Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 4

Old 05-26-2011, 07:25 PM   #1

Default OT: Dark Girls Documentary Preview

Dark Girls: Preview on Vimeo

So sad to see the hatred between skin TONES

Originally posted on FB by Natural Chica

Being a dark skinned girl, I do understand what these girls went through. With the teasing, I wanted to be lighter. I didn't want my kids to be dark skinned, not because it was ugly but because I didn't want them to go through what I went through. But knowing what I know now, that only made me stronger, made me love me more. Doing the BC, helped me realize I was beautiful; dark skin, twa, yet still beautiful =D

LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY!

Last edited by tbabyy; 05-26-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:33 PM   #2

Join Date: Oct 2009

That preview is powerful...and very sad. I cried. I wish we would get it together, with this thing. I don't know though...we've been dealing with this for so long. Slavery is over, and we have yet to overcome.

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #3

I know. It's sad thing. Something as simple as light or dark. SMDH

Old 05-26-2011, 08:15 PM   #4

Join Date: Jun 2009

I'll be honest. I couldn't get past the first 40 seconds. I think that pieces like this set us up to be attacked by people like Satoshi, because we are so candid with exposing our insecurities. Not trying to spark a debate/discussion, that's just how I feel. I won't watch it. And I know that people already know about our insecurities, but we are constantly reminding society of how "downtrodden" we are.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

Last edited by EllyEllyOxenFree; 05-26-2011 at 08:56 PM.
EllyEllyOxenFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:20 PM   #5

I know. It's sad thing. Something as simple as light or dark. SMDH
Right? It's so twisted.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:24 PM   #6

afrosheenqueen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2000

I agree. So powerful. It's so sad the way treat each other.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
afrosheenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:35 PM   #7

Originally Posted by afrosheenqueen View Post
I agree. So powerful. It's so sad the way treat each other.
That's why when I hear another black person ATTEMPT to get stupid, with this "shade" fixation, they get shut down. I don't allow them to make dumb declarations around my child relatives, either.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:37 PM   #8

luvmylocs's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 1999

in some ways i feel it needs to be exposed so that those that have these views can figure out why they do, like the guy who in the vid who said a dark skin girl doesn't look right with him, he wants a light skinned girl with long hair. maybe when people see that they'll see how stupid it sounds and consider changing. maybe when people see "dark" girls crying on the video they will really think about the hurt some people feel all because of something like skin tone.

i do want to add that i thought about this and extremely pale white people probably also struggle although i don't know if it's to the same extreme but some of them are willing to tan even though it's hazardous to your health. so acceptance of people regardless of skin tone isn't completely a black thing.

i can't wait to see the documentary.
a dreamy pisces
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural
luvmylocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:39 PM   #9

Join Date: May 2010

Yes, I know. and I think its good that this is being brought to people's attention. How people feel, how it's not something people can just "get over". One comment I saw on the original post was "this movie seems melodramatic. If you have high self esteem and you keep up your appearances these stupid remarks about darker people wouldn't affect you, imo"-- Yes, you can do this once you are an adult. But these people weren't light as a child then when they got older they magically became dark...they were dark as a child too and having a high self-esteem as a child....is it really that simple?

Edit to add:

(Girlfriends episode: Dark Vs Light issue starts about 3:00)

LITTLE JOEY HAS A SIBLING ON THE WAY!

Last edited by tbabyy; 05-26-2011 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-26-2011, 08:45 PM   #10

Originally Posted by tbabyy View Post
Yes...and let me say this: EVERYBODY already knows our "secrets". There is no "exposure" that didn't start long before this video. This is nothing new...it's been going on for ages.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #11

afrosheenqueen's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2000

What touched me particularly:

I remember as a child (5-6?) trying to rub the black off of my knees in the bathtub. No one in my family talked about light vs. dark but I just *knew* it was not better to be dark. I hope (to the point of seeming a little off) to tell my future children how much they are worth as they were made.

But then I saw the one segment with the woman talking about how much her mother had praised her looks (lips, cheekbones) but added that one caveat of "If she had been born a few shades lighter, think how much prettier she would have been." Wow.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

SL APL BSL MBL
afrosheenqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:48 PM   #12

Originally Posted by tbabyy View Post
Oh yea of course! But I think the docu shows the tears, the realness behind it all...hopefully HOPEFULLY people will see how it REALLY affects us.

