Tips for getting stretched wash-and-go?

On Wednesday I got up at 3:30 am to catch an early morning flight. I washed & conditioned my hair and added a little leave-in conditioner and gel. Normal routine, as best I can remember. Didn't touch my hair after I added the stylers. Had a quick cup of tea then into the car, with the heat on. When I got to the airport and had a chance to look in the mirror - lo and behold, my hair looked great! Quite different than usual, though. It was straighter (well, wavier) than usual, with more hang. It wasn't super clumpy - the curls/waves were relatively thin, but well-defined. It looked longer, and generally cooler. Hard to describe. Even though it was straighter, it wasn't flat on top. So now I'm trying to figure out, how can I replicate this look? Was it the very gentle air drying from the car that helped? I can't figure it out! I might have used a little more gel / less conditioner than normal. In some ways my curls weren't as good - they weren't as bouncy and round as usual on wash day. But the overall look was better -- very neat, and stretched, and flattering to my face. Less pouffy than usual. anyway, if anyone has any tips as to how to get a more stretched, defined look (from a wash and go, that is - not from a twist out, etc.), please let me know. There has to be some way to do this again without getting up at 3:30 in the morning and driving to the airport!

thanks,
Rhiannon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curl Type: 3c
Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.
one think I do is to wash at night and braid it in medium sized braids when still wet (using whatever moisturizers/stylers/sealers I would use to do a wash n go) and then go to bed. wake up in the AM and take out the braids when its still damp and VOILA a stretched wash n go!

the key is to not braid all the way to the end. leave about a centimeter or two of hair loose at the bottom of the braid and secure with a bobby pin. this retains the curl pattern.

HTH
:::::::joie de vivre:::::::
last relaxer: November 2008
big chop: November 2009
4a, fine, dense, teeny weeny coils with low porosity


Mine is like that when I let it air dry. It's like those extra drips on the ends help to hold them down longer. When I do this after I get out of the shower I put conditioner on my hands and grab my hair into a pony in the back, smoothing with conditioner. I then twist the whole pony like I'm wringing a towel, but not as tight. Alot of the extra water runs out. It seems to give a bit more clumpiness.
Then I coat with my oil of choice being careful not to disturb the curls too much.
All Natural Since July 2009
Avatar Pic: HESMU gel over Tresemme Naturals as leave-in 7/25/10. I hadn't had time to SOTC but it got nice and full later (no pic)
Last Relaxer: February 2008
Type: 4a canopy, 3c mid, 3b nape, semi porous, ii
Current Favorite: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Smoothie
Trying: Castor Oil
Cassadie3 - thanks for the suggestion for how to do nice braid-outs. I'll have to try that, leaving the ends loose. I do like to do twist-outs, now that I've finally learned how to do them, on an old wash-and-go: I'll dampen, add gel, and twist at night for next day hair. But I'm trying to get better wash-and-go's without actually stretching out the hair (that is, I want it to be elongated, but dried curly, if that makes sense), because when I do a twist out or a braid-out, then I can't get my hair wet or exercise without it turning into a puff-ball. Whereas when I let my hair air-dry, a real wash-and-go, then I don't have to worry as much about a little dampness or humidity ruining my hair. Plus, I just find that they last better.

Torimom - thanks for the tip! I will try that next time I wash - probably tomorrow morning! Hopefully the gentle wringing will help - I can see how that would add clumpiness.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curl Type: 3c
Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.
If your hair is the same length as in your avatar, it looks like it's long enough for a pineapple. All you do is dampen or wet your hair, put it up in a ponytail on top of your head. Then you get stretched out curls with a bit of volume. I do this occasionally, or sometimes I'll make it into a bun and release it when it's dry.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
Hi BekkaPoo -

I used to pineapple a lot. But, I think I didn't try wetting my hair first. I should try that. But the reason I stopped pineappling is because I was getting breakage at the nape of my neck due to sleeping in the high ponytail so much. Do you get that? It seems like it would be a common problem but I haven't seen anyone else mention it. BTW I think we might have similar hair! always looking for a hair twin ....

