The New & Improved Say It I Dare You

Like Tree15359Likes

Like if I was addressing them in a speech or something? I'd just say ladies.

If I was pointing out a group of grown women and young girls, I'd just say "that group of women and girls over there," or "those guys." OR "those women," because kids tend to be...irrelevant.

Same thing for men and boys, I'd say "those men and boys over there," or "those guys."
Last relaxer: 8.4.10
BC: 9.6.11

when will your favs?

I have a serious question...like seriously. I use the term females and I really mean no harm at all. So what do you call a group of women and girls..like it you want to refer to them collectively ? I recall Ice Cube said in Friday to Deebo.. "Yo..that's a female!" when Deebo I think hit Felicia or something. Seemed Ice Cube was trying to protect the woman..not be misogynistic.
Originally Posted by *Marah*
You can refer to a group of women or girls as...women or girls!!!!!

whenever you hear a man refer to women as "females" it is ALWAYS (yes, I will stick my neck out there and say ALWAYS) a sexist/misogynistic man.
curlyarca and annabananalise like this.

Last edited by coilynapp; 08-02-2012 at 01:25 AM.
There is a damn conspiracy against me because they keep showing Alcide all sexified. I really would just kidnap him and take him far far far far away and do some things--and never ever bring him back!
*Marah* likes this.
I have a serious question...like seriously. I use the term females and I really mean no harm at all. So what do you call a group of women and girls..like it you want to refer to them collectively ? I recall Ice Cube said in Friday to Deebo.. "Yo..that's a female!" when Deebo I think hit Felicia or something. Seemed Ice Cube was trying to protect the woman..not be misogynistic.
Originally Posted by *Marah*
You can refer to a group of women or girls as...women or girls!!!!!

whenever you hear a man refer to women as "females" it is ALWAYS (yes, I will stick my neck out there and say ALWAYS) a sexist/misogynistic man.
Originally Posted by coilynapp
Hmm...can't say I agree, but what's odd to me is that I've never heard my husband use "females" to describe women and girls..so what the hell has he been saying all these years when referring to women and girls collectively ? Because he's never "corrected" me when I say females. I know he says.."ladies" a lot and he calls little girls..."young ladies" even if they are like 5..LOL!. But what the HELL is he saying for both in a group ? I'll have to ask him tomorrow..
^^^LOL Marah! Ask him also what he thinks of men who say "female(s)" when they are referring to a woman or women.

And no, men who use "females" are not referring to a group of women and girls collectively.

The way you are using it is to designate that this group of people are female. But you can certainly use young women, or just women, or women and girls to describe the group also.

Men who use "females" when referring to a woman say things like this..."I don't mess with that female". Another one that irritates me is "you females iz (yes I said iz) all the same". It is never describing a group of people who are of the female sex.
curlyarca and Jo Somebody like this.

Last edited by coilynapp; 08-02-2012 at 01:43 AM.
There is a damn conspiracy against me because they keep showing Alcide all sexified. I really would just kidnap him and take him far far far far away and do some things--and never ever bring him back!
Originally Posted by coilynapp
Gurrrrrrrl..and I just finished reading this paranormal romance book where the lead male (can I call men males ?) is a werewolf. YOU KNOW I was imagining Alcide! I even love his name...Allllciiiiiiiide. DAYUM!
^^^LOL Marah! Ask him also what he thinks of men who say "female(s)" when they are referring to a woman or women.
Originally Posted by coilynapp
I will but at first I'm not going to mention females at all (so I can catch if his ass is sexist and misogynistic and burst his little bubble). Cause my husband is smart..if I mention females..he'll be thinking "aww shoot..she's about to come with some womens rights stuff" and get his little story straight in his mind before he answers.

So I'm going to simply ask him how he refers to a group of women and girls collectively. If he says females..I swear I'll tell yall. And I'll be sure to karate chop him in the throat for being sexist and misogynistic.
There is a damn conspiracy against me because they keep showing Alcide all sexified. I really would just kidnap him and take him far far far far away and do some things--and never ever bring him back!
Originally Posted by coilynapp
Gurrrrrrrl..and I just finished reading this paranormal romance book where the lead male (can I call men males ?) is a werewolf. YOU KNOW I was imagining Alcide! I even love his name...Allllciiiiiiiide. DAYUM!
Originally Posted by *Marah*
You aint said nothing but a WORD!!!! He is just too damn hot for LIFE. LIFE I say. He is one actor I would definitely love to meet and even then I think my knees will buckle and I will faint. Now I don't get star struck like that, but if I meet him, I'll even forget my name. FOR REAL!

