CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   4 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/)
-   -   Curl activator vs Texturizer vs Jeri curl vs S-curl?? (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/124675-curl-activator-vs-texturizer-vs-jeri-curl-vs-s-curl.html)

MystiQue 04-17-2011 08:43 AM

Curl activator vs Texturizer vs Jeri curl vs S-curl??
 
Ok. I am officially at my wits end. I BC'd a couple of weeks ago, best decision of my life. I'm still working on establishing a working regiment. Right now I co-wash 3x a week, add Cantu Shea butter as a leave in, and a little Africa's best mixed oils. DC once a week. From reading the boards I've purchased other products to try, still waiting on them.

Now here's the problem. I have the 'kinkiest' hair ever.Seriously. It's like a tightly coiled carpet on my scalp. The only time I see any 'curls' is when I pull one hair out and squint at it. When I BC'd, I didn't plan on using any combs, but I look homeless when I dont. It hurts like heck to pick my hair even slightly. I usually do my own braids, this weekend I realized my hair is too short for me to braid it myself (scream).

I have to do something about it. I dont want any permanent chems so I guess a texturizer is out? I tried 2 curl activators, all I got was white, still carpety hair. Whats the diff between s-curl and jeri curl, what do they do? Pros, cons... What should I try? Please help, it's driving me crazy :(

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App

curly_cassy 04-17-2011 09:02 PM

I totally understand. The middle of my head is exactly what you describe. No curls & hard to comb.

I've tried a texturizer, curly perm, and relaxer. Needless to say I didn't like any of them. Being natural isn't easy when you have extremely coarse hair but I think you should wait it out a little bit longer and learn more about how to care of your hair and then make the decision to use chemicals again.

Try new and inexpensive conditioners and gels. Have you considered being "curly girl"? Eco styler and conditioner work for my hair like no other product can.

BTW i've also had a jeri curl and it had to be the most humiliating months of my life. My hair was always wet and greasy... lol I was also allergic to it and my hair just started to fall out in patches. I'm still in my teen years but i've had bad experiences with most chemicals so I think you should just wait a bit.

P.P. 04-18-2011 06:48 PM

my hair is dense and carpet-y too!:lol: I didn't know anyone else described their hair that way.

+1 on Eco
have you tried gels yet? a leave-in then Eco Styler (Olive or Yellow) might give a different look? I also mix the gel with condtioner and olive oil in a Glad storage container for a less crunchity outcome.

I used to just leave in a cheapie condish +oil when my hair was shorter. I sorta rolled w/ my rug-yness.:toothy4: Looking back I wish i'd been more adventurous and tried a few styling products.

k.lee 04-19-2011 04:59 PM

I also have the hair that you described and I am tender-headed so picking is definitely a no-no. The only thing that I can recommend for you is to just wait it out. In the morning I just moisturize, seal, and run the tangle teezer over my hair, which takes 5 minutes or less depending on how tired I am. I recommend just learning about your hair now so that the later years are easier, rather than potentially damaging your hair.

LaVaraz 04-20-2011 12:29 AM

I can relate to your troubles. I too have thick, kinky, coily hair. I have only been natural for a couple weeks so I won't pretend to be an expert. What I can say is don't give up just yet. Get to know what your hair likes and what it can do.


So far the eco styler olive oil gel has worked great for defining my tight coils/curls. I use a small amount on top of some conditioner then seal with a light oil spray. I tried the Africa's best oil, but found it to be too heavy for my hair.

Best of luck to you!

pulchri2dinous 04-20-2011 03:29 AM

It seems to me that you just want your hair to curl, but what if it doesn't?

Quote:

Originally Posted by k.lee (Post 1638935)
I also have the hair that you described and I am tender-headed so picking is definitely a no-no. The only thing that I can recommend for you is to just wait it out. In the morning I just moisturize, seal, and run the tangle teezer over my hair, which takes 5 minutes or less depending on how tired I am. I recommend just learning about your hair now so that the later years are easier, rather than potentially damaging your hair.

Perhaps you want to work on the dryness before you start worrying about curls. Hair tends to look it's best when it's well moisturized. curly_cassy mentioned that you may want to consider trying out a cone free regimen to see if that is the problem.

ttlolla 04-20-2011 04:12 AM

If your head hurts and is dry. I'd say water is your friend . Try to remedy the dryness first

Sent from my Desire HD using CurlTalk App

AlikaIssa 04-20-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MystiQue (Post 1636593)
Right now I co-wash 3x a week, add Cantu Shea butter as a leave in, and a little Africa's best mixed oils.

