CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   4 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/)
-   -   4b define curls (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/119234-4b-define-curls.html)

Tenderloveandcoils 01-06-2011 09:24 AM

4b define curls
 
Hello I am new to the natural hair world I bc'd on Dec. 21, 2010:p. My last relaxer was the end of July 2010.. So right now I have about 2 inches of newgrowth. My question is does it take a few months before my curls start to define? I have used many different products>>>> Miss Jessie's curl pudding and quick curl, Carols Daughters hair milk curl booster, and Uncle funkys daughter curl magic. They all produced the same thing a shiny greasy afro:shock:. Someone please tell me what can i do ????

papermOon 01-06-2011 10:55 AM

umm..I'm still a noob even though I've been natural for 7months now, but in my honest opinion? It could take awhile (like a couple of weeks)for your natural hair to get used to curl activating products. Once your hair gets longer and heavier, you could start to see a curl pattern.
If you register at this site you can see in my album how when I first bc'd I had no definition, but two months later it started clumping together when I used Kinky Curly Curling custard. Now that my hair is alil longer, I can just shake it and get the same kind of curl definition + the shrinkage I had when I first bc'd.
But for my hair to hang more and prevent frizz, I must do twists or braidouts.

Goodluck

dearheart15 01-06-2011 04:58 PM

I agree...it takes some time before you actually start to see your curl pattern. You also have to keep in mind that most of the products you mentioned only help to "define" whatever pattern you already have or to clump your curls. Hope this helps.

forbee 01-06-2011 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderloveandcoils (Post 1559020)
Hello I am new to the natural hair world I bc'd on Dec. 21, 2010:p. My last relaxer was the end of July 2010.. So right now I have about 2 inches of newgrowth. My question is does it take a few months before my curls start to define? I have used many different products>>>> Miss Jessie's curl pudding and quick curl, Carols Daughters hair milk curl booster, and Uncle funkys daughter curl magic. They all produced the same thing a shiny greasy afro:shock:. Someone please tell me what can i do ????

It may take awhile, and you might have to use different products. I've heard that Miss Jessie's in particular has a lot of crap in it...no offense.

I also don't want to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I'd feel like I wasn't doing you justice if I didn't tell you that there's a chance that your curls may not define. (Wow that was a lot of negatives in one sentence...I hope it made sense lol.) If your hair is truly a 4b, in fact, they won't no matter how long your hair grows. Of course you can do twistouts, braidouts and whatever else there is to have a curly hairstyle but curls that clump by themselves or with product...forget it.

In a few months, you should probably check again what your hair does when it's wet. It may give you clues as to what your curl pattern is. Good luck! :pr:

earthtones naturals 01-06-2011 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by forbee (Post 1559413)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tenderloveandcoils (Post 1559020)
Hello I am new to the natural hair world I bc'd on Dec. 21, 2010:p. My last relaxer was the end of July 2010.. So right now I have about 2 inches of newgrowth. My question is does it take a few months before my curls start to define? I have used many different products>>>> Miss Jessie's curl pudding and quick curl, Carols Daughters hair milk curl booster, and Uncle funkys daughter curl magic. They all produced the same thing a shiny greasy afro:shock:. Someone please tell me what can i do ????

It may take awhile, and you might have to use different products. I've heard that Miss Jessie's in particular has a lot of crap in it...no offense.

I also don't want to be a Debbie Downer or anything, but I'd feel like I wasn't doing you justice if I didn't tell you that there's a chance that your curls may not define. (Wow that was a lot of negatives in one sentence...I hope it made sense lol.) If your hair is truly a 4b, in fact, they won't no matter how long your hair grows. Of course you can do twistouts, braidouts and whatever else there is to have a curly hairstyle but curls that clump by themselves or with product...forget it.

In a few months, you should probably check again what your hair does when it's wet. It may give you clues as to what your curl pattern is. Good luck! :pr:

Hi There!

I don't necessarily agree that your curls won't define. I have extremely thick cottony 4b hair and I get amazing curl definition with the right product and application technique. Kinky Curly Curling Custard did nothing for me but Miracurl Curling Gelly is amazing for my hair and I recently created my own product which gives me even better moisture and curl definition. It took me a very long time to find the right product to use. So it's all about the right product and how it's applied. Check on Youtube and coilskinkscurls videos. She and I have a very similar curl pattern and cotton head and she gets amazing curl definition from the right products.

Ninjarette 01-06-2011 07:14 PM

OP, your hair may show definition...and it may not. "May" is the important part. All "4b" types aren't the same. Wait and let your grow out, as forbee advised.

