I "rake" product in at my scalp. I stick my fingers through my hair and try to rake, squish and squeeze product onto the first couple of inches of hair from my scalp, I feel around a bit to make sure I get everything evenly distributed. Obviously I do this as my head is flipped upside down so all of my hair hangs over the tub. Then I squish only, no raking, the length of the rest of my hair. I only squish the length because raking breaks up the clumps too much and I end up with more frizz than clumpy curls. The squishing does break up some of the larger clumps but I'm ok with that. I also prefer squishing because it helps to squeeze out excess water and products before I plop, so that the airdrying doesn't take all day.
The difference to me between squish and scrunch is Squishing involves applying product to wet hair and Scrunching involves "de-crunching" a gel cast after your hair is dry.
Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren