I straighten very infrequently so I can't recommend any specific products, but since silicones have heat-protectant properties that's what you would have to use when straightening. However, to continue to straighten your chemically processed hair (that already has clear signs of damage) constitutes IMHO "hair suicide" so continue at your own risk...

There are a couple of very inexpensive and very moisturizing gels that I'd like to suggest. Both can be obtained from many drugstores and/or department stores such as K-mart, Wal-mart and Target . They are: 1) Fruit of The Earth 100% Aloe Vera Gel. Although not shown there, it comes in other sizes and presentations, for instance mine is in a 20 oz. pump bottle; its hold seems to vary from person to person, personally I have to mix it with something else. 2) Organic Root Stimulator Lock & Twist Gel, You will notice that free samples are available for a minimal S&H charge. When I saw it at a beauty supply I decided to purchase it based on the ingredients rather than the name and I'm glad I did. By itself the hold was too light for me but when I mixed it with the "FOTE" it was perfect, I absolutely love how my hair looks and feels when I use this combo and the main advantage of using these is that their mostly natural ingredients will nourish the hair rather than drying it out as it often happens with other gels.
2A/3A, medium length, layered, colored dark/medium ash blonde - "CGer" since April '02.

"Converting the 'curlskeptics' one curly head at a time..." HWHC