Questions For Elle About Hair..HELP!

Hi Elle,

I decided to make a thread because someone lurking may want to know too. I'm having some issues with my hair..yes.. I know Marah has a problem with her hair..

Okay.. I just started about 2 months (?) actually trying to use "real" products instead of the cond+oil only method I've done for eons. So I'm hooked on Shea Moisture currently. I just do The Smoothie+FOTE or the Curl Milk +FOTE. Let air dry and my normal other stuff..2x week shampoo, co-wash daily, let air dry, or diffuse.

My hair looks okay when I first do it but since I've been using Shea Moisture and the weather has gotten hotter and more humid...IDK something seems off. Like my hair seems drier and more prone to frizz after several hours..which just doesn't happen to my hair because of how I care for it. So I'm at a loss.

Here are my questions: How the heck can I get second day hair with these products ? I just haven't been able to acheive it and I'd like to try.

Can you show on your blog (that I love BTW) how you do a wash n go with your longer hair ? Like a really detailed one and show us the end result when it's dry as well. Because now that I'm trying to use products..I'd like to see how you do yours..cause everyone on YT sucks. Well not everyone..but most. And with your blog and videos I can understand clearly what you are saying about products and so forth..unlike a lot of YTers I've watched.

Are Curl Junkie products really worth the money if someone already has staples ? And with my hair properties (long, med-coarse, porous, dense, dye with Natural Instincts 1x month) which would you suggest I try ?

As a side note: My hair responds very well to sealing with oil. I stopped using the oil (can you believe it.. LOL) because of the Shea Moisture. I thought that would be over kill. Do you think that's the problem why I'm getting frizz and poof all of a sudden in conjunction with the weather ?

HHHHHHHHHHHHELP PLEASE! And I'm serious as cancer..cause you know I don't play when it comes to my hair. I don't feel right when I can't get my full Diana Ross on...
Oh Lawd.. that was long. *Sigh* Bekkapoo done told my monkey ass about the long posts.. well just read the bold then please Elle.
Funny you say your post is long but I need more deets!!!

What is your dew point?

How are you sleeping on your hair?

Are you touching it a lot?

Are you getting the frizz with the Smoothie, Milk, or both?

Have you tried another gel besides AV gel?

Now...your questions -

1. Second day hair: IMO, second day hair is all about the hold you have the first day + how you sleep on your hair at night. I cannot stretch my hair too much or it loses shape, which is why I stopped pineappling at this length. It's too short to do one loose pineapple, but too long to do several pineapples like I did before because I would mess up my part. I LOVE my Sue Maesta hood. It smushes my hair a bit, but not as much as pantyhose, and it's smushed in its shape, rather than getting smushed all over the place like it would wearing a bonnet or possibly sleeping with it out.

Ex. Nighttime Routine & Refreshing My Wash and Go for Natural Hair Quest for the Perfect Curl

2. Wash and Go: Okay...lol, I have to laugh at you. I'm sorry! People ask me to do another wng video allll the time (well they did until I made it a FAQ) and I tell them no because I still section my hair, shake, and go. I'm looking into updating my regi though because my hair sits on my shoulders wet now, and I have to kind of lollygag around my place for a little (when I say a little, I mean like...two hours lol) with a bandeau on before I can get dressed so I don't get my clothes wet. If I'm in a hurry I have to diffuse it. I just got one of those Hand Dry Towels that you're supposed to use AFTER you apply products, so if that works I'm going to use that to get drippies out (I super hope it works).

Depending on what I'm using, my sections vary from 6-18 sections. Initially, I was doing a LOT of sections because I was scared that my hair would tangle if I did less, but I've been doing 6-8 and it's been great, which makes me think that my tangles were more from washing my hair altogether rather than applying my products in less sections. The current wng regi has pics of my dry hair and second day hair. Tutorial: Wash and Go (Sectioning) – UPDATE! Quest for the Perfect Curl Let me know if you have more questions but I really think this one goes over the process thoroughly. Doing thick hair like ours in sections also helps get second day hair because you aren't missing spots that can frizz out. For awhile I was only doing two sections and basically missing the entire underlayer of my hair. Like, if you lifted my hair up there was NO product on it.