Cantu Shea butter has a silicone in it so it can cause build up if you are not shampooing your hair. If you are planning to co wash it may be a good idea to find a cone free leave in.

Have you tried a water and glycerine spritz sealed with an oil? Some people love glycerine others hate it. As you have an interest in curl activators I assume that you don't have an aversion to glycerine based products. If you haven't already tried it you may want to see if your hair likes it.

It may also be a good idea for you to baggy your hair after you apply your moisturiser. This is a good way to help the moisture penetrate the cuticle leaving your hair soft and moisturised.

ReynaCR 04-20-2011 06:46 AM

RE:
 
Ya'll don't hate me for this, but I swear to God I was surely saying the same thing you just said a month ago, and so I decided to give Curlaway a try. If you're a 4b then you may not get curls or whatever you're looking for there, but your hair will definitely be more manageable. I don't even have to use a comb as a styling tool anymore, only finger styling!

You just have to moisturize your hair more if you're gonna try it, though. It will help your hair take in more moisture, which will make your hair more manageable and it won't be hard or hurt when you use your pick!

(side note: I done already tried the texturizers, kiddie perms, etc... all that stuff you named in your post...)

Blessings :wave: !

g donya 04-20-2011 11:38 AM

i agree with all of the comments above. I would try the following: 1. spritz hair in the morning with water, li and glycern to combat the dryness.
2. use the baggy method. if possible sleep with a shower cap on your head as often as needed.
3. in the morning seal hair with an oil. try an light oil like grapeseed or maybe an heavier oil like olive oil. do this as often as needed.

if the activator is causing a white film you may be using too much or it might not work with the other products your using. I have problems layering products because i have a heavy hand when it comes to application so i pre-mix my products in a bowl first and then apply it to to my hair.

also try a styler like KCCC or ecostyler gel for a little definition. but beware if you use too much of any of these products you will be left with a white film and/or crunchy hair.

good luck. the journey can be long and frustrating at time but it is well work it.

MystiQue 04-20-2011 08:47 PM

Thanks!!
 
OMG, thank you guys for the advice. I was really getting depressed about it.
So, I decided to work on all my complaints one at a time, lol.

For the dryness and over 'kinky-ness', I decided maybe I needed a better conditioner for my cowashes, one without protein, and less cones. I picked Herbal Essence Hello Hydration. I know it has Dimethicone, but I've heard great things about it, so I tried it. And MAN, I was almost in tears in the shower. My hair has never ever felt so soft and satisfied, like it was thirsty for so long...ugh. I'm sold.

For the carpety-ness and lack of curls, I decided to try IC Fantasia (no BSS near me sells Ecostyler, seriously??) And it works ok, I feel I could do better, but it's better than where I was :tongue5: I dont have to use a comb now but I'll try the Ecostyler.

Thats where I am for now, thanks again guys....

(Of course that doesnt mean I wont be back with more questions....I will. :toothy4:)

MystiQue 04-20-2011 08:59 PM

PS
 
Oh, forgot to share my Cantu Shea butter story, I realized it was making my scalp itch like crazy!! So I've marked that as a fail for me, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

B-Nessa11 04-21-2011 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MystiQue (Post 1640257)
Oh, forgot to share my Cantu Shea butter story, I realized it was making my scalp itch like crazy!! So I've marked that as a fail for me, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Omg. I hate cantu products! I had bought like 3 different cantu products and I gave them all away. They all gave me super dandruff and an itchy scalp. Gross

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App

MystiQue 04-22-2011 11:12 AM

Wow, glad it's not just me! What do you think is in their stuff that causes the itchiness? So I can stay away from it. I was thinking the shea butter??

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App

AlikaIssa 04-22-2011 02:30 PM

I doubt that it is the Shea butter that is causing the itchiness in the Cantu Shea butter Leave in.

I suspect that it was Steralkonium chloride. I used a conditioner with this ingredient and it caused major itchiness. I ended up having to shampoo my hair again not long after using it. After this happened I did some research and found that this ingredient can cause skin and eye irritation.