Old 05-26-2011, 08:53 PM   #13

luvmylocs's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 1999

Originally Posted by afrosheenqueen View Post
that's when it cuts, when the disapproval comes from your own mother. which i might add was different from that lady said that if she had a daughter she didn't want her to be dark. i felt she was saying she didn't want her to be dark because she KNOWS the pain associated with being a dark woman not because she wouldn't love her.
a dreamy pisces
please recycle, it matters...
i change lives...through fitness
i'm more relaxed being natural
luvmylocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:06 PM   #14

CocoT's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2009

I never had an complex/issue with colorism growing up or even now, but it really touches my heart when I see things like this. It also frustrates me. In the clip one of the women said that white people compliment her beauty and her skin but it's sad that her own people don't see the beauty in her . I think documentaries like this need to keep coming forth and getting people's attention. We shouldn't be silent and complacent when it comes to social issues within our own community for fear that other groups will perceive us negatively. That's not a way to progress. And if they're gonna perceive us negatively, which in a lot of ways they do already, they don't need a documentary to do it.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
CocoT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:10 PM   #15

Originally Posted by CocoT View Post
+100 you said it!!!

Old 05-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #16

Originally Posted by luvmylocs View Post
Originally Posted by afrosheenqueen View Post
Moms can be a mess...and it's interesting that often they totally miss how their declarations wound their children...deeply. Can folks be that...dumb? If your own momma ain't in your corner...

Why would you wanna mess up your kid's head to the point where they may NEVER get over it, or they spend a lifetime in therapy/counseling, prayer request lines, demon-casting-out services, etc. Then, they have children...and it all starts up again. Did you see the ages of the women in the video? One is older than I am, and none of them looked like "kids".

If I had a "colorist" momma/daddy, I would read them the riot act: "I love you, but if you try to hurt my children, I will protect them..even if that means they can't come around you. So, watch what you say around them."

Old 05-26-2011, 09:45 PM   #17

Originally Posted by luvmylocs View Post
Originally Posted by afrosheenqueen View Post

I couldn't even imagine! My mom's mom is dark and my mom's dad is light. It is just the opposite with my dad's parents. So I guess I was lucky to grow up with neither side being biased to another.

The girl who talked about scrubbing her face to get the "dark" off...I used to do that. It's just sad.

Old 05-26-2011, 10:06 PM   #18

Join Date: Dec 2008

Originally Posted by NEA View Post
+1. It reminds me of something that was said in front of me a couple of weeks ago. I picked my daughter and her friend up from school. They were gossiping about another friend and the boy that she likes. The friend in the car said, "He is so ugly. I don't know why she likes him. He is like skinneded (her word) and is supposed to be prettier than everybody else." I tried to give her the benefit of the doubt, I thought that I misunderstood her. I asked her to repeat herself. Yep. I heard correctly. My daughter and I looked at her like:

What are we teaching our children? I have two daughters; one is light and the other is brown. They have different textures of hair. I taught them that they are both beautiful and unique, inside and out.
___________________________
BC 11/23/2008
Low porosity, Fine/Medium Texture, S-Curls

Co-wash: VO5 Tea Therapy
Rinse Out: Garnier Sleek 'n Shine (subject to change)
Styler: Long Aid Curl Activator

Dislikes: Proteins (except occasional Silk protein), Cones, Oils
teejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:17 PM   #19

itsKelCeeEee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Send a message via AIM to itsKelCeeEee Send a message via Skype™ to itsKelCeeEee

I never understood all the skin tone hate. I used to lay in the sun for HOURS to try and get a dark skin tone! Now that I'm older I know that as black people we're all supposed to appreciate the features that we're born with, because unless you have the money to shell out for multiple surgeries/bleaching agents, that's what you're gonna have. No one should have to feel ashamed of how they look, and it's a damn shame that black people still feel the need to have classification systems built on skin tones.

I think I've said it before, but it's been discovered that Africans (or African Americans, I can't remember which) have a total of 33 different possible skin tones. I don't understand how of all those possibilities, a good twenty five-thirty of them are seen as horrible and people are so hung up on light skin. We as a race really need to get it together, because it's not white people making us feel this way or anyone else. It's our own people. And it's sad when your enemies are those who you'd think would be your biggest allies.

I am so tired. I hope I made any sort of sense.

Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
itsKelCeeEee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:49 PM   #20

greenandchic's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009

Originally Posted by NEA View Post
I cried too. Slavery is over, but the 'tudes are still with us. My dad grew up as a sharecropper (aka moder day slave) and he went though some of the same crap in the 20th century as our forefathers did 150+ years ago. Its going to take a long time this ends unfortunately.

Edit to add:

YouTube - ‪Girlfriends Hippy Marcus1‬‏

(Girlfriends episode: Dark Vs Light issue starts about 3:00)

Amen!

What touched me particularly:

I did the same thing when I was a kid in the bath tub. Its amazing how universal this is. I had the long hair I just needed my skin to comply.

Originally Posted by CocoT View Post