Hi everyone, I've been thinking about this a lot lately, and I thought I'd post about it. Hands down the most useful thing I've done to lose weight is to totally change the way I think about food. I grew up in a very "Clean you plat, meat-potato-veggies, 3 square meals a day, dinner-then-dessert, and food-as-reward" household.

First off, just learning to say no to sweets was huge. In my mind, sweets was a treat, a reward. Something you never turned down, because it represented success. Well, not any more. I've gotten very good at never buying sweets myself, and even turning them down when offered.

Second, you don't need meat, starch, and vegetables at every meal. For example, if you know you're going to eat a lot of meat, don't even make a starch to go with it. You'll fill up without it! Actually, I've taken to eating mostly low-carb and often have 2 veggies at dinner with my meat (chicken or fish).

Third, only eat when you are hungry. And never, ever eat something you don't want to eat. Sometimes I would wake on the weekends (late a.m.) and eat breakfast. Then 2 hours later I would have lunch, even though I wasn't hungry. It makes a lot more sense to me to just eat lunch when I get up on those occasions. Who says you can't have a sandwich for breakfast?

And finally, although I try to eat healthy all the time, sometimes I just want some junk food. When I KNOW I'm going to eat an ice cream sunday after dinner, and then feel sick from having eaten too much, I just skip dinner. It's taken me years to get out of the mindset that you MUST eat things containing vitamins 3x per day. Substituting a hot fundge sundae for dinner every few months won't kill you.

So I guess I'm not really looking for advice or anything, i just want to share my experiences. The way I thought about food was seriously hindering my weightloss attempts. Figuring out why I ate the way I did was very helpful. Now I eat way more fruits and veggies, a healthy amount of calories, and very very little junk food. And I'm actually happy doing it.
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON