Attention- Please Read!!

Like Tree16Likes

As a young curly I know oh too well the struggles. I know about the negativity of parents and family members and the struggles of being natural in high school. This is what initially prompted me to start my blog Curly and Young to help young women like myself.

However, the number of emails I receieve on a daily basis have one underlying theme; A young womans inability to find good hair care products. As young women we are at the mercy of our parents and if they see nothing wrong with the silicon and mineral oil laden products out there that is what we will be forced to use. Moreover, our minimum wage salaries and allowances simply make it impossible to purchase any of the wonderful product we hear of. So we stalk the forums and dream of the day when we own our own credit cards and have the ability to buy the kinky curly and jessicurl, to name a few well known product lines.

Are we all not one family with the same goal of achieving wonderful tresses? And as a family is it not our job to help and support one another. At least I got that vibe after being helped by complete strangers from all over the world and by seeing the friendly correspondences of you women whose only commonality was your curly hair. I am proposing a radical idea- care packages for young needy women. Naturally Curly boasts over a million followers, and has two successful affiliate sites. What if we all came together to donate hair care items to young women in need.

What if there was a section on Curlmart where women could donate products? What if there was a donate button on the site so women could give monetary donations so Naturally Curly could purchase products? What if Naturally Curly asked some of the well known brands to donate products for the cause? I'll tell you what could happen. If all of this was done young women would receive packages and know that there is a supportive family of women who care about them and they would have the tools to take care of their curls and would cease to abuse their hair with flat irons or contemplate returning to a relaxer.

I am a young woman, 17 to be exact, but when I have a dream I will stop at nothing to see it come to fruition. Although I do believe that one young woman can make a difference I still need your help. This project can only work if you are willing to stand behind me. If this is a project that you feel is a worthy cause please leave a comment below because when there are sufficient comments here I do plan to send an email with a link to all of the threads like this which I have started in each hair type forum to Naturally Curly. I am hoping that if Naturally Curly sees that this is something their members are passionate about they will have no qualms about making this dream a reality.

I urge you to leave a comment and help the young naturals who look up to all of you and who need a little help to remain on their natural journeys.

Sorry if this was too long and thank you in advance if you sign this petition

Hugs
Chelsea



Last edited by naturallychelsea; 02-04-2011 at 12:02 PM.
One of the most common misconceptions about natural hair is that it's expensive to maintain, and this is not the case. I don't understand how supplying women with products from Curl Mart or "curl friendly" companies would keep them from relaxing their hair or using a flat iron, being that all of these kinds of hair can be cared for using the same budget. The more expensive products used for natural hair aren't any different than salon products used for relaxed or straight hair, and people maintain straight/relaxed hair without using these products as well.

People are always free to donate products on the swap board, or take slightly used products to their local shelters. Rather than donating products, I think that people should be educated on the products that are extremely cost effective and used on natural hair.

Here are some examples:
- Eco Styler gel is a staple among many naturals, and is cone/mineral oil free. 32 oz can be purchased for $4.79, and when it's on sale it's $2.99
- Tresemme Naturals Moisturizing Conditioner is awesome, and is available for about $6. They also make a low sulfate shampoo.
- Suave Naturals line (the coconut is the most popular I believe) runs $2 a bottle.
- VO5 conditioners - $1-2 a bottle
- Long Aid Styling Gel - About $6 for 16oz, usually can be found on sale at Walgreens or Rite Aid
- Extra virgin olive oil and grapeseed oil can be found at the grocery store, a bottle is usually $6 or less
- Crisco can be used as a natural hair sealant
- Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel - $6 for 24oz
- Plain yogurt can be used as a conditioning protein treatment, add eggs for extra protein

Furthermore, Target has started selling the Shea Moisture line, which is really good (all of the shampoos are sulfate free, all of the conditioners are cone free, great ingredients) and all of the products are $10 or less.

Naturals do not need products Kinky Curly or Jessicurl in order to stay on the "right path" in their natural journeys. I hope this list is helpful to you, and good luck.
Jo Somebody likes this.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
i get what the OP's intentions were, but i totally agree with elle. i'm a grown woman with kid(s) and bills and i can't afford to exclusively use all those expensive boutique products either. i know i'm basically echoing what elle said but it's important to remember that those expensive producs are not the only ones that work and also, part of growing up is learning how to budget. if you can't afford it, you just can't get it.
HomeGrownHairGirl likes this.
I completely agree with both of the opinions expressed being natural does not mean that you have to have deep pockets however one cannot deny that some of the well known product lines out there produce products that are awesome yet out of reach for many financial wise and location wise because if you do not live in the area of one of their retailers or if you do not own a credit / debit card then you simply cannot get those products.

