PRoduct Review: Terressentials Organic Pure Earth Hair Wash

I saw in naptural85's video she said that the lavendar was the only one she liked so I'm assuming she tried the others. I went by their guide to choose the flavors I decided to buy

For thick or wavy or coarse, or salt and pepper gray hair: Lavender Garden, Sultry Spice, Left Coast Lemon, Cool Mint
For fine, straight or thin hair: Fragrance-free, Sultry Spice, Cool Mint.
For naturally curly, kinky, frizzy or very thick hair: Left Coast Lemon, Lavender Garden, Sultry Spice, Cool Mint
For Dry Hair: Lavender Garden, Left Coast Lemon
For Oily Hair: Fragrance-free, Cool Mint, Sultry Spice
For chemically-treated hair: Lavender Garden, Left Coast Lemon or Sultry Spice
For very damaged hair (hair that has had more than one chemical treatment): Left Coast Lemon or Lavender Garden
I think all of them would work out for me based on that criteria. I still want to try them all out though to see which one is best. But so far I love the cool mint

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
I just saw naptural85's hair wash video last night and it was right on point for me because I've been considering using clays to wash my hair instead of shampoo. I want to get the wash now but my Oyin poo bar just came in & I am really trying not to buy more products until I run out of current staples. However, I bet that poo bar won't last that long so I will be ordering this next month. Seems like a lot of people like the lavender but I like the tingly feeling alot so I might go with the mint? Do you think the mint will work for dry hair?
BC 5/17/2010, 3C/4A Porous hair, Current staples: Garnier conditioners, Coconut & Grapesead Oil, Ecostler gel, Shea Butter mix, Elasta QP mango butter, Loreal sulfate free shampoo, Aphogee protein treatment, Henna & Ayurvedic Herb Treatments

Last edited by Curly Chic; 08-06-2011 at 05:14 PM.
I'm curious, and this is slightly off topic...
This mud wash shouldn't be used on color treated hair, since after the detox period it'll essentially accentuate the damage that the dye inflicted.

Some of you have stated that the wash is essentially bentonite clay...
I was planning on using bentonite clay in the near future. Should I expect it to behave like the mud wash would? What are the results like on color treated hair?
Originally Posted by Trudii
Here's what I read about colored hair.
1. "The instructions on the label say that your hair wash is not recommended for chemically treated hair, but your website says I can use it. Please clarify."

Our bottle labels say that our Pure Earth Hair Wash is not recommended for chemically-treated hair because its use by people with damaged hair requires some special instruction. In a retail store other than ours, there isn't always someone in a store available to educate customers on the subject. (It is NOT because the mud will strip your color -our mud will not affect the color of your hair, natural or otherwise.) We would rather not have people purchase the product than purchase it and attempt to use it without proper guidance and feel dissatisfied.

Chemical hair treatments permanently alter the outer layer of the hair shaft creating a porous cuticle - under a microscope chemically treated hair looks like Swiss cheese. Once hair is damaged by chemical colorings, perms or straightening chemicals, people are sold a myriad of synthetic products that artificially coat the hair with plastic or protein polymers to make it look and feel undamaged. The more damaged the hair, the more porous it becomes; the more porous the hair, the more it absorbs these synthetic "protein" polymers (e.g. soy, wheat or oat proteins - that are NOT edible foods), plastic polymers such as PVP (petrochemical polyvinyl pyrrolidone) and gum coating agents. These are the substances the "mud" removes in the detox protocol, but the detox process takes time.

Sometimes when people begin using the Hair Wash, their hair may feel stiff, sticky, oily, heavy or dry. This feeling may persist until the residues of protein and plastic polymers have been completely removed, but if you're patient, the end result is worth the wait! After using our "mud" for one to three weeks, most people love it and find it a joy to use. As new hair grows in to replace old damaged hair, you'll probably be amazed at the difference. For some folks with very chemically damaged hair, they may not like the way their hair feels after the detox, because our Pure Earth Hair Wash contains none of the vinyl or protein plastic polymers to coat their hair to make it feel or look undamaged

The bottom line: If you have chemically treated your hair, you should plan to use the Pure Earth Hair Wash for three to four weeks in order to completely detox the hair and remove polymer buildup. If you intend to continue using chemical treatments for your hair, you will probably not be happy with the look of your hair when it is cleaned with the clay cleanser and finally free from the synthetic plastic coating agents. Chemically damaged hair without plastic coating agents may appear to look darker because the hair is roughened and will not be shiny and reflect light. Damaged hair can also look straw-like and feel rough to the touch. Damaged hair tends to tangle much more easily and is weakened because of the chemical's erosion to the cuticle leaving it more susceptible to breakage.
So I think people can still use it but you should adhere to the detox protocol. I don't think I need to go through the formalitites of the detox because I don't use products that contain synthetic substances. I will just use it as needed

-Albert Einstein
Thanks, but unfortunately, I use products chock full of synthetics (shame on me :P) so it weirded me out a bit when I read that on their website. I just don't want to use a product that leaves me with tattered ends for the world to see once the detox is completed.
You have me so hyped about this CocoT!

