Is Big Chopping Against The Bible?

Like Tree155Likes

Agreed. We all do not believe in the "same" God. Heck, even among CHRISTIANS, there's disagreement as to who "Jesus" actually is/was. I never get the "we all worship the same God" perspective, either.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
I notice it's a rare Christian that compehends we don't NEED to have the "same" god to tolerate one another and have peace between us.

I think Christianity can stand on it's own without having any ties to Judaism whatsoever.
So where did Christianity come from, since Jesus himself was a Jew? (This question doesn't apply to Jews since you don't believe in Jesus.) Well, I guess Jews don't believe in the same God, but I've had Muslims tell me that Christians and Muslims have the same God, and I've had full blown conversations with Muslim friends and Jewish friends.

Last edited by favoritecolorblu; 11-18-2011 at 12:13 PM.
Agreed. We all do not believe in the "same" God. Heck, even among CHRISTIANS, there's disagreement as to who "Jesus" actually is/was. I never get the "we all worship the same God" perspective, either.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
I notice it's a rare Christian that compehends we don't NEED to have the "same" god to tolerate one another and have peace between us.

I think Christianity can stand on it's own without having any ties to Judaism whatsoever.
Originally Posted by *Marah*
I don't NEED to have the same God to tolerate anyone. I tolerate everyone who tolerates me. So if you're disrepectful, mean or just a negative person in general, then I'm not going to tolerate you.
So where did Christianity come from, since Jesus himself was a Jew? (This question doesn't apply to Jews since you don't believe in Jesus.) Well, I guess Jews don't believe in the same God, but I've had Muslims tell me that Christians and Muslims have the same God, and I've had full blown conversations with Muslim friends and Jewish friends.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
Wait a minute.. you are a Christian and you don't know where your religion came from ??? You can't be serious..can you ?

It is said that Jesus was a Jew..opinions vary on if he was indeed a Jew, whether he actually existed, or if he was based on a pagan god that early Christians created because they were former pagans.

I personally believe that if Jesus did exist then he was Jewish. What I don't believe is that he is a god, a man-god, or that he started any religion called Christianity. If he even thought for one second he was a god..then he wasn't Jewish.

Christianity is a religion that uses him as a central figure and most important figure head to the faith. But, if anything mainstream Christianity bases it's foundation more on things that Paul taught (well the misunderstanding and misrepresentation of what he taught) rather than Jesus' teachings. You ask a Christian for "scripture" to substantiate their claims..they almost always jump to Paul, not to Jesus' teachings or Jesus' Jewishness.

And having conversations with Muslims and Jewish friends (get 2 Jews in a room you got 3 opinions) doesn't really mean anything when it comes right down to it. Cause opinions vary.

Last edited by *Marah*; 11-18-2011 at 12:33 PM.
I don't NEED to have the same God to tolerate anyone. I tolerate everyone who tolerates me. So if you're disrepectful, mean or just a negative person in general, then I'm not going to tolerate you.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
Okay.. well good then. We don't have the same beliefs about god. And I definitely tolerate you. Nothing you've said to me comes off disrespectful, mean, or like you are a negative person in general. Of course, this is just the net though so all I have to base that on is what you've said here. And well in this conversation, in my opinion, you've been pretty darn civil considering religion is a sticky subject and I usually don't mince words when it comes to Christianity.

It's just a discussion..doesn't have to turn ugly and we don't have to let it. So it's cool.
So where did Christianity come from, since Jesus himself was a Jew? (This question doesn't apply to Jews since you don't believe in Jesus.) Well, I guess Jews don't believe in the same God, but I've had Muslims tell me that Christians and Muslims have the same God, and I've had full blown conversations with Muslim friends and Jewish friends.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
And another thing.. how are you going to just avoid inclusion of Jews in the convo when you ask if Jesus was a Jew. And since I'm the current resident Jew in the convo..that doesn't seem very fair. LOL!

And why do we (or anyone for that matter) HAVE to believe in Jesus to have some say. Some Jews believe he existed..some Jews believe he was a Jew. It's just not a "tentant" (for a serious lack of a better word) in our religion to acknowledge him as anything.

