I agree about certain people having their character taken away by the wrong sort of plastic surgery. The best sort of work, if one goes that route, is more subtle, looking like oneself but better, not changed into some caricature, or removing individual distinction.
As far as myself, two reasons I won't be having any surgery or procedures - #1 not in the market, and #2 I'm a big wuss about pain. Also, at 66, I've mostly of gotten used to an older face(that has largely aged well). What younger women don't know is that one's face doesn't change overnight from being young, taut and smooth to aged overnight - it takes a long time. Although certain bad lifestyle habits and unremitting stress will speed that process up for sure.
The only things I'd even think of doing would be to get rid of sunspots, or getting facial acupuncture - otherwise I'm OK with my face as I take care of my skin. About acupuncture in general, I've had good luck with it over the last 22 years for various things. I knew someone here who was seeing an acupuncturist who specializes in acupuncture facial improvement techniques and I must say this woman looked great - not fake-looking at all and she was a very down-to-earth person as well. I keep to a good fitness program and a healthy diet, so my body is in check. It doesn't look like a 30-year-old's, but good enough. I didn't have any kids though so that helped.