I would ask myself what look am I trying to accomplish, if it can be done, and what it's going to take (products and time) to get it done.

belwillcoily 01-16-2011 04:20 PM

Warning: This is somewhat of a rant due to irritation with the hair typing system
 
4b: Has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter "Z"; has a cotton-like feel

-NC.com Type 4 Hair Summary Page-

I'm just venting here. This whole hair typing thing is so exasperating to me and exactly the reason why I gave up on it altogether. There are so many contradictions and inconsistencies with it.
I really wish that Andre Walker hadn't even attempted to define tightly coiled/curled, highly textured, kinky, nappy (whatever you want to call it) hair.

Now, I was told by someone on here (even though I didn't ask) that I was definitely 4b. The person who told me this, I'm sure, visited my Fotki, took a look at my texture and length shots; saw product-free wet hair with no visible curl pattern and knocked me back to my "place" in the curl hierarchy (no flames, please, this is just how I feel about hair typing. IMHO it is the new terminology for "good hair/bad hair").

My hair does not have zig zags or sharp angles in it nor does it feel like cotton. I absolutely see s-curls and coils when it's wet but they are very, very small (coffee stirrer size) and very tightly coiled. My son has no s-curls but more very tight O-shaped coils. No zigging and zagging going on in his hair either. Yet I was classed as 4b and I'm sure my son (with even tighter coils than mine) would be placed in the same category.

Now if I allow my hair to air dry after shampooing and do not add any product to it, it will look like this...
http://www.naturallycurly.com/img/us.../phpsfn8nq.jpg

But if a add a curl defining product to it (like KCCC) while it is soaking wet, I get very tiny ringlets, s-curls and O-shaped coils. It shrivels up once it dries, but the ringlets, s-curls, and O-shaped coils are still there locked and frozen into place and dare I say, "clumped and defined". But umm...how can that be when 4b hair doesn't have anything except Z-shaped patterns according to Mr. Walker? So does that make me 4a?

But then there is the issue that I can only get clumped and defined curls/coils with product applied to soaking wet hair. So since my definition and clumping is "product induced" does that mean I'm 4b? You see how confusing it is?

I've seen people who claim 4a and even 3c (on YouTube mainly) who if they don't put products on their hair and let it air dry it will look similar to the above pic so are they suddenly 4b too because their curls are defined with product and frizzy and undefined without it? And the confusion goes on and on for me...

So then I circle back to a recurring question (for me anyway), what the heck is 4b hair? What does it look like? I don't know, I'm even more confused now than I was when the hair typing system first came on my radar. And I am so sure that many, many others (newbies and veterans alike) are just as confused.

Then there is the divisiveness and a hint of "smugness" (for lack of a better term) from some (not all) Type 4 or Type 3c curlies regarding the whole 4a/4b subtype thing...

Case in point, there was a thread on here awhile back where the OP said that she felt isolated from 4a and up curlies and asked if other so-called 4bers felt the same way. There were a few who replied that had decided they were 4b after all but confessed that they at first initially thought their hair was 4a or even 3c before they decided to claim 4b for their hair. Mainly the confusion over the hair typing system is why they allegedly "incorrectly" categorized their hair type.

Well I was saddened to see some people responded to these 4b confessors and stated that they didn't see how ANYBODY with 4b hair can mistake it for 4a or especially not 3c and several "LOLs" were added for emphasis of what a "ridiculous" notion this was to them. And some other posters agreed and added their own "LOLs" or smilies of a laughing nature to their post. :sad7:

This is why I feel strongly that this is just so divisive no matter how you slice it on top of being confusing for so-called Type 4 hair. Some of those with so-called 4a and up hair seem to feel it's laughable that anyone in the 4b category could think they have anything in common with THEIR hair type. Like I said, to me it's the old "good hair/bad hair" syndrome just with a different name and it hinders rather than helps women who decide to go relaxer-free (IMO).

END OF VENT; going back to my hidey hole... :hiding:

Cerendipity 01-17-2011 08:51 AM

I claim type 4, one because I can make my hair look like a fro by combing it out and two because if I wet it with what and let it do what it does it curls.

No more no less. I wear my hair 95% twisted , braided , or fro'd out , only in the summer is when I may rock a wash and go.

Just keep taking care of your hair and achieve healthy hair ,all the other comes in later. You have to get to know it before you can attempt to style it.

