Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 4

Like Tree6Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #61
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelolivia2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jada1111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mizrahi View Post
So I wanted to ask here what people of color think about that..that actually have 4a-4c hair type. I'm asking in this section because it's obvious in the hair sections this is where most of the people in the 3c-4c range congregate the most.

Here's my take: It's Bull. First of all I don't see how on earth 4 category hair isn't curly. It sometimes coils, some have round curls, some have spirals, some have what look like loops. But all of that is still technically a curl..it may not be a defined curl in every case..but a curl no less. The only reason I call it "kinky" because the curls aren't as defined and not because I don't believe it's actually curly hair.

And there IS NO SUCH THING as "mixed race" or "biracial" hair. Hair is just hair mainly made up of the same stuff..keratin. The care of the hair has to do with knowing porosity, texture, and overall density..because hair typing really says nothing about how to care for the hair. It just gives a description on how the hair looks. And it doesn't matter if the curly hair falls into the "curly" description or "kinky" description.
I disagree that there isn't a difference with bi-racial hair types. Even though some bi-racials will appear to have the same 4a afroish type coily hair, but on closer inspection, especially when styling aids are added, you'll see the texture is more "silkier".

At least this is what I believe.

I call my hair coily and curly, because it is to ME.

I honestly never dwelled that hard on it before. I do know that styling products created for biracial hair texture does NOT work for MY afro cottony non-mixed 4a hair. Styling products for "regular" non mixed curlies seem to work quite well for me.
I don't believe that. My sister has some silky 4a (maybe 3c) and she isn't bi-racial. And bi-racial kids can have cottony hair. I've seen some bi-racial kids with cottony hair. You really can't make that assumption about bi-racial people's hair. I've even got some silky hair in my head too.
Exactly this.
AmberBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:11 PM   #62
 
hippychic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,670
Default

bi-racial hair?????
__________________
LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
hippychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 02:41 PM   #63
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,321
Default

Wow. And yikes.
__________________
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #64
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Posts: 2,716
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelolivia2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jada1111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mizrahi View Post
So I wanted to ask here what people of color think about that..that actually have 4a-4c hair type. I'm asking in this section because it's obvious in the hair sections this is where most of the people in the 3c-4c range congregate the most.

Here's my take: It's Bull. First of all I don't see how on earth 4 category hair isn't curly. It sometimes coils, some have round curls, some have spirals, some have what look like loops. But all of that is still technically a curl..it may not be a defined curl in every case..but a curl no less. The only reason I call it "kinky" because the curls aren't as defined and not because I don't believe it's actually curly hair.

And there IS NO SUCH THING as "mixed race" or "biracial" hair. Hair is just hair mainly made up of the same stuff..keratin. The care of the hair has to do with knowing porosity, texture, and overall density..because hair typing really says nothing about how to care for the hair. It just gives a description on how the hair looks. And it doesn't matter if the curly hair falls into the "curly" description or "kinky" description.
I disagree that there isn't a difference with bi-racial hair types. Even though some bi-racials will appear to have the same 4a afroish type coily hair, but on closer inspection, especially when styling aids are added, you'll see the texture is more "silkier".

At least this is what I believe.

I call my hair coily and curly, because it is to ME.

I honestly never dwelled that hard on it before. I do know that styling products created for biracial hair texture does NOT work for MY afro cottony non-mixed 4a hair. Styling products for "regular" non mixed curlies seem to work quite well for me.
I don't believe that. My sister has some silky 4a (maybe 3c) and she isn't bi-racial. And bi-racial kids can have cottony hair. I've seen some bi-racial kids with cottony hair. You really can't make that assumption about bi-racial people's hair. I've even got some silky hair in my head too.
Of course non mixed blacks can have silkier textures too, but I was answering the OP's post that said there was no difference between the textures.

"I" disagree with that particular statement due to my own observations by viewing folks fotkis, seeing the biracial kids out here in LA, etc.. The hair might look the same at first glance until you see how it reacts to the same styling products you use.

No has to agree with me. It's just MY personal opinion.
__________________
Jada1111

HAIR TYPE: 4a all over/3c around nape/edges; Last relaxer -4/4/02; Big chop - 4/16/03

http://public.fotki.com/jada1111/
PW: flower
jada1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:40 PM   #65
 
greenandchic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,582
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelolivia2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jada1111 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marah Mizrahi View Post
So I wanted to ask here what people of color think about that..that actually have 4a-4c hair type. I'm asking in this section because it's obvious in the hair sections this is where most of the people in the 3c-4c range congregate the most.

