Do People of Color Really Have Different Hair ?

Like Tree6Likes

no you guys are wrong, we mixed people all have the same hair type. NO ONE unless they too are mixed can understand a mixed persons hair. We mixeds have had enough. We would like our OWN hair care section in the walmarts and kmarts, ONLY for mixed people, because we all have the same hair. YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND OUR HAIR NEVER WE ARE SO UNIQUE WE ARE SO UNIQUE AND DIFFICULT FOR BOTH BLACK AND WHITE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND!!


Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.



Originally Posted by turtles
Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.


Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy

Can you not read the sarcasm in my post?
Speaking of kinky vs. curly. A customer on my job (Caucasian) came up to me while working and says, "I love your curly hair." and this older black woman that works with me say's, "What do you mean curly? Her hair isn't curly. Do you mean kinky-curly?" I was so floored that I didn't know what to say immediately. I just stood there with my mouth open looking confused along with customer who complimented me as she grabs my hand while she says," I just want you to know that your hair is beautiful."
I waited til later to go tell her (the old skool hater that is) that it has been hard enough for black women to be complimented on their natural beauty. The next time she hears a black woman receiving a compliment, just smile and nod.
I later hear telling another co-worker that she should not have cut her hair because it doesn't curl up like that other girls does.
I swear if I saw her in the street I would hesitate on hitting my brakes.
Originally Posted by arkanfine

I feel ya..she was just being an ignorant hater, but me personally...I wouldn't have been so nice to her the first time.
http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/



CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!
no you guys are wrong, we mixed people all have the same hair type. NO ONE unless they too are mixed can understand a mixed persons hair. We mixeds have had enough. We would like our OWN hair care section in the walmarts and kmarts, ONLY for mixed people, because we all have the same hair. YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND OUR HAIR NEVER WE ARE SO UNIQUE WE ARE SO UNIQUE AND DIFFICULT FOR BOTH BLACK AND WHITE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND!!


Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.



Originally Posted by turtles
Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.


Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy

Can you not read the sarcasm in my post?
Originally Posted by turtles

I didn't at first...didn't even see the emoticon at the bottom.

I just kinda "took off" after skimming through it.
http://members.fotki.com/Versacecrazy/



CURL JUNKIE ZOMBIE !!!

Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.


Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy

Can you not read the sarcasm in my post?
Originally Posted by turtles

I didn't at first...didn't even see the emoticon at the bottom.

I just kinda "took off" after skimming through it.
Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy

LOL.
LMAO at both of you. Too funny. Awwww...early morning posts!
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.


Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy

Can you not read the sarcasm in my post?
Originally Posted by turtles

I didn't at first...didn't even see the emoticon at the bottom.

I just kinda "took off" after skimming through it.
Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy
LMAO!!
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun
I assumed my hair was plain ole curly, but when I submitted pics to a hair care company for typing was told it was wavy with curls on the bottom. Talk about confused. I figure if it bends, it's curly and I call it a day.

Originally Posted by ChAoTiCbLiSs
This is off topic but your hair awesome! I wanted to achieve the same hair color but I figured it would be dry all the time, your hair looks very moisturized though. Did you go to the salon to go so light?
BC: 9/2009

green BELT
no you guys are wrong, we mixed people all have the same hair type. NO ONE unless they too are mixed can understand a mixed persons hair. We mixeds have had enough. We would like our OWN hair care section in the walmarts and kmarts, ONLY for mixed people, because we all have the same hair. YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND OUR HAIR NEVER WE ARE SO UNIQUE WE ARE SO UNIQUE AND DIFFICULT FOR BOTH BLACK AND WHITE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND!!



Originally Posted by turtles

Now how did I know little Miss Turtles would come in here with something like that.. ROFL!

