CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   3 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/3/)
-   -   Jelly recommendations and comparisons (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/3/145212-jelly-recommendations-comparisons.html)

MKcurly 05-28-2012 06:47 PM

Jelly recommendations and comparisons
 
I want to try a jelly instead of a gel. I have fine hair with low porosity. I'm most interested in hearing options about UFD curl magic, DM miracurl and CRN curl maker. If there are others great ones that i've missed please share about that too. There are similar threads in the 4 section but I want to hear what 3s and 2s think of them. TIA

kathymack 05-29-2012 05:13 AM

My hair doesn't care for the chemicals in most gels, so I only use jelly product. I, like many others, rotate products because my hair satiates on product--even back in my shampoo/conditioner only days. I wet, use a rinse out and style every day. Seldom use any one product more then once every five days, if that. What you use under your jelly product is as important as the jelly.

Currently, my favorite line is Curly Kinks. I really like the Coil Jam, but it's the Satin Roots or Curlycue ReNew as a leave in that is really terrific. They go well under any of the jelly products. I gave up KCCC a while ago, liked the KC TT Moisturizing Styler better; however, the KCCC works really well with either of the CK products.

Other regular jellies in my rotation are the UFD Curly Magic, Donna Marie Gelly, Botanical Spirits Puree and Gelee, As I Am Curling Jelly and homemade FSG. Haven't tried the CRN Curl Maker. Have to order it now, LOL!

poemaXX 05-29-2012 12:33 PM

What about Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly? I absolutely looooove it. <3 I get mine at vitacost.com.

MKcurly 05-30-2012 08:58 AM

Thanks for the responses!

I already have one perfect product combo, CJCCCL CJCQ and BSRHG. I've already learned that I need to rotate products. Formerly I used the HE gels but since they have been reformulated SMU doesn't work for me and with TT I need to use so much that it more expensive then using a boutique product.

Poemaxx: Do you use anything else with the AOMM? I can get that on the ground so it's very tempting to try.

Kathymac: It looks like you've tried nearly everything! Plus we have similar hair properties!! Do any of them have a med-hard hold? I just want to order one thing new off line at a time. What's your second favorite? I don't know if I want to buy a new leave in too lol. However I'm still on the hunt for an HG RO have you used the curlycue renew as a ro or just as a leave in?

kathymack 05-30-2012 12:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKcurly (Post 1963033)
Thanks for the responses!

I already have one perfect product combo, CJCCCL CJCQ and BSRHG. I've already learned that I need to rotate products. Formerly I used the HE gels but since they have been reformulated SMU doesn't work for me and with TT I need to use so much that it more expensive then using a boutique product.

Poemaxx: Do you use anything else with the AOMM? I can get that on the ground so it's very tempting to try.

Kathymac: It looks like you've tried nearly everything! Plus we have similar hair properties!! Do any of them have a med-hard hold? I just want to order one thing new off line at a time. What's your second favorite? I don't know if I want to buy a new leave in too lol. However I'm still on the hunt for an HG RO have you used the curlycue renew as a ro or just as a leave in?

Since learning how to take care of my hair on nc.com, my curl pattern has tightened and strengthened. I really don't need much in the way of hold, so it's hard to advise in that area. Never knew why gels caused me frizz. It's the chemicals they usually have.

Only used the Curlycue ReNew as a leave in, but I'm sure that you could use it as a rinse out. My favorite rinse out is Sevi Pumpkin Seed Conditioner.

SaraNoH 05-30-2012 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 1962535)
What about Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly? I absolutely looooove it. <3 I get mine at vitacost.com.

So I was looking up the ingredients for this... what in the world is "Earth Smoke"? hahaha... well, it still goes on my wish list.

curvesncurls 05-30-2012 07:31 PM

I got a half-full bottle of the AOMM off the swap board and I have to say I hated it. It was not a "gel" as I would define it. Very watery with really no hold at all. Although, to be fair I never got a brand new bottle so I can't say with 100% certainty that this is how the product normally is. Regardless, it was a big bust for me and something I would never repurchase.

kimmidawn 05-30-2012 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 1962535)
What about Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly? I absolutely looooove it. <3 I get mine at vitacost.com.

What type of hold would you say this has?

poemaXX 05-31-2012 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKcurly (Post 1963033)
Thanks for the responses!
Poemaxx: Do you use anything else with the AOMM? I can get that on the ground so it's very tempting to try.

I use either AOHR as a moisturizing RO or AOGBP for a protein boost RO depending on how my hair is feeling. Then I apply Mandarin Magic to wet hair until it feels "seaweedy". I haven't had to use a leave-in with it. I do sometimes seal with coconut oil though, especially if it's humid out. HTH!


