Lumbar microdiscectomy. I managed to herniate a disc in my lower back. Neurologist basically told me that if I want to continue doing martial arts I would need surgery.
Originally Posted by Corrina777
Corrina, I've had 2 (both on my L5/S1). First 24 hours after are the worst (which seems to be the case with all surgeries in my opinion). My best advice is when you are waking up right after the surgery and they ask you if you need pain meds, say no if at all possible. They have made every person I know (myself included) throw up, and that is generally worse than the pain.

Let me know if you have specific questions
Originally Posted by TRBL
That's good to know, thank you. I think the only time I had an issue was after my thyroid surgery- I think I had a mild rash that they think was from the anesthesia. I didn't seem to have any issues with the post-op morphine. The prescription stuff that I was given to use at home was a whole different story. First surgery was Percocet, which did nothing for the pain, but gave me one of the worst episodes of heartburn I've ever had. After the septoplasty I got Vicodin, which didn't seem to do anything at all. After my tonsils, I got liquid Tylenol with codeine. That stuff was good. I laughed when I saw how much the surgeon prescribed for me, especially when he said to just call the office if it wasn't enough. But by the end of the first week, I was starting to think I would be calling for a refill. I was practically swigging it. Tonsil surgery is seriously every bit as painful as an adult as they say it is.

3a/f/iii
Modified CG since 11/5/11
CLEANSE: VO5 Vanilla Mint Tea Clarifying, DevaCare No-Poo, CHS Treatment Shampoo
RO: DevaCare One Condition, SS Caitlin's Conditioner, Mop Top Daily Conditioner
LI: SS Repairing Protein Treatment, CHS Silk Leave-In
STYLE: Re:Coil, Curl Keeper, Deva Ultra Defining Gel, Curls Rock Amplifier and Strong Hold Mousse, Sweet Curls Elixirs Okra Gel and Hard Hold Gel, SS Curl Enhancing Jelly and Firm Hold Gel