I gotta laugh...cause that is just how extreme it can get with certain mixed people. Clearly, not all of us though. But I've seen some mixed people act like their curly hair is some special type of hair that people that aren't mixed just can't understand. And I'm like.. "Dude(or Dudette) it's just hair..you ain't special"... ROFL!
Originally Posted by Marah Mizrahi
THANKYOU VERY MUCH! lol i second what you both said...it's just hair...all the same lol. It's so annoying.
Medium/thick/thin strands
medium fine front thick back
deep condish lutrasilk herbal
moisturize with softn nfree milk protein and olive oil[
3c/4a half and half ♥
Love my curls, kinks, coils, napps, corkscrews.
styler is ORS smooth n hold pudding♥
Transitioning ended--> forced into relaxer
If all goes well, will transition in 2012
I assumed my hair was plain ole curly, but when I submitted pics to a hair care company for typing was told it was wavy with curls on the bottom. Talk about confused. I figure if it bends, it's curly and I call it a day.

Originally Posted by ChAoTiCbLiSs
This is off topic but your hair awesome! I wanted to achieve the same hair color but I figured it would be dry all the time, your hair looks very moisturized though. Did you go to the salon to go so light?
Originally Posted by gforceroy
lol I was just thinking the same thing! bliss your hair is gorgeous. I just know that the last time I tried to dye my hair it wouldn't take so i ended up bleaching it with hydrogen peroxide and then it was a nightmare. My hair became a dry frizz orange mess thankfully that mistake has grown out but I was wondering how you went about getting your amazing color and still retaining healthy looking locks?
~MBL curly w/ mostly 4a with a patches of 4b in the front and lil 3c sprinkled in the back~

-I like my men like I love my hair... kinky

Co-Wash: VO5 Anti-Breakage Conditioner and VO5 Strengthening Conditoner
Rinse-Out: Tresseme Naturals Nourishing Moisture
Leave-in: Suave Naturals Conditioner
Moisturizer: Shea Moisture Curl Enhancing Cream
Styler: Eco Styler Olive Oil Gel
Sealing Oil: Africa's Best Ultimate Herbal Oil
DC: Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque
I assumed my hair was plain ole curly, but when I submitted pics to a hair care company for typing was told it was wavy with curls on the bottom. Talk about confused. I figure if it bends, it's curly and I call it a day.

Originally Posted by ChAoTiCbLiSs
This is off topic but your hair awesome! I wanted to achieve the same hair color but I figured it would be dry all the time, your hair looks very moisturized though. Did you go to the salon to go so light?
Originally Posted by gforceroy
lol I was just thinking the same thing! bliss your hair is gorgeous. I just know that the last time I tried to dye my hair it wouldn't take so i ended up bleaching it with hydrogen peroxide and then it was a nightmare. My hair became a dry frizz orange mess thankfully that mistake has grown out but I was wondering how you went about getting your amazing color and still retaining healthy looking locks?
Originally Posted by LaBeauteBoucle

My hair doesnt have the strength for bleaching (to any degree) either. I remember when I had highlights in the early '90s, it all eventually broke off in about a year.
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun
I assumed my hair was plain ole curly, but when I submitted pics to a hair care company for typing was told it was wavy with curls on the bottom. Talk about confused. I figure if it bends, it's curly and I call it a day.

Originally Posted by ChAoTiCbLiSs
This is off topic but your hair awesome! I wanted to achieve the same hair color but I figured it would be dry all the time, your hair looks very moisturized though. Did you go to the salon to go so light?
Originally Posted by gforceroy
lol I was just thinking the same thing! bliss your hair is gorgeous. I just know that the last time I tried to dye my hair it wouldn't take so i ended up bleaching it with hydrogen peroxide and then it was a nightmare. My hair became a dry frizz orange mess thankfully that mistake has grown out but I was wondering how you went about getting your amazing color and still retaining healthy looking locks?
Originally Posted by LaBeauteBoucle

My hair doesnt have the strength for bleaching (to any degree) either. I remember when I had highlights in the early '90s, it all eventually broke off in about a year.
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun
no you guys are wrong, we mixed people all have the same hair type. NO ONE unless they too are mixed can understand a mixed persons hair. We mixeds have had enough. We would like our OWN hair care section in the walmarts and kmarts, ONLY for mixed people, because we all have the same hair. YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND OUR HAIR NEVER WE ARE SO UNIQUE WE ARE SO UNIQUE AND DIFFICULT FOR BOTH BLACK AND WHITE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND!!


Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.



Originally Posted by turtles
Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.

Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy
You found somebody 100% black? You must be one hell of a researcher or some sh*t.
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
Originally Posted by subbrock
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


no you guys are wrong, we mixed people all have the same hair type. NO ONE unless they too are mixed can understand a mixed persons hair. We mixeds have had enough. We would like our OWN hair care section in the walmarts and kmarts, ONLY for mixed people, because we all have the same hair. YOU WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND OUR HAIR NEVER WE ARE SO UNIQUE WE ARE SO UNIQUE AND DIFFICULT FOR BOTH BLACK AND WHITE PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND!!


Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.



Originally Posted by turtles
Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.

Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy
You found somebody 100% black? You must be one hell of a researcher or some sh*t.
Originally Posted by Cali Chik
CALI, you know what she meant...lol. I like to tell people I'm "all Black" heehee...just to annoy them.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Somebody done told you wrong sweetheart!

I'M mixed and am SURE that my hair is NOT the same as yours. It DOES NOT matter what race, what you're mixed with...everyone's hair is mostly different.

I've seen women who are 100% black who's hair is not as kinky as mine but more of a 2c-3a.

Originally Posted by VersaceCrazy
You found somebody 100% black? You must be one hell of a researcher or some sh*t.
Originally Posted by Cali Chik
CALI, you know what she meant...lol. I like to tell people I'm "all Black" heehee...just to annoy them.
Originally Posted by ellepixie
LMAO but it was so easy to be an @sshole with that statement
- don't let everybody elses long straight weave bum you out. don't let other people's big/long natural hair bum you out either. embrace what you have and rock it with confidence, because that's the only way you'll be happy. and whether you realize it or not you are somebody's influence. show them what it truly means to be confident.
Originally Posted by subbrock
www.lifestarbeauty.com
Hate me? Love me? then Follow me! www.twitter.com/vidastarr


So I wanted to ask here what people of color think about that..that actually have 4a-4c hair type. I'm asking in this section because it's obvious in the hair sections this is where most of the people in the 3c-4c range congregate the most.

Here's my take: It's Bull. First of all I don't see how on earth 4 category hair isn't curly. It sometimes coils, some have round curls, some have spirals, some have what look like loops. But all of that is still technically a curl..it may not be a defined curl in every case..but a curl no less. The only reason I call it "kinky" because the curls aren't as defined and not because I don't believe it's actually curly hair.

And there IS NO SUCH THING as "mixed race" or "biracial" hair. Hair is just hair mainly made up of the same stuff..keratin. The care of the hair has to do with knowing porosity, texture, and overall density..because hair typing really says nothing about how to care for the hair. It just gives a description on how the hair looks. And it doesn't matter if the curly hair falls into the "curly" description or "kinky" description.
Originally Posted by Marah Mizrahi
I disagree that there isn't a difference with bi-racial hair types. Even though some bi-racials will appear to have the same 4a afroish type coily hair, but on closer inspection, especially when styling aids are added, you'll see the texture is more "silkier".

At least this is what I believe.

I call my hair coily and curly, because it is to ME.

I honestly never dwelled that hard on it before. I do know that styling products created for biracial hair texture does NOT work for MY afro cottony non-mixed 4a hair. Styling products for "regular" non mixed curlies seem to work quite well for me.
Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
PW: flower
I assumed my hair was plain ole curly, but when I submitted pics to a hair care company for typing was told it was wavy with curls on the bottom. Talk about confused. I figure if it bends, it's curly and I call it a day.

Originally Posted by ChAoTiCbLiSs
This is off topic but your hair awesome! I wanted to achieve the same hair color but I figured it would be dry all the time, your hair looks very moisturized though. Did you go to the salon to go so light?
Originally Posted by gforceroy
Thank you!!
Yup, I've had this same color for about 5 years and it is very strong, healthy and moisturized. That's because I have it professionally done and am completely anal about my hair care routine!
3b/2b/3c mix
~no heat, sulfates, silicones, mineral oil or petrolatum~
CURLS, My Honey Child , KCKT, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic, & Elasta QP Feels Like Silk
I assumed my hair was plain ole curly, but when I submitted pics to a hair care company for typing was told it was wavy with curls on the bottom. Talk about confused. I figure if it bends, it's curly and I call it a day.

