CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   4 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/)
-   -   Going to Natural Resources Salon (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/129493-going-natural-resources-salon.html)

MrsBachemin 07-10-2011 12:25 PM

Going to Natural Resources Salon
 
I have not found a reliable stylist in the last year, so I'm finally trying out Natural Resources Salon in Houston, TX. It's time for somebody else to work on this head for a while! I'm also in need of a good protective style and a trim, so I'm going to get two strand twists with my natural hair. The stylist says they can last for up to 4 weeks, and for the price they'd better! I'll definitely come back and post about my experience. In the meantime, if you have ever been to this salon please tell me about it. My appointment is Wednesday, so I still have time to cancel! Lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

sugartwist 07-10-2011 12:57 PM

It's a great salon you will love it. Tamika is my stylist. I've been going since I began my transition in 2005. Although, I haven't been since they opened up at the new location. There is never a wait time meaning the time you are scheduled is the time you enter their chair.

no1curlydiva 07-10-2011 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBachemin (Post 1713787)
I have not found a reliable stylist in the last year, so I'm finally trying out Natural Resources Salon in Houston, TX. It's time for somebody else to work on this head for a while! I'm also in need of a good protective style and a trim, so I'm going to get two strand twists with my natural hair. The stylist says they can last for up to 4 weeks, and for the price they'd better! I'll definitely come back and post about my experience. In the meantime, if you have ever been to this salon please tell me about it. My appointment is Wednesday, so I still have time to cancel! Lol

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

Well I will be watching this thread and I have been wanting to have my hair professionally twisted. For me it was a toss up between this place and Zayd's. I actually made an appointment at Zayd's but backed out. Good Luck to you.

yrh11 07-10-2011 01:40 PM

I posted a review in another thread. I cannot remember where. Anyway, I have been to Natural Resources several times. I went about a month ago and got a trim and a twist out. Barbara is my stylist but Tamika has done my hair in the past. My hair was cut after it was blowed dry. Low heat was used to blow dry my hair. I prefer to have my hair trimmed on blown hair since I do straighten my hair from time to time. I love the service I receive. I may have Tamika weave up my hair once I saved up enough money. Tamika does nice lock stitch weaves but it is pricy. You will enjoy your experience.

Forgot to mention that the twists in my profile pic were done at Natural Resources.

MrsBachemin 07-13-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh11 (Post 1713831)
I posted a review in another thread. I cannot remember where. Anyway, I have been to Natural Resources several times. I went about a month ago and got a trim and a twist out. Barbara is my stylist but Tamika has done my hair in the past. My hair was cut after it was blowed dry. Low heat was used to blow dry my hair. I prefer to have my hair trimmed on blown hair since I do straighten my hair from time to time. I love the service I receive. I may have Tamika weave up my hair once I saved up enough money. Tamika does nice lock stitch weaves but it is pricy. You will enjoy your experience.

Forgot to mention that the twists in my profile pic were done at Natural Resources.


Barbara is going to do my hair today and yours looks great, so you've definitely helped to calm my jitters! Thanks! I'm excited to go now and my appt is at 10 so I'll definitely be posting a review and a pic later.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

MrsBachemin 07-13-2011 04:12 PM

Ok, so my appointment with Barbara was great and my twists are beautiful! Barbara was very knowledgeable and talked me through the whole process. First she sprayed my hair with a detangler called Nourish (their brand) and she combed my hair out and put it in chunky twists. Then she shampooed it twice, while still in twists (I can't remember the name of the shampoo, but it was also their brand). She conditioned it and took the twists out, using her fingers to make sure my hair was still detangled. She rinsed out the conditioner, wrapped my head in a towel, and we went back to her station. She used Monoi Milk (their brand) to blow dry my hair in sections, then she applied an oil (I can't remember the name) to blow through it again. She said it was to seal in moisture and acted as a hot oil treatment at the same time. She trimmed my hair and started twisting away. I love that she continuously showed me what she was doing (before she trimmed, after she trimmed, and when she first started twisting (to make sure the twists were the size I wanted)). She told me that because my trim was fresh that some of my ends might start to come apart, but I could just twist them back and they should stay. She also told me what to do to maintain my twists over the next 3-4 weeks, although I had to ask, and she suggested some products for me to use for my hair. Barbara was so nice and funny and patient! I felt bad because my appointment took longer than expected and she hadn't stopped to eat, but she kept reassuring me that it was ok; this really made me feel like she only cared about my satisfaction. If you are thinking of going to Natural Resources, don't just think about it, do it!

