrimonium Chloride, Tapioca Starch, Cetrimonium Chloride, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Myristate, Laureth-4, Ethyl Macadamiate, Hydrolyzed Jojoba Protein, Panthenol, Melissa Officinalis Extract, Humulus Lupulus (Hops) Extract, Cymbopogon Schoenanthus Extract, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Extract, Achillea Millefolium Extract, Lauryldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Lauryldimonium Hydroxypropyl Hydrolyzed Wheat Starch, Propylene Glycol, Ceteareth-20, Disodium EDTA, Aminomethyl Propanol, Diazolidinyl Urea, Iodopropynyl Butylcarbamate, Fragrance (Parfum).
Day 1 of Curly Girl method: 10/5/13
3b Mostly Normal Porosity. Medium Density, Fine to Medium Width, Medium Texture.
SM Y&B TS and Condish. Ecostyler with Argan oil gel.
Daughter: Long frizzy Swavy 2a turned Wavy Curvy 2B - thanks to Devachan, Low Porosity, Medium Texture, High Density

Last edited by Marixpress; 01-14-2014 at 06:04 PM.