Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 4

Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2011, 10:38 AM   #41
 
hippiedoll's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 397
Default

I'm dark skin/brown skin (whatever people are calling it these days). I never had a problem with my skintone. I actually love the skin I'm in. I don't think skin color determines beauty. You're either attractive or not; It has nothing to do with being light skin or dark skin. This is just my opinion on the subject.
__________________
Products I'm currently :
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Sweet Ambrosia (Vanilla Latte scent)
  • Shea Moisture Coconut & Hibiscus Curl & Style Milk
  • Certified Organic Coconut Oil
  • Karen's Body Beautiful Heavenly Jojoba Oil
Staple Deep Conditioners: Giovanni Direct Leave-in and Karen's Body Beautiful Luscious Locks Hair Mask

Recent newbie to the Curly Girl Method
6 months post relaxer. I will be 7 months post September 17 !!
hippiedoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #42
 
chameleonrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 48
Default

No need to burry our heads in the sand, but i dont think any person of color is shocked to see that is something prevalent in our community. we know it, we've always known it. this documentary is bringing not bringing to light anything new, except maybe for white people. i think someone earlier in the thread said, this documentary was for us not for them. i disagree, because like i said. this is not news to me and i didnt grow up in the us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlolla View Post
I understand the need to highlight the positives , but there is a reason these topics come up time and time again and that is because the problem still exists .

What is the point of burying our heads in the sand ?
chameleonrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 AM   #43
 
ttlolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 938
Default

Ok then , emphasis should be placed on how to end or reduce this kind of prejudice . Just wish I knew how
ttlolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:51 AM   #44
 
Ninjarette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlolla View Post
Ok then , emphasis should be placed on how to end or reduce this kind of prejudice . Just wish I knew how
That's right.
__________________
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Ninjarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:53 AM   #45
 
chameleonrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 48
Default

this is not a black people thing only, i feel that documentary dark girls might make it seem that this only happens in america to black people. this is something that happens to people of color in general
please see link below

Shadeism on Vimeo
chameleonrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #46
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,321
Default

Right. I didn't want to come back in here, but you're saying everything that I wanted to say. I sincerely doubt that those in the black community are unaware of our vast issues with colorism and concepts of what is attractive. I learned this when I was probably 8 years old and my parents NEVER EVER focused on skin color. This was UNACCEPTABLE in my household. The first time I learned about the Paper Bag Test was on the Sinbad show (the ep with the grandmother).

If people are going to continue to document it, they need to focus on solutions. Pardon me, but if I hear one more, "I'm so sad I'm dark," or "I got beat up because I was light" story one more time, I'm melting my black card into a plastic pebble. Most people have some kind of issue with their skin color growing up - this is NOT a secret to black people. Why do we need to continue broadcast it?? I don't get it. It's not about faking it for other races, it's about a constant focus on something negative without providing any light at the end of the tunnel, which is pointless, imo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleonrose View Post
No need to burry our heads in the sand, but i dont think any person of color is shocked to see that is something prevalent in our community. we know it, we've always known it. this documentary is bringing not bringing to light anything new, except maybe for white people. i think someone earlier in the thread said, this documentary was for us not for them. i disagree, because like i said. this is not news to me and i didnt grow up in the us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlolla View Post
I understand the need to highlight the positives , but there is a reason these topics come up time and time again and that is because the problem still exists .

What is the point of burying our heads in the sand ?
__________________
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 10:57 AM   #47
 
afrosheenqueen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 6,763
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleonrose View Post
No need to burry our heads in the sand, but i dont think any person of color is shocked to see that is something prevalent in our community. we know it, we've always known it. this documentary is bringing not bringing to light anything new, except maybe for white people. i think someone earlier in the thread said, this documentary was for us not for them. i disagree, because like i said. this is not news to me and i didnt grow up in the us.
A lot of documentaries don't shed light on anything new. What they do is act as a mirror for people to see themselves. Like in The Cove for example. Many people know the Japanaese kill dolphins & whales regularly. There's no "research" going on. But to see it was very powerful and moving.

If anyone has ever perpetuated colorism in their house or around their friends this can show you the aftermath. How the words have hurt and how long it lasts. The damage it's causes us as a people.