3. Curl Junkie: If you already have staples, I say no. I love Curl Junkie to death, but not everyone loves it, and not all of the products have worked for me. I like trying out new things, but if you already have stuff you love that won't potentially damage your hair (like Shea Moisture and AV gel, both of which are some of my staples), I say you're fine.

However, for your hair, you might want to try the Curl Queen, especially if the AV gel isn't giving you enough hold. The Beauticurls LI also has butters/oils, which your porous hair should like. I love the Smoothing Lotion, but if you are having issues with frizz you might need to stay away from glycerin laden products. The Rehab doesn't have glycerin and it might go well with the AV gel...buuuut it is very moisturizing so your hair might get poofy. I usually save this as a LI when my gel is a bit drying (like with Eco Styler).

The fact that you aren't oil sealing probably isn't what is causing you frizz - both of the SM products you mentioned have MORE than enough oil. However, the Smoothie has glycerin, which might contribute to the frizz and the Milk (at least for me) is pretty moisturizing, so that + AV gel (humectant) + humid weather could be making your hair too soft. Have you tried using just oil with your AV gel? I've done that before with a butter or oil and had great results.

I think I just beat you in terms of long posts.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I'm not Elle sorry but I will say those Shea Moisture products did the same thing to my hair. The same thing. I was frizzy and dry. I bought Curl Junkie products because of Elle's reviews and I swear my hair looks the best it ever has. I owe her cookies because my situation is on point moisture like you wouldn't believe.

The products I am using are the Repair Me, Hibiscus and Banana deep fix, the Cleansing conditioner and the Curl Rehab in strawberry ice cream. I do believe they are worth the price because the products are THICK. I have a heavy hand and am shocked that I have barely put a dent into these jars. HTH
Tae i want cookies!
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
I've been using mostly SM for months and it was great until two weeks ago when I started having mad problems with dryness. Cowashes, dc, moisturizers. Nothing seemed to help. It felt greasy and not moisturized. Finally I did what I usually do when I'm usually at the end of my rope, I clarified. It made a world a difference. It's like my hair said "thank you for letting me breath again." I mistakenly thought when I cut out all cones that I didn't have to do the whole clarifying thing but I was wrong. I think especially with me being fine and low porosity that all the oils in SM tend to cause buildup over time and prevent proper hair moisturization. I used the SM purification mask and that's great. I'm also going to leave the gel alone this month and see how that does.
Wooooow, my hair seems more dry with the Shea Moisture products during this hotter weather as well! Lol. I can't afford Curl Junkie though, or most other off the ground products.

Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
I've been using mostly SM for months and it was great until two weeks ago when I started having mad problems with dryness. Cowashes, dc, moisturizers. Nothing seemed to help. It felt greasy and not moisturized. Finally I did what I usually do when I'm usually at the end of my rope, I clarified. It made a world a difference. It's like my hair said "thank you for letting me breath again." I mistakenly thought when I cut out all cones that I didn't have to do the whole clarifying thing but I was wrong. I think especially with me being fine and low porosity that all the oils in SM tend to cause buildup over time and prevent proper hair moisturization. I used the SM purification mask and that's great. I'm also going to leave the gel alone this month and see how that does.
Originally Posted by adthomas
I feel dumb asking this since I've been natural long enough to know, but is a sulfate shampoo a clarifier like a clarifying shampoo? Or is that something completely different? Either way I can use my Kinky-Curly Come Clean, I'm just curious. The sulfate shampoo I have actually leaves my hair feeling less stripped than the KCCC.

I think I'll try clarifying tonight though, and then start from square one.

Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
Funny you say your post is long but I need more deets!!!

What is your dew point?
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree
75

How are you sleeping on your hair?
I've been using that LocSoc..but um.. welll..um.. my husband..he...well let's just say it err comes off during the night.

Are you touching it a lot?
Yes, my whole family touches my hair constantly.

Are you getting the frizz with the Smoothie, Milk, or both?
The Smoothie mainly.

Have you tried another gel besides AV gel?
Yes, I tried La Bella Lots of Curls with it. My hair had hold but felt dry.

Have you tried using just oil with your AV gel? I've done that before with a butter or oil and had great results.
Actually yes.. and I love that look... but I call myself trying to be more like yall and use some darn products. ROFL! But I've always been nervous because I have my method (condit+oil+sometimes the gel). And nothing more which has always worked out so well for me. But hearing and seeing what others (including here on NC) have been saying about product this and product that.. I figured stop being so adamant and give it a try.

I think I just beat you in terms of long posts.
Yeah..I don't mind. I love to read and the more details the better for me. But I understand now not everyone is like me so my posts need to be much much shorter from now on.


Thank you for the links and the info ELLE. I'm going to watch them ASAP.
I'm not Elle sorry but I will say those Shea Moisture products did the same thing to my hair. The same thing. I was frizzy and dry. I bought Curl Junkie products because of Elle's reviews and I swear my hair looks the best it ever has. I owe her cookies because my situation is on point moisture like you wouldn't believe.

The products I am using are the Repair Me, Hibiscus and Banana deep fix, the Cleansing conditioner and the Curl Rehab in strawberry ice cream. I do believe they are worth the price because the products are THICK. I have a heavy hand and am shocked that I have barely put a dent into these jars. HTH
Originally Posted by tae082
Oh wow.. Tae..you too! So what kind of hair do you have.. meaning is it fine, thick, what porosity, density ? Cause if our hair is similiar maybe that's why SM is having a field day with us.. ROFL!

All I know is at first SM was doing me good..then all of a sudden..it got hot..and DDDDDDDDDAYUM. Instead of Diana Ross I was more like Jerry Curl from Hollywood Shuffle when his stuff got dddddddddry and I wilted! Child, I was confessing that I killed Cookie Head Jenkins and I wasn't even round there!

Don't know what I mean.. watch this.. for real.
YouTube - ‪Gimme my Activator, Man‬‏

SMDH.
I've been using mostly SM for months and it was great until two weeks ago when I started having mad problems with dryness. Cowashes, dc, moisturizers. Nothing seemed to help. It felt greasy and not moisturized. Finally I did what I usually do when I'm usually at the end of my rope, I clarified. It made a world a difference. It's like my hair said "thank you for letting me breath again." I mistakenly thought when I cut out all cones that I didn't have to do the whole clarifying thing but I was wrong. I think especially with me being fine and low porosity that all the oils in SM tend to cause buildup over time and prevent proper hair moisturization. I used the SM purification mask and that's great. I'm also going to leave the gel alone this month and see how that does.
Originally Posted by adthomas

I do shampoo 2x per week and I co-wash daily. But perhaps I need to actually clarify my hair. Because I do notice when I co-wash and I've used SM..I can just tell the SM is still there on my hair. So maybe it's product build up ...
Oh wow.. Tae..you too! So what kind of hair do you have.. meaning is it fine, thick, what porosity, density ? Cause if our hair is similiar maybe that's why SM is having a field day with us.. ROFL!

All I know is at first SM was doing me good..then all of a sudden..it got hot..and DDDDDDDDDAYUM. Instead of Diana Ross I was more like Jerry Curl from Hollywood Shuffle when his stuff got dddddddddry and I wilted! Child, I was confessing that I killed Cookie Head Jenkins and I wasn't even round there!