Furthermore, there is no "tenant" in Islam that holds Jesus us a god either. So one could argue that Muslims do not have the same god as Christians. And with all the anti-Muslim rhetoric that goes on in the USA..I've heard SEVERAL times among Christians that Muslims don't have the same god..cause "Allah" isn't the Christian god. Surely, you've heard that, nu ?
keenylicious likes this.
I was responding to another poster. We must have been typing at the same time because I didn't see your post until after I was done.
I'm Christian and I've sat in on Sunday school and worship services with Muslims and Jews. All they talked about was David and Abraham yadayadayada. Same old stuff as in church. And the Muslims also talked about Jesus although as a prophet and not devine. If we worship/love/fear the same God, I don't understand why that's not enough to bring us together instead of focusing on the differences that keep us fighting, bickering and killing each other for centuries.
Do any of these three religions have stellar track record when it comes to women's equality? I don't think so.
Originally Posted by adthomas
I was just trying to give kudos to your point with my post is all. I guess I didn't back you up as well as I thought.

I do have to ask though..um WHAT "worship service" in a synagogue you sat in on where they just discussed David and Abraham..and yada..yada like they do in a church ? Because we (Jews) have a prescribed method of service outline.

A Jewish service is NOTHING like a Christian one..at all. So I'd love to know which synagogues you were in where all they did was talk about David and Abraham..and who is "they" ? The rabbi, the chazzan, the gabbai ? Cause it's not a free for all in synagogue on Shabbat or any other holy day...just about any Jew can go to any synagogue on a Shabbat and pick up because we do pretty much the same stuff..unless it's a non-mainstream synagogue thats non affliated. And many rabbis today usually discuss current events in their sermons because it's important to Jews to stay aware of what's current. We aren't a stagnat people...never have been.

Unless what you really mean is you sat in on a Torah Study which isn't the same as service on Shabbat or holy days. Now yada yada about David and Abraham make sense there..but not in service.

To many Jews..um no we don't have the same "god". But for the sake of tolerance and going along to get along..many Jews don't say that to Christians. Furthermore, there was never any religious unity between us so why should we be in bed with Christians just cause they claim the same god ? Even the NT says that Jesus says plenty of folks will calling on him and making claims about all the wonderful works they did in his name only to have him say, " I know you not, depart from me ..you workers of lawlessness!" So saying you down and being down are two different things. No offense but that means something to Jews.

In Judaism women have alway been seen as equal but having separate roles. Our version of equal just doesn't fit snuggly into the Western idea of hyper-feminism though. But in Judaism..women run the home, they call all the shots with sex, and are considered to have a higher degree of intelligence than men, and could own, sell, keep land, and have say in marriage..all this before many women could in Western civilizations. And none of those are "new" concepts in Judaism. So I'd say yeah.. Judaism..the fundamentals of our religion has a stellaro record on equality for Jewish women.

I know I'm about to catch hell for that.. LOL!
Originally Posted by *Marah*
That why i wrote sunday school/worship service.i have been to islamic worship were women sit in the back and ive been to their sunday school. I have been jewish sunday school but not worship. It was an open small group discussion about the importance of recognizing the sabbath and there was actually different ideas about how strict it should be. I cant see how Christianity and islam can stand on their own when we all go back to Adam and eve. I dont feel a religion that has ever been tolerant of plural marriage can claim a stellar women's rights record unless it allowed women to do the same. I know in the reformed sect has female rabbis but does orthodox? I know jewish people who are very religious but love christmas and put up a tree and give out presents. I dont sense a mere toleration but a sincere mutual respect. Every hanukkah i get invited to the party to eat the tasty potato pancake by the way when katrina hit people off all faiths and atheist came to help. When the jewa here lost their house of worship a church let them use their space for a year while they rebuilt. Ive heard all the big 3 talk about the importance of compassion.
been to the buddhist and hindi services too. Didnt understand much of it but the food after was great.

