CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   3 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/3/)
-   -   hair shrinkage (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/3/3064-hair-shrinkage.html)

LBGsk8tr 06-28-2005 12:40 PM

hair shrinkage
 
Someone please help! I am a 3c with medium textured hair that is about 4-6 inches long. The problem is, is that the longer my hair gets, the more it shrinks when it is dry. I use curls coconut to max conditoner to wash with, aveda's elixir leave in conditoner, rockin' ringletts, and qhemet honeybush hair tea. Oh, and my hair is pretty well defined corkscrews the diameter of a coffee straw (except for a strange patch of hair at the top of my head). Could someone please suggest a product or a series of products to help me? I'm so desperate I've thought about relaxing again.

LipGlassHoney 06-28-2005 04:48 PM

Is shrinkage such a bad thing? Don't relax your hair, relax you mind honey. I'm a 3b/c and I get plenty of shrinkage too. My corkscrews aren't as small as yours though. I've heard that Curly Pudding by Curve Salon is good for shrinkage. What products are you currently using

Amneris 06-28-2005 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LipGlassHoney
Is shrinkage such a bad thing? Don't relax your hair, relax you mind honey. I'm a 3b/c and I get plenty of shrinkage too. My corkscrews aren't as small as yours though. I've heard that Curly Pudding by Curve Salon is good for shrinkage. What products are you currently using

CP is good for shrinkage, but I am finding it bothers me less and less. I know the length is there and I can always press it out once in a while to see it without having to relax.

LipGlassHoney 06-28-2005 05:10 PM

Shrinkage doesn't really bother me much either. I promised to love my hair however it decided to grow so I just roll with it.

LBGsk8tr 06-28-2005 05:35 PM

Hey LipGlassHoney,
Thanks for helping me re-evaluate my way of thinking. I checked out your other website and I think that my hair looks alot like yours (but alot shorter). What products do you use?

LipGlassHoney 06-28-2005 05:41 PM

I actually just decided to grow it out again. Well right now I wet my hair, apply ORS Hair Mayonnaise and then ORS Carrot oil and Elasta QP Mango Butter. That's really it right now. I used to use Elucence and probably will go back because I love it but this the regimen that I used when my hair was super long and super healthy. Just trying it out for a few months.

Ladydncing 06-28-2005 06:31 PM

Did you say Rockin Ringlets by Jessicurl?

Jessicurl didn't recommend that for my hair because it really enhances your curls. It makes my hair very curly! Her CCSS is much better for our hair type. However, I do use RR depending the look I want to acheive or to target those wavy sections. HTH

LipGlassHoney 06-28-2005 06:50 PM

I couldn't stand Confident Coils. I actually want to try Rockin Ringlets. The CC was way too hard

hondurancurly123 06-28-2005 07:00 PM

maybe you should take the rockin ringlets out cause that is used to make your curls tighter i think not looser and if that doesnt work just live with your shrinkage i kinga like mine on my new growth i have 3b 3c hair and i like that shrinkage make my curls extra bouncy

Ladydncing 06-28-2005 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LipGlassHoney
I couldn't stand Confident Coils. I actually want to try Rockin Ringlets. The CC was way too hard

One thing I did notice about Jessicurl line is that they don't work as well with other products. They tend to work very well with her line, IMO. If it's a Jessicurl day, I need to use the whole line and not mix it with anything else.
Also, you need to apply it to soaking wet hair.

ETA: The only other product that I was able to use with her line was Elucence MBC anything else gave me a white film on my hair.

LipGlassHoney 06-28-2005 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ladydncing
Quote:

Originally Posted by LipGlassHoney
I couldn't stand Confident Coils. I actually want to try Rockin Ringlets. The CC was way too hard

One thing I did notice about Jessicurl line is that they don't work as well with other products. They tend to work very well with her line, IMO. If it's a Jessicurl day, I need to use the whole line and not mix it with anything else.
Also, you need to apply it to soaking wet hair.

ETA: The only other product that I was able to use with her line was Elucence MBC anything else gave me a white film on my hair.

Right on Ladydancing, I will try this next time!!!

Coily 07-01-2005 10:54 AM

Shrinkage is a funny thing, on most days I deal with it now that I am doing this 100% natural thing.

It looks like I have this tight wig on my head. I laugh at it :lol: .

I pull out a strand it touches the lower half of my neck and that is just the back of my head.

It does not bother me as it used to. I guess next step for those going through this is getting your mind out of length instead start thinking of how beautiful your hair is now.

My fiance and I were talking about my hair today. He was picking it out and he noticed that each he pick it out it would shrink again.

We laughed :lol: I told him that I just let it do what it is going to do. I cannot fight it anymore.

subbrock 07-02-2005 02:12 PM

i just accept the fact that my hair shrinks up. ive spent lots of time and money looking for products that are supposed to help with shrinkage, but my hair laughs at them and shrinks up anyway.

and on the jessicurl topic, rockin ringlets and confident coils both make my hair hard/crunchy. i use gelebration spray on occassion and i like that the best out of her styling products. its light but gives hold.

XxVonDucheSsexX 07-02-2005 05:57 PM

Re: hair shrinkage
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBGsk8tr
Someone please help! I am a 3c with medium textured hair that is about 4-6 inches long. The problem is, is that the longer my hair gets, the more it shrinks when it is dry. I use curls coconut to max conditoner to wash with, aveda's elixir leave in conditoner, rockin' ringletts, and qhemet honeybush hair tea. Oh, and my hair is pretty well defined corkscrews the diameter of a coffee straw (except for a strange patch of hair at the top of my head). Could someone please suggest a product or a series of products to help me? I'm so desperate I've thought about relaxing again.

I have the same problem :(

Viv 07-04-2005 10:57 AM

You might try doing two strand twists or braiding, that will give you some length and more uniform definition. Curly Pudding also helps with lengthening out curl a bit.

jcce23 07-04-2005 11:05 AM

You can also use a diffuser to elongate your curls after adding your products. Good luck! :wink:

subbrock 07-05-2005 08:47 PM

shingling products in helps too!

Doc 07-07-2005 07:28 PM

I agree with Viv; I'm a big fan of two strand twisting. I only wash my hair once a week.I spritz my hair lightly each night to add moisture(I use a 1:1 mixture of water and KMS daily treatment but use whatever works for you),and then I make about 12 to16 twists and undo them in the morning. Once undone I apply a 15 to 20 second blast of heat while pulling the curls downward. I find this stretches the curls.
I've heard a lot of good things about fantasia IC Hair Polisher ice pomade and tonight I'm trying it for the first time, so far I'm really liking the way it feels. I find it weighs the curls down really well while clumping them. I'll know for sure tomorrow when I undo the twists. I hope this helps. Just think long and hard about relaxing, because once it's done, there's no going back! :)

Doc 07-07-2005 07:32 PM

P.S
WARM HEAT, NOT HOT!

Ladydncing 07-07-2005 09:34 PM

Re: hair shrinkage
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by LBGsk8tr
I use curls coconut to max conditoner to wash with

Hello,

I just caught this. This has nothing to do with your shrinkage, but I noticed that you said that you use Coconut to the Max Conditoner to wash. I am going to assume since you said wash that you are on CG? If you are, this is not a good conditoner if you are following this routine. It has the evil cone, Cyclopetasiloxane :evil: . If you use it, you need sulfate to wash it out. I bought it and used it, thinking that it was CG friendly.

ETA: I know that Curls line is coming out with a CG friendly conditioner (think it's the one made with green tea)/ line to meet the needs of those following the routine. I may give this a try in the far future. :wink:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:35 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com