Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 3

Old 10-29-2011, 10:40 AM   #1

Kinkykoilyluv's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Default Suave naturals trop. coconut conditioner review

Hey naturalistas!
So Ive been using the trop cocunut conditioner for about two months and I must say, im not enjoying it. It's way too light and no consistency. What do you guys think of it? Any suggestions on what 100% natural conditioners I can try for cowashing? Help me out!

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
Kinkykoilyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 11:01 AM   #2

maycon55's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2011

Its great for co-washing but if you want mousturizing you need a RO or a LI or both.

As a rinse out I like GVP Conditioning Balm or tressemme Natural with JOJOBA oil and coconut oil. LI = KCKT.

You may need richer products depending in your hair properties but I hope this helps as a starting point.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

maycon55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:32 AM   #3

naturalnewb's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010

I use the Suave naturals line. I almost always cowash with a few mix-ins to boost the moisture or slip of this conditioner. I often add olive oil for slip and I'll throw in honey or glycerin to boost the moisture. I have also randomly used shea butter, jojoba, grapeseed oil (for slip) or a spoonful of greek yogurt (for the occasional protein boost).

And in the vein of what kinkykoilyluv noted, I always use a leave-in (I've never experimented with a rinse out conditioner).

For me, the only real drawback of Suave naturals is the smell. I've tried pomegranate, coconut, ocean breeze...I wish they'd just do an unscented version or something. While my nose might abhor it, my hair seems to love it and my wallet loves the price.

If you want to try a different conditioner, I had success with Yes to Cucumbers (the Yes to Carrots has a cone, I believe). I experimented with Giovanni conditioners as well--some people swear by it, but I will note that it didn't really do much for my hair. For a conditioner with a Suave-comparable price point, you might want to try VO5's Moisture Milk or Tresseme naturals conditioner. I haven't tried either, but a lot of people seem to love them.

naturalnewb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 08:50 AM   #4

BekkaPoo's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008

I have used Suave in the past, but the coconut condish also did nothing for me. I liked the Orange condish they had, with a bit of my own oils added to it. The condish alone was a little thicker than the coconut one, but adding the oil made it much slipperier and easy to distribute. I've even used this combo as a leave in condish with success.
"The challenge is to be yourself in a world that is trying to make you like everybody else."
"...rationality is not necessary to sell things.."
My staples: Mane n Tail (cowash), Garnier Fructis Sleek n Shine (leave in condish), Grapeseed oil or shea butter (sealing), Organic Root Stimulator Elasticitea (leave-in condish & light hold)
BekkaPoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 11:02 AM   #5

pprMACHEheart's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010

I'm a V05 Moisture Milks lover as well as a firm believer in Tresemme Naturals. Love them both. I do want to experiment with YTCs but I haven't gotten the time to have hair fun lately.
last relaxer; 082708, BC; 081810, CG; 122410
high porosity, med/coarse texture, high density, color treated
condish;TN, DevaCurl Heaven in Hair stylers; Heaven in Hair, DevaCurl Curl Cream oils;Castor Oil

YTChannel: http://www.youtube.com/user/papiermachecurls

pprMACHEheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 02:16 PM   #6

steph35's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011

I agree with the OP, I got a big bottle of the Suave Coconut and on it's own, it's nothing special. But if you add oils (Africa's Pride Herbal and castor for me) or even mix it with another conditioner- I mixed it with Cantu Shea Rinse Out- you'll get better results.

And you can't beat the price.
steph35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:52 PM   #7

Kinkykoilyluv's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011

Thanks guys! I do agree that the suave trop coconut has an unbeatable price. I will try adding some oils to it and see what the results are ! Tres naturals and vo5 sounds good too

Sent from my HTC Glacier using CurlTalk App
Kinkykoilyluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:26 PM   #8

*Marah*'s Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009

I love Suave Naturals Coconut as a co-wash/rinse out. I'd never leave it in though..the salt content in it is to drying for my hair. But I think it's fantastic and you can't beat the price! It's basically the only conditioner that I use for a co-wash besides my Tresemme Naturals (which I use for everything!). It (the Suave) rinses out really nicely, makes my hair soft, and it actually works as a co-wash for me because it doesn't leave a heavy coating behind.

For an organic and natural conditioner.. Aubrey Organics is good. They have all sorts of types..check out www.vitacost.com for excellent price points on the AO line. But vitacost also has all different types of natural and organic products you may want to check out.
*Marah* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 01:02 PM   #9

pinkwolf's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007

I am a HUGE Suave naturals fan especially the Tropical Coconut and the Juicy Apple. I alternate between these and the Tresumme Naturals Avocado.

For a deep conditioner I mix either one of these with honey and EVOO.
*Natural 3C*
SB, EVCO, EVOO
pinkwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 12:59 PM   #10

Join Date: Jun 2010

I've used the suave coconut condish in the past. For the price it worked great as a co-wash. Its only my go to product if I run out of my Deva products and need something to hold me over until I re-up.
Big Chop: 9/2013

Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 AM   #11

NaturalRemedy's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2006
Send a message via AIM to NaturalRemedy

Not a fan. I dropped all of the suave conditioners. I had to use half the bottle just to get my hair to feel slightly moisturized.
Mostly 3c and lovin' my curls

This is not a fashion trend, it's not a statement, it's pride for who we are and what we look like. And that is where our true beauty shines.

NaturalRemedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:21 PM   #12

BlackAngelPlayah's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011

As was said, it was great for cowashing, but that's about it. It's too light for anything else.

Jen

😜🍸Sent LIVE from my JPhone 4 using some CurlTalk app. 😜🍸

FroZen
BlackAngelPlayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 12:46 PM   #13

Smile

I tried the coconut suave and was also not impressed. i have read many ppls regimens and I must say they are rather long( but hey whatever works for you). I absolutly love Shea Moisture Conditioner. I use the following product and get soft manageable hair for days( however it took me a while to discover this combimation).And the best part is they can ALL be found in CVS and Walgreens.

Hair Type- 3c with slight 4a
Co-wash- Shea Moisture Raw Shea Butter
Giovanni Direct Leave in
Organix Nourshing Cocnut Milk Anti-Breakage Serum
Shea Moisture Cream Milk
Old 01-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #14

Join Date: Sep 2011

Cancel the Organix Nourshing Coconut Milk Serum- I no longer use this since I found out it has "cones".
Old 02-06-2012, 01:54 PM   #15

Join Date: Sep 2011

Ok so I did some research and experimented .... Coconut suave naturals with some jojoba oil.... Huge difference ... I now like it
Old 02-06-2012, 06:03 PM   #16

puppitypup's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010

I've tried suave conditioner as well, and I didnt really like it... it dried out my hair :/
3C, fine/med texture, normal porosity, high elasticity, very defined spiral

Holy Grail Products: TRESemme Naturals conditioner, my mango/shea butter mixture, Apricot Kernel Oil, Coconut Oil, EVOO & Cantu Shea Butter

Check out my blog: http://ricciolina.wordpress.com
puppitypup is offline   Reply With Quote