Anyway, basically what I want is something to make my hair stringier, I realized! I do like it bouncy and curly, but it was just kind of cool when it was longer and flatter and stringier. And it's always easy for me to fluff it out if I need a little more volume - that is never a problem for me.

~ Rhiannon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curl Type: 3c
Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.

Last edited by rhiannon; 04-06-2010 at 01:28 PM. Reason: typo
Hi BekkaPoo -

I used to pineapple a lot. But, I think I didn't try wetting my hair first. I should try that. But the reason I stopped pineappling is because I was getting breakage at the nape of my neck due to sleeping in the high ponytail so much. Do you get that? It seems like it would be a common problem but I haven't seen anyone else mention it. BTW I think we might have similar hair! always looking for a hair twin ....

Anyway, basically what I want is something to make my hair stringier, I realized! I do like it bouncy and curly, but it was just kind of cool when it was longer and flatter and stringier. And it's always easy for me to fluff it out if I need a little more volume - that is never a problem for me.

~ Rhiannon
Originally Posted by rhiannon
I see.. yeah I actually do have a bit of breakage at the front of my hairline-- maybe I should wear that part of my hair out more often to keep it from being pulled so much. If yours is in the back it is probably easier to disguise under the rest of your hair.

Maybe you just have to change the placement of your pineapple frequently to keep the breakage to a minimum, or place it closer to the nape of your neck to make your hair flatter on the top.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
I think the reason your hair turned out so nicely is the low heat in the car. You can get the same results from using a diffuser. It seems to elongate the curls and sets them nicely so that the wash-n-go lasts longer. There are two types of diffusers; one with the teeth and the other that is closed and looks like a vent. You'd have to try them both to see which one you like. Or use them both for different looks I like the vent-looking one because it doesn't disturb the hair as much. It's very subtle but does a nice job. Try it And about sleeping in scrunchies....that's a sure way to lose your hair. I lost an entire ponytail after sleeping with my hair wet in a ponytail. I was warned about it and did it anyway since nothing happened at first. After waking up to my ponytail on the pillow I had to cut my hair short....sad moment. I can laugh about it now
OMG CurlyGigi, your story about your ponytail on the pillow is the stuff of nightmares! did you have any chemicals in your hair when that happened, or was it totally healthy? OK I think I'm going to lay off the pineappling, since I have already noticed a little breakage from it.

Anyway, yes I was thinking the gentle heat may have helped, too. I have been trying to learn how to use a diffuser properly. A got one with the teeth. First time I tried, I did the "pixiecurl" method after seeing a demo from Taran (I think -- someone with gorgeous curls anyway) on youtube. That created an incredible fro on me! Kind of cool, not what I was looking for. Then I tried diffusing it straight down. Made it longer, but very flat, decent but kind of limp looking. Recently I've been just diffusing gently, letting it blow the hair around a little but not too much. Seems to be working OK. What I really want is to get a hood dryer. I might do that soon. That said, I know I could learn to use a diffuser better.

I also realized just today that part of the reason my hair turned out well (though in a stringy kind of way) that day is that I think I didn't try to clump it as much as I usually do. I think I was just too tired at 3:30 am and forgot! It seems like the thinner curls are more easily controlled by the styling products, if that makes sense. When they're all clumped together, they rise up and do their own thing, like a curl insurrection. Anyway I'm going to try the opposite of clumping - separating , I guess - tomorrow and see what happens.

Glad your ponytail has grown back!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curl Type: 3c
Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.
CurlyGigi.. dang!! That's definitely a hair horror story.. how tight was that pony tail?