Here's my take: It's Bull. First of all I don't see how on earth 4 category hair isn't curly. It sometimes coils, some have round curls, some have spirals, some have what look like loops. But all of that is still technically a curl..it may not be a defined curl in every case..but a curl no less. The only reason I call it "kinky" because the curls aren't as defined and not because I don't believe it's actually curly hair.

And there IS NO SUCH THING as "mixed race" or "biracial" hair. Hair is just hair mainly made up of the same stuff..keratin. The care of the hair has to do with knowing porosity, texture, and overall density..because hair typing really says nothing about how to care for the hair. It just gives a description on how the hair looks. And it doesn't matter if the curly hair falls into the "curly" description or "kinky" description.
I disagree that there isn't a difference with bi-racial hair types. Even though some bi-racials will appear to have the same 4a afroish type coily hair, but on closer inspection, especially when styling aids are added, you'll see the texture is more "silkier".

At least this is what I believe.

I call my hair coily and curly, because it is to ME.

I honestly never dwelled that hard on it before. I do know that styling products created for biracial hair texture does NOT work for MY afro cottony non-mixed 4a hair. Styling products for "regular" non mixed curlies seem to work quite well for me.
I don't believe that. My sister has some silky 4a (maybe 3c) and she isn't bi-racial. And bi-racial kids can have cottony hair. I've seen some bi-racial kids with cottony hair. You really can't make that assumption about bi-racial people's hair. I've even got some silky hair in my head too.
I agree. There are parts of my hair that are definitely more "silky" than others and I don't have a bi racial bone in my body. LOL!
__________________
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun
greenandchic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 03:44 PM   #66
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,321
Default

I think the point is that being biracial does not guarantee you will have a specific texture. Therefore, there is no such thing as "biracial" hair.
__________________
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 04:32 PM   #67
 
beetle87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 136
Default

Some parts of my hair can look silky w/ product. I'm not mixed.
__________________
beetle87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:29 PM   #68
 
rachelolivia2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepixie View Post
I think the point is that being biracial does not guarantee you will have a specific texture. Therefore, there is no such thing as "biracial" hair.
For the sake of this thread I used the term "bi-racial hair". But yes, there is no such thing.
__________________

4a/OS/FN/Spongy
Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
I think my hair likes cones...
rachelolivia2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #69
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelolivia2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepixie View Post
I think the point is that being biracial does not guarantee you will have a specific texture. Therefore, there is no such thing as "biracial" hair.
For the sake of this thread I used the term "bi-racial hair". But yes, there is no such thing.
Oh I know! I wasn't talking about you.
__________________
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 05:31 PM   #70
 
rachelolivia2010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 371
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepixie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachelolivia2010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepixie View Post
I think the point is that being biracial does not guarantee you will have a specific texture. Therefore, there is no such thing as "biracial" hair.
For the sake of this thread I used the term "bi-racial hair". But yes, there is no such thing.
Oh I know! I wasn't talking about you.
Lol! Okay.
__________________

4a/OS/FN/Spongy
Co-Wash: Vo5 Herbal Escapes Moisturizing Conditioner Free Me Freesia With Aloe Extract & Aussie Moist
Leave In Conditioner: KCKT & seal with shea butter.
Gel/Styler: KCCC or EcoStyler for edges.
I think my hair likes cones...
rachelolivia2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:23 PM   #71
 
MixedUpCurlyChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Curly~ View Post
Anyway as someone else said, They dont want to be seen as self-hating so they say their hair is coily.. I wont lie there are folks in this thread who have said they have curly hair AND I am Looking AND I'm Like W in T F, if you dont sit you a%s down....

I mean, it doenst freaking matter.. call your hair what you want... but curly has pretty much been defined and classified by society and dont get mad when folks give you the side eye...
If it "doesn't freaking matter," why would you need to tell anyone to "sit their ass down" b/c they label their hair differently than you would label it? Aren't you just reinforcing the stereotype that we "can't have" curly hair?
__________________
MixedUpCurlyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:26 PM   #72
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedUpCurlyChick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Curly~ View Post
Anyway as someone else said, They dont want to be seen as self-hating so they say their hair is coily.. I wont lie there are folks in this thread who have said they have curly hair AND I am Looking AND I'm Like W in T F, if you dont sit you a%s down....