Many people, men & women, have said something similar to the brother in the film about his "preferences". But to see it being said in the context of the film, it sounds hella ignorant and sad.
__________________
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL

Last edited by afrosheenqueen; 05-27-2011 at 11:03 AM.
afrosheenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:00 AM   #48
 
Ninjarette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree View Post
Right. I didn't want to come back in here, but you're saying everything that I wanted to say. I sincerely doubt that those in the black community are unaware of our vast issues with colorism and concepts of what is attractive. I learned this when I was probably 8 years old and my parents NEVER EVER focused on skin color. This was UNACCEPTABLE in my household. The first time I learned about the Paper Bag Test was on the Sinbad show (the ep with the grandmother).

If people are going to continue to document it, they need to focus on solutions. Pardon me, but if I hear one more, "I'm so sad I'm dark," or "I got beat up because I was light" story one more time, I'm melting my black card into a plastic pebble. Most people have some kind of issue with their skin color growing up - this is NOT a secret to black people. Why do we need to continue broadcast it?? I don't get it. It's not about faking it for other races, it's about a constant focus on something negative without providing any light at the end of the tunnel, which is pointless, imo.
Okay, then let's drop the concern over how we're perceived by the "Satoshi" types, and focus on changing how we think about ourselves.
__________________
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Ninjarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:18 AM   #49
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,321
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree View Post
Right. I didn't want to come back in here, but you're saying everything that I wanted to say. I sincerely doubt that those in the black community are unaware of our vast issues with colorism and concepts of what is attractive. I learned this when I was probably 8 years old and my parents NEVER EVER focused on skin color. This was UNACCEPTABLE in my household. The first time I learned about the Paper Bag Test was on the Sinbad show (the ep with the grandmother).

If people are going to continue to document it, they need to focus on solutions. Pardon me, but if I hear one more, "I'm so sad I'm dark," or "I got beat up because I was light" story one more time, I'm melting my black card into a plastic pebble. Most people have some kind of issue with their skin color growing up - this is NOT a secret to black people. Why do we need to continue broadcast it?? I don't get it. It's not about faking it for other races, it's about a constant focus on something negative without providing any light at the end of the tunnel, which is pointless, imo.
Okay, then let's drop the concern over how we're perceived by the "Satoshi" types, and focus on changing how we think about ourselves.
The only reason I mentioned Satoshi is because that drama recently happened and this reminded me of a survey on "Effortless Perfection" I did in college about the females on my campus. There is so much effed up stuff going on in other communities that we may not even know about because they "keep it in the family." When you are constantly open with it, as black people are, it makes you vulnerable and an easy target for attack. Then, the constant attacks affect you even more. It's a very dangerous merry-go-round. At first I didn't even care about the article about black women, until someone pointed out what things like this can do to our youth and perpetuate the negative feelings already there. How are we supposed to work through ourselves when we constantly have "others" jumping in, beating us back down?
__________________
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:39 AM   #50
 
chameleonrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 48
Default

+10000000000000000000000000000
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyellyoxenfree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nea View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellyellyoxenfree View Post
right. I didn't want to come back in here, but you're saying everything that i wanted to say. I sincerely doubt that those in the black community are unaware of our vast issues with colorism and concepts of what is attractive. I learned this when i was probably 8 years old and my parents never ever focused on skin color. This was unacceptable in my household. The first time i learned about the paper bag test was on the sinbad show (the ep with the grandmother).

If people are going to continue to document it, they need to focus on solutions. Pardon me, but if i hear one more, "i'm so sad i'm dark," or "i got beat up because i was light" story one more time, i'm melting my black card into a plastic pebble. Most people have some kind of issue with their skin color growing up - this is not a secret to black people. Why do we need to continue broadcast it?? I don't get it. it's not about faking it for other races, it's about a constant focus on something negative without providing any light at the end of the tunnel, which is pointless, imo.
okay, then let's drop the concern over how we're perceived by the "satoshi" types, and focus on changing how we think about ourselves.
the only reason i mentioned satoshi is because that drama recently happened and this reminded me of a survey on "effortless perfection" i did in college about the females on my campus. There is so much effed up stuff going on in other communities that we may not even know about because they "keep it in the family." when you are constantly open with it, as black people are, it makes you vulnerable and an easy target for attack. Then, the constant attacks affect you even more. It's a very dangerous merry-go-round. At first i didn't even care about the article about black women, until someone pointed out what things like this can do to our youth and perpetuate the negative feelings already there. How are we supposed to work through ourselves when we constantly have "others" jumping in, beating us back down?
chameleonrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 AM   #51
 
tbabyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 567
Default

I agree with what was said about the mirror. The tolerance of skin tone is really based on households! Some people grew up in households where they were taught people shouldn't be judged based on their skin tone....SOME PEOPLE WEREN'T! Like the lady said when her friend said thank goodness her child didn't come out dark...where did she learn that from? is it something she formed on her own or something she grew up? Yes, people know our weakness so what?? WE ARE THE ONES DOING IT TO OURSELVES!!! People may look at this video and say "look how they treat THEIR OWN PEOPLE!" Its a DAMN shame. Sorry, I would rather have everybody know about what we do to our own people, than try to act like its not a big deal...like everybody in the black community already knows and does nothing about it.

