Kerastraight saved my sanity and my daughter's.

My daughter has type 3c curly hair and we spent 10 years fighting with it and various products to smooth and tame. She spent her life in braids because it was easiest and most manageable. Otherwise, hair brushing and detangling was a more than hour long, painful process.

In the spring of 2013, I learned about Kerastraight. I did some research and discovered that the product is out of the UK and in Europe, formaldehyde is not allowed in products. In fact, the product was recalled in 2010 and re-formulated due to the presence of 2% formaldehyde. (If any of this is incorrect, please feel free to correct me. I'm not being a snob, just sharing what I found out.)

My daughter has a great deal of hair, so it was a two day process for us. Instead of giving her a final rinse after the product application, we went home with the product in her hair and came back later for the wash out.

The moment it was rinsed, I could see a difference in her curl pattern. Not only were the curls looser and less frizzy, but they were more manageable. She barely complained when the stylist brushed and combed it. After washing it? Taking a blow dryer to it has the curls falling into more of a wave pattern than frizzing out into a Little Orphan Annie cottonball/Q-tip on her head.

We were careful to only use Keratin products on her hair - shampoo, conditioner, leave in, moisturizers - and nothing with sulfates (which meant reading the labels.)

Her treatment lasted for eight months, with a 'booster treatment' in the middle. This included going swimming in chlorinated pools and in the ocean on our vacation. (The key was saturating the hair, loading it up with conditioner, and giving it a good rinse (at minimum) and another dose of conditioner immediately after.)

We've now gone back (finally) and gotten our second treatment. Her hair dries faster, is more manageable, and she can easily go from curly to straight depending on her mood. It's worth the four hours (not including the follow up hour) for the relief and manageability.

Yes, she still has curls (see above), but they're not as tight, and the curl pattern is still beautiful.

Last edited by momofacurly; 02-21-2014 at 08:15 AM. Reason: Added additional comment.