The New & Improved Say It I Dare You

Like Tree15506Likes

Update: African-American girl won't face expulsion over 'natural hair' | News - Home

Another version of this story. Their so called rules about being "distracting" are bs. The school didn't have an issue with her hair until AFTER she complained of bullies. They were just covering their butts and instead of dealing with the bullies chose to make her change.

Last edited by adthomas; 11-27-2013 at 11:33 AM.
There's a thread about his in the Hall of Shame. Seems like there always is. I'm so sick of this story (or really, I'm sick of this same thing happening over and over again). As if what grows out of someone's head is somehow offensive. I love that this child's parents have her back and are allowing her to show her natural beauty.

I imagine a school where the kids have predominately curly and kinky hair. One kid has straight hair and one day has the audacity to wear it out of her bun. Everyone shouts, "Get a curly perm. Your hair is a [straight] mess!" Probably calls her cruel names.

The kid complains to the teacher, the principal and is told, "Hey kid, your [straight] hair is a distraction. You're going to have to get a curly perm to make it presentable so people will stop being so distracted by it."
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums

Last edited by Korkscrew; 11-27-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Yeah it's same different day with these unequally enforced dress codes. I was a cheerleader and I remember we ALL had to wear ponytail with ribbon regardless of our hair texture. I wouldn't have a problem in every girl in this school was required to pull her hair in a bun but I doubt that is the case. Our hair poofs. That is what it does. Get over it. If straight haired kids can wear their hair out so can she or it's discrimination. One reason for my being natural is to show my little cousins the beauty of our kinky hair. those of us trying to teach little girls to love and appreciate themselves as they are undermined when faced with sending them to schools where they are being told the opposite. Funny how I see lots of people on the Internet attacking natural hair women as being soooooo intolerant and calling naturals nazis. but until I start seeing lots of news stories on here about schools threatening to expell little black girls in the United States for having relaxers I'm not trying to hear all that. I have never heard women say their boss wanted to fire them because they wore a long silky weave. I can't say the same about an afro. So to those who equate the backlash they get for being relaxed or straight to that we get for being curly natural I say pah-leese. Chances are the person complaining about your relaxed hair has no impact on whether you can pay your bills or if you get an education.
So the handbook says hair must be the natural color. So it is not okay to send a child to this school with a chemical dye in her hair but it is okay with a chemical straightner. What is the difference?. That child's hair isn't dirty or uncared for. I'm not crying racism either. The main people who can't find their way off the good hair bad hair bus are POC. They need to start focusing on doing their freaking job and putting knowledge in a child's head.
Yeah it's same different day with these unequally enforced dress codes. I was a cheerleader and I remember we ALL had to wear ponytail with ribbon regardless of our hair texture. I wouldn't have a problem in every girl in this school was required to pull her hair in a bun but I doubt that is the case. Our hair poofs. That is what it does. Get over it. If straight haired kids can wear their hair out so can she or it's discrimination. One reason for my being natural is to show my little cousins the beauty of our kinky hair. those of us trying to teach little girls to love and appreciate themselves as they are undermined when faced with sending them to schools where they are being told the opposite. Funny how I see lots of people on the Internet attacking natural hair women as being soooooo intolerant and calling naturals nazis. but until I start seeing lots of news stories on here about schools threatening to expell little black girls in the United States for having relaxers I'm not trying to hear all that. I have never heard women say their boss wanted to fire them because they wore a long silky weave. I can't say the same about an afro. So to those who equate the backlash they get for being relaxed or straight to that we get for being curly natural I say pah-leese. Chances are the person complaining about your relaxed hair has no impact on whether you can pay your bills or if you get an education.
So the handbook says hair must be the natural color. So it is not okay to send a child to this school with a chemical dye in her hair but it is okay with a chemical straightner. What is the difference?. That child's hair isn't dirty or uncared for. I'm not crying racism either. The main people who can't find their way off the good hair bad hair bus are POC. They need to start focusing on doing their freaking job and putting knowledge in a child's head.
Originally Posted by adthomas
*Wendy Williams snap*
Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
BC: December 19, 2009
Products: Whatever works!
She should have just left it the Hell alone. Instead she jumped back onto the thread with some kind of fake "apology" along the lines of "I'm sorry if ... ". And she basically said the fact that she stole my post and re-posted it as her own was no big deal since a lot of people have talked about the same thing on the forums anyway

I honestly don't so much give a danm about what she copied and pasted of mine (it really was nothing special per se). It's her flippant attitude: the idea that you get to take anything that aint nailed down, slap your name on it and folks are supposed to be all casual about you doing so.

Shoo.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums
So I am going to wig it up for a little bit. I post a pic on FB and I got like 40 likes not gonna lie, I'm feeling some type of way about this .___.
Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
BC: December 19, 2009
Products: Whatever works!
She should have just left it the Hell alone. Instead she jumped back onto the thread with some kind of fake "apology" along the lines of "I'm sorry if ... ". And she basically said the fact that she stole my post and re-posted it as her own was no big deal since a lot of people have talked about the same thing on the forums anyway

I honestly don't so much give a danm about what she copied and pasted of mine (it really was nothing special per se). It's her flippant attitude: the idea that you get to take anything that aint nailed down, slap your name on it and folks are supposed to be all casual about you doing so.