I should have clarified to say that the high pony should be very loose, and preferably with a satin (or other smooth fabric) scrunchy. You only have to wrap it around twice at most.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
HI. Well, that was a nightmare about 3 years ago. About 7 yrs ago I decided to go natural and went to the Ouidad shop in NY. they suggested that I texturize my hair in order to wear it curly. I loved it. It was wonderful and I used the DevaCurl products. I went to the Devachan Shop and they cut my hair. it was great. I moved away and started to texturize it myself. Instead of texturizing it I was relaxing it and all the curl eventually came out. it was overprocessed and started to break off. The night my ponytail fell out was after showering and wrapping the scrunchie about 2 x's around. my hair was wet though. I was devastated but still didn't really know what to do to restore my hair's health. I'm just so glad that I finally stopped relaxing it as of Nov. 2009. In Jan. 2010 I cut my hair to about 6" on top and 4" in the back and now I cut all the perm out all around except a little bang area (high forehead lol anyway, I'm very happy. Can't wait till it grows back and I can wear my hair the way I used too. Of course, it'll be my own texture. Looking forward to seeing what it'll be. it's looks very similar to you two Still shy to post pictures though. I'm working up to that Thanks for caring.
HI. Well, that was a nightmare about 3 years ago. About 7 yrs ago I decided to go natural and went to the Ouidad shop in NY. they suggested that I texturize my hair in order to wear it curly. I loved it. It was wonderful and I used the DevaCurl products. I went to the Devachan Shop and they cut my hair. it was great. I moved away and started to texturize it myself. Instead of texturizing it I was relaxing it and all the curl eventually came out. it was overprocessed and started to break off. The night my ponytail fell out was after showering and wrapping the scrunchie about 2 x's around. my hair was wet though. I was devastated but still didn't really know what to do to restore my hair's health. I'm just so glad that I finally stopped relaxing it as of Nov. 2009. In Jan. 2010 I cut my hair to about 6" on top and 4" in the back and now I cut all the perm out all around except a little bang area (high forehead lol anyway, I'm very happy. Can't wait till it grows back and I can wear my hair the way I used too. Of course, it'll be my own texture. Looking forward to seeing what it'll be. it's looks very similar to you two Still shy to post pictures though. I'm working up to that Thanks for caring.
Originally Posted by Curly Gigi
Oh! that sucks!! I can relate actually, although my experience wasn't that dramatic. I finally went completely natural only because after years of texturizing, a stylist (at a ridiculous, overpriced salon in Silver Spring MD) totally overprocessed my hair. And added highlights. It got completely fried and ruined. I never did a big chop but instead I just wore my fryed hair in a short ponytail for about a year, until I had enough length to cut of the fryed parts and still wear it down. A terrible experience, but at least it got me to finally commit to totally natural hair, which I'd been wanting to do for years. Now that I am, I don't know why I was so into texturizing for so long- it really didn't make it look better. I'm also too scared to ever get highlights again, although I do get an allover color because I have some grey now, which doesn't seem to cause any damage. (So maybe I'm not technically totally natural, I don't know!) Anyway, we live and learn. I'm glad you're happy with your natural hair now, and feeling excited to see how it will be as it grows.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curl Type: 3c
Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.
Rhianon, you're the perfect person to help me with a question I have I was wondering if there's much of a difference btwn the texturized curls and the natural curls. From what you say it doesn't sound like it. That would be great because I loved my texturized hair and I'm just wondering how my hair will turn out. I'm just so glad I'm no longer a slave to all those chemicals Your story is a good one too. I'm glad you got rid of the chemicals too. I understand about coloring but I would never put highlights because I've read so many people's regrets on these forums concerning that same issue. I put highlights in my hair one time and turned my hair to straw. of course it was great at first but about a month or two later I was regretting life But as they say, "you live and learn"
OMG CurlyGigi, your story about your ponytail on the pillow is the stuff of nightmares! did you have any chemicals in your hair when that happened, or was it totally healthy? OK I think I'm going to lay off the pineappling, since I have already noticed a little breakage from it.

Anyway, yes I was thinking the gentle heat may have helped, too. I have been trying to learn how to use a diffuser properly. A got one with the teeth. First time I tried, I did the "pixiecurl" method after seeing a demo from Taran (I think -- someone with gorgeous curls anyway) on youtube. That created an incredible fro on me! Kind of cool, not what I was looking for. Then I tried diffusing it straight down. Made it longer, but very flat, decent but kind of limp looking. Recently I've been just diffusing gently, letting it blow the hair around a little but not too much. Seems to be working OK. What I really want is to get a hood dryer. I might do that soon. That said, I know I could learn to use a diffuser better.

