Sorry, this post is kind of long!

I made a batch of FSG a couple of days ago with a few modifications. Like a lot of people, I was getting frustrated with having to keep it in the fridge or having it go sour, so I've been adding Liquid Germall for several months, and I don't feel there is any difference to the quality or performance of the gel. It is odourless, and doesn't seem to be drying. This time, I decided to experiment with castor oil and glycerine, but these can certainly be left out. I added a little bit of xanthan gum to thicken the gel slightly. I've also found a way to avoid the bother of straining the gel by boiling the seeds in a cheap nylon knee-high stocking. I have used this new concoction twice, and both times, it has given me excellent clumping and defined my normally skinny little waves into big, soft, thicker waves that I've been hoping for. My hair is as shiny as it has always been using the more traditional FSG recipe. So far, this new blend is a winner! Hope you all have luck with it, too.

Jude's FSG

1 cup water
1 cup orange flower water or rose water (or total of 2 cups plain water, if preferred)
1/2 cup whole flax seeds (I use brown)
1/2 tsp epsom salts (if extra curl is desired)
1/2 tsp castor oil
1/2 tsp glycerine
1/2 tsp liquid Germall
1/4 tsp xanthan gum
6 drops essential or fragrance oil of your choice (I used Sand & Surf perfume oil from Lathers & Lights)

Place 1/2 cup flax seeds in the toe of a nylon knee-high sock and tie the end tightly. Cut off excess nylon and save for another use. Place water and seed pouch in a plastic bowl or ziploc bag with the 2 cups of water, seal bowl or bag and soak overnight.

Transfer liquid and the knee-high full of seeds to a pot, add epsom salts if desired, and bring to a full rolling boil. Reduce to medium heat and continue to boil gently 5-7 minutes (or longer if a thicker gel is desired). While the seeds are boiling, "squish" the pouch several times with a wooden spoon to release the gel. Meanwhile, mix castor oil, glycerine, liquid Germall and xanthan gum with a spoon in a small bowl. Remove pot from heat and carefully remove the pouch of seeds with tongs. Try to squeeze excess gel from the pouch and add it back into the pot with the rest of the gel. Scrape the glycerine mixture into the pot, add essential/perfume oil and blend well with whisk. If desired, blend the gel further in a Magic Bullet or blender to fully incorporate all ingredients. When cool, pour into an empty bottle and use in good health!

2b/3a fine, high density, medium porosity
No poo/Co-wash: Tresseme Naturals or Down Under Naturals Hypoallergenic
RO: L'Oreal Evercreme Nourishing Conditioner
LI: just a little of my CO or RO
Stylers: FSG and/or DevaCare Arc AnGel or DevaCurl Light Defining Gel