Shoo.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
Where is all this nonsense at???
Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
BC: December 19, 2009
Products: Whatever works!
So I am going to wig it up for a little bit. I post a pic on FB and I got like 40 likes not gonna lie, I'm feeling some type of way about this .___.
Originally Posted by gagirl09
What type of style did you get? I like to wear wigs that are straight with bob cuts and short. The one I have now is longer than I would like but I can't fit my hair under the really short ones anymore. Seems to me these bss shops around here think everyone who wears fake hair is trying to add length and almost the whole selection is super duper long loose waves. I have trouble finding wigs were I live that don't look like I want to be on stage with destiny's child. I don't like ordering because I don't know how it will fit or look on me i ordered one and I thought it had a "few" highlites but it has a lot and they are blonde. I hate it but never got around to sending it back.
She should have just left it the Hell alone. Instead she jumped back onto the thread with some kind of fake "apology" along the lines of "I'm sorry if ... ". And she basically said the fact that she stole my post and re-posted it as her own was no big deal since a lot of people have talked about the same thing on the forums anyway

I honestly don't so much give a danm about what she copied and pasted of mine (it really was nothing special per se). It's her flippant attitude: the idea that you get to take anything that aint nailed down, slap your name on it and folks are supposed to be all casual about you doing so.

Shoo.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew

Where is all this nonsense at???
Originally Posted by gagirl09
I don't know either. Probably because there are a lot of doors I purposely don't enter.
She should have just left it the Hell alone. Instead she jumped back onto the thread with some kind of fake "apology" along the lines of "I'm sorry if ... ". And she basically said the fact that she stole my post and re-posted it as her own was no big deal since a lot of people have talked about the same thing on the forums anyway

I honestly don't so much give a danm about what she copied and pasted of mine (it really was nothing special per se). It's her flippant attitude: the idea that you get to take anything that aint nailed down, slap your name on it and folks are supposed to be all casual about you doing so.

Shoo.
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
Where is all this nonsense at???
Originally Posted by gagirl09
It is in the general hair forum, but I can't remember what thread.

Sent from my HTCEVOV4G using CurlTalk App
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
Straight,choppy look with a bang. Brown hue. Of course my coworkers were "impolite" asking too many question instead of just saying it looks nice OR you changed your hair!
adthomas likes this.
Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
BC: December 19, 2009
Products: Whatever works!
In the General Discussion forum. The OP is Fosterer (but she isn't the person I'm talking about).
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
She kept digging making herself look foolish.

It's there for every one to see so I wouldn't worry about it.
Yeah, you're right: foolish. Not really worried, that was just bizarre and frustrating, if you see what I mean. I've calmed down. I like your username btw
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums
Yeah, you're right: foolish. Not really worried, that was just bizarre and frustrating, if you see what I mean. I've calmed down. I like your username btw
Originally Posted by Korkscrew
I was on here over 10 years ago but forgot my username and also had the email address I used hacked so was blocked from using it.

I got fed up with hair boards as some posters had issues accepting that people who were the same skin colour or ethnic background as themselves has different hair properties so posted foolishness.

When you have natural fine and thin hair telling you that you are wrong for not using some heavy butter or that you are wetting your hair too much to get rid of sweat from exercise, when you are battling with some of your own ignorant family about not straightening your hair isn't what you need.

I noticed now there is more acceptance of using products from those with different curl types who have similar hair properties.
What you said also reminds me of how, not too long ago, the "CG" method cult was even more of a cult than it is now. Something was wrong with you if you ever fell off the wagon and used a sulfate shampoo. Didn't matter if someone had fine hair like you. Didn't matter if you ended up looking like an oiled down dog. Shampoo was evil and you just had to get used to co-washing whether or not your hair became greasy with buildup from all that conditioner, or oil or whatever.

Also noticed there are maybe a couple less offensive "poor me" posts these days, where someone laments their hair being "OMG so frizzy ... HELP it looks like an afro!" Of course you still get the same response after calling that person out for their insensitivity: a total refusal to acknowledge their offense. Or worse ...

1. Person A makes insensitive remark about curly hair on a curly hair site.
2. Person B informs Person A of his/her insensitive remark.
3. Person A tells Person B she is offensive and overly-sensitive for speaking out against an offensive remark.

Ironically, many of the offenders probably have suffered negative remarks about their own hair, regardless of curl/wave type, because after all, it isn't straight.
Samanthascurlz likes this.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums

Last edited by Korkscrew; 12-03-2013 at 03:06 PM.
I'm sorry I dabble in CG or I guess I should say the styling method from time to time. Right now though I would love a good chelating shampoo because it's about that time....
Regardless though do not tell me what I must do or have to do with my head unless I ask for advice and even then....
Korkscrew and lori.mattox like this.
Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
BC: December 19, 2009
Products: Whatever works!
As if you couldn't tell, I'm sick of the anti-Afro remarks, as much as I'm sick of general anti-curly remarks here or when I'm not at this site. Anyone think there should be a rule at this site against making disparaging, general remarks against a hair type, or is that going overboard and creating (more?) unwanted/unneeded censorship ... or just more derision?

I ask this because I'm fantasizing about approaching the mods with some idea about a guideline against remarks against a general hair type. Found another remark in the Hall of Shame forum, ironically. What if offenders simply got a reminder post (with a link to the guideline)? Nothing fancy, just some gentle reminder that they're being an anti-curl troll without realizing it. Mods could link it, or maybe posters could link it. Thoughts?
lori.mattox likes this.
3b/c?

Ringlet Fandango! ... Where curly ideas roam free

* 2 blogs this week: Pictures of My (Sorta) Big Chop! AND Turn a Nightmare Product into a Dream* My Albums
People hate being made to think about what they are posting and having it pointed out to them it is racist especially when they have their own issues with hair acceptance.

In regards to the mods they can't keep up with the spam so getting them to tell someone they are being racist isn't going to happen.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:45 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com