Originally Posted by ChAoTiCbLiSs
This is off topic but your hair awesome! I wanted to achieve the same hair color but I figured it would be dry all the time, your hair looks very moisturized though. Did you go to the salon to go so light?
Originally Posted by gforceroy
lol I was just thinking the same thing! bliss your hair is gorgeous. I just know that the last time I tried to dye my hair it wouldn't take so i ended up bleaching it with hydrogen peroxide and then it was a nightmare. My hair became a dry frizz orange mess thankfully that mistake has grown out but I was wondering how you went about getting your amazing color and still retaining healthy looking locks?
Originally Posted by LaBeauteBoucle

Thanks!!

Basically I had to eliminate any and everything that would or could dry or block moisture from my hair...heat, sulfates, SILICONES (that thar is a biggie!), mineral oil and petrolatum. I moisturize and seal morning (very lightly) and night, cover my hair without fail er' night , use non-protein DCs and conditioners as leave ins, and overnight DC with my own mix.

My beloved stylist gave me that tip years ago and basically taught me my #1 hair secret....treat your hair like it is on it's last leg, use products for severly damaged hair...and it wil be strong as steel.

She wasn't lying.
3b/2b/3c mix
~no heat, sulfates, silicones, mineral oil or petrolatum~
CURLS, My Honey Child , KCKT, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic, & Elasta QP Feels Like Silk

Last edited by ChAoTiCbLiSs; 07-29-2010 at 09:46 PM.
I'm sorry ladies, I forgot to add in my response to you both, if you'd like details of my regimen, I listed it on http://afroniquelyyou.com. I had an 2 interviews this week and went into more detail..or PM me with your e-mail address and I'll details if you'd like!
3b/2b/3c mix
~no heat, sulfates, silicones, mineral oil or petrolatum~
CURLS, My Honey Child , KCKT, Uncle Funky's Daughter Curly Magic, & Elasta QP Feels Like Silk
So I wanted to ask here what people of color think about that..that actually have 4a-4c hair type. I'm asking in this section because it's obvious in the hair sections this is where most of the people in the 3c-4c range congregate the most.

Here's my take: It's Bull. First of all I don't see how on earth 4 category hair isn't curly. It sometimes coils, some have round curls, some have spirals, some have what look like loops. But all of that is still technically a curl..it may not be a defined curl in every case..but a curl no less. The only reason I call it "kinky" because the curls aren't as defined and not because I don't believe it's actually curly hair.

And there IS NO SUCH THING as "mixed race" or "biracial" hair. Hair is just hair mainly made up of the same stuff..keratin. The care of the hair has to do with knowing porosity, texture, and overall density..because hair typing really says nothing about how to care for the hair. It just gives a description on how the hair looks. And it doesn't matter if the curly hair falls into the "curly" description or "kinky" description.
Originally Posted by Marah Mizrahi
I disagree that there isn't a difference with bi-racial hair types. Even though some bi-racials will appear to have the same 4a afroish type coily hair, but on closer inspection, especially when styling aids are added, you'll see the texture is more "silkier".

At least this is what I believe.

I call my hair coily and curly, because it is to ME.

I honestly never dwelled that hard on it before. I do know that styling products created for biracial hair texture does NOT work for MY afro cottony non-mixed 4a hair. Styling products for "regular" non mixed curlies seem to work quite well for me.
Originally Posted by jada1111
I don't believe that. My sister has some silky 4a (maybe 3c) and she isn't bi-racial. And bi-racial kids can have cottony hair. I've seen some bi-racial kids with cottony hair. You really can't make that assumption about bi-racial people's hair. I've even got some silky hair in my head too.

4a/OS/FN/Spongy
Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
I think my hair likes cones...

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com