I mean, it doenst freaking matter.. call your hair what you want... but curly has pretty much been defined and classified by society and dont get mad when folks give you the side eye...
If it "doesn't freaking matter," why would you need to tell anyone to "sit their ass down" b/c they label their hair differently than you would label it? Aren't you just reinforcing the stereotype that we "can't have" curly hair?
LOOOOOL. I think everyone else basically ignored that comment b/c it was totally uncalled for.
__________________
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:39 PM   #73
 
MixedUpCurlyChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepixie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedUpCurlyChick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Curly~ View Post
Anyway as someone else said, They dont want to be seen as self-hating so they say their hair is coily.. I wont lie there are folks in this thread who have said they have curly hair AND I am Looking AND I'm Like W in T F, if you dont sit you a%s down....

I mean, it doenst freaking matter.. call your hair what you want... but curly has pretty much been defined and classified by society and dont get mad when folks give you the side eye...
If it "doesn't freaking matter," why would you need to tell anyone to "sit their ass down" b/c they label their hair differently than you would label it? Aren't you just reinforcing the stereotype that we "can't have" curly hair?
LOOOOOL. I think everyone else basically ignored that comment b/c it was totally uncalled for.
Like most of her comments I guess I just felt froggy since I've been away lol. Oh well...carry on...for those who haven't seen it, you might also enjoy this thread: Why do most black people have Nappy/Kinky/Coily Hair?
__________________
MixedUpCurlyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 04:20 PM   #74
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedUpCurlyChick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Curly~ View Post
Anyway as someone else said, They dont want to be seen as self-hating so they say their hair is coily.. I wont lie there are folks in this thread who have said they have curly hair AND I am Looking AND I'm Like W in T F, if you dont sit you a%s down....

I mean, it doenst freaking matter.. call your hair what you want... but curly has pretty much been defined and classified by society and dont get mad when folks give you the side eye...
If it "doesn't freaking matter," why would you need to tell anyone to "sit their ass down" b/c they label their hair differently than you would label it? Aren't you just reinforcing the stereotype that we "can't have" curly hair?
There is no stereotype.. and I feel the need to tell them to sit their asses down cause their hair has little to no curl pattern... and when i say curl i mean curls that are visible without a closeup investigation, a lamp and a thousand products...

The "we" didnt need to be included, no i'm not enforcing the imaginary stereotype that "we" aka black folks can't have curly hair, As i clearly showed with a pic.. Sure lots of folks have "curly hair" but it's not what the media portrays or what people think of when they think of curly hair.. when people think of curly hair they generally think of unfrizzy, defined, very visable to the naked eye curls usually pencil size or bigger...

LOL at most of my post being uncalled for.. I'm not here to sugar coat or baby anyone nor am i here to be mean or upset anyone, I just posted my comments unbiasedly.. i feel sorry for the ones who feel they have to sensor themselves in order to be in the good graces of folks on this board... point is the very same folks who are calling me mean, know damn well they see folks calling their hair curly and saying they have different hair than they do and are thinking they need to sit there asz down... The point is even if we think that we dont tell them. As i said you can call your hair wtf you want, doesnt mean i see it as "typically" curly.. i'm not saying it isnt curly i'm just saying it aint the curly i've come to know lol...

Last edited by ~Curly~; 07-31-2010 at 04:22 PM.
~Curly~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 05:54 PM   #75
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,066
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Curly~ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedUpCurlyChick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Curly~ View Post
Anyway as someone else said, They dont want to be seen as self-hating so they say their hair is coily.. I wont lie there are folks in this thread who have said they have curly hair AND I am Looking AND I'm Like W in T F, if you dont sit you a%s down....

I mean, it doenst freaking matter.. call your hair what you want... but curly has pretty much been defined and classified by society and dont get mad when folks give you the side eye...
If it "doesn't freaking matter," why would you need to tell anyone to "sit their ass down" b/c they label their hair differently than you would label it? Aren't you just reinforcing the stereotype that we "can't have" curly hair?
There is no stereotype.. and I feel the need to tell them to sit their asses down cause their hair has little to no curl pattern... and when i say curl i mean curls that are visible without a closeup investigation, a lamp and a thousand products...

The "we" didnt need to be included, no i'm not enforcing the imaginary stereotype that "we" aka black folks can't have curly hair, As i clearly showed with a pic.. Sure lots of folks have "curly hair" but it's not what the media portrays or what people think of when they think of curly hair.. when people think of curly hair they generally think of unfrizzy, defined, very visable to the naked eye curls usually pencil size or bigger...

