CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   4 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/)
-   -   Hair removal methods (epilating?) (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/117805-hair-removal-methods-epilating.html)

curlyarca 12-06-2010 09:29 PM

Hair removal methods (epilating?)
 
If you like hair on your legs and underarms, that's fine, but this thread is about hair removal.

I used to wax religiously (legs, underarms). Now I'm in school, and I can't afford the cost of services and tips. I held on to my old razor and disposable heads after I stopped shaving. I'm glad I did, because tonight in a fit of desperation, I shaved my legs for the first time in years.

I recently had an accident with Nair that I will never repeat. Nair is evil (for me). Never again. So depilatories are out for me. I usually get my brows threaded. Threading is cheap enough that I can afford service+tip. Also, I don't trust myself with removing hair from my face. Tweezing myself creeps me out.

Anyway, I'm thinking about buying an epilator when my cash flow returns and this last razor head dies. Does anyone use an epilator? Which brand? Where is it on the pain scale? Do you get a lot of razor bumps with it?

murrrcat 12-06-2010 10:14 PM

I don't get razor bumps from mine, I get ingrown hairs sometimes, well not like bumps but hair under the skin...that doesn't form into a bump..is that still an ingrown hair? Anywho

I'm too lazy to find mine to tell you the brand, okay I see it from where I'm sitting....


It's by remington and it was like 40 dollars. It gets the job done.

Pain..It hurts my armpits a lot...but tickles after a while...:laughing4: but it tickles my legs, but my leg hairs grow really raggedy like I get one hair here, and then another like 6 inches away, ya know? so I find it pointless for my legs, but that being said I pluck the hairs on my knees alot for fun, so ..I'm not a good candidate for telling you about the pain of having your hair pulled out, since I do it out of enjoyment.

Jamtastic Voyage! 12-06-2010 10:27 PM

If I make it right, I prefer sugaring.

I've never waxed but I heard it hurts less because it only attaches to dead skin.

You can do it whenever, wherever, as many times as you want without irritation. And it rinses clean with warm water.

I prefer making the paste (kind of like a putty, and you snatch the hair up) as opposed to the wax (with muslin strips) because.. well I dunno. Paste is more fun to play with and less messy.

I don't have a candy thermometer so I messed up the last 2 batches.. whoops!

murrrcat 12-06-2010 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamtastic Voyage! (Post 1539360)
If I make it right, I prefer sugaring.

I've never waxed but I heard it hurts less because it only attaches to dead skin.

You can do it whenever, wherever, as many times as you want without irritation. And it rinses clean with warm water.

I prefer making the paste (kind of like a putty, and you snatch the hair up) as opposed to the wax (with muslin strips) because.. well I dunno. Paste is more fun to play with and less messy.

I don't have a candy thermometer so I messed up the last 2 batches.. whoops!


this sounds interesting.

empressri 12-06-2010 11:10 PM

curlyarca, two words: gigi waxer! i wax my arms, legs and the love below myself.

it was nice to pay to get it done...but that price was insane. i've gotten better each time, and i got my waxer at a GREAT deal at sally's. i paid little less than $30 because they had a promo, plus i got free sticks, jar of wax, strips and a how to dvd.

this is the one i have:

GiGi - GiGi Honee Wax Warmer

i prefer this stripless wax cause it grabs the hair better and i can use it everywhere.

GiGi - GiGi Brazilian Bikini Hard Wax

i waxed yesterday :laughing6:

CocoT 12-07-2010 07:09 AM

I'm so hairy that I'm considering getting laser hair removal. I usually shave but I haven't been doing it that often. It irritates my skin. I prefer to not be in pain or extended amounts of time or inflict pain on myself, which is why I don't wax. I don't pluck unless its absolutely necessary (my eyebrows only and they can get out of control) and even then I stop within minutes because my eyes start to water because I can't take the pain. I've been avoiding threading for my eyebrows because it hurts so bad but it's been 3.5 months and I need them done.

From time to time, I'll use depilatory cream to remove some facial hair. I don't like to but I do it. The bad things about the creams are that they can burn if you're not careful and if you don't leave it on for long enough it won't remove enough hair (or any at all).


geez i sound like a beast :sad3:

Nappy_curly_crown 12-07-2010 09:46 AM

I'm in the same boat as Coco T...I want laser!! The only problem is that as a dark skinned woman, I have to go to a dermatologist rather than a medispa to get it done, which like triples the dayum price. So instead of $100-150 per session (every 4-6 weeks) I'm looking at like $300-500 per session. *sigh*

I shave my legs and under arms and I nair my "other" areas and face. I tried plucking but the ingrown hairs on my chin were the WORST and waxing left ingrowns on my chin also. I do wax the other areas from time to time, but I kinda perfer the nair because of the expense. The trick I found to using the nair is that I cover the area that I'm removing the hair from with vaseoline...a thick layer of vaseoline and then apply the nair. I haven't had a problem with buring since I learned that from a friend. I can leave that stuff on for 15-20 minutes and not have it burn and be smooth as a baby's bottom. I usually apply prior to my shower and then let it sit for about 10 min while I do other stuff, hop in and rinse off and shower as normal. After my shower I apply some shea butter or coco butter to the area to sooth it and I'm good for weeks at a time and no ingrown hairs.

I have thought about using an epilator, but I'm afraid that its going to be just as bad a plucking as far as ingrowns so I havn't explored that option just yet.

CocoT 12-07-2010 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown (Post 1539580)
I'm in the same boat as Coco T...I want laser!! The only problem is that as a dark skinned woman, I have to go to a dermatologist rather than a medispa to get it done, which like triples the dayum price. So instead of $100-150 per session (every 4-6 weeks) I'm looking at like $300-500 per session. *sigh*

I shave my legs and under arms and I nair my "other" areas and face. I tried plucking but the ingrown hairs on my chin were the WORST and waxing left ingrowns on my chin also. I do wax the other areas from time to time, but I kinda perfer the nair because of the expense. The trick I found to using the nair is that I cover the area that I'm removing the hair from with vaseoline...a thick layer of vaseoline and then apply the nair. I haven't had a problem with buring since I learned that from a friend. I can leave that stuff on for 15-20 minutes and not have it burn and be smooth as a baby's bottom. I usually apply prior to my shower and then let it sit for about 10 min while I do other stuff, hop in and rinse off and shower as normal. After my shower I apply some shea butter or coco butter to the area to sooth it and I'm good for weeks at a time and no ingrown hairs.

I have thought about using an epilator, but I'm afraid that its going to be just as bad a plucking as far as ingrowns so I havn't explored that option just yet.

:o I'm gonna try this!

curlyarca 12-07-2010 08:09 PM

Yeah, I burned myself. I'm too scared to try your vaseline trick, NCC

My legs feel soooo smooth after shaving last night. I was really pleased. I can't shave my pits. Since I stopped my pits aren't as discolored as they were when I shaved.

Empress, I tried waxing myself in the past with muslin strips and some wax I got from Sally. It was a disaster...after that I decided to leave the waxing to the pros. Maybe I should have tried the wax you use instead.

I need to figure something out. Most of my pit hair was removed with the Nair, but I still have a patch of hair under each arm. Not a good look.

murrrcat 12-07-2010 08:24 PM

is the discoloration from deodorant?

because one time, I switched my deodorant (I switched to man kind now, but thats beside the point) I can't remember what kind it was but it was making my pits discolored, so I stopped using it and they stopped being discolored.

ajna 12-07-2010 09:16 PM

Ok yall are brave I could never wax myself, hell sometimes I want to beat the woman who is waxing me lol.

Then I tried my girlfriends Braun Silk Epil for real it was like slow torture...on the up side it did give a nice shave but man it hurt like a bit@# maybe I am just a baby.