I was worried about the chemically treated part but I don't use much synthetic plastic except for the odd a-cone once in a while. I don't need so much smoothing that oil can't fix it. I had no idea some proteins were synthetic! Luckily they're only found in my Joico K-Pak liter I think. I'll be taking it back since I haven't used it and I've got other protein boosting conditioners on hand without that junk.
4a/b Texlaxed hair w/ highlights. Medium texture & high porosity.

HG's: CJ Daily Fix, Bobeam Cheris Hibiscus shampoo bar, KC Spiral Spritz, Knot Today, CJ Rehab, KBB LL Hair Mask, Cassia, KCCC, oil blend of Avocado, Camellia, Jojoba, & Meadowfoam oils

SL APL BSL MBL
You have me so hyped about this CocoT!

Originally Posted by afrosheenqueen
Yay! lol I don't think I've ever been this hype about a shampoo before. My hair still feels awesome and looks effin amazing. My hair got wet in the shower today so all I did was put in a little bit of curl rehab and sealed with a little bit of castor oil. It's as if my products are absorbing better. It usually takes a bit to work it in but my hair soaked up the conditioner and the oil like *that*. I'm so tempted to do a wash n go

-Albert Einstein
I have colored hair and I still use it with no ill effects.

Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
BC: June 16th 2010
TYPE: 4a/b; color treated, nml-high porosity; fine w/ med density
Product Connoisseur

OMG my hair wets when water touches it!
www.youtube.com/user/lolakinkz
www.facebook.com/AshleyLolaKinkz

I have been using the lavender for over a month now-inspired by Naptural85, of course! I love this stuff, however, I have been experiencing dry scalp! I really want to continue using it because I like being more natural, and it saves money in the long run. But if I can't figure out a solution for this dry scalp I don't know if I can continue.

I have tried ACV rinses and oiling my scalp with coconut oil. And still no balance! I went back to using regular products, but my hair doesn't look or feel as nice with regular conditioner anymore . So, I just switched to jojoba oil for my scalp this week. I hope this works because I really love the results I get with Terressentials.

4a

OILS-Scalp prewash: coconut oil/tea tree/lavender blend
Sealant(s): Coconut/Shea/Argan/Castor/Olive blend

Staple Styler: KCCC!!!

Originally Posted by windycitycurl
Do you think the terressentials shampoo is causing your dry scalp or have you always had issues with dry scalp? Did you try any of the other flavors? Maybe another one would work better for both scalp and hair. Today I used the lemon one and although my scalp felt nice and clean, my ends were a little dry but with the cool mint my hair was buttery soft from root to tip. So far, the cool mint is #WINNING.

I've always had scalp issues but I finally got a handle on them recently and I attribute it to keeping my scalp clean regularly. The deity plant poo was really helpful but it has a tendency to leave my hair stripped. Pre poo'ing, which I do religiously now with honey and olive oil, counteracted it a bit but not as much as I need. This terressentials is really nice and leaves my scalp just as clean and fresh but also leaves my hair very moisturized.

Oiling the scalp may relieve the dryness but in my experience, keeping products off of my scalp and keeping it clean (using good shampoo's) are what helps the most. And drinking more water. Occassionally I'll use sapote oil after I wash but I don't really need to be oiling my scalp. My scalp just wants to be clean and free and responds better to that. Plus, that sapote oil is like liquid gold and works wonders on my skin so...ya.lol

-Albert Einstein
yup which is why i didnt buy it, ive been using bentonite clay for 3 years and my hair always feeling amazing after

not knocking teressentials at all but i buy my clay in bulk and my hair is straight up the bomb.com

APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun

Originally Posted by greenandchic
Denimpixie on youtube did a review on this a while ago. She thinks it may just be scare tactics they use to get you to buy their other products. Some of my products have synthetics, mainly my conditioners, but I don't use heavy cones and the like. I haven't used my bottle yet, I'll get to it eventually. Anyway, check out the video.
‪Go Organic or Die! (Okay not really) - Terressentials Pure Earth Hair Wash & "Natural Hair"‬‏ - YouTube
Whoop whoop!
GIFSoup
Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick

Originally Posted by greenandchic
Originally Posted by moosegrl_86
I forgot about this video - thanks!
APL BSL MBL WL HL TBL | porous, fine/medium strands, medium density
My Fotki!
Below: Typical PS bun
Whoaaa shipping is 8.50 for 1 bottle. That's against the rules.

vIa mY cURl TaLk ApP
ebonyrose31626 and *Muffin* like this.
**sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.