MIA1487 01-17-2011 12:48 PM

.

ms_clawed 01-17-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belwillcoily (Post 1566278)
4b: Has a "Z" pattern, less of a defined curl pattern. Instead of curling or coiling, the hair bends in sharp angles like the letter "Z"; has a cotton-like feel

-NC.com Type 4 Hair Summary Page-

I'm just venting here. This whole hair typing thing is so exasperating to me and exactly the reason why I gave up on it altogether. There are so many contradictions and inconsistencies with it.
I really wish that Andre Walker hadn't even attempted to define tightly coiled/curled, highly textured, kinky, nappy (whatever you want to call it) hair.

Now, I was told by someone on here (even though I didn't ask) that I was definitely 4b. The person who told me this, I'm sure, visited my Fotki, took a look at my texture and length shots; saw product-free wet hair with no visible curl pattern and knocked me back to my "place" in the curl hierarchy (no flames, please, this is just how I feel about hair typing. IMHO it is the new terminology for "good hair/bad hair").

My hair does not have zig zags or sharp angles in it nor does it feel like cotton. I absolutely see s-curls and coils when it's wet but they are very, very small (coffee stirrer size) and very tightly coiled. My son has no s-curls but more very tight O-shaped coils. No zigging and zagging going on in his hair either. Yet I was classed as 4b and I'm sure my son (with even tighter coils than mine) would be placed in the same category.

Now if I allow my hair to air dry after shampooing and do not add any product to it, it will look like this...
http://www.naturallycurly.com/img/us.../phpsfn8nq.jpg

But if a add a curl defining product to it (like KCCC) while it is soaking wet, I get very tiny ringlets, s-curls and O-shaped coils. It shrivels up once it dries, but the ringlets, s-curls, and O-shaped coils are still there locked and frozen into place and dare I say, "clumped and defined". But umm...how can that be when 4b hair doesn't have anything except Z-shaped patterns according to Mr. Walker? So does that make me 4a?

But then there is the issue that I can only get clumped and defined curls/coils with product applied to soaking wet hair. So since my definition and clumping is "product induced" does that mean I'm 4b? You see how confusing it is?

I've seen people who claim 4a and even 3c (on YouTube mainly) who if they don't put products on their hair and let it air dry it will look similar to the above pic so are they suddenly 4b too because their curls are defined with product and frizzy and undefined without it? And the confusion goes on and on for me...

So then I circle back to a recurring question (for me anyway), what the heck is 4b hair? What does it look like? I don't know, I'm even more confused now than I was when the hair typing system first came on my radar. And I am so sure that many, many others (newbies and veterans alike) are just as confused.

Then there is the divisiveness and a hint of "smugness" (for lack of a better term) from some (not all) Type 4 or Type 3c curlies regarding the whole 4a/4b subtype thing...

Case in point, there was a thread on here awhile back where the OP said that she felt isolated from 4a and up curlies and asked if other so-called 4bers felt the same way. There were a few who replied that had decided they were 4b after all but confessed that they at first initially thought their hair was 4a or even 3c before they decided to claim 4b for their hair. Mainly the confusion over the hair typing system is why they allegedly "incorrectly" categorized their hair type.

Well I was saddened to see some people responded to these 4b confessors and stated that they didn't see how ANYBODY with 4b hair can mistake it for 4a or especially not 3c and several "LOLs" were added for emphasis of what a "ridiculous" notion this was to them. And some other posters agreed and added their own "LOLs" or smilies of a laughing nature to their post. :sad7:

This is why I feel strongly that this is just so divisive no matter how you slice it on top of being confusing for so-called Type 4 hair. Some of those with so-called 4a and up hair seem to feel it's laughable that anyone in the 4b category could think they have anything in common with THEIR hair type. Like I said, to me it's the old "good hair/bad hair" syndrome just with a different name and it hinders rather than helps women who decide to go relaxer-free (IMO).

END OF VENT; going back to my hidey hole... :hiding:

:thumright: Yeah I agree with you!

KinkyQuirky 01-17-2011 04:40 PM

Sorry dp :/

KinkyQuirky 01-17-2011 06:19 PM

I can totally relate!
 
Nooo @bellwillcoily don't go back to the hidey hole! lol I know EXACTLY how you feel.I'm a fairly new natural, but even I knew something was fishy about Andre's classification of 4b hair.I mean, "zig-zag" and "sharp angles"? Nobody's hair that I know grows out zig-zaged:confused5: I have seen split ends that result in sharp angles on hair strands, but anywho...