Last edited by adthomas; 11-18-2011 at 01:16 PM.
If BC is wrong, so is relaxing your hair. Bet they wouldn't wanna talk about that.

Jen


Sent LIVE from my JPhone using CurlTalk App

http://AfroCurls.wordpress.com
FroZen
Marah
I strongly agree with you. The Era and time in which that quote was stated for...were for the Pagan's which did not have any high morals.
Many people are confused by the quotes in the Bible and do use them for their own twisted beliefs, and for ways to control others because of the lifestyle in which they are living. Many pp believe if they continously sin that God will continously forgive them, if they just ask for forgiveness, but that is not true. I would not worry about the opinion of your associate. He's just looking for any justification to support his opinion, but it does not apply in your situation. Besides, the quote in the Bible was not meant for all women (literally), it was meant as an example of propriety for that society.
So where did Christianity come from, since Jesus himself was a Jew? (This question doesn't apply to Jews since you don't believe in Jesus.) Well, I guess Jews don't believe in the same God, but I've had Muslims tell me that Christians and Muslims have the same God, and I've had full blown conversations with Muslim friends and Jewish friends.
Originally Posted by favoritecolorblu
And another thing.. how are you going to just avoid inclusion of Jews in the convo when you ask if Jesus was a Jew. And since I'm the current resident Jew in the convo..that doesn't seem very fair. LOL!

And why do we (or anyone for that matter) HAVE to believe in Jesus to have some say. Some Jews believe he existed..some Jews believe he was a Jew. It's just not a "tentant" (for a serious lack of a better word) in our religion to acknowledge him as anything.

Furthermore, there is no "tenant" in Islam that holds Jesus us a god either. So one could argue that Muslims do not have the same god as Christians. And with all the anti-Muslim rhetoric that goes on in the USA..I've heard SEVERAL times among Christians that Muslims don't have the same god..cause "Allah" isn't the Christian god. Surely, you've heard that, nu ?
Originally Posted by *Marah*
True, but if you're going to discuss what the bible teaches on a subject, then you should be familiar with the bible and what it teaches, to some degree. If that statement offend folks (not you), then they'll just have to be offended. That comes with the territory.

Belief in Jesus and what the bible teaches about a subject are two different animals. That's just like if somebody says, "What does Buddhism teach about the afterlife"? I think it's good to know something about Buddhism and the teachings...if you plan to answer the question, vs. "give an opinion".

Also, as stated earlier (way early in the thread), my original intent was to try help keep the convo on track, because these discussions always go way out in left field.

But, that's just me.
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture
I grew up in a church that doesn't allow wearing pants, makeup, jewelry (aside from wedding rings and watches), and I was kicked out of the choir--TWICE--for cutting my hair. I read the King James Version, which states "But if a woman have long hair, it is a glory to her: for [her] hair is given her for a covering." It is A glory, not THE glory. So I said to heck with it, and cut my hair. And wore makeup. And pants. And got called a heathen (no joke, the assistant pastor's sister called me a heathen that had backslid and prayed God would welcome me back into his graces again), by people who now do the EXACT SAME THING. Suffice it to say I got the K.I.M. stage a loooooooonnnggggg time ago.
shainala likes this.
That why i wrote sunday school/worship service.i have been to islamic worship were women sit in the back and ive been to their sunday school. I have been jewish sunday school but not worship. It was an open small group discussion about the importance of recognizing the sabbath and there was actually different ideas about how strict it should be. I cant see how Christianity and islam cant stand on their own when we all go back to Adam and eve. I dont feel a religion that has ever been tolerant of plural marriage can claim a stellar women's rights record unless it allowed women to do the same. I know in the reformed sect has female rabbis but does orthodox? I know jewish people who are very religious but love christmas and put up a tree and give out presents. I dont sense a mere toleration but a sincere mutual respect. Every hanukkah i get invited to the party to eat the tasty potato pancake
been to the buddhist and hindi services too. Didnt understand much of it but the food after was great.
Originally Posted by adthomas
I'd like to point out that Judaism itself doesn't promote plural marriage. Men made a CHOICE about taking more than one wife. And because of that it had to be regulated among Israel because of certain rules about women..and so in the Tanakh it's regulated. There were very specific rules about that (which many men broke) but one of which was if you did take more than one wife you had to treat them equally. They had to all have the same standard of living. But what men did and didn't allow women to do in ancient times has no bearing on what "God" gave to the Jewish people.