Don't know what I mean.. watch this.. for real.
YouTube - ‪Gimme my Activator, Man‬‏

SMDH.
Originally Posted by Marah Mizrahi
You are funny lol and so was that video clip. As for my hair it is fine, low density and as far as porosity I believe it is normal but I'm not 100% sure it could be high. I tried using the hair milk first and then the smoothie and my hair was just not liking that stuff at all. The only shea moisture product I can use is the original leave in.
Tae i want cookies!
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree
I'll send you cookies in the fall when they won't melt in the heat.
Marah...if the oil + conditioner was working for you, I personally would NOT change it....i don't care how much folks was raving about products. I WISH that sort of routine would work for me...
Wanna talk products? Come Join us here!
http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ

Extremely thick, kinky curls/coils that have a mind of thier own!!!!
_____________________________
I like my men and my hair....KINKY!!!!
_____________________________
Wanna save $10 off your next purchase at vitacost.com? Use my referal code (click the link)!



Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
Marah...if the oil + conditioner was working for you, I personally would NOT change it....i don't care how much folks was raving about products. I WISH that sort of routine would work for me...
Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown
Ain't dat da troof.

Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
Funny you say your post is long but I need more deets!!!

What is your dew point?
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree
75

IMO, with a dew that high, the less products, the better. That's SO much moisture in the air. I agree with NCC, if condish + oil works for you, do it! If you wanna dabble in products, get new conditioner! I am a conditioner junkie over everything else.

How are you sleeping on your hair?
I've been using that LocSoc..but um.. welll..um.. my husband..he...well let's just say it err comes off during the night.

LOL. Can't help you there.

Yes, my whole family touches my hair constantly.

Also going to hinder second day hair. But it's you fam, so if you like it, doing your hair daily is probably worth it.

The Smoothie mainly.

That has glycerin, I wouldn't use it in a dew of 75.

Yes, I tried La Bella Lots of Curls with it. My hair had hold but felt dry.

I've never used that gel but I know in a high dew a gel like LA Looks will make my hair feel terrible! Just...terrible!

Have you tried using just oil with your AV gel? I've done that before with a butter or oil and had great results.
Actually yes.. and I love that look... but I call myself trying to be more like yall and use some darn products. ROFL! But I've always been nervous because I have my method (condit+oil+sometimes the gel). And nothing more which has always worked out so well for me. But hearing and seeing what others (including here on NC) have been saying about product this and product that.. I figured stop being so adamant and give it a try.

Like I said, you can always buy new oils too.

I think I just beat you in terms of long posts.
Yeah..I don't mind. I love to read and the more details the better for me. But I understand now not everyone is like me so my posts need to be much much shorter from now on.


Thank you for the links and the info ELLE. I'm going to watch them ASAP.
Originally Posted by Marah Mizrahi
Welcome!
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Tae i want cookies!
Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree
I'll send you cookies in the fall when they won't melt in the heat.
Originally Posted by tae082
Nom!!!

Have you ever heard of My Grandma's of New England (or something like that) Coffee Cake? My mom told me it was so good, but I told her I wasn't gonna buy the whole cake from the store and eat the entire thing, so she sent me four slices in the mail - it was soooo good. I love my mommy.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
Marah...if the oil + conditioner was working for you, I personally would NOT change it....i don't care how much folks was raving about products. I WISH that sort of routine would work for me...
Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown
+10000

Although, I've been being really simple with my hair lately and I'm kind of feeling it. For the past few days all I've done daily is rinse my scalp, deep condition and rinse it out and put oil or pomade on my hair. I've mainly been doing it because I've been lazy and after the Enso disaster I grew to be annoyed with my hair. But my hair is responding nicely to it.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
Lawd, lemme find out that Elle needs her own spot like curlynikki.

Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
Marah...if the oil + conditioner was working for you, I personally would NOT change it....i don't care how much folks was raving about products. I WISH that sort of routine would work for me...
Originally Posted by Nappy_curly_crown
Ditto! Though my hair does like leave-in and oils/butters for the most part. I joined that PJ thread and realized I really don't have an issue. I may experiment with one or two new products a season (especially big holiday sales), but I cant think of anything new that most of my existing products don't already do. Winter is my hardest months because of the low dew points and all...

I'm not having issues with SM products yet because spring hasn't showed up yet. Time will tell...
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun

Last edited by greenandchic; 06-01-2011 at 10:53 PM.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:20 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com