I too can see very small coils in my hair when wet. However, I don't waste my time trying to "define" them. They are so densely packed and there always seems to be a halo of frizz that hides them. I've just come to accept that I will never be completely free of frizz, and that's alright with me. I'll share some pictures to show you what I'm working with. Sorry about these obnoxious sizes. I couldn't attach them for some reason.

This is my hair airdried. Only shea butter was added as a sealant. No visible curls, just thick and fluffy looking :P

http://i55.tinypic.com/magrpe.jpg

Here it is again, still completely dry, but a bit closer. I know it's really hard to tell (I'm horrible with close ups lol), but can you see little coils on the ends?

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dcfgye.jpg

Even closer. This is just to show you that halo of frizz.

http://i53.tinypic.com/330flnr.jpg


On this pic, I hope you can see VERY tiny coils in the section I pointed to.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2nrodnl.jpg

And this is just a single coil, VERY small.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2d81jer.jpg

So yeah, by Andre's definition I am definitely NOT 4b, pshh zig zags:roll: But then again, my coils are not visible from a distance, which if I'm correct is a characteristic of 4a hair, which should mean I am 4b...Yeah, I'mma stop before I get anymore confused. Hopefully and expert will come in and clear things up lol.

Oh and to the OP, your curls just may not be definable 'cause mine sure aren't! Or at least for now they aren't. Gel just sits on my hair, but that may change as I get out of the TWA stage. But I like my undefined fluffy fro! Unfortunately I can't wear it out now because it's winter :sad5: So, I frequent twist outs as of now.

But on another note, what's up with the 4b section?? It's like slowly dying. We need more action up in here! Just think of how awesome it would be if it was as lively here as in the 4a section!

I hope there are others with hair similar to mine. It'd be cool if I could find some! :happy3:

Preylyu 01-17-2011 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KinkyQuirky (Post 1566956)
Nooo @bellwillcoily don't go back to the hidey hole! lol I know EXACTLY how you feel.I'm a fairly new natural, but even I knew something was fishy about Andre's classification of 4b hair.I mean, "zig-zag" and "sharp angles"? Nobody's hair that I know grows out zig-zaged:confused5: I have seen split ends that result in sharp angles on hair strands, but anywho...

I too can see very small coils in my hair when wet. However, I don't waste my time trying to "define" them. They are so densely packed and there always seems to be a halo of frizz that hides them. I've just come to accept that I will never be completely free of frizz, and that's alright with me. I'll share some pictures to show you what I'm working with. Sorry about these obnoxious sizes. I couldn't attach them for some reason.

This is my hair airdried. Only shea butter was added as a sealant. No visible curls, just thick and fluffy looking :P

http://i55.tinypic.com/magrpe.jpg

Here it is again, still completely dry, but a bit closer. I know it's really hard to tell (I'm horrible with close ups lol), but can you see little coils on the ends?

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dcfgye.jpg

Even closer. This is just to show you that halo of frizz.

http://i53.tinypic.com/330flnr.jpg


On this pic, I hope you can see VERY tiny coils in the section I pointed to.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2nrodnl.jpg

And this is just a single coil, VERY small.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2d81jer.jpg

So yeah, by Andre's definition I am definitely NOT 4b, pshh zig zags:roll: But then again, my coils are not visible from a distance, which if I'm correct is a characteristic of 4a hair, which should mean I am 4b...Yeah, I'mma stop before I get anymore confused. Hopefully and expert will come in and clear things up lol.

Oh and to the OP, your curls just may not be definable 'cause mine sure aren't! Or at least for now they aren't. Gel just sits on my hair, but that may change as I get out of the TWA stage. But I like my undefined fluffy fro! Unfortunately I can't wear it out now because it's winter :sad5: So, I frequent twist outs as of now.

But on another note, what's up with the 4b section?? It's like slowly dying. We need more action up in here! Just think of how awesome it would be if it was as lively here as in the 4a section!

I hope there are others with hair similar to mine. It'd be cool if I could find some! :happy3:

Omg! My Hair Looks Just Like Yours.....Im So Happy That I Found Someone With Hair Like Mine On Here Because For A Minute I Felt Like I Didnt Belong On This Site....I Jst Had My Big Chop 2 Days Ago And Ive Been Worried That I Was Gonna Look Like A Fool With My TWA....I Do Like Playin With The Springs In My Hair Though...They Feel Awesome...Lol. Any Tips On How To Style This?