In Rabbinical Judaism which all mainstream Judaism outcrops from.. taking more than one wife is not encouraged..and Ashkenazi Jewry actually made sure it was banned altogther. It was more difficult for that to accure among Sephardis because a lot of them lived in lands where the custom was fine to have more than one wife such as in certain areas of the Middle East.

But there is nothing in the Tanakh (or in the Christian Old Testament) where "God" says he wants men to have more than one wife. Men like to do stuff all the time without God involved. Hence why we are having this discussion in the first place about what Paul meant in 1 Corinthians.

Women can be rabbis in the Conservative, Reform, and Reconstructionist forms of Judaism. Orthodoxy is doesn't allow it not because women aren't considered equal but because of tradition basically it was passed to Moses (a man) to another man..blah blah. Orthodoxy is very rigid when it comes to traditions. But the fight is still on there and many Orthodox women and men haven't given up to change it.

I'm a Conservative Jew by the way and my family and I attend an Egalitarian synagogue.

And when you say you know Jews that are "very religious" I don't know what you mean because if they were practicing Judaism properly..there would be no Christmas Tree in their homes..I assure you. So I raise my brow at that..not that you are lying. I know some Jews myself that get ansy around Christmas and either try to combine Christmans and Chanukah or just do Christmas on the sly. LOL! But these are NOT practicing..synagogue going Jews. They are usually secular Jews or what we call Rosh Hashanah/Yom Kippur Jews..meaning they show up to synagogue on those holy days only. You know like Christians that only come to church Easter Sunday..frontin' . LOL!

I have no doubt you've been invited to many Chanukah parties. Chanukah is not a significant holy day though. It's not even found in the Hebrew Scriptures. And ohhh.. latkes (the potato pancakes) are sooo good!

Wow.. you've checked out Buddists and Hindi's too. You do know that you are mega cool, right ?
Marah
I strongly agree with you. The Era and time in which that quote was stated for...were for the Pagan's which did not have any high morals.
Many people are confused by the quotes in the Bible and do use them for their own twisted beliefs, and for ways to control others because of the lifestyle in which they are living. Many pp believe if they continously sin that God will continously forgive them, if they just ask for forgiveness, but that is not true. I would not worry about the opinion of your associate. He's just looking for any justification to support his opinion, but it does not apply in your situation. Besides, the quote in the Bible was not meant for all women (literally), it was meant as an example of propriety for that society.
Originally Posted by Sexychocolate
Nevermind.. I CANNOT READ. Lawd. I'm sorry. SMDH. Gettin so happy to leap.. and ain't even read properly.

Nia done already said around here before.. "Take heed if any man think he stand lest he fall.."

My butt done fell.

*Hangs head in shame*

Last edited by *Marah*; 11-18-2011 at 01:55 PM.

True, but if you're going to discuss what the bible teaches on a subject, then you should be familiar with the bible and what it teaches, to some degree. If that statement offend folks (not you), then they'll just have to be offended. That comes with the territory.

Belief in Jesus and what the bible teaches about a subject are two different animals. That's just like if somebody says, "What does Buddhism teach about the afterlife"? I think it's good to know something about Buddhism and the teachings...if you plan to answer the question, vs. "give an opinion".

Also, as stated earlier (way early in the thread), my original intent was to try help keep the convo on track, because these discussions always go way out in left field.

But, that's just me.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
I agree. I've run into so many that want to discuss but don't have a basic working knowledge of the text or their own religious beliefs supported by the Bible but still claiming.. "Christianity" or Judaism, or whatever.

So I've just learned to tolerate it and try to include everyone who wants to participate in the discussion. Because otherwise you have people feeling like they are just dismissed. I like to discuss with people that really want to learn something and share views on religious subjects..but it is a fine line to walk. Because "feelings" come into play a lot..rather than the facts. And you have to sort of try to get people BACK on the facts..which in Christianity should be BIBLE.

