CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   3 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/3/)
-   -   Thinking about chopping off my hair - UPDATE, I DID IT!!! (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/3/5930-thinking-about-chopping-off-my-hair-update-i-did.html)

Layali 02-11-2006 01:30 PM

Thinking about chopping off my hair - UPDATE, I DID IT!!!
 
My hair is currently mid-back length and recently I've gotten the urge to cut it in an angled, chin-length, bob style. The only thing holding me back is fearing that I'll regret it.

I don't know, I just feel like a change...

eccentric_kurlz 02-11-2006 03:36 PM

Don't you DARE cut all that beautiful hair off! :x

J/K :wink: :)

Sometimes change is good. I just wouldn't go as extreme. That's a HUGE change. Maybe you can take alittle length off to see how you like it. And if you still feel the urge to cut, then go for it. :) It's only hair, right? You can always grow it back. But I would just try a less than extreme cut first before diving right into it. Like you said, you don't want to regret going off of an impulse.

Nessy 02-11-2006 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shyygirl723
Don't you DARE cut all that beautiful hair off! :x

J/K :wink: :)

Sometimes change is good. I just wouldn't go as extreme. That's a HUGE change. Maybe you can take alittle length off to see how you like it. And if you still feel the urge to cut, then go for it. :) It's only hair, right? You can always grow it back. But I would just try a less than extreme cut first before diving right into it. Like you said, you don't want to regret going off of an impulse.

i absolutely agree - don't go too short right away. cut off a little bit of length and see if you like it. in my opinion going from long hair to chin length is a bit drastic.

Layali 02-11-2006 04:43 PM

LOL @ shyygirl!

Thanks for your input, ladies. My friends said the same thing. Maybe I'll take some baby steps with a BSL cut and gradually go shorter.

Gloria Reuben's cut inspired me to think about going short. It looks great on her, doesn't it?

mlora 02-11-2006 04:45 PM

I totally agree! Proceed with caution. Go slowly. (I'm standing behind the blinking yellow light surrounded by warning triangles and orange cones, waving the white flag ). :lol:

I was midback too and went chin length in one swoop. It was a really cute style and I loved it at first (even though it made me feel off balance for awhile). However, after the newness wore off, I began to really miss my length. Little things began to bug me like the way my hair wouldn't lie down like it used to and how the curl was different shorter. I finally decided to let it grow out again. Now I'm dealing with those awful inbetween stages and realizing just how long it took me to get to that length. :( (Oh, I could kick myself! lol)

Maybe you could get a few inches cut in addition to some face framing layers. That might provide you with the nice change you're craving without going so drastic. It's better to regret a few inches rather than a few feet.

Layali 02-11-2006 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlora
I totally agree! Proceed with caution. Go slowly. (I'm standing behind the blinking yellow light surrounded by warning triangles and orange cones, waving the white flag ). :lol:

:lol:
Caution?? What's that?? I tend to be kind of an impulsive person so THANK YOU for sharing your experience. I think I'll stick with BSL for now, but maybe change the style up a little...

P.S. How are you liking this snow, shyygirl? I love how people are freaking out around here :P

eccentric_kurlz 02-11-2006 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layali

P.S. How are you liking this snow, shyygirl? I love how people are freaking out around here :P

People ALWAYS trip around here when it snows. After living in Chicago for almost two years and then coming back home, I can laugh at everyone going into a frenzy. I guess the fact that the snow removal in Illinois is MUCH better than in the DC area changes how I look at it. Ten inches is nothing in Chicago. No snow days for the kiddies there. And here.........if it's a light dusting, kids get out of school. :?

klloydmajestic 02-13-2006 06:39 PM

I can see how you were inspired by Gloria's hair. . . how cute is her hair?!!! I also agree, go slowly, proceed with caution. You can always cut more off later, but you can't glue it back on, and extensions are a pain in the @$$!

bubbles76 02-14-2006 06:40 AM

Layali, maybe you could get a nice wig like hers to test drive on your hair first before you do a drastic cut? Or do like the others said and get layers framed around your face or go BSL. But I would try for the wig. It would cost as much as a cut too.

jazzijenni81 02-14-2006 05:51 PM

Re: Thinking about chopping off my hair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Layali
My hair is currently mid-back length and recently I've gotten the urge to cut it in an angled, chin-length, bob style. The only thing holding me back is fearing that I'll regret it.