KinkyQuirky 01-18-2011 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Preylyu (Post 1567193)
Omg! My Hair Looks Just Like Yours.....Im So Happy That I Found Someone With Hair Like Mine On Here Because For A Minute I Felt Like I Didnt Belong On This Site....I Jst Had My Big Chop 2 Days Ago And Ive Been Worried That I Was Gonna Look Like A Fool With My TWA....I Do Like Playin With The Springs In My Hair Though...They Feel Awesome...Lol. Any Tips On How To Style This?

Oh really? Awesome! Your my first match then! What you can do with a TWA is limited because of the lack of hair, but I do twist outs. When I where my 'fro out, I usually wear a headband and it comes out pretty cute :) You can also pretty it up with cute flowers and bows.

MyHairIsMyHobby 01-18-2011 11:20 PM

Hi Ladies!
I am still not sure what my hair type is. I have been natural for six months now and I have had some different experiences with my hair. One thing I do know is that all hair types can curl! It just depends on the texture and size of the curl. Like one of the posters said above, not all curls are created equally, so you really have to play around with different products to see what works for you.

What specifically worked for me is Kinky Curly. The only thing I dislike about the KC products is that they leave your hair a little gooey before it dries, so use sparingly. Also, a lot of women do not like the smell! But, try it out, you may like it!

Also check out this video that was posted on Curly Nikki's blog:Defining the Curl in 4b/4c Natural Hair | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care

You may be opposed to using gel, but if you shingle, as the video shows, you WILL get some definition!

Bottom Line: type four hair means that it may take a little more product to get the desired definition, but it is possible with some patience and experimentation! Good luck and PM me if you have any more questions!

Viomalva 01-19-2011 06:39 PM

So much WORD to the whole z-shaped strands thing. Has anyone ever seen this in real life? And don't get me started on the 4b pictures that are used to demonstrate what it's supposed to look like lol.

itsKelCeeEee 01-19-2011 11:00 PM

Wtf is a Z strand? LMAO. Wow. Okay.

First off, I'm not even gonna lie; when I first started my natural hair journey and figured out about the hair typing system, I was sure that I had to be a 3c because apparently that's the hairtype for most biracial/multiracials. So imagine my surprise when my TWA started getting bigger and my curls started unraveling so that my head resembled more of a mushroom cloud as opposed to naturally defined curls. I had to accept (luckily that didn't take long) that for one, you don't just have to have one hair type on your head. For another, I had to get over the fact that as a multi-racial chick, my hair just wasn't going to reach epic Rachel True proportions. And finally, I had to just realize...get over it. Your hair is YOUR hair, you didn't go natural just because you thought you'd have flowy curls (at least I hope not), and what comes out of your scalp is yours...which makes it absolutely beautiful.

Oh. And that the hair typing system is complete crap.

It does help some naturals realize what's good for their hair and what isn't as long as they don't go nuts over it, i'll give it that. But when you have people with tightly coiled hair trying to pull off looser curl patterns and they're using the wrong stuff in their hair and it gets all damaged...then there's a problem.

I have to say that I have never seen a "z" shaped curl pattern though (not to say it doesn't exist) but shoot, I wish my head had some Zs! That sounds cool as a mofo. But the point is (and this is the truth), worry about keeping your hair as healthy as possible, because every hhead of long, healthy hair that I've seen looks much better than some damaged, coveted "3c" hair.

That is all :)

belwillcoily 01-20-2011 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsKelCeeEee (Post 1568406)
Wtf is a Z strand? LMAO. Wow. Okay.

First off, I'm not even gonna lie; when I first started my natural hair journey and figured out about the hair typing system, I was sure that I had to be a 3c because apparently that's the hairtype for most biracial/multiracials. So imagine my surprise when my TWA started getting bigger and my curls started unraveling so that my head resembled more of a mushroom cloud as opposed to naturally defined curls. I had to accept (luckily that didn't take long) that for one, you don't just have to have one hair type on your head. For another, I had to get over the fact that as a multi-racial chick, my hair just wasn't going to reach epic Rachel True proportions. And finally, I had to just realize...get over it. Your hair is YOUR hair, you didn't go natural just because you thought you'd have flowy curls (at least I hope not), and what comes out of your scalp is yours...which makes it absolutely beautiful.

Oh. And that the hair typing system is complete crap.

It does help some naturals realize what's good for their hair and what isn't as long as they don't go nuts over it, i'll give it that. But when you have people with tightly coiled hair trying to pull off looser curl patterns and they're using the wrong stuff in their hair and it gets all damaged...then there's a problem.