For instance, if I was a Christian I could bust the bubble of many a Jew, Muslim, or anyone else that tries to tell me my faith isn't right.. JUST by using the Old and New Testaments...the Bible. I wouldn't need the doctrine (the man made stuff). And I could prove without a shadow of a doubt that I follow Jesus and not Paul. But so many Christians cannot cause they putting out "well I feel" and "my pastor said.." rather than what THE WORD says and reading it an applying in properly with understanding.

I already know you are a "word (true Bible) Christian" Nia.. that's why I don't even fool with you like that.. ROFL! I ain't no fool.

True, but if you're going to discuss what the bible teaches on a subject, then you should be familiar with the bible and what it teaches, to some degree. If that statement offend folks (not you), then they'll just have to be offended. That comes with the territory.

Belief in Jesus and what the bible teaches about a subject are two different animals. That's just like if somebody says, "What does Buddhism teach about the afterlife"? I think it's good to know something about Buddhism and the teachings...if you plan to answer the question, vs. "give an opinion".

Also, as stated earlier (way early in the thread), my original intent was to try help keep the convo on track, because these discussions always go way out in left field.

But, that's just me.
Originally Posted by Ninjarette
I agree. I've run into so many that want to discuss but don't have a basic working knowledge of the text or their own religious beliefs supported by the Bible but still claiming.. "Christianity" or Judaism, or whatever.

So I've just learned to tolerate it and try to include everyone who wants to participate in the discussion. Because otherwise you have people feeling like they are just dismissed. I like to discuss with people that really want to learn something and share views on religious subjects..but it is a fine line to walk. Because "feelings" come into play a lot..rather than the facts. And you have to sort of try to get people BACK on the facts..which in Christianity should be BIBLE.

For instance, if I was a Christian I could bust the bubble of many a Jew, Muslim, or anyone else that tries to tell me my faith isn't right.. JUST by using the Old and New Testaments...the Bible. I wouldn't need the doctrine (the man made stuff). And I could prove without a shadow of a doubt that I follow Jesus and not Paul. But so many Christians cannot cause they putting out "well I feel" and "my pastor said.." rather than what THE WORD says and reading it an applying in properly with understanding.

I already know you are a "word (true Bible) Christian" Nia.. that's why I don't even fool with you like that.. ROFL! I ain't no fool.
Originally Posted by *Marah*
Well, like Heavy D said, "Don't try to swing, when you couldn't even hang".
I don't try to prove what I know, and my knowledge is not perfect. I don't profess to know it all. BUT, I try to get in where I fit in. My opinion is not so needed that I have to engage in every discussion, especially if the question requires that I have some knowledge about the subject. I think the original question does. But my bad...people like to share what they think, regardless of whether or not they have a basic understanding of what they're discussing. They wanna be heard. I get that...and so it goes.

Plus, as I said earlier, so many folks seem to have such an issue with "religion" that discussions never reach that level that is about a meeting of minds...rather than showing obvious contempt for someone else's beliefs. I hate that, and that's okay too. People are not required to "tolerate" my beliefs. It is nice when they can respect them and not make them an issue, when they have nothing to do with what's at the table for discussion.

Cuz you know this...when folks come with "I think", to folks who know, they get mad when the bubble bursts. Oh...and yes, you should be able to explain why you believe what you believe, without quoting your pastor, TD Jakes, or anyone else.
NaturallyCJ likes this.
Platinum Product Junkies
The Facebook
| The Twitter

The Product Lines:
Curl Junkie, b.a.s.k, Siamese Twists, Bobeam, Uncle Funky's Daughter, Amazing Botanicals, Zuresh, Dabur Vatika, Karen's Body Beautiful, Curls Unleased, Broo, Qhemet Biologics, Signature Texture, Darcy's Botanicals, Shea Moisture

Last edited by Ninjarette; 11-18-2011 at 04:02 PM.
Everytime I hear or read some nonsense like this I just respond with "everyone sins." and that's it. In my opinion it's all the same...if cutting your hair is a sin so be it, so is fornicating, that doesn't stop people from having sex before marriage...