What is this book please?
*Marah* likes this.
^^^LOL Marah! Ask him also what he thinks of men who say "female(s)" when they are referring to a woman or women.

And no, men who use "females" are not referring to a group of women and girls collectively.

The way you are using it is to designate that this group of people are female. But you can certainly use young women, or just women, or women and girls to describe the group also.

Men who use "females" when referring to a woman say things like this..."I don't mess with that female". Another one that irritates me is "you females iz (yes I said iz) all the same". It is never describing a group of people who are of the female sex.
Originally Posted by coilynapp
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Okay..my husband doesn't say that then..because he's a nerd and very well spoken. But I'm still going to ask him. I might CATCH his ass. Cause he's good for always saying some stuff women dig. He smooth as Alcide child!
^^^LOL Marah! Ask him also what he thinks of men who say "female(s)" when they are referring to a woman or women.
Originally Posted by coilynapp
I will but at first I'm not going to mention females at all (so I can catch if his ass is sexist and misogynistic and burst his little bubble). Cause my husband is smart..if I mention females..he'll be thinking "aww shoot..she's about to come with some womens rights stuff" and get his little story straight in his mind before he answers.

So I'm going to simply ask him how he refers to a group of women and girls collectively. If he says females..I swear I'll tell yall. And I'll be sure to karate chop him in the throat for being sexist and misogynistic.
Originally Posted by *Marah*

The bolded has me ROLLIN'!!!!!!!

Yes don't mention females at all and then see what he says.
*Marah* likes this.
Ohhhhhhhhhhh. Okay..my husband doesn't say that then..because he's a nerd and very well spoken. But I'm still going to ask him. I might CATCH his ass. Cause he's good for always saying some stuff women dig. He smooth as Alcide child!
Originally Posted by *Marah*

Lucky!!!!!!
*Marah* likes this.

Last edited by coilynapp; 08-02-2012 at 01:54 AM.
There is a damn conspiracy against me because they keep showing Alcide all sexified. I really would just kidnap him and take him far far far far away and do some things--and never ever bring him back!
Originally Posted by coilynapp
Gurrrrrrrl..and I just finished reading this paranormal romance book where the lead male (can I call men males ?) is a werewolf. YOU KNOW I was imagining Alcide! I even love his name...Allllciiiiiiiide. DAYUM!
Originally Posted by *Marah*
You aint said nothing but a WORD!!!! He is just too damn hot for LIFE. LIFE I say. He is one actor I would definitely love to meet and even then I think my knees will buckle and I will faint. Now I don't get star struck like that, but if I meet him, I'll even forget my name. FOR REAL!

What is this book please?
Originally Posted by coilynapp
Pleasure Of A Dark Prince by Kresley Cole. And oh my gosh..Alcide does that to me too. Honestly, I don't understand why..and it makes me feel weird. Cause yeah I like cute celebrity men..but it's never like I seriously want them. My husband is great for me. But Alcide..LAWD. I'm weak when I see him. My husband even noticed and goes.."You aren't even this over the moon for Robert Downey Jr..and you REALLY love him!"

I get so uncomfortable if my husband walks in the room and Alcide is on.. I get to looking and feeling guilty as hell! I used to have this HUGE crush on young Paul Reiser (don't laugh) and was obsessed with him ..but he ain't NEVA made me feel like Alcide.

When I seen Alcide butt nekid this past Sunday..I damn near died. I mean I literally tried not to blink the WHOLE time he was on screen. Now you know that's scandalous as hell for someone married as long as me. Shameful.

Pleasure Of A Dark Prince by Kresley Cole. And oh my gosh..Alcide does that to me too. Honestly, I don't understand why..and it makes me feel weird. Cause yeah I like cute celebrity men..but it's never like I seriously want them. My husband is great for me. But Alcide..LAWD. I'm weak when I see him. My husband even noticed and goes.."You aren't even this over the moon for Robert Downey Jr..and you REALLY love him!"