Anyway I shave and my ex actually taught me I was doing it wrong. He gave me some tips and I have to say I no longer get ingrown hairs and I stopped destroying my skin. So here are the the three things I learned number one women's razor suck I use mens, the Mach3 is awesome and thy always have a sale and a coupon (about $9 for 5). Second shave the way the hair grows so for most ladies you should shave your legs going down not up. Third use a thin layer of oil and then a good shaving cream. When you apply a thin layer of oil (I use coconut) it makes the razor slide better thus no bruising the skin and get a good quality shaving cream again men's stuff is superior to women I actually use this stuff from crab tree and evelyn, Nomad I think ($14). It is a really good shave and the best thing is there is no pain.

HTH

empressri 12-07-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by curlyarca (Post 1540041)
Yeah, I burned myself. I'm too scared to try your vaseline trick, NCC

My legs feel soooo smooth after shaving last night. I was really pleased. I can't shave my pits. Since I stopped my pits aren't as discolored as they were when I shaved.

Empress, I tried waxing myself in the past with muslin strips and some wax I got from Sally. It was a disaster...after that I decided to leave the waxing to the pros. Maybe I should have tried the wax you use instead.

I need to figure something out. Most of my pit hair was removed with the Nair, but I still have a patch of hair under each arm. Not a good look.

lmao!!! my tips for waxing:

exfoliate the day before, i use st ives apricot scrub, or even the generic one but im sure another will suffice. this step really, really helps. and i use the pre hon cleanse and the wax off by gig.

take some motrin an hour ahead of time. i took four the other night....but i was also have menstrual cramps but it REALLY helped i swear they helped. i barely flinched while waxing

if you're waxing the love below, sit on a plastic bag so you dont get drippies all over, and use a mirror.

legs and armpits i can wax 1-2-3. wax goes on in direction of growth, and comes off in opposite direction.





Quote:

Originally Posted by ajna (Post 1540093)
Ok yall are brave I could never wax myself, hell sometimes I want to beat the woman who is waxing me lol.

Then I tried my girlfriends Braun Silk Epil for real it was like slow torture...on the up side it did give a nice shave but man it hurt like a bit@# maybe I am just a baby.

Anyway I shave and my ex actually taught me I was doing it wrong. He gave me some tips and I have to say I no longer get ingrown hairs and I stopped destroying my skin. So here are the the three things I learned number one women's razor suck I use mens, the Mach3 is awesome and thy always have a sale and a coupon (about $9 for 5). Second shave the way the hair grows so for most ladies you should shave your legs going down not up. Third use a thin layer of oil and then a good shaving cream. When you apply a thin layer of oil (I use coconut) it makes the razor slide better thus no bruising the skin and get a good quality shaving cream again men's stuff is superior to women I actually use this stuff from crab tree and evelyn, Nomad I think ($14). It is a really good shave and the best thing is there is no pain.

HTH

hahaa ive wanted to kick my waxing lady too. simone', she's the bomb but damn it hurt!

ive tried shaving in the direction the hair grows...but it's never a clean shave for me. hell i refuse to shave anymore. i just wax everything myself plus it lasts for a month or longer.

CocoT 12-08-2010 06:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajna (Post 1540093)
Ok yall are brave I could never wax myself, hell sometimes I want to beat the woman who is waxing me lol.

Then I tried my girlfriends Braun Silk Epil for real it was like slow torture...on the up side it did give a nice shave but man it hurt like a bit@# maybe I am just a baby.

Anyway I shave and my ex actually taught me I was doing it wrong. He gave me some tips and I have to say I no longer get ingrown hairs and I stopped destroying my skin. So here are the the three things I learned number one women's razor suck I use mens, the Mach3 is awesome and thy always have a sale and a coupon (about $9 for 5). Second shave the way the hair grows so for most ladies you should shave your legs going down not up. Third use a thin layer of oil and then a good shaving cream. When you apply a thin layer of oil (I use coconut) it makes the razor slide better thus no bruising the skin and get a good quality shaving cream again men's stuff is superior to women I actually use this stuff from crab tree and evelyn, Nomad I think ($14). It is a really good shave and the best thing is there is no pain.

