It also depends on the straightening iron. I used straightening irons quite a bit in the past; I used to wear the "shoulder length straight bob" look. I didn't suffer any damage from that. However, one time I was 'swayed' into purchasing one of those high heat straighters from a kiosk at the mall and it burnt my hair. On my left side and in my bangs, I had patches of severely damaged hair. It was horrible.

Also, if you're going to straighten your hair you want to make sure to get a really good cut. When I had a great cut, my straightened hair looks awesome all day. I could comb it with a regular comb and everything (since when is a "curly girl" ever able to comb her hair?) and it always looked great. Later on, when I didn't have as good a cut, I could never get it to look right at all when straightening. The cut made all the difference in the world.
Attached Thumbnails
How bad is straightening?-angela.jpg  

I'm definitely a "curly" 2c. Sometimes curly and sometimes just wavy upper layer with a ringlety under layer. My hair has been thick and coarse since birth. Strawberry blonde in color that can and does change depending on the type and amount of light.

All in all, I'm happy with my hair type but almost for sure think yours is prettier.