I've used Cantu Shea butter in the past but I never put it on my scalp because the instructions say 'Avoid applying any styling or conditioning product directly on new growth', so I figured that there was something in the product that wouldn't be good for the skin.

B-Nessa11 04-22-2011 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MystiQue (Post 1641812)
Wow, glad it's not just me! What do you think is in their stuff that causes the itchiness? So I can stay away from it. I was thinking the shea butter??

Sent from my SGH-T959V using CurlTalk App

Yea I love actual shea butter. I think it was the other ingredients in the products that did it. Ain't no telling what it was, I just know it wasn't the shea!


Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App

B-Nessa11 04-22-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlikaIssa (Post 1642028)
I doubt that it is the Shea butter that is causing the itchiness in the Cantu Shea butter Leave in.

I suspect that it was Steralkonium chloride. I used a conditioner with this ingredient and it caused major itchiness. I ended up having to shampoo my hair again not long after using it. After this happened I did some research and found that this ingredient can cause skin and eye irritation.

I've used Cantu Shea butter in the past but I never put it on my scalp because the instructions say 'Avoid applying any styling or conditioning product directly on new growth', so I figured that there was something in the product that wouldn't be good for the skin.

Ohhh. I didn't know that...I dont think I put it on my scalp, but it didn't do much with my hair either so I let it go.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App

yrh11 04-22-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynaCR (Post 1639411)
Ya'll don't hate me for this, but I swear to God I was surely saying the same thing you just said a month ago, and so I decided to give Curlaway a try. If you're a 4b then you may not get curls or whatever you're looking for there, but your hair will definitely be more manageable. I don't even have to use a comb as a styling tool anymore, only finger styling!

You just have to moisturize your hair more if you're gonna try it, though. It will help your hair take in more moisture, which will make your hair more manageable and it won't be hard or hurt when you use your pick!

(side note: I done already tried the texturizers, kiddie perms, etc... all that stuff you named in your post...)

Blessings :wave: !



What is Curlaway? Is that the brand name?

ReynaCR 04-25-2011 09:35 AM

RE:
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh11 (Post 1642234)
Quote:

Originally Posted by ReynaCR (Post 1639411)
Ya'll don't hate me for this, but I swear to God I was surely saying the same thing you just said a month ago, and so I decided to give Curlaway a try. If you're a 4b then you may not get curls or whatever you're looking for there, but your hair will definitely be more manageable. I don't even have to use a comb as a styling tool anymore, only finger styling!

You just have to moisturize your hair more if you're gonna try it, though. It will help your hair take in more moisture, which will make your hair more manageable and it won't be hard or hurt when you use your pick!

(side note: I done already tried the texturizers, kiddie perms, etc... all that stuff you named in your post...)

Blessings :wave: !



What is Curlaway? Is that the brand name?

Yep! Here are three links on it:

Xenna-Curlaway | Curlaway Curl Relaxer | Natural hair relaxer | Chemical free relaxer | No lye relaxer (their website)

Long Hair Care Forum - View Single Post - Has anyone heard of Curlaway Curl relaxer by Xenna? (someone on LHCF giving a review)

Curlaway Natural Relaxer by Ian Charles / Xenna | Crown MB (Me rambling about how I used it and how it's changed my regimen)

From their site: "Curlaway Curl Relaxer breaks hydrogen bonds in the keratin protein of your hair, not S-S bonds like conventional, high-pH relaxers."

We all know we're not using a relaxer in our hair, so if she only uses it for manageability with no blow dryer, it should allow the hair to take in more of whatever product she chooses to put on it. The only thing she'll have to do is beef up the moisture, like someone else said. I haven't used it in almost two months and my hair is just now getting back to it's kinky, knotted-up texture.

I planned on using it once a week, but now I'm gonna use it once every two months, since I only care about my hair being manageable and having less breakage. I won't lie though, my hair is a heck of a lot more manageable!

Blessings, ladies!

greenandchic 04-28-2011 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MystiQue (Post 1640257)
Oh, forgot to share my Cantu Shea butter story, I realized it was making my scalp itch like crazy!! So I've marked that as a fail for me, I wonder if anyone else has experienced this?

Cantu is the worst product (for me) - ever! It made my hair dry, greasy, filmy, white, itchy at the same time. Just wanted to let you know you're not alone with the Cantu!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:57 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com