@PlatinumPJ
^ to ship to NJ its $8.75 lol

What kind of box are they sending it in? Can I wet the box down and use it in place of conditioner?
moodydove, ida2 and ebonyrose31626 like this.
@shawny - I will say, the Hair Wash is totally different from any bentonite clay treatment I have ever done. It seems as if more of the product is AV juice rather than the clay, so it does have a nice slip and is easier to wash out. However, if I really tried, I could probably dupe it, but my clay mixes are in bowls so that would be way too goopy to apply like that and I'm too lazy to transfer it to a bottle.

I actually really like the product, BUT I can buy it on the ground, and I certainly wouldn't order it from their company. I really do think they are FOS with their marketing - heck, they even say you shouldn't use cetearyl/cetyl/stearyl alcohols. What? They say that you shouldn't use e. wax, but beeswax is okay. They keep talking about all this stuff causing buildup, but seem to be okay with using shea butter mixes from their line, and any person with half a brain knows that shea butter can certainly contribute to buildup, as well as other natural butters. I also find it hilarious that they talk about getting rid of "oily buildup" when many "flavors" of the Wash contain essential oils.

All that being said, I like the Cool Mint and Sultry Spice, the Lavender is a bit funky on my hair. Kbai
itsKelCeeEee likes this.
BC'ed: 26 Dec 09
YouTube

Grand Duchess Fierce Freckles, Mistress of the Mighty Snap and Doyenne of the Potent Products Pavane in the Order of the Curly Crusaders
$8.50 for shipping? That marks it off my list for future buys.
^ to ship to NJ its $8.75 lol

Originally Posted by shawnyblazes
The box they ship it in is about the size of a standard cereal box, a sturdy cardboard box with biodegradable packing peanuts.
Whoop whoop!
GIFSoup
Last relaxer: December 20, 2008
4a/b, medium-fine, normal porosity & elasticity, thick

Originally Posted by EllyEllyOxenFree
I agree with the bolded. I have a feeling I'm gonna like the sultry spice too. I love the mint

And with all bs aside, the wash works and I'm gonna keep using it. I don't know why it works or why it makes my hair feel like buttery soft luscious luxuriousness, but I don't really care because it just does.lol

Just got my shipping notice for my order I should get it by wednesday or thursday

Originally Posted by windycitycurl

Originally Posted by CocoT
@ COCOT: THANK YOU, COCOT! I am definitely going to try your suggestions. No, I have never had dry scalp issues, and that is why I was so surprised to get such amazing results with my hair, but then my scalp was jacked! I never had to oil my scalp, but I decided to start to see if it would help.

My Old regimen$$$$$:
pre treat with Oyin Honey-Hemp condish
Once a month shampoo with Tresemme deep cleansing
detangle/ co-wash with HEHH
deep condition with CJCR
Henna once every 6 months
LI's: CJBC's(CJCA-this moisturized way better than BC's), JCWDT
Seal: JBCO
Style: KCCC

Now:
Mud Wash once a week to 7 days
might deep condition, might use a leave-in
coconut oil mix (coconut oil, shea butter, olive, jojoba and castor oils, and essential oils of jasmine, rosemary, and grapefruit)
ACV rinse (I have tried this before and after mud wash just to see if it makes a difference-it may as far as ph, my hair is more puffy when I pre-ACV, but that's the only diff).
Might use KCCC (love this stuff, but only after fresh wash-I wear my hair in WnG for one day then I twist. Also, the KCCC tends to bead up now, which it didn't with my old regimen, but that is not a big deal.)

Anyway, I will take your advice, and my next order I am going to get some samples. One of them has to work for me because I love my hair when I use it!! How often do you mud wash?

Side-Bar: I have been practicing massage for the past 6 years, and essential oils only build-up when they have a carrier oil base. Pure essential oils are absorbed or evaporate that is why they are so expensive.
4a
Water/Aloe Vera Juice/Oil blend-Moisturizing Spritz

OILS-Scalp prewash: coconut oil/tea tree/lavender blend
Sealant(s): Coconut/Shea/Argan/Castor/Olive blend

Staple Styler: KCCC!!!
Are there any stores that carry it? I really don't see myself spending $8 to ship 1 thing :-/