I completely understand what you are saying subbrock however you have misunderstood what it is that I am trying to do here. You see many women proudly boast that they are PJ's in fact there is a whole thread dedicated to weekly buys. Also many naturals will admit that they have cupboards filled with products yet they still want more. Is it so wrong of me to ask that we show a little compassion the next time we buy our products and think of those less fortunate. I'm sorry but that is simply my view on the whole issue and issues like this in general: those in a position to help should help simply because their heart and conscious compells them to.



Last edited by naturallychelsea; 02-04-2011 at 06:01 PM.
I agree with Elle and Subbrock. Being natural does not have to be expensive, and no one is entitled to use anything they can't get their hands on. It is financially and environmentally responsible to use what you can get easily. I don't need to have the latest ballyhooed substance from half the world away to be healthy or happy.

Also, I'm sorry, but adults who don't have a debit or credit card have other issues than not having access to expensive hair products. And just because I have one does not mean I must subsidize their lifestyle.

People have plenty of friends, family and acquaintances to rotate prodcuts to; why should go to the time and expense (not to mention) the carbon footprint to do all this extra? Not to mention the people that you suggest we donate these products to have no idea what they are and how to use them so they would go to waste. There are plenty of people on this very board who admit they have no idea what to do with their hair / products and we count ourselves amongst the more educated of the hair world. There are plenty of products out of my price range and I don't waste one minute of my time worrying about that. I make the best with what I have and try to make choices which put me in the best position possible. Who am I to want what someone else has? Who is anyone to want what I have?
4a/3c curls
Fine strands, not as densely-placed as I would like
Ayurvedic herbs are the TRUTH
Team Wash and Go!
iHerb code:UYA010 - get 5% off your first purchase
Waaiiiiiiitttttt... a minute.
Ok as of last year I was still a starving student and even in highschool I didnt have access to alot of money. Hair products, especially the "nicer" ones available online are not necessities.. they are luxuries. I am grown and still I have to budget save and set aside to make those purchases. Matter a fact if I didnt have to do that in high school I probably wouldnt know how to now..
Elle is trying to show that plenty of good products are available at the drugstore and personally I get 90% of my staples from there. When I was in high school and i wanted fancy hair products (which I was into even back then) i either offered to earn them from my parents or saved whatever money i came up on to get them. I think the list above is a great one, I use half of it!
From what i got the initial issue is that people (teens) who dont have access to lots of money or debit cards have issues finding products, the realistic solution is not in free products, even if people agreed I doubt there will be enough to go around. Show them that there are options on ground, very nice ones .. if the goal is healthy hair there are other ways to achieve that!
HomeGrownHairGirl likes this.
I completely agree with both of the opinions expressed being natural does not mean that you have to have deep pockets however one cannot deny that some of the well known product lines out there produce products that are awesome yet out of reach for many financial wise and location wise because if you do not live in the area of one of their retailers or if you do not own a credit / debit card then you simply cannot get those products.

I completely understand what you are saying subbrock however you have misunderstood what it is that I am trying to do here. You see many women proudly boast that they are PJ's in fact there is a whole thread dedicated to weekly buys. Also many naturals will admit that they have cupboards filled with products yet they still want more. Is it so wrong of me to ask that we show a little compassion the next time we buy our products and think of those less fortunate. I'm sorry but that is simply my view on the whole issue and issues like this in general: those in a position to help should help simply because their heart and conscious compells them to.
Originally Posted by naturallychelsea
you're right, many members proudly boast about being pj's and weekly buys and have cupboards full of products. i don't because i can't afford it. do i count as less fortunate? should people buy/donate products to me? you're giving away bee mine products on your blog but you should give them to me because i can't afford those products. you're in a position to help me, so your heart and conscious should compell you to send them to me ASAP. i can send you my address via PM if you'd like. i don't have a credit card, my parents won't buy me hair products either, and i don't get an allowance. i've been natural 7 yrs and if anything i deserve access to these expensive products even though they don't fit in my budget based solely off of seniority.