LOL at most of my post being uncalled for.. I'm not here to sugar coat or baby anyone nor am i here to be mean or upset anyone, I just posted my comments unbiasedly.. i feel sorry for the ones who feel they have to sensor themselves in order to be in the good graces of folks on this board... point is the very same folks who are calling me mean, know damn well they see folks calling their hair curly and saying they have different hair than they do and are thinking they need to sit there asz down... The point is even if we think that we dont tell them. As i said you can call your hair wtf you want, doesnt mean i see it as "typically" curly.. i'm not saying it isnt curly i'm just saying it aint the curly i've come to know lol...
What do you think you're proving by telling anyone to "sit their asses down"? I feel as though I might agree with you on a fundamental level, but you seem legitimately offended by what women call their hair I wish everyone would love their hair as it grows out of their scalps and IMO women without "visible" curl patterns often have the lovliest hair out there. But them calling their strands curly doesn't make your hair any less curly. Chill.
AmberBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 06:04 PM   #76
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,321
Default

I was going to say the same thing...I don't mind your opinion on the topic, but that specific statement brought absolutely ZERO value to the discussion, hence, why I called it uncalled for. I don't even think it was mean, just pointless is all. I don't give a crap what women call their hair, especially since hair type and the semantics are totally subjective. I mean, to each their own. Shrug.
__________________
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 08:06 PM   #77
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 773
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberBrown View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Curly~ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by MixedUpCurlyChick View Post

If it "doesn't freaking matter," why would you need to tell anyone to "sit their ass down" b/c they label their hair differently than you would label it? Aren't you just reinforcing the stereotype that we "can't have" curly hair?
There is no stereotype.. and I feel the need to tell them to sit their asses down cause their hair has little to no curl pattern... and when i say curl i mean curls that are visible without a closeup investigation, a lamp and a thousand products...

The "we" didnt need to be included, no i'm not enforcing the imaginary stereotype that "we" aka black folks can't have curly hair, As i clearly showed with a pic.. Sure lots of folks have "curly hair" but it's not what the media portrays or what people think of when they think of curly hair.. when people think of curly hair they generally think of unfrizzy, defined, very visable to the naked eye curls usually pencil size or bigger...

LOL at most of my post being uncalled for.. I'm not here to sugar coat or baby anyone nor am i here to be mean or upset anyone, I just posted my comments unbiasedly.. i feel sorry for the ones who feel they have to sensor themselves in order to be in the good graces of folks on this board... point is the very same folks who are calling me mean, know damn well they see folks calling their hair curly and saying they have different hair than they do and are thinking they need to sit there asz down... The point is even if we think that we dont tell them. As i said you can call your hair wtf you want, doesnt mean i see it as "typically" curly.. i'm not saying it isnt curly i'm just saying it aint the curly i've come to know lol...
What do you think you're proving by telling anyone to "sit their asses down"? I feel as though I might agree with you on a fundamental level, but you seem legitimately offended by what women call their hair I wish everyone would love their hair as it grows out of their scalps and IMO women without "visible" curl patterns often have the lovliest hair out there. But them calling their strands curly doesn't make your hair any less curly. Chill.
You've misread my comments/demeanor..

That's the point, I wouldn't tell anyone to sit their asses down, it's not that serious and most people wouldn't, that's why there is no stereotype/preconception that black folks cant have curly hair... Simply that I and many black folks recongnize that they don't have what would traditionally be called curly hair... It was a very tongue in cheek comment...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellepixie View Post
I was going to say the same thing...I don't mind your opinion on the topic, but that specific statement brought absolutely ZERO value to the discussion, hence, why I called it uncalled for. I don't even think it was mean, just pointless is all. I don't give a crap what women call their hair, especially since hair type and the semantics are totally subjective. I mean, to each their own. Shrug.
Exactly.. I dont think it was pointless... maybe came off a little snarky, I can see how some people took it that way.. but wasn't like it was out of left field, i just happen to be talking about someone in this thread mentioning their hair was coily not curly then i guess i felt the need to expound on other things in this thread lol.. i realize that it might have came off pointless and just plain rude.. but it wasnt meant that way i was talking about people in this thread and just continued without a second thought lol.."maybe" if i had mentioned youtubers like other posters it wouldn't have been perceived as pointless ...
~Curly~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 01:22 AM   #78
 
MixedUpCurlyChick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,550
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Curly~ View Post

LOL at most of my post being uncalled for.. I'm not here to sugar coat or baby anyone nor am i here to be mean or upset anyone, I just posted my comments unbiasedly.. i feel sorry for the ones who feel they have to sensor themselves in order to be in the good graces of folks on this board... point is the very same folks who are calling me mean, know damn well they see folks calling their hair curly and saying they have different hair than they do and are thinking they need to sit there asz down...
You can only speak for yourself. You're the one who made the comment. Just b/c people disagree with you and/or have tact, doesn't mean they are sugar coating. You can disagree without putting people down. That's all.
__________________
MixedUpCurlyChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com