I also realized just today that part of the reason my hair turned out well (though in a stringy kind of way) that day is that I think I didn't try to clump it as much as I usually do. I think I was just too tired at 3:30 am and forgot! It seems like the thinner curls are more easily controlled by the styling products, if that makes sense. When they're all clumped together, they rise up and do their own thing, like a curl insurrection. Anyway I'm going to try the opposite of clumping - separating , I guess - tomorrow and see what happens.

Glad your ponytail has grown back!!
Originally Posted by rhiannon

That was so funny! I regularly have insurrections myself so I get that.

My hair generally turns out well when I don't put much effort into it. The minute I start trying to achieve any sort of look it is a total disaster!

Have also found that gentle air drying, especially walking briskly in the morning with damp hair, works well for my curls (smoother, more elongated, etc).
Rhianon, you're the perfect person to help me with a question I have I was wondering if there's much of a difference btwn the texturized curls and the natural curls. From what you say it doesn't sound like it. That would be great because I loved my texturized hair and I'm just wondering how my hair will turn out. I'm just so glad I'm no longer a slave to all those chemicals Your story is a good one too. I'm glad you got rid of the chemicals too. I understand about coloring but I would never put highlights because I've read so many people's regrets on these forums concerning that same issue. I put highlights in my hair one time and turned my hair to straw. of course it was great at first but about a month or two later I was regretting life But as they say, "you live and learn"
Originally Posted by Curly Gigi
Hi CurlyGigi! For me, now that my natural hair has grown to the same length it was when texturized, there's not that much difference. I definitely like it better now, because it looks (and is) stronger and thicker and healthier. I thought it would be more of a difference, because when I had the texturizer my roots felt sooooo much curlier than the rest of my hair. But now that all of my hair is natural, it's stretched out a bit by it's own length. So it doesn't look radically different -- but definitely better (IMO) than before. Probably if you're a 3c, you'll have a similar experience once your hair is longer again. (Is it still pretty short?) Probably the more dramatic difference in texture is really if your a 4, then the chemical takes you down to a 3c or so. But if you're already a 3c, I think the chemical just makes your hair kind of flatter and limper. At least, that's what it seemed to do to me. Until it got overprocessed, and then I got straight bits in it. My hair is actually easier to manage now, in a way, because with the texturizer - even before the bad overprocessing - there were sections that would lose their curl and I'd have to scrunch those up, and then in addition the roots would be fluffier than the rest. It's much better to have all the hair be the same. Anyway, like you said, the main thing is that it's so great not to be a slave to those HORRIBLE relaxer chemicals! Honestly do I wonder why no helpful hairdresser ever suggested to me that I stop the texturizing, given that my hair is naturally curly. Why did it take a hair disaster before I figured it out on my own? A little encouragement and I would have done it a lot sooner I'm sure. Oh well.


My hair generally turns out well when I don't put much effort into it. The minute I start trying to achieve any sort of look it is a total disaster!
Originally Posted by Gabi2009
Hi Gabi! Yeah, I've found that too. My hair will turn out great when I'm not paying any attention. Then I rack my brains trying to figure out what I did! and it never works. Hmph. my idea that I needed my hair to be "stringier" was a big mistake, btw.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Curl Type: 3c
Fine, low density, not sure about porosity.

Products / Routine:
Daily shampoo & rinse-out conditioner: Currently using Tresemme Naturals.
Styling: Curls Milkshake as a leave-in conditioner, followed by Curls Gel-les'c (the kids version - it's cheaper) for hold.
Usually I air-dry, SOTC, and fluff from roots, or smooth it down. For faster drying I use a Belvedere salon hood dryer for about 20 minutes.
Hi Rhianon,

Thanks so much for that info. Yes, I'm a 3C. I love the way the curls feel but since my hair is only 2" long but much shorter curly, I don't know what they'll look like longer. What you said makes so much sense. The length will help and I won't have to worry about touch ups. I used to hate when my hair grew because it would cause so much shrinkage until the next texturizer lol
This has been encouraging. Thanks.

Last edited by Curly Gigi; 04-13-2010 at 07:01 AM. Reason: typo

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com