Sent from my iPhone using CurlTalk
FoxyCleopatraGuide likes this.
Read this post on CN yesterday and it's really got me thinking. Not sure where I stand. What do you all think?

Big Chopping and the Bible | Curly Nikki | Natural Hair Styles and Curly Hair Care
Originally Posted by Precious Curls

Oy vey. Frankly, that particular verse in the New Testament Bible doesn't apply to me. I'm Jewish and the NT is irrelevant to my own life..but I have extensively studied the NT, Christianity, and Paul.

Anyhoo..This whole issue is based on 1 Corinthians 11. I would have to go into a bunch of nauseating detail to really flesh it out for you. But the bottom line is Paul is talking about the supposed order under God. God being the top, the husband being the second, the wife being under her husband and God.

Paul gives the advice that if the woman doesn't cover her head while she is praying or prophesying it is a disgrace because she's not showing the proper order of things. It's a sign of disrespect. In those days.. normally most men wore their hair short and woman grew their hair long and wore veils if they weren't with their spouse. It's was normally harlots that cut their hair short.

So Paul is basically saying if the wife is not going to cover her head to show the proper order of things in during prayer and prophecy... she might as well go all out and shave her darn hair all off or cut it super short like a man would. Because she'd be "out of order" anyway by not showing propriety during prayer and prophesy.

Notice though in verse 16 of the text Paul says that if any man is contentious about what he's saying..recognize there is no actual LAW. They use the word "custom" in English taken from some Greek words that mean a certain thing to Paul. Paul was for all intents and purposes a Jewish man and he thought more from a Hebraic perspective. So he uses the the term in a certain way when he uses it.

So I would venture to say the understanding is he's saying there is no actual Jewish Halacha (law or Jewish codeified prohibition) against it. He's simply making guidelines concerning propriety for the church community that he's trying to establish to keep order. He's not saying a woman MUST do as he says..he's basically saying, "If any of ya'll wanna catch an attitude about what I'm saying about propriety then do you cause what I'm saying isn't law anyway..I'm just trying to get yall to see order!"

You have to realize that Paul gives a lot of what he feels are useful and helpful guidelines to the people he's build up. So that when he leaves they won't revert back to their old ways of impropriety. Keep in mind the letter is to people in Corinth which was in Greece. These people were formerly pagans. So he's trying to get them to be "holy". Some of what he says is not always what he has gotten from his revelation from Jesus Christ or god. It's just his own advice.

So it's important to denote that Paul makes distinctions about what are his own ideas and what has been revealed to him through the word of Jesus Christ or god.

Unfortunately, many of Paul's epistles have been used in Christianity to brow beat the hell out of women into being "submissive" to their husband and other men. Paul's words have been distorted to base all sorts of nonsensical beliefs on that have been one of which I consider primary in the many errors in mainstream Christianity.

But I assure you there is no admonisment from Paul or any other apostle or Jesus Christ that a woman that has chemically relaxed or altered her hair can't cut or shave that part or all of it off to grow back her hair to a healthy and natural state. Heck.. I would think Paul would be glad of it.. a woman getting back to originally what god made her.. nu ?
Originally Posted by *Marah*
So weird that the author's acquaintance felt the need to push his interpretation of his religious doctrine on the author. I just cannot read that article without getting angry that people use the teachings of a revolutionary Jewish Rabbi (Jesus) who talked mostly about love and acceptance and disposing of nonsensical rules (like eating kosher etc) to subjugate women and tell women in the modern era what they can and cannot do.
Paul was a man, a man of his time. Not God.
Kinky DaySha likes this.
Nia,

