This is a good idea! Here are some that I use:

Angell: Works best with some conditioner left in under it. I have to use alot and it works better when it's hot and humid. It does give me larger clumps but they sometimes fall out a little by the end of the day.

Nexxus Phyto Organic The Arts Redefining gel: Verrrry similar to Angell but has a little better hold and will actually give me great 2nd day hair.

B&A gel: Love this! It's probably closest to a HG for me. It gives good curl definition, good clumps and good hold. Always gives good hair for a 2nd and sometimes a 3rd day. I highly recommend this gel.

Suave Firm Hold (Biolage Gelee knockoff): I've been using this one for about 1 week. I really like it. It has good curl definition and really good hold. I had awesome hair for 3 days with it without rewetting (just doing the Awe/Boots thing to refresh). At first the curls were a little stringy but not after a couple of uses. I must have raked a little the first time I used it but it's great when scrunched in.
2b/3a, primarily use Jessicurl and DevaCurl products, Curls Hair Tea conditioner and various gels. I'm modified CG-ish since 5/04.