Last edited by subbrock; 02-04-2011 at 07:38 PM.
I see that you're trying to come at this with a good heart, but why not try donating to your local shelter. Volunteer at your local community center or maybe sign up to give a class on proper hair care. You could even start a drive at your school. You don't have to solicit donations on the internet to get a cause started if you are truly passionate about it. Otherwise, like the other posters said you will just have to learn that you can't get everything you want. Not everyone can afford to donate products and some just aren't willing. Plus you don't have to get "luxury" brands. Sally and Walmart have cg friendly products that are affordable.

It does seem that you a bit naive (lacking life experience) since you have not had to live on your own budget. Until that happens take heed to the suggestions I and others have given. Best of luck in your venture.
**I know everyone hates being corrected on forums, but I believe the word you were looking for is conscience not conscious.
Whoop whoop!
GIFSoup
Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
I see that you're trying to come at this with a good heart, but why not try donating to your local shelter. Volunteer at your local community center or maybe sign up to give a class on proper hair care. You could even start a drive at your school. You don't have to solicit donations on the internet to get a cause started if you are truly passionate about it. Otherwise, like the other posters said you will just have to learn that you can't get everything you want. Not everyone can afford to donate products and some just aren't willing. Plus you don't have to get "luxury" brands. Sally and Walmart have cg friendly products that are affordable.
Originally Posted by moosegrl_86
For those thinking of donating gently used hair products: get in touch with the shelter BEFORE you show up with boxes and boxes of products. I've spoken to a few near me and many will not accept opened or used products for fear of contamination or tampering.

If you're interested in buying gently used "high end" products, Lolas Green Hair seems to work like a craigslist of different hair products many of them are the designer products. People from all over say "I have x, I'm shipping it from y, here is why it didn't work for me." I've never bought anything from them (I don't like the idea of buying used products from someone I don't know) so I can't say anything about how reliable they are.

However, like everyone said, you don't NEED high end products to maintain a healthy head of natural hair. I'm a full time student and while I have been able to purchase designer products in the past, I can't afford to right now. There are TONS of good drugstore and beauty supply store products that work BETTER than some of the high end products I've tried. They might require a bit of tweaking, but even the tweaks don't strain my pockets too much since many of the oils I use can be used for other purposes (ex: cooking).


Last relaxer: August 2008
Big Chop: December 2008/January 2009

Blog: Alice in Nappyland
girl... no...

i think your heart is in the right place, but... no one should feel obligated to give you some souped up aloe vera gel just b/c they can afford to buy it. i was natural for two years before i joined this site. i was a college student w/ no job and got just enough money for food and transportation from my mom. i didnt feel the need to use kinky curly... i didnt know it existed. i was getting by w/ kids organic shea butter (yes.. it has cones in it... big whoop). i used to buy my shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer for less than $10. now, i have a job (a sucky one that doesnt pay much) and after saving money for a rainy day, buying my weekly metrocard, and getting some groceries, i might have money left over for products... then, and ONLY then do i buy new products. if you dont even have a job, you need to take your allowance, mosey on down to the drug store, READ THE INGREDIENTS OF THE PRODUCTS, and find what you like.

i dn't think this little project would work if anyone did agree w/ it because:
1) i would be in curlmart snatching ALLLLL that stuff up before anyone else could see it. i'm sure other ppl on this site would do the same (why would i buy something if i can get it for free?!)

2)most ppl try multiple products before they find something that they really like. what if you find something that you like and no one ever donates it again? if you can't afford it, and you don't have a steady and reliable supply of it, why even bother trying it?

3)eventually ppl would widdle down their supply of products to the things that they absolutely refuse to give away, and and these donating brands will stop giving away products that they could be making money off of... what about when that happens? where will the products come from?

4) i HIGHLY doubt any teenagers parents would be ok w/ their child sending there address to anyone on the net (even if it's an established store) w/o their permission. and i know if my mom saw me on here trying to get free stuff from ppl like i was some sad charity case... she'd be highly upset to say it mildly.

i don't think you even thought this trough very much. it seems like you just got mad at YOUR parents for not buying what you want and came up w/ this idea to get stuff from other grown folks.
Jo Somebody likes this.
girl... no...

i think your heart is in the right place, but... no one should feel obligated to give you some souped up aloe vera gel just b/c they can afford to buy it. i was natural for two years before i joined this site. i was a college student w/ no job and got just enough money for food and transportation from my mom. i didnt feel the need to use kinky curly... i didnt know it existed. i was getting by w/ kids organic shea butter (yes.. it has cones in it... big whoop). i used to buy my shampoo, conditioner, and moisturizer for less than $10. now, i have a job (a sucky one that doesnt pay much) and after saving money for a rainy day, buying my weekly metrocard, and getting some groceries, i might have money left over for products... then, and ONLY then do i buy new products. if you dont even have a job, you need to take your allowance, mosey on down to the drug store, READ THE INGREDIENTS OF THE PRODUCTS, and find what you like.

i dn't think this little project would work if anyone did agree w/ it because:
1) i would be in curlmart snatching ALLLLL that stuff up before anyone else could see it. i'm sure other ppl on this site would do the same (why would i buy something if i can get it for free?!)