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

MrsBachemin 07-13-2011 05:42 PM

I forgot to mention that there was no wait (although the poor woman after me had to wait because my appointment ran over) and I paid a total of $110, $75 for the wash, etc., and style and $35 for the additional hour it took her to detangle my hair. Which leads me to something else I forgot to say in my earlier post. When I got there my hair was damp because I ran water on it in the sower before I left. I didn't put anything else in it because I didn't know if I should. She told me that I should never just wet it with water and go because it makes my hair draw up and it's harder to detangle. She also told me that my hair was resistant to being combed out (she paused before she said the word "resistant" and I later found out that it was because she was searching for a word that wouldn't come across in a negative way). I asked what would make it resitant and she said because I only wear it curly and had never trimmed my ends (the last time scissors touched my hair was when I bc'ed last July). Basically, I've trained my hair to be curly so it resists being straightened! She said that if I continue to twist it, it will get easier to comb through. I've read many blogs whre peple say that it's not necessary to trim your ends as long as they're healthy, but Barbara said you should trim every 3 months. And this leads me to my next thread......

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

yrh11 07-13-2011 07:06 PM

I knew you would have a good experience. I forgot to tell you to detangle first before your appointment. I have to trim my hair ever so often or my hair will knot up! I have used several of their products with good results.

MrsBachemin 07-15-2011 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh11 (Post 1716953)
I knew you would have a good experience. I forgot to tell you to detangle first before your appointment. I have to trim my hair ever so often or my hair will knot up! I have used several of their products with good results.

Well, I definitely know to detangle now! How do you maintain your twists? I'm worried about them getting fuzzy even though I'm sleeping in a scarf and bonnet. Also, does your scalp get itchy?



Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

luvmylocs 07-15-2011 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrsBachemin (Post 1718227)
Quote:

Originally Posted by yrh11 (Post 1716953)
I knew you would have a good experience. I forgot to tell you to detangle first before your appointment. I have to trim my hair ever so often or my hair will knot up! I have used several of their products with good results.

Well, I definitely know to detangle now! How do you maintain your twists? I'm worried about them getting fuzzy even though I'm sleeping in a scarf and bonnet. Also, does your scalp get itchy?

they have that grapefruit spray for your scalp. i like that a lot to refresh my scalp after the gym when i don't want to wash yet. it might help with your itchies.

i like the nourish and monoi hair milk to use at home.

MrsBachemin 07-15-2011 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvmylocs (Post 1718303)
they have that grapefruit spray for your scalp. i like that a lot to refresh my scalp after the gym when i don't want to wash yet. it might help with your itchies.

i like the nourish and monoi hair milk to use at home.


Thanks, I may go back and get the grapefruit spray because my scalp usually gets itchy after about 3 days, but I'm supposed to make these twists last for 3-4 weeks! The stylist told me to rub some coconut oil on my scalp if it starts to itch, but I'm worried about build up so I don't know if I should do that. She also said that I could get some shine spray to keep them moisturized over the next few weeks.

I'm planning to get the twists redone (assuming they last for as long as they're supposed to last), so I'm not going to buy the other products yet, but I'm definitely thinking about it for after the twists.

Sent from my SPH-D700 using CurlTalk App

DBOO75115 07-15-2011 07:49 PM

I love Natural Resources!!! They do all of my trims and I went there to get my hair done for my thesis defense and graduation. It's a real cool atmosphere, they do great work, and I have never had to wait. I'm glad to hear you love them too!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:27 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com