Of course it doesn't happen to just Black people...but that's what we are focusing on right now. The Indians can make a video about how girls with lighter eyes are more favored than those with dark eyes. This movie is about US! Fixing US! Showing US! LOOK AT YOURSELF! We need to broadcast it...BECAUSE NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!

And lets not forget, we don't know if this movie intends to provide a solution, how to end it...this clip was only a PREVIEW. There is more to the story so it does seemed biased until we see the whole movie. But I refuse to say that this is something we need to keep to ourselves. The "i'm dark, I'm light, I was bullied" sob story is a sad story...BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT BEING DARK OR LIGHT AND THESE OTHER KIDS BULLYING YOU ABOUT SOMETHING YOU COULD DO NOTHING ABOUT, HURTS! If it didn't happen to you, then okay. But damn, just because you don't know, don't mean you can't empathize!
__________________


LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY!
tbabyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:50 AM   #52
 
Ninjarette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree View Post
Right. I didn't want to come back in here, but you're saying everything that I wanted to say. I sincerely doubt that those in the black community are unaware of our vast issues with colorism and concepts of what is attractive. I learned this when I was probably 8 years old and my parents NEVER EVER focused on skin color. This was UNACCEPTABLE in my household. The first time I learned about the Paper Bag Test was on the Sinbad show (the ep with the grandmother).

If people are going to continue to document it, they need to focus on solutions. Pardon me, but if I hear one more, "I'm so sad I'm dark," or "I got beat up because I was light" story one more time, I'm melting my black card into a plastic pebble. Most people have some kind of issue with their skin color growing up - this is NOT a secret to black people. Why do we need to continue broadcast it?? I don't get it. It's not about faking it for other races, it's about a constant focus on something negative without providing any light at the end of the tunnel, which is pointless, imo.
Okay, then let's drop the concern over how we're perceived by the "Satoshi" types, and focus on changing how we think about ourselves.
The only reason I mentioned Satoshi is because that drama recently happened and this reminded me of a survey on "Effortless Perfection" I did in college about the females on my campus. There is so much effed up stuff going on in other communities that we may not even know about because they "keep it in the family." When you are constantly open with it, as black people are, it makes you vulnerable and an easy target for attack. Then, the constant attacks affect you even more. It's a very dangerous merry-go-round. At first I didn't even care about the article about black women, until someone pointed out what things like this can do to our youth and perpetuate the negative feelings already there. How are we supposed to work through ourselves when we constantly have "others" jumping in, beating us back down?
....and we'll have to agree to disagree. There is nothing noble about keeping sickness "in the family". Plus, our issue with colorism has never been a secret, so it doesn't even apply in this situation. That's why I don't understand where you're coming from. Satoshi didn't start this thing. The documentary hasn't even been released yet.

IMO, this is a case of majoring in the minors...misplaced concern. Nobody gets "breathing room" to work out their issues. That's the nature of war. If you're under attack, then you better either shoot back, or/and dodge the bullets.
__________________
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Ninjarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #53
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,321
Default

^^We will have to agree to disagree, that's fine. I honestly don't think you understood what I am getting at - no, Satoshi didn't start this (his article is a SMALL example that I said I only mentioned because it recently happened), yes, our issues with colorism have been known for years (yet we continue to place high emphasis on it, to the point of ad nauseum, with no solutions), and this documentary is not the first instance of "reporting on colorism" I have seen, and I'm sure it will not be the last.