2)most ppl try multiple products before they find something that they really like. what if you find something that you like and no one ever donates it again? if you can't afford it, and you don't have a steady and reliable supply of it, why even bother trying it?

3)eventually ppl would widdle down their supply of products to the things that they absolutely refuse to give away, and and these donating brands will stop giving away products that they could be making money off of... what about when that happens? where will the products come from?

4) i HIGHLY doubt any teenagers parents would be ok w/ their child sending there address to anyone on the net (even if it's an established store) w/o their permission. and i know if my mom saw me on here trying to get free stuff from ppl like i was some sad charity case... she'd be highly upset to say it mildly.

i don't think you even thought this trough very much. it seems like you just got mad at YOUR parents for not buying what you want and came up w/ this idea to get stuff from other grown folks.
Originally Posted by keenylicious
+1
Whoop whoop!
GIFSoup
Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick
I have to agree with all of the above.

You have a good heart, but you have to understand that you are not less fortunate if you can't buy high end products. You are less fortunate when you don't have a home or food on the table. I'm sorry, but this sounds almost like you're asking people to donate a blu-ray to those unfortunate enough to only own a dvd player. These products are luxuries, not essentials.

You can get by without it, you can make your own concoctions or buy cheaper products. There isn't even a guarantee that more expensive products work better than the cheaper ones. I don't use any of the high end products and my hair is doing great.

Sorry if I seem a little harsh, but this to me is not a real problem. If you really want to make a difference, volunteer. Put time in changing things that really matter, don't put all this energy and effort in something that is trivial.
HomeGrownHairGirl likes this.
Wurly 2b/2c/3a Miii - high porosity




Cuius testiculos habes, habeas cardia et cerebellum.

Sodomy non sapiens.

- Terry Pratchett
as a college student i feel i should be more sympathetic ... but i'm not :/ i would gladly give my things to friends that i'm not using or don't like, but that's because it's on my terms and i'm offering it.

i have 4 classes, do research, run a club, and still have time to have a job. if anything it's easier for me to buy hair products now because i don't have kids or real responsibilities (i just have a huge loan. yaaaay haha). i def. agree with what was said above - if you can't afford to buy a product and someone donates it to you and you like it, i think it's even worse. then you can't get it yourself and you know it works! do you really wanna be dependent on someone else all the time?

being a college student is about learning to be an adult and how to take care of yourself. this ... is not advocating that.
Jo Somebody likes this.
I completely agree with both of the opinions expressed being natural does not mean that you have to have deep pockets however one cannot deny that some of the well known product lines out there produce products that are awesome yet out of reach for many financial wise and location wise because if you do not live in the area of one of their retailers or if you do not own a credit / debit card then you simply cannot get those products.

I completely understand what you are saying subbrock however you have misunderstood what it is that I am trying to do here. You see many women proudly boast that they are PJ's in fact there is a whole thread dedicated to weekly buys. Also many naturals will admit that they have cupboards filled with products yet they still want more. Is it so wrong of me to ask that we show a little compassion the next time we buy our products and think of those less fortunate. I'm sorry but that is simply my view on the whole issue and issues like this in general: those in a position to help should help simply because their heart and conscious compells them to.
Originally Posted by naturallychelsea
And I'm sorry, but the bolded is borderline insulting. You think that people need to give you money for "luxury" products or donate things you do not NEED out of the goodness of their hearts? Are you serious? So we're selfish because we don't feel it's necessary to fund your desire for some $30 gel? I just spent the time to give you a list of affordable products because I thought that you were struggling with your hair and didn't know how to care for it due to a lot of BSS products containing cones and mineral oil, and you come back at me with you want the "awesome" stuff? The women who post in the weekly PJ buys are not boasting, they are sharing information about the products that they buy with their OWN money and they can afford. And if you look in the thread, people post all kinds of things, from drugstore to expensive products.