I don't know, I just feel like a change...

maybe im a little more bold than most...but if you want to cut your hair, cut it! 8)

not directed to you layali, but what is the big friggin deal w long hair! please tell me! please! i get compliments on my hair all the time, but it seems as if short hair is the devil! wtf! i dont get it? :shock:

klloydmajestic 02-14-2006 07:49 PM

Re: Thinking about chopping off my hair
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jazzijenni81
maybe im a little more bold than most...but if you want to cut your hair, cut it! 8)

not directed to you layali, but what is the big friggin deal w long hair! please tell me! please! i get compliments on my hair all the time, but it seems as if short hair is the devil! wtf! i dont get it? :shock:

I know! wtf :?: :!: Ever since I've been growing out my hair everyone has been going on about it and how I should never cut it again. I'm thinking to myself, fine, you want to pay for the extra products and time it takes to take care of it every day?! There's nothing wrong with short hair at all. All I caution against is that you can always cut off more, but if you cut off too much, then it will take longer to "fix" than not cutting enough :wink:

Layali 02-14-2006 09:15 PM

Re: Thinking about chopping off my hair
 
Yeah, jazzijenni, I donít really get the obsession with long hair either. Traditionally, itís been a sign of femininity and beauty, but this way of thinking is pretty outdated IMO. Iíve had shorter cuts and I will say that long hair is more versatile in terms of styling, but both have their pros and cons.

I totally get what youíre saying, klloydmajestic. Everyone seems to have an opinion about my hair, even perfect strangers. The other day, I was waiting in line at Chipotle and this guy behind me puts his HANDS ALL UP IN MY HAIR and says, ďGirl, donít you ever cut this hair.Ē I just blew him off, but whatís it to him??...and why was he touching me? :x

bubbles76 02-14-2006 09:17 PM

Well, I love long and short hair. Not short hair on me, because I've been told it would make me look old. On me, I prefer it longer. But I suggested to Layali a wig, because it seemed more like an impulse thing than really her wanting to get a change for a particular reason. At least then she'd get to see what her hair would look like without having to regret cutting it off.

You bring up some good points about having shorter hair. Less expense on products, less time, etc. Also some people say "don't cut off your long hair" because maybe they've never had it really long before, so it would seem a shame for them to see someone else cut off their long hair. I don't think I'd want my hair to be past brastrap, though. TOO much work to even think about.

Layali 02-26-2006 04:39 PM

Okay, Okay...so I couldn't resist. I cut my hair yesterday...It's hovering around shoulder-length now. You know what, though? I LOVE it!!! The stylist did a great job. The curls fall so well now and my head feels so LIGHT!!!

I am really loving it...I'll try to post pics within the next few days for those who are interested.

susu 02-26-2006 04:44 PM

Yes, PLEASE post pics!!!

Your hair was gorgeous before, and I'm sure it looks gorgeous now. :D Glad you're happy with it!

eccentric_kurlz 02-26-2006 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Layali
Okay, Okay...so I couldn't resist. I cut my hair yesterday...It's hovering around shoulder-length now. You know what, though? I LOVE it!!! The stylist did a great job. The curls fall so well now and my head feels so LIGHT!!!

I am really loving it...I'll try to post pics within the next few days for those who are interested.

Good for you! :)

I'm happy you're loving your new cut. You MUST post pics, girlie! Oh, and tell me where you went just incase I get the itch too. :wink: I need to get my hair professionally styled anyway.

eccentric_kurlz 02-26-2006 05:12 PM

Oops. :oops:

Layali 02-27-2006 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shyygirl723
Good for you! :)

I'm happy you're loving your new cut. You MUST post pics, girlie! Oh, and tell me where you went just incase I get the itch too. :wink: I need to get my hair professionally styled anyway.


Oh, I went to Yodit at Salon Cielo in Dupont Circle. She's great and really knows what she's doing. I really like the atmosphere of the salon too. The staff/clientele are multicultural and very down-to-earth. Also, the prices are reasonable.

You should check her out. :D

Discgirl 03-01-2006 07:19 AM

NO!!!!!!!!! Don't go to Yodit. She's been my hair stylist for 2+ years. I don't want it to be anymore difficult to get an appointment. She's fantastic with hair and a great person.

How did you discover Yodit?

Layali 03-01-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discgirl
NO!!!!!!!!! Don't go to Yodit. She's been my hair stylist for 2+ years. I don't want it to be anymore difficult to get an appointment. She's fantastic with hair and a great person.

How did you discover Yodit?

The secret's out of the bag.

Actually, I found out about Yodit from you. :lol: I did a search and found your numerous raves about her. So, thank you very much. :D


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 04:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com