I used to have the same thoughts..believe me. But after years of religious debate in my life outside of NC I ended up feeling like.. hey whatever go ahead and join the convo if you want cause you gonna bust in it anyway talking about how you "feel" and ain't read nare text or fomulated no exegesis on it at all. But okay.. run up and get done up since you just gotta have your "feelings" voiced since you professin' such and such alliegance to such and such religion. Then when they walk away with "hurt feelings".. everyone else wrong but them.
Christians study the OT just as much as the NT. As I call myself a Christian, I mean just that - a follower of Christ. I want to be Christlike. I know what that means, it's supposed to be the basis of Christianity. I don't like all of the stipulations and the "Well, you have to do things this way, and stand on your head in purple on the last Friday of the month or you're not a "real" Christian" stuff. That's religion, man made. A Jew may not think he existed, a Muslim may think he was just a prophet. They may not even refer to Him in any manner, fine, do you. But lineage, history, God (who He is, His character, etc..) is shared. I believe all 3 come from the same area geographically and historically. The OT is a huge tie between them. The fact that we all share it means something. It doesn't take anything from any of them individually that they are connected. Customs, practices, secondary beliefs (I call them secondary cause belief in the one true God is primary) are what define them individually. That being said I don't know alot about Judiasm. I've learned so much in this thread, it makes me want to learn more. But I know about Islam so I feel more confident in my feelings about it. I know all 3 are about God and love and faith. Their fundamentals are the same, thats what beliefs are about. Not misinterpretation of written word, or people turning the words to suit their own selfish purposes.

I am Christian, my husband is a Muslim. We are married 10 1/2 years. Our children have both Muslim and Christian names. We have great respect for each other's religions because of what they stand for. If someone wants to call my husband a heathen and say I'm going to hell for marrying or socializing with him, fine. That's a man's opinion. If someone wants to say he's less of a Muslim because he allows his wife to go to church and uncover her hair, that's a man's opinion. If some fool wants to say I'm out of God's graces for cutting my hair. That's a man's opinion. But my relationship with God can only be defined by me and God. There are things that are fundamental. The rest is just garbage thrown in by a human being to manipulate people or put them into a box.
Last perm 8/07, big chop 5/08, several mini chops since
Fine, medium density, low porosity. PJ in recovery
Current loves:Tressemme Nats, AO GPB, One and Only Argan Oil Hydrating Mask, Alba Botanicals Leave-in, KCKT, Qhemet BRBC & OHHB, Terresentials Mud Wash, Trader Joes Nourish Spa
"Be the change you want to see in the world." - Gandhi

Last edited by Kinky DaySha; 11-18-2011 at 05:24 PM.

So weird that the author's acquaintance felt the need to push his interpretation of his religious doctrine on the author. I just cannot read that article without getting angry that people use the teachings of a revolutionary Jewish Rabbi (Jesus) who talked mostly about love and acceptance and disposing of nonsensical rules (like eating kosher etc) to subjugate women and tell women in the modern era what they can and cannot do.
Paul was a man, a man of his time. Not God.
Originally Posted by shainala
Now how the heck you goin' just rip Kashrut Law calling it "nonsensical" and then try to claim Jesus as a "revolutionary Rabbi" ? If that ain't a slap in the face for Jews all over the world that keep kosher..um including JESUS if you really believe he was JEWish. Jesus grew up as a Jewish boy according to the NT. So oh yeah..he kept Kosher. He better had or he would have got chin checked! And I triple guarantee you he didn't think it was "nonsensical" not even as an adult. He would never defile himself in such a manner nor disrespect his Father in Heaven being a Jewish man.

And no..where and I do mean NO WHERE in the NT does Jesus say ANYWHERE that keeping Kosher should be "disposed of". And if he did.. he wasn't Jewish at all..nor was he a "rabbi" so your point is blow to hell (pun intended)... But since we are going with "he was".. I'm telling you he did no such a thing.

So please.. I beg you to tell me you are not trying to use Matthew 12 to say Jesus taught any such a thing about disposing of keeping kosher. Please tell me. And for the record Jesus spent a good time chin checking folks too for their foolishness and works of inquity. He wasn't all about just "love this and love that".
And yeah..I gotta chip on my shoulder about the very notion that eating kosher is nonsensical for a JEW!

Girl Bye!
keenylicious likes this.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:14 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com