Quote:

Originally Posted by SaraNoH (Post 1963393)
Quote:

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 1962535)
What about Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly? I absolutely looooove it. <3 I get mine at vitacost.com.

So I was looking up the ingredients for this... what in the world is "Earth Smoke"? hahaha... well, it still goes on my wish list.

Earth Smoke is some sort of plant. Mandarin Magic Jelly has several herbs I don't really know the purpose of (allegedly "eight hair-nourishing Chinese herbals"). Works for me, so I don't mind! :)


Quote:

Originally Posted by curvesncurls (Post 1963414)
I got a half-full bottle of the AOMM off the swap board and I have to say I hated it. It was not a "gel" as I would define it. Very watery with really no hold at all. Although, to be fair I never got a brand new bottle so I can't say with 100% certainty that this is how the product normally is. Regardless, it was a big bust for me and something I would never repurchase.

The fact that it isn't a gel is what I love about it though. I have a thick head of hair and I hated the heavy feeling a lot of gels left in my hair. I also hate crunch and product flaking. Ugh. Anyway, I think the product is as you purchased it not as thick as most gels I've tried and not sticky. However, I find it gives me great shine and clumps, but as these boards are evidence of each mane of curly hair has a mind of its own! Hope you've found products that work for your locks. :toothy4:

Quote:

Originally Posted by kimmidawn (Post 1963527)
Quote:

Originally Posted by poemaXX (Post 1962535)
What about Aubrey Organics Mandarin Magic Jelly? I absolutely looooove it. <3 I get mine at vitacost.com.

What type of hold would you say this has?

I want to say it has a soft hold because it doesn't stiffen and crunch like other gels. However, I find it defines my curls well and makes them shiny. It's an unusual product definitely hit or miss according to what I've read on the boards. It's my HG. <3

MKcurly 06-08-2012 09:41 AM

I was able to get some SS CEJ and DM Miracurl from the swap boards. I can't get either one to work for me. Any tips?

Curlsnswirls 06-08-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MKcurly (Post 1969949)
I was able to get some SS CEJ and DM Miracurl from the swap boards. I can't get either one to work for me. Any tips?

SSCEJ works best for me mixed with either the SSFHG or KCCC. I've heard some mix the CEJ and DM Miracurls with good results. I used the SSCEJ/KCCC mix over a curl cream with awesome results. Hope you can find a combo that works.

amydd 06-27-2012 01:34 PM

gf (glycerin free)
 
Kathy Mack,
Are any of your jellies GF? My hair gets weighed down with glycerin.



3a, fine, colored, low porosity
CJDF, GCS, BDC, CIAB, AF, CCCLITE, KKKKC, KCKT, SS

amydd 06-27-2012 01:48 PM

Kathy Mack,
Are any of your jellies GF? My hair gets weighed down with glycerin.



3a, fine, colored, low porosity
CJDF, GCS, BDC, CIAB, AF, CCCLITE, KKKKC, KCKT, SS

jsuzkelley 06-27-2012 02:36 PM

I've been really liking UFD Curly Magic; it is similar to KCCC (although a little bit lighter and I like it better). I also like the Botanical Spirits Magic Curls Puree and Stretch Curls Gelee. The UFD curly magic and the BS puree are both glycerin free.


UFD curly magic ingredients:
Organic Aloe Vera Juice, Aqueous-Infused Extracts of Marshmallow, Chamomile, Nettle, Horsetail, Vitamin E, Agave Nectar Extract, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate and Natural Fragrance.

BS puree ingredients: Botanical Spirits Herbal Complex SC™ Infused in Water, Aloe Vera Leaf Juice, Gelo'Ease™ (Botanical Spirits Gelling Complex) Lubo'Moist EM™ (Emmolient & Moisturizer Complex) Panthenol (Vit.B5), MSM (Methylsulfonylmethane), Calendula Flower Extract, Gluconolactone, Sodium Benzoate, Potassium Sorbate, Enssential Oils Blend.

kathymack 06-27-2012 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amydd (Post 1983126)
Kathy Mack,
Are any of your jellies GF? My hair gets weighed down with glycerin.



3a, fine, colored, low porosity
CJDF, GCS, BDC, CIAB, AF, CCCLITE, KKKKC, KCKT, SS

Personally, I don't have any issues with glycerin. jsuzkelley gave you a few, only other one thsat I can think of is CJ Pattern Pusha.

Fifi.G 07-01-2012 01:55 PM

I'm still experimenting in the world of jelly's and gels. I rarely used them, for 18 years. I liked (or was more used to) hair lotions, puddings or mousse.

So far I have only tried one jelly, and I love it. It's As I Am Curling Jelly. It reacts very well with my hair. Several gels can leave my hair feeling dry but this jelly keeps it soft, once I scrunch the crunch out.

Worn out iPhone. Need I say more?


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:13 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com