HTH

I shall try this as well.

murrrcat 12-08-2010 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajna (Post 1540093)
Ok yall are brave I could never wax myself, hell sometimes I want to beat the woman who is waxing me lol.

Then I tried my girlfriends Braun Silk Epil for real it was like slow torture...on the up side it did give a nice shave but man it hurt like a bit@# maybe I am just a baby.

Anyway I shave and my ex actually taught me I was doing it wrong. He gave me some tips and I have to say I no longer get ingrown hairs and I stopped destroying my skin. So here are the the three things I learned number one women's razor suck I use mens, the Mach3 is awesome and thy always have a sale and a coupon (about $9 for 5). Second shave the way the hair grows so for most ladies you should shave your legs going down not up. Third use a thin layer of oil and then a good shaving cream. When you apply a thin layer of oil (I use coconut) it makes the razor slide better thus no bruising the skin and get a good quality shaving cream again men's stuff is superior to women I actually use this stuff from crab tree and evelyn, Nomad I think ($14). It is a really good shave and the best thing is there is no pain.

HTH


Oooh nice tips, yea I heard women razors suck...I think cosmo even said that.

DangerBlakey 12-08-2010 09:16 AM

I have the Braun Silk epil.

Death. Slow death.
I forced myself through one pit and couldn't make it through the other one, it hurt so badly. And the bleeding freaked me out. I'd never bled when waxed. But I always rash up when waxed, and didn't with the epilator.

On my legs, I found it broke more hairs than pulled them, which defeated the purpose. I now just use the electric shaver or Nair. I wish I knew a way to keep my skin from bumping up after waxing.

MrsComboCurlz 12-08-2010 10:02 AM

IDK...
 
TEAM LASER!!! I ab-so-lute-ly HATE shaving my legs. My 3 sisters have this very same problem aswell, thanks to my dad's side of the family...my mother, her sister's and my grandmother are ALL HAIRLESS on the Legs Women...*sigh* wish this passed on to me...

I tried Sally Hanson for facial hairs & I must have super sensitive skin because I left in on for the suitable time and I had a lil burn irritation. I thought maybe it was the brand so by Ref by a friend I switched to Nair for precision face & upper lip kit...and low and behold I had minor dry patchy skin irritation. (Throwin my hands up) Really don't know what to do...but I sure as hell know I won't be waxing for the face but the dwn below is still up in the air. Went to Bliss Spa , my russian lady did me well but I almost did ah karate Hya-Hoo to her face..cringing @ the thought.:tongue6:

curlyarca 12-08-2010 01:02 PM

Yeah definitely going to try some of these tips for shaving and waxing (when I get money). Can't bring myself to touching that Nair again though. I guess that's what relaxer burns feel like, lord have mercy.

HennaRo 12-08-2010 02:08 PM

I'm way to scared to wax. I might brake down and get the wax, also will buy that numbing spray lol.

nana_banana 12-08-2010 02:38 PM

Nair and other similar products don't work for me at all. They don't remove the hair! I don't get it!

I used to be an avid waxer because my mom is. She wanted me to get into waxing too. But I switched to shaving and I like it way more.

Love/Hate Relationship 12-08-2010 06:08 PM

No to the Nair
 
I know you said no to the Nair, and I have to agree 100%, but I absolutely love the Magic Powder.

It is a powder that you mix with warm water and apply and remove like Nair, but it leaves me smooth and without all the shaving bumps, ingrowns, and other issues. I have used all of the varieties, none seems any different to me, but it is the only thing that doesn't leave me with problems.

I let a professional do the eyebrows, but everywhere else is Magic Powder territory!! :blob8:


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com