Like Keeny said, my parents would be appalled if I were online asking strangers for $ or products that they would not buy me...I could understand if you were reaching out to the companies themselves (due to their crazy mark up anyway) and were offering to review their products or do a giveaway (like you currently have on your blog), but IMO this is the inappropriate way to go about this.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
okay...yall are saying what i was thinking i just didnt know how to put it.

if you have sushi taste, you need to have sushi money. plain and simple. when my nephew asked me for sushi i told him only folks with a job can buy sushi cause of the high price it is to enjoy it.

now if i choose to send someone a care package it will because my heart moves me to do so.

i know of a few folks that sent someone a care package, one young lady's mom was going through chemotherapy and had cancer so she sent then a little something that they could both enjoy.

another may have lost her job and still has children to feed, clothe and keep a roof over their heads. hell i may send her a care package just because.

but if you are young, have your health and two legs to stand up and walk around, go get yourself a little job if you want some expensive hair products. go bag groceries, mcdonalds, SOMETHING for some pocket money.

i remember one lady whom i love dearly but i had to put in her place when she suggested i had so much stuff why dont i give it away.

if im getting my ass up everyday for a check and i buy hair stuff cause i want to, then let me decide what i want to do with it. im a big girl, i got this.
HomeGrownHairGirl likes this.
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

"Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
[/B]
okay...yall are saying what i was thinking i just didnt know how to put it.

if you have sushi taste, you need to have sushi money. plain and simple. when my nephew asked me for sushi i told him only folks with a job can buy sushi cause of the high price it is to enjoy it.

now if i choose to send someone a care package it will because my heart moves me to do so.

i know of a few folks that sent someone a care package, one young lady's mom was going through chemotherapy and had cancer so she sent then a little something that they could both enjoy.

another may have lost her job and still has children to feed, clothe and keep a roof over their heads. hell i may send her a care package just because.

but if you are young, have your health and two legs to stand up and walk around, go get yourself a little job if you want some expensive hair products. go bag groceries, mcdonalds, SOMETHING for some pocket money.

i remember one lady whom i love dearly but i had to put in her place when she suggested i had so much stuff why dont i give it away.

if im getting my ass up everyday for a check and i buy hair stuff cause i want to, then let me decide what i want to do with it. im a big girl, i got this.
Originally Posted by empressri
+1! I wanted to reply to this thread too, but didn't quite know how to put it!
Texture: Fine
Porosity: Low
Elasticity: Low
Density: Medium/High...I think


~~Lots of Little S-Curls and Corkscrews~~

Last edited by Clarita; 02-05-2011 at 06:50 AM. Reason: spelling
Dear NaturallyChelsea,

With motivation and spunk like this, you're probably going to end up Mark Zuckerburg 2.0. I checked out your blog, and it's cute and cool. You're really going to bat for your market by putting yourself out there like this.

What you've proposed is really bold. The issue is access (financial and physical/geographical). I played devil's advocate to try to understand your point better. I get it. I lived in the rural south when I was around your age (19/20). Getting the quality products I wanted meant ordering online, paying higher prices. But by that time, I'd finished college and I had a job. I wouldn't dare demand my parents buy me Jessicurl. They were asking me for money to pay bills and rent since I still lived at home.

At first I didn't know whether to be offended by your plea or it was something I should support. I do believe young people need healthy hair (among a laundry list of other things of higher priority, like clean water; wholesome, healthy food; access to healthcare; a safe place to live; and access to a quality education). I read all of the responses to your initial post, and I've come to the conclusion that your request reeks of entitlement. Yes, you are entitled to a good quality of life which includes those things I listed above; but no, you are not entitled to expensive "high quality" hair care products. And they're not needed to have healthy hair. They're just extra. Sometimes a lot extra.

I feel as a young curly if you want closets full of products, maybe this is something you should aspire to in the future...but trust and believe the grass is not greener. I once had a patient in the hospital. She was an elderly, southern woman and a little demented. She was telling me about her ex. She said, "He cheated on me, but I kept coming back. And when it was over, all I had was messed up hair and a wet behind." Her words. Ok, maybe I just wanted to retell that hilarious story. But being a product junkie is not all it's cracked up to be.

