Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 4

Old 05-26-2011, 10:55 PM   #21

itsKelCeeEee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Send a message via AIM to itsKelCeeEee Send a message via Skype™ to itsKelCeeEee

Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree View Post
I'll be honest. I couldn't get past the first 40 seconds. I think that pieces like this set us up to be attacked by people like Satoshi, because we are so candid with exposing our insecurities. Not trying to spark a debate/discussion, that's just how I feel. I won't watch it. And I know that people already know about our insecurities, but we are constantly reminding society of how "downtrodden" we are.
Because if we didn't, life would be too easy. It's just like how I told someone if that movie Precious starred a white person in that situation, no one would've watched that movie/given a crap. No one's happy unless black people are nitpicking at each other and pointing out each other's "flaws". IMO.

Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
itsKelCeeEee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 AM   #22

Old 05-27-2011, 09:16 AM   #23

After watching the clip I agree with Elle's comment.
We wear our insecurities on your sleeves all the time. It not new news to them. This documentary is for us, not them.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:24 AM   #24

After watching the clip I agree with Elle's comment.
Plus, it's time to let go of trying to "front" for the world...we can't "fake it till we make it" with this one. Sorry.

We've been struggling with this too long. We should be more ashamed of that, than how a documentary makes us look. I don't think this documentary is going to be on "their" must-watch list, anyway.

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Old 05-27-2011, 09:26 AM   #25

That's true. However, it's on the internet for all the world to see.

As a dark skinned woman growing up in London no one ever said anything negative about my skin colour. In fact, I got a lot of unwanted attention from black men growing up so a lot of the stuff that they are talking about in the documentary is news to me.

I've spent a lot of time in the states and before I started covering up I got a lot of unwanted attention from black men over there as well. My sisters are also dark skinned and they get a lot of attention from black men in the states. I have dark skinned friends and family members and they get a lot of attention from black men in the states.

That documentary can lead people to think that all black people in the states discriminate against all dark skinned women but that just isn't true.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #26

That's true. However, it's on the internet for all the world to see.

If they think that, that's their problem. Of course not all things will apply to all people.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:32 AM   #27

afrosheenqueen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2000

Racists don't need films to be racist against us. They will always find something. I don't understand the logic behind caring what they think to the point of limiting dialogue and expression.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
afrosheenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:36 AM   #28

That's true.

It's just that if I had never spent any time in the states I would have a very negative picture of the black people over there because of that documentary.

Thank God I've been to the states several times so I know that it's not as bad as this documentary makes it seem.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:38 AM   #29

.............

You can't stop people from thinking that way. They will do it regardless. People will continue to make blanket statements about black people and it won't always apply to you. They do that with other races as well. People may look at the Jersey Shore or Real Housewives of New Jersey and say all Italians are trashy white people (I don't believe that to be true at all) but that's how some people think.

I didn't personally have a negative experience with colorism either but that doesn't mean that I shouldn't care about the issue enough to want to support a documentary that brings the issue to light.

And just because you have experienced positive attention from black men doesn't mean that colorism isn't running rampant in the black community. If you were exposing your self like you imply, you support the argument of one of the women in the clip that said dark skin women are more objectified sexually.

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG

Last edited by CocoT; 05-30-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 05-27-2011, 09:39 AM   #30

Originally Posted by afrosheenqueen View Post
racists don't need films to be racist against us. They will always find something. i don't understand the logic behind caring what they think to the point of limiting dialogue and expression.
+1000000000

Old 05-27-2011, 09:42 AM   #31

That's true. However, it's on the internet for all the world to see.

When I said 'covering up' I meant wearing a hijab (head scarves that muslim women wear)

Old 05-27-2011, 09:45 AM   #32

Old 05-27-2011, 09:50 AM   #33

That's ok.

I do get a bit upset when people presume that I must have done something to deserve the unwanted attention. I grew up as a tom boy. I've always worn loose clothing but men still harass me.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 AM   #34

Anyway, I'm really upset now so I'm staying out of this thread.
My apologies for stepping in the conversation, but where did she imply that you did something to desire unwanted attention? I wore baggy clothes as a teen (Cross Colors ) and never wore fitted shirts but that didn't stop guys and grown a$$ men from hitting on me in very inappropriate ways. No one is blaming you at all.
Old 05-27-2011, 10:01 AM   #35

That's true. However, it's on the internet for all the world to see.

Right...and it means that they're not able to understand colorism as a whole, just like racism...which means they're not too bright.

I got sense enough to know that EVERY black person in AMERICA is not colorstruck, and that video doesn't conflict with what I already know to be true.

Those who choose to make sweeping generalizations about black people will continue to do so...business as usual. They may say, "See? I told you they're a sorry lot!", to make us think that their opinion of us can change, depending on the "cultural/societal weather", but in truth it doesn't change a darn thing.

Racists aren't logical, nor are they concerned with being factual...truth always takes a back seat to heart attitudes, that aren't based on sound thinking. There are enough examples in the world, for anybody who cares to know the truth, of capable, intelligent, head-on-straight black people...and we're still gettin' hit.

Let's focus on thinking right about ourselves, and not so much about how "they" think about us. Our struggles are what they are.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:10 AM   #36

Anyway, I'm really upset now so I'm staying out of this thread.
No, you're not. It's time for melodrama.

Nobody said you were responsible for the unwanted attention you received from black men.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #37

I cried when I watched it , so disheartening, She is just a baby

I don't know how but this has to end
Old 05-27-2011, 10:18 AM   #38

chameleonrose's Avatar

Join Date: May 2011

i feel the same way! Although chris rock documentary was very superficial, i feel i brought to light our insecurities. Although shadism/colorism is a plague within our community, I'm very uncomfortable with the thought of giving people outside our race judging and analizing us, and concluding well whatever the hell they want. i feel that the black communities flaws are constantly being highlighted as opposed to highligthing the positive changes that are taking place within our community.

chameleonrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:32 AM   #39

Good Lord !
Old 05-27-2011, 10:36 AM   #40

Join Date: Apr 2011

I understand the need to highlight the positives , but there is a reason these topics come up time and time again and that is because the problem still exists .

What is the point of burying our heads in the sand ?