3D Curl Pattern - The missing Link?

Like Tree272Likes

Banned
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 143
I see a lot of 4a's on here labeling themselves as 3s.

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.

Last edited by curlylaru; 10-05-2011 at 10:05 PM.
@ adthomas *DEAD* @ 4a point 5. *DEAD*
I see a lot of 4a's on here labeling themselves as 3s.

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.
Originally Posted by curlylaru
I don't have a problem if people like to type their hair; that's fine and dandy and by all means, do you. I just don't like those who use the hair typing system to try and put down those who don't have the "ideal" texture, because it happens more than not. 4a's also aren't the only ones who don't like to type, and not all 4a's have any qualms with typing. And I hope I don't sound mean because I'm tired and don't always word things in the best way. Haha.

I don't feel like the system (I feel like we're talking about the government or something) suits me at all. Every image I've seen of different hair types never seems anything similar to mine. But I know it DOES help a lot of people, so I'm not trying to condemn it. I just condemn the negative mindset it puts some people in when they start on their good hurr bad hurr mess, ya know?
Testimony777 likes this.

Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 143
Those good hair / bad hair terms aren't in my vocabulary and I don't give that stuff a second thought. Anyone that uses those terms or believes that nonsense is in my opinion self hating and pathetic. What kind of person would label the hair most common in their own race as bad or associate it with being something negative?

That silliness aside differentiating hair types is very beneficial in finding hair styles, products and techniques for me and many others.

Last edited by curlylaru; 10-05-2011 at 10:46 PM.
my 2 cents:

- LOL/smh
- it's interesting how the only people i see who label their hair "3d" are people i consider to be some kind of type 4. for that reason, i'm inclined to side eye to anybody who seriously considers their hair type to be 3d. IMO, it's another symptom of "good" hair/"bad" hair syndrome.
- with that being said perception is reality (thank you courtney from most eligible dallas for that gem). i've seen plenty of people in the 3c/4a/4b forums label their hair differently from what i would. hell, after 8 yrs of being natural and 7 yrs on this board, i start to question whether or not i'm a 3c. i say i'm a 3c so i'm a 3c.
-...but then i realize, what difference does it make? the products i use, the styles i do (or don't do), how much my hair is similar or different to someone else's, etc won't change if i decide to label my hair 3d or 4a. and that's exactly why i think the "i need to know my hair type to ensure the quality of my routine theory is a bunch of silliness.
- at the end of the day, if calling yourself 3d makes you feel better then go with it. a rose by any other name, is still a rose.
I see a lot of 4a's on here labeling themselves as 3s.

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.
Originally Posted by curlylaru
Hmmm...well I'm at 4a/4b, and I take issue, because people seem to think Andre Walker's system is fool-proof. I've seen folks with kinks like mine, and we can't use the same products. I've seen folks who definitely fit in the "type 3" and below use products that work well for my hair.

That's the point that those who rely on hair typing don't seem to get. There are other factors that weigh in on whether or not a product will work for you.
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture

Last edited by Ninjarette; 10-06-2011 at 08:51 AM.
Y is there negativity surrounding the 3D issue? It was merely a question or thought to ponder for those that could identify with being between 3c & 4a. I don't think that it is showing an indifference to good or bad hair. A lot of ppl cant/dont fit into the various patterns that are in place. Let's be positive and uplift one another to beautiful hair etc., regardless of the type. All types are good to me. We are here to support one another, not condemn and hinder. I hope I didn't offend any1 by identifying with being considered 3D. That wasn't my intention, I don't think it was the authors intention either. I had pics posted, but removed them bc I didn't c any other pics posted. The pics I posted were at 2 months. A month ago ppl said my pics showed 3c hair, now ppl said these were 4a. Idk what I have bc my hair had chemicals for 30 yrs. I just assumed that I must fall somewhere in the middle....either way, I'm happy with my decision to go natural & I love how my hair changes as it grows and the type has never been a real issue. Hope this helps you understand my point of view...


Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
shainala likes this.
Y is there negativity surrounding the 3D issue? It was merely a question or thought to ponder for those that could identify with being between 3c & 4a. I don't think that it is showing an indifference to good or bad hair. A lot of ppl cant/dont fit into the various patterns that are in place. Let's be positive and uplift one another to beautiful hair etc., regardless of the type. All types are good to me. We are here to support one another, not condemn and hinder. I hope I didn't offend any1 by identifying with being considered 3D. That wasn't my intention, I don't think it was the authors intention either. I had pics posted, but removed them bc I didn't c any other pics posted. The pics I posted were at 2 months. A month ago ppl said my pics showed 3c hair, now ppl said these were 4a. Idk what I have bc my hair had chemicals for 30 yrs. I just assumed that I must fall somewhere in the middle....either way, I'm happy with my decision to go natural & I love how my hair changes as it grows and the type has never been a real issue. Hope this helps you understand my point of view...


Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Mskeisha99
Where's the "condemnation"? You feel "condemned"?
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
Whats the difference between 3c and 4a hair? The size of the curl?

If there would be a new category what is the difference between the 3c and the 3d?
Whats the difference between 3c and 4a hair? The size of the curl?

That would be my guess.

If there would be a new category what is the difference between the 3c and the 3d?
Originally Posted by Cerendipity
Curl size?

IDK, hair typing seems kinda irrelevant to/for me. If someone asks for our opinion on here I'll sometimes say what I think their curl type is. But it really doesn't matter to me. I've known since I was young that some products I can use in my hair but others I can't. It's all trial and error. Typing really isn't important to me. We're all curly, right? Why does the curl size matter?

On my EVO
I see a lot of 4a's on here labeling themselves as 3s.

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.
Originally Posted by curlylaru
Hmmm...well I'm at 4a/4b, and I take issue, because people seem to think Andre Walker's system is fool-proof. I've seen folks with kinks like mine, and we can't use the same products. I've seen folks who definitely fit in the "type 3" and below use products that work well for my hair.

That's the point that those who rely on hair typing don't seem to get. There are other factors that weigh in on whether or not a product will work for you.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
Who is Andre Walker?



Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
I see a lot of 4a's on here labeling themselves as 3s.

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.
Originally Posted by curlylaru
Hmmm...well I'm at 4a/4b, and I take issue, because people seem to think Andre Walker's system is fool-proof. I've seen folks with kinks like mine, and we can't use the same products. I've seen folks who definitely fit in the "type 3" and below use products that work well for my hair.

That's the point that those who rely on hair typing don't seem to get. There are other factors that weigh in on whether or not a product will work for you.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
Who is Andre Walker?



Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Mskeisha99
Oprah's hair stylist, who invented the 1-2-3-4 hairtyping system.
last relaxer 08/08/09
all natural since 7/30/10


Shrinkage happens.
[QUOTE=curlylaru;1781689]I see a lot of 4a's on here labeling themselves as 3s.

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.

I would not be considered a 4 and I personally don't like the hair typing system.

On my EVO
prissymiss likes this.
O. Ok...Thx. How long has this "system" been around?


Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App

Last edited by Mskeisha99; 10-06-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 143
Whats the difference between 3c and 4a hair? The size of the curl?

If there would be a new category what is the difference between the 3c and the 3d?
Originally Posted by Cerendipity
There is definately a difference imo. For instance my hair look absolutely nothing like yours and as such would definately respond to hair styles, techniques and products differently.

I honestly feel like people with 4 type hair are the main ones who have a problem with people differentiating hair types because they want to pretend all hair is the same in order to diffuse the fact that their hair type is kinky in texture.

Is there anything wrong with kinky or type 4 hair? Of course not. Do a lot of people believe there is something wrong with it? Unfortunately based on what I've been seeing around these boards, I think so.

I haven't said much about it before but it's honestly pathetic imo. It just reads I hate my black self to me.
prissymiss likes this.

Last edited by curlylaru; 10-06-2011 at 09:48 AM.
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 143
[QUOTE=Kilajo;1781869]
I see a lot of 4a's on here labeling themselves as 3s.

I also see a lot of 4a's on here who appear to take issue with people who like to use the hair typing system. I like the system it helps me identify people with curls like mine and it has been a huge help with helping me find products that work.

I used to call my hair biracial hair which as we all know varies widely, now there is a label for hair that looks like mine that helps me target info and research for hair that resembles mine. It has been super beneficial.

I would not be considered a 4 and I personally don't like the hair typing system.

On my EVO
Originally Posted by curlylaru
Are you sure? Looks like 4 type hair in that pic.
O. Ok...Thx. How long has this "system" been around?


Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Mskeisha99
To be honest...I'm not sure. He wrote a book in the late 90s, maybe it was around that time?

As for the 3d hair-typing category, well, I understand where the OP is trying to go with it. It's good to have people to identify with. I knew that those who identified as "4b" or "4c" were bound to have super-kinky hair like me. (Now the number doesn't matter so much; I can tell if your hair is kinky or not just by looking at it. Lol.)

However, it sounds weird to me. When I read the title, I was like, isn't all hair 3d? I'm pretty sure it's not 2-dimensional.
greenandchic likes this.
last relaxer 08/08/09
all natural since 7/30/10


Shrinkage happens.
Lol
I'm only 2months natural so I'm still learning & consider myself very new to all this. Like I said b4, I've had chemicals for 30 yrs. But, I feel like I've been delivered!
O. Ok...Thx. How long has this "system" been around?


Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
Originally Posted by Mskeisha99
To be honest...I'm not sure. He wrote a book in the late 90s, maybe it was around that time?

As for the 3d hair-typing category, well, I understand where the OP is trying to go with it. It's good to have people to identify with. I knew that those who identified as "4b" or "4c" were bound to have super-kinky hair like me. (Now the number doesn't matter so much; I can tell if your hair is kinky or not just by looking at it. Lol.)

However, it sounds weird to me. When I read the title, I was like, isn't all hair 3d? I'm pretty sure it's not 2-dimensional.
Originally Posted by forbee


Sent from my PC36100 using CurlTalk App
Whats the difference between 3c and 4a hair? The size of the curl?

If there would be a new category what is the difference between the 3c and the 3d?
Originally Posted by Cerendipity
There is definately a difference imo. For instance my hair look absolutely nothing like yours and as such would definately respond to hair styles, techniques and products differently.

I honestly feel like people with 4 type hair are the main ones who have a problem with people differentiating hair types because they want to pretend all hair is the same in order to diffuse the fact that their hair type is kinky in texture.

Is there anything wrong with kinky or type 4 hair? Of course not. Do a lot of people believe there is something wrong with it? Unfortunately based on what I've been seeing around these boards, I think so.

I haven't said much about it before but it's honestly pathetic imo. It just reads I hate my black self to me.
Originally Posted by curlylaru

I have to disagree with the bolded. My hair looking nothing like yours means nothing because We might have the same porosity and density issues,

I use products by ingredients not hair type. I use products geared for straight, kinky , coarse ,dense, white, black , indian... etc

With product, moisture, and the of health of my hair can look like a 3c and on a bad day this so called 4c

what it all boils down for me is the health of my hair not some type classification that some man come up with who doesnt even know how to style kinky hair other than straightening it or slapping a relaxer on it.
CocoT, LolaKinkz and CurlyElectra like this.
Banned
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 143
Whats the difference between 3c and 4a hair? The size of the curl?

If there would be a new category what is the difference between the 3c and the 3d?
Originally Posted by Cerendipity
There is definately a difference imo. For instance my hair look absolutely nothing like yours and as such would definately respond to hair styles, techniques and products differently.

I honestly feel like people with 4 type hair are the main ones who have a problem with people differentiating hair types because they want to pretend all hair is the same in order to diffuse the fact that their hair type is kinky in texture.

Is there anything wrong with kinky or type 4 hair? Of course not. Do a lot of people believe there is something wrong with it? Unfortunately based on what I've been seeing around these boards, I think so.

I haven't said much about it before but it's honestly pathetic imo. It just reads I hate my black self to me.
Originally Posted by curlylaru

I have to disagree with the bolded. My hair looking nothing like yours means nothing because We might have the same porosity and density issues,

I use products by ingredients not hair type. I use products geared for straight, kinky , coarse ,dense, white, black , indian... etc

With product, moisture, and the of health of my hair can look like a 3c and on a bad day this so called 4c

what it all boils down for me is the health of my hair not some type classification that some man come up with who doesnt even know how to style kinky hair other than straightening it or slapping a relaxer on it.
Originally Posted by Cerendipity
I disagree. You hair appears to be lovely, thick and healthy and wihtout a doubt type 4 hair. On any day your hair would not look like 3c hair.

I simply disagree and stand by what I said earlier. I respect the people especially those with type 4s who own their hair with no apology or denial.

That's simply how I feel.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com