Anyway, I'm out. When there are some solutions, come get me. Otherwise, everyone can keep on crying in the corner and I'll be out living my life. I should have never commented in this thread in the first place, so I'm leaving.
__________________
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:58 AM   #54
 
hippychic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,670
Default

i can't wait to see this documentary! i heard the clip on the radio, haven't seen the vid. i remember when the spike lee movie came out (school daze) and people were all up in arms about it (wannabes and jiggaboos). it certainly got people talking, just like the chris rock docu-movie.
__________________
LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
hippychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:13 PM   #55
 
Ninjarette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbabyy View Post
I agree with what was said about the mirror. The tolerance of skin tone is really based on households! Some people grew up in households where they were taught people shouldn't be judged based on their skin tone....SOME PEOPLE WEREN'T! Like the lady said when her friend said thank goodness her child didn't come out dark...where did she learn that from? is it something she formed on her own or something she grew up? Yes, people know our weakness so what?? WE ARE THE ONES DOING IT TO OURSELVES!!! People may look at this video and say "look how they treat THEIR OWN PEOPLE!" Its a DAMN shame. Sorry, I would rather have everybody know about what we do to our own people, than try to act like its not a big deal...like everybody in the black community already knows and does nothing about it.

Of course it doesn't happen to just Black people...but that's what we are focusing on right now. The Indians can make a video about how girls with lighter eyes are more favored than those with dark eyes. This movie is about US! Fixing US! Showing US! LOOK AT YOURSELF! We need to broadcast it...BECAUSE NO ONE IS DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT!!

And lets not forget, we don't know if this movie intends to provide a solution, how to end it...this clip was only a PREVIEW. There is more to the story so it does seemed biased until we see the whole movie. But I refuse to say that this is something we need to keep to ourselves. The "i'm dark, I'm light, I was bullied" sob story is a sad story...BECAUSE THERE WAS NOTHING YOU CAN DO ABOUT BEING DARK OR LIGHT AND THESE OTHER KIDS BULLYING YOU ABOUT SOMETHING YOU COULD DO NOTHING ABOUT, HURTS! If it didn't happen to you, then okay. But damn, just because you don't know, don't mean you can't empathize!
That's right...again. People tend to think their life experiences are the life experiences of others.

If the video is a painful reminder of our slave-like thinking, then I should see a societal swing that indicates black people are fed up with colorism and all that comes with. I ain't seen it yet, so...

Fix yourself. That's the challenge to all of us. There will always be those who will oppose you. It's not going to be easy. Don't focus on, "Well...other folks are broke down too!" So? What does that have to do with us? Why make that even an issue? Wrong is wrong. If you're wrong, worry about that. Let the others who are also wrong worry about themselves.
__________________
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Ninjarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:27 PM   #56
 
chameleonrose's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 48
Default

i'm sorry yall, but my opinion still stands; this is nothing new and definitly nothing to be screaming for joy about. if the movie provides solutions than that's taking us one step closer to eradicating these issues. if doesnt than one more documentary we can add to the endless list of documentaries and college papers highlighting the subject. I'm out!
chameleonrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:29 PM   #57
 
Ninjarette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3,963
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleonrose View Post
i'm sorry yall, but my opinion still stands; this is nothing new and definitly nothing to be screaming for joy about. if the movie provides solutions than that's taking us one step closer to eradicating these issues. if doesnt than one more documentary we can add to the endless list of documentaries and college papers highlighting the subject. I'm out!
Sorry for what? We disagree...no biggie. Be you.
__________________
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Ninjarette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 PM   #58
 
tbabyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 567
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEA View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by chameleonrose View Post
i'm sorry yall, but my opinion still stands; this is nothing new and definitly nothing to be screaming for joy about. if the movie provides solutions than that's taking us one step closer to eradicating these issues. if doesnt than one more documentary we can add to the endless list of documentaries and college papers highlighting the subject. I'm out!
Sorry for what? We disagree...no biggie. Be you.
+1 nbd...i don't mind your opinion
__________________


LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY!
tbabyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 12:48 PM   #59
 
HipsterSoul's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1,003
Default

Black people need help, we're like the most beautiful people on the planet but the only people who fail to realize this.

Quit complaining and airing out dirty laundry, grow some confidence then "other" people won't find you as an easy target for attack.

"Other" dark skinned women go through the same thing, so you're issue isn't unique to the world.
HipsterSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:28 PM   #60
 
tbabyy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 567
Default

I really don't think it is that simple, since this stuff starts at a very young age. In the preview, these people are speaking about their childhood and how they felt at one point in time...this MAY NOT be how they feel right now. The whole "get over it" thing is possibly impossible to do at a young age, if that makes sense. Depending on the person, it may be hard to deal with as an adult. Just like a person who was teased for having glasses or braces, may have confidence issues as an adult. Some people are sensitive and some people have thick skin. So getting over it, maybe harder for one person than it is for another.
__________________


LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY!
tbabyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com