I have to say that I have never seen a "z" shaped curl pattern though (not to say it doesn't exist) but shoot, I wish my head had some Zs! That sounds cool as a mofo. But the point is (and this is the truth), worry about keeping your hair as healthy as possible, because every hhead of long, healthy hair that I've seen looks much better than some damaged, coveted "3c" hair.

That is all :)

+1 to ALL of this!

belwillcoily 01-20-2011 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KinkyQuirky (Post 1566956)
Nooo @bellwillcoily don't go back to the hidey hole! lol I know EXACTLY how you feel.I'm a fairly new natural, but even I knew something was fishy about Andre's classification of 4b hair.I mean, "zig-zag" and "sharp angles"? Nobody's hair that I know grows out zig-zaged:confused5: I have seen split ends that result in sharp angles on hair strands, but anywho...

I too can see very small coils in my hair when wet. However, I don't waste my time trying to "define" them. They are so densely packed and there always seems to be a halo of frizz that hides them. I've just come to accept that I will never be completely free of frizz, and that's alright with me. I'll share some pictures to show you what I'm working with. Sorry about these obnoxious sizes. I couldn't attach them for some reason.

This is my hair airdried. Only shea butter was added as a sealant. No visible curls, just thick and fluffy looking :P

http://i55.tinypic.com/magrpe.jpg

Here it is again, still completely dry, but a bit closer. I know it's really hard to tell (I'm horrible with close ups lol), but can you see little coils on the ends?

http://i53.tinypic.com/2dcfgye.jpg

Even closer. This is just to show you that halo of frizz.

http://i53.tinypic.com/330flnr.jpg


On this pic, I hope you can see VERY tiny coils in the section I pointed to.

http://i52.tinypic.com/2nrodnl.jpg

And this is just a single coil, VERY small.

http://i51.tinypic.com/2d81jer.jpg

So yeah, by Andre's definition I am definitely NOT 4b, pshh zig zags:roll: But then again, my coils are not visible from a distance, which if I'm correct is a characteristic of 4a hair, which should mean I am 4b...Yeah, I'mma stop before I get anymore confused. Hopefully and expert will come in and clear things up lol.

Oh and to the OP, your curls just may not be definable 'cause mine sure aren't! Or at least for now they aren't. Gel just sits on my hair, but that may change as I get out of the TWA stage. But I like my undefined fluffy fro! Unfortunately I can't wear it out now because it's winter :sad5: So, I frequent twist outs as of now.

But on another note, what's up with the 4b section?? It's like slowly dying. We need more action up in here! Just think of how awesome it would be if it was as lively here as in the 4a section!

I hope there are others with hair similar to mine. It'd be cool if I could find some! :happy3:

KinkyQuirky, love your beautiful teeny, tiny coils! Your hair kind of reminds me of my son's. I know what you mean about the halo of frizz hiding the curly "definition" . My "defined and clumped" coils are so tiny you would have to get all up in the hair to see it. I'm able to get more visible "clumped and defined" tresses when I mold the hair with twists and do a twist out.


And +1 to the bolded. I've pretty much given up on that pipe dream though. The 4b section has "spurts" of high activity if someone makes a post that gets everyone talking and commenting for awhile till the thread dies. Then 4b pretty much fades but doesn't go completely away until the next lively topic. I guess I just have to be content with that for now. I know for myself, a lot of times I'll post a question in 4a and 4b because I'm more likely to get a response from 4a quicker. 4bers respond, they just take their own sweet time (LOL!)

kdelish 01-20-2011 10:09 AM

Im new to being natural also. BC in dec 10. Sorta transitioned for about 3months because I got micro's in october a couple of weeks after a relaxer. I dont know what my hair type is so im gonna just say its a 4. what i did was looked on utube at tutorials. To figure out what to use and how to make my twa curl up.. so hereis what works for me
1. co wash- with suave naturals coconut
2. rinse out conditioner- herbal essence totally twisted lavender and jade extracts
3. leave in giovanni- direct leave in
4. oil- shea oil
5. gel- eco style

this really works for me to define my curls...
look on u-tube for eco style gel for natural hairtutorials that will show you how to put it in your hair to make it curl. it really works

since it cold out side i do all this as my nite time routine
so when get home i just cowash then put in the herbal essence and put on a heat cap.. then get on my teadmill for about 30min and thats how i deep condition rite now. take a shower and rinse out HE and then add the other products to my hair and let it air dry.... this works for me
hope this helps


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:27 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com