I like to read adventure, death-defying type books. Accounts of mountaineering expeditions gone awry and the like.

They make me feel that my life is so easy by comparison, but also remind me of the awesomeness of human endurance. And to try to do things I think I cannot.

Some examples: Into Thin Air, Into the Void, The Perfect Storm.
Originally Posted by sfcurlee
This was such a good book. I even considered mountain climbing...until I remembered that I hate being cold and I don't care for heights.

I hate self help books. Hate them. That said, there's a book called Now, Discover Your Strengths by Marcus Buckingham and Donald Clifton. My last manager bought it for all of us on her team and told us to read it and do the strengths test online. We were then going to go offsite for a day and talk about it. I was so reluctant, but I read about 1/3 of the book and did the test. Then I put it away and didn't look at it for at least a couple months. In the middle of it, my department went through a re-org and I got a new manager so we never did the offsite.

Anyway, I was bored one day and picked up the book and my test results. I finished the book in just an hour or two. It was amazing! Anyone who is at a crossroads about their life (career, school, etc) would probably benefit from it. It showed me that my new-ish job was the perfect fit for me and made me realize why I was unhappy at my old job. It also gave me inspiration for talking to my new manager about where my current position is headed. (we're still re-orging and it's kind of up in the air whether we'll keep doing the same work.)
Quote:
When are women going to face the fact that they donít know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
Bonsai Culturist