Some of these boutique product lines (because let's be honest....that's what they are) are not accessible to people who don't have jobs and/or money and/or credit cards. For all you know, these people who have plenty may be going into major debt over this ****. I do have to give you props for having the verve to put it out there like there though LOL. My hair actually grew up on Blue Magic and other hair greases. It wasn't the best for my hair, but I looked good, my hair was healthy (albeit heavy), and it was the best my mom could do. I'm thankful my parents did not relax my hair, and took the time to braid it up each week with that Blue Magic.

This is what the sell/swap board is for, too. Many people (myself included), sell gently used and sometimes brand spanking new products for super deep discount there. That includes low shipping costs where, speaking for myself, I actually eat the cost to get rid of the product. I cannot see myself buying, say Miss Jessie's or Kinky Curly (something you can get at some Targets and Whole Foods Markets) for 30 and 50 dollars and then giving it away to kids and teens in college while I pay for shipping. Um, no.

I agree with the point made that you should lobby some of these boutique product lines to do a young-and-unemployed person's giveaway every so often if you want free, full size (I'm assuming) products. This may have gone over a lot better if you'd simply asked for samples....but again, this is what the sell/swap board is for....

Sincerely,
Curlyarca
(Reformed product junkie, still-kinda-young curly).

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
Places to find inexpensive, quality hair care products:

-WalMart
-drugstores like Rite-Aid, WalGreen's, CVS
-your local beauty supply store
-Target
-Sally Beauty Supply
-Sell/swap boards at various hair websites
-your local grocery store
-your local dollar store (and if you don't have a dollar store in your area, either you live way out in the woods or maybe you're not as poor as you think you are)
-product giveaways

Places to get money to buy said products:

-your job (btw, minimum wage after the first 90 days of employment is 7 dollars and change an hour now which is a big improvement from the 4 dollars and some change from the late 90s/early oughts. Minimum wage is not meant to be something people with families live on.)
-your parents
-bdaymoney/holiday money
-your grandparents
-sell your stuff

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
Not everything that is widely marketed is 'good' for your hair.

Teaching young women to budget...is a better idea. I am now back in college (graduate school) at 24, even though I work, I still must budget my hair care very carefully. As a college student you learn to use your resources and must learn to adapt with lack of resources. You proposal seems like a good idea, but it has too many issues to make it a complete success so I am offering a compromise.

Have you heard of:

Lolas Green Hair

This site provides gently used "brand-name" or widely marketed products for naturals at pretty deep discounts. She also offers articles on why good-hair doesn't need to cost an arm and a leg.
Natural since July 2009
Hair Type: 4a
Regimen: Ayuverdic + Natural
Blog: A Naturally Kinky-Curvy Cyster
Along with looking into stores like Target, Walmart, pharmacies, etc., perhaps you could also encourage your readers to make their own hair products. I'm not talking about anything too involved. Keeping it simple is best.

Take a look at these videos:
YouTube - Do It Yourself: Natural Homemade Creamy and Fluffy Shea Butter Cremes Recipe

YouTube - Do It Yourself: Homemade Natural Hair Gel with Flaxseeds

The woman in the video only uses her own homemade recipes now (to my knowledge) and her hair is thriving just the same. Even Esperanza Spalding keeps it simple, and I'm sure she's got deeper pockets than me : Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care: Search results for esperanza spalding

Bottom line, it's a myth that natural hair only thrives on, as someone above described them, boutique product lines. It's also a myth that a natural woman needs 30+ products in her arsenal and 9+ products to layer daily in order for her hair to thrive or look its best. I'm not being snarky here, btw. Note: To women who do use/purchase many products, I'm not calling you out; people like what they like and do what they can afford.

I'm actually speaking from experience. I, too, once thought that I needed to buy from all the big names and needed to layer different products in order to achieve the best look. I went natural the month before I entered college. Fortunately, my student job paid well above minimum wage and I could afford my splurges, but trust me, 90% of the stuff I tried either didn't do a damn thing for me or I could have lived without it. Now that I've graduated and my financial situation isn't as good as it used to be, I've learned to live without -- and my hair's doing just fine. Since it's winter, I've been getting away with twisting my hair with water and a butter from Skinfolk. Granted, I bought the butter, I didn't mix it up myself, but that's just because I'm lazy and frankly, I can still afford to treat myself now and then. However, that doesn't mean that I couldn't make up my own butter like Naptural85 if I needed to do so. BTW, you don't need to use several different oils if you don't want to. Find what oil(s) you like, what they do for the hair, and take it from there. I truly hope this helps b/c I can tell your heart is in the right place.

Last edited by nms; 02-05-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:00 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com