Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 3

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By MissKinkyCoily

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 12:21 AM   #1
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,630
Send a message via AIM to helloyellowbird
Default Using Vaseline on hair...

I know under the rule book of all things curly & holy that it's a "no"... but...I couldn't resist. After seeing a girl on another forum with healthy thigh length hair I thought that I'll give it a shot (she only uses melted Vaseline). So, I put 2tsp of Vaseline in a cup and warmed it up in the microwave, then I lightly put it on my hair and myyy. My hair looks really good! I think I probably need to use 1tsp next time but I like it. Anyone ever used Vase on hair? I'm going to try it for a month.
helloyellowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 02:35 AM   #2
 
millie_(A)TCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 403
Default

did you put it on wet or dry hair, did you add anything else or just that?
__________________
3c/4a. Very Fine and Thin.
Moisturizers: QB Burdock Root butter creme, Curl Junkie, Abba Pure Gentle leave-in
Styling Products: Curls Souffle, Curl Junkie Coffee Creme
Curl Cremes: Jessicurl Confident Coils
Conditioners: Deva Curl One, Mixed Chics DC, Nature's Gate Biotin
DT:AO Honeysuckle Rose, Coconut oil.
millie_(A)TCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,630
Send a message via AIM to helloyellowbird
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by millie_(A)TCK View Post
did you put it on wet or dry hair, did you add anything else or just that?
I put it on wet hair. I only used Vaseline.
helloyellowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #4
 
sistahmaryisis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 157
Default

Vaseline makes my hair heavy and sticky, even when it's just a small amount . . . I can't use it
sistahmaryisis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:21 PM   #5
 
Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,020
Default

That's old school. We used it when we were kids, also on our skin. I prefer shea butter, and other butters and oils.
__________________
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2008, 10:49 PM   #6
 
subbrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,312
Send a message via AIM to subbrock
Default

never used it and personally i wouldnt start. there are so many other things out there that are actually good for your hair that can give you the same results. plus i doubt the vaseline has anything to do with the woman having thigh length hair.
subbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 01:43 AM   #7
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,630
Send a message via AIM to helloyellowbird
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by subbrock View Post
never used it and personally i wouldnt start. there are so many other things out there that are actually good for your hair that can give you the same results. plus i doubt the vaseline has anything to do with the woman having thigh length hair.
What do you suggest? I value you're opinion
helloyellowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:17 AM   #8
 
subbrock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 9,312
Send a message via AIM to subbrock
Default

well i think suburbanwas right on target when she suggested butters or oils. i dont have any personal experience using butters, but im a big fan of oils (olive, sweet almond, grapeseed, jojoba, etc.). they add shine and allow moisture to get into your hair as well as sealing moisture in.
subbrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:37 AM   #9
 
afrodominican1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 639
Default

When i used vaseline my scalp itched like crazy. Just like the others have said there are other products out there that can give you the same results without clogging up your scalp. plus vaseline attracts dirt and lint so quickly, i would find myself using shampoo more often.
__________________
"How long will you simple ones love your simple ways? How long will mockers delight in mockery and fools hate knowledge? If you had responded to my rebuke, I would have poured out my heart to you and made my thoughts known to you." Proverbs 1:22-23
AND PROUD!
BC: 2/16/08
Second BC: 12/22/10
Goal Length: MBL Curly

http://www.fotki.com/afrodominican1
Princess Tiara, Guardian of the Crystal Heart of the Indigo Seas, in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
afrodominican1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 11:26 AM   #10
 
Nappy_curly_crown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 4,147
Send a message via Yahoo to Nappy_curly_crown
Default

I know the lady (although I think she's a teen) u are refering to and she does have BEAUTIFUL thigh length 3c/4a hair (i think its 4a but cause of the length has streched out a bit...i dunno)...but I think her length is due to genetics AND the fact that she only wears buns, twists, braids and ponytails.

You can give the vaseoline a try. I mean as a kid, my mother would "grease" my scalp and hair 2-3 a week and it was down my back when I graduated high school...so I'm not gonna knock it.

I think the thing that most people are pointing to is that the very thing that makes vaseoline appealing (it locks in moisture when your hair is wet) is the very thing that makes it bad for you (blocks OUT moisture when your hair is dry). Its a gamble to use, cause you run the risk of making already dry hair even MORE dry and brittle.

Using natural oils (olive, sweet almond, grapeseed, rice bran) is better because while they seal in moisture, they still allow moisture from the air to penatrate the hair shaft as well. Mixed with a butter like shea, mango, or even some of the exotic butters (olive, aweet almond, ect.) will be a much healther route for your hair.

hope this explains a bit better
__________________
Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!
_____________________________
I like my men and my hair....KINKY!!!!
_____________________________
Wanna save $10 off your next purchase at vitacost.com? Use my referal code (click the link)!



Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Nappy_curly_crown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #11
Banned
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,630
Send a message via AIM to helloyellowbird
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown View Post
I know the lady (although I think she's a teen) u are refering to and she does have BEAUTIFUL thigh length 3c/4a hair (i think its 4a but cause of the length has streched out a bit...i dunno)...but I think her length is due to genetics AND the fact that she only wears buns, twists, braids and ponytails.

You can give the vaseoline a try. I mean as a kid, my mother would "grease" my scalp and hair 2-3 a week and it was down my back when I graduated high school...so I'm not gonna knock it.

I think the thing that most people are pointing to is that the very thing that makes vaseoline appealing (it locks in moisture when your hair is wet) is the very thing that makes it bad for you (blocks OUT moisture when your hair is dry). Its a gamble to use, cause you run the risk of making already dry hair even MORE dry and brittle.

Using natural oils (olive, sweet almond, grapeseed, rice bran) is better because while they seal in moisture, they still allow moisture from the air to penatrate the hair shaft as well. Mixed with a butter like shea, mango, or even some of the exotic butters (olive, aweet almond, ect.) will be a much healther route for your hair.

hope this explains a bit better
Thanks! I already use Olive Oil but I was looking for something else. Where can I buy shea butter?
helloyellowbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 04:19 PM   #12
 
GuyanaGal718's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 207
Send a message via AIM to GuyanaGal718
Default

Vaseline just sounds like it would clog your hair pores. I wouldn't try it; vaseline isn't natural.
__________________
A 3b/3c/ curlicious combo with a sprinkle of 4a.
The Big Chop August. 2006
Natural Diva since 2005.
Tracklete Star!
GuyanaGal718 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:45 PM   #13
 
MissKinkyCoily's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 827
Default

I used to love me some Vaseline, LOL. It was one of my HG's (for both skin and hair) before I discovered the dangers of petrolatum. Now, I use Carols Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey, which works just as good. Now I just need to find something to used on my body that wil give me that long lasting shine.
CurliesFTW_xo likes this.
__________________
5 YEARS OF FABULOUS NAPPYNESS


Last Relaxer: August 2003
Final Chop: October 2004

Photos: http://public.fotki.com/MissKinkyCoily/ : December 2009 Updates


MissKinkyCoily is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com