I get so uncomfortable if my husband walks in the room and Alcide is on.. I get to looking and feeling guilty as hell! I used to have this HUGE crush on young Paul Reiser (don't laugh) and was obsessed with him ..but he ain't NEVA made me feel like Alcide.

When I seen Alcide butt nekid this past Sunday..I damn near died. I mean I literally tried not to blink the WHOLE time he was on screen. Now you know that's scandalous as hell for someone married as long as me. Shameful.
Originally Posted by *Marah*
I'll have to check that book out.

I don't know what it is either. Now, I'm single, so no guilt here, just pure pure pleasure...

I've actually never really been star struck at all. I mean some people are yummy to look at, but I don't really care to meet them in person. But if there was a casting call to read some lines with Alcide, you know who will be there? Yes, my non-acting self!!!

YES!!!!!! at the bolded. You couldn't pay me to even move. I was even holding my breath! He has a nice butt!!! I wanted to be that woman....
*Marah* likes this.

Pleasure Of A Dark Prince by Kresley Cole. And oh my gosh..Alcide does that to me too. Honestly, I don't understand why..and it makes me feel weird. Cause yeah I like cute celebrity men..but it's never like I seriously want them. My husband is great for me. But Alcide..LAWD. I'm weak when I see him. My husband even noticed and goes.."You aren't even this over the moon for Robert Downey Jr..and you REALLY love him!"

I get so uncomfortable if my husband walks in the room and Alcide is on.. I get to looking and feeling guilty as hell! I used to have this HUGE crush on young Paul Reiser (don't laugh) and was obsessed with him ..but he ain't NEVA made me feel like Alcide.

When I seen Alcide butt nekid this past Sunday..I damn near died. I mean I literally tried not to blink the WHOLE time he was on screen. Now you know that's scandalous as hell for someone married as long as me. Shameful.
Originally Posted by *Marah*
I'll have to check that book out.

I don't know what it is either. Now, I'm single, so no guilt here, just pure pure pleasure...

I've actually never really been star struck at all. I mean some people are yummy to look at, but I don't really care to meet them in person. But if there was a casting call to read some lines with Alcide, you know who will be there? Yes, my non-acting self!!!

YES!!!!!! at the bolded. You couldn't pay me to even move. I was even holding my breath! He has a nice butt!!! I wanted to be that woman....
Originally Posted by coilynapp
LOL...LAWD! He has a nice everythang! That damn gif has me rollin'!

GIFSoup




I can't even believe he's a real live person. He's like alllllll those men they describe in my paranormal romance books.
coilynapp and Jo Somebody like this.
I never noticed the "females" thing until approximately 2009. It has become part of the vernacular for younger people, and I agree 100% it's meant in a dehumanizing way. At first it was just men using it, now women call each other female and even refer to men as "males". Um.....whatever happened to women/men?

They're not taking it back to biology class in a good way. At all.
coilynapp likes this.

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
I'm not what one would call politically correct but I don't use female. To be used in a derogatory manner ill refer to the women as chicks, broads or even "b's".

"Females" derogatory or not just doesn't flow right for me. Normally, I refer to a group of women as ladies, I say lady or young lady most often.

My husband doesn't use female either...he is that nerdy gentleman type...so he uses lady, young lady, women. He doesn't use girl unless he is describing the birth of baby. His mom was a nutt about addressing and referring to women properly.

...i'm supersonic
**sophisticated ignorance, I type my cuss words in cursive**

Current Rotation (always changing): Curl Junkie Curl Rehab as my Leave-In, Blended Beauty Happy Nappy Styles, Entwine Argan Oil, Bobeam Shampoo Bars, QB CTDG and QB AHTB, UFD Curly Magic, B.A.S.K Anything.


http://www.platinumpj.com
http://www.facebook.com/PlatinumPJ
@PlatinumPJ
I don't like the sound of "females" either. To me it just sounds weird. I try to stay away from masculine pronouns because I know there's a natural tendency to refer to large groups as "guys", even if you're addressing mostly women. I'm guilty sometimes but at least I'm aware. I prefer to say ladies, women, girls.


Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
Okay so I just got off the phone with my husband at work here's how the conversation went verbatim:

Hubby: Hello
Marah: Hey babe, I have a question that I forgot to ask you this morning before work. Do you have the time to chat ?
Hubby: Yes, plenty of time. What do you need sweetheart ?
Marah: I'd like to know how you personally refer to women and girls collectively ?
Hubby: Excuse me ? Could you rephrase ?
Marah: Well I mean if you were about to give a speech in front of a group of women and girls and no men besides yourself were present..how would you address them ?
Hubby: Ah..I see. Well most likely either women or ladies. (Pause) Probably ladies because I prefer it.
Marah: Well why ?
Hubby: Well because you said women and girls were present and no men or boys. Otherwise, I would say ladies and gentlemen.
Marah: So there is no other term you'd use to address a group of women and girls ?
Hubby: Well no. I'm not sure what else to use besides ladies or women as I stated.
Marah: Oh.. well ..um..well what about females ?
Hubby: (Pause.) ....(More Pausing). I don't think I'd refer to a group of women and girls as females.
Marah: Well why not ? That's what they are.
Hubby: Well I'm aware if the room is filled with women and girls that biologically they are females. But it seems strange to refer to women and girls as..females.
Marah: So you wouldn't refer to women or girls collectively as females at any time ?
Hubby: Well yes. I would if I was giving a biology lecture..maybe specifically discussing anatomy.
Marah: But otherwise..?
Hubby: Well I just can't see myself referring to women and girls as females. It's just not appropriate.
Marah: Yeah but they are female.
Hubby: (Pause). I'm aware biologically they would be female. But referring to women and girls as females just doesn't occur to me.
Marah: (silence)
Hubby: Sweetheart ? What's going on. Is everything okay. Do I need to come home or something ?
Marah: (laughing) No. I'm fine. I just had a conversation on the hair board. (For space and time..I explained to him what we discussed here last night)
Hubby: Oh okay. Well I honestly can't blame them for feeling that way sweetheart. I don't think I'd want women to call me..a male. Hmm..just saying that aloud seems disrespectful.
Marah: Well you've never said anything to me about it and I say females all the time.
Hubby: (Pause)...(laughs). Sweetheart, you say a lot of..um interesting things. (Says very quickly) But I love you though!
Marah: (chuckling) You just saved your own life there buddy!
Hubby: (sounding fake scared) Oh believe me I know it!
Marah: Well I love you.
Hubby: Good. Now..it's interesting to me that you bring this up because yesterday at work one of my co-workers referred to a woman as a girl.
Marah: Why ?
Hubby: Well she was standing outside with some men and he said.. "Oh there's that girl again with those guys." I looked up to see out of the window and there is standing a woman that had to be about 40 years old with maybe 4 men. So I turned to him and said.."Um..what is she like 12 ?" And the guy looks at me puzzled. I said..."That's not a girl out there.." He says, "Well I know that technically she's not a girl but you know what I mean." Then I said to him rather sarcastically.. "Yeah.. I know what you mean." Didn't seem like he got it. So I went down the hall.
Marah: Oh wow. Well um.. sometimes I refer to adult women as girls. Like if the woman is around 20.
Hubby: Yeah I know.
Marah: (silence)
Hubby: Sweetheart, I know you don't mean any harm when you say it but believe me 9 times out of 10 if a man says it..it's usually because he has some lack of respect for women.
Marah: Really ? You really think that ?
Hubby: Sweetheart, I'm 44. I've been around a lot of guys in my lifetime. In high school, college, the military, and at every job I've had. I know how a lot of men think. If a man says that..it's usually because he has some underlying issue with accepting an adult woman as an equal.
Marah: Well I never thought about it like that...
Hubby: I know..sweetheart.. I know. I think part of that is because you don't think like an average American man..but at the same time you have a very old fashioned way about you. I know you don't mean any harm. I find it charming because I know your heart is in the right place. I can't say that about most men.
Marah: Oh. (blushing). Thank....you.
Hubby: You are sweet. Well I have a few prints I need to work on. Can we continue this conversation when I get home this evening. I'd like to discuss this further.
Marah: Sure. I'd like that. Bye babe. See you tonight.
Hubby: BYE.. FEMALE!
Marah: (gasp) HEY!
Hubby: Oh.. I am just teaching you a lesson. See how that feels ?
Marah: Yes. Yes..I..do.
Hubby: Good. Let's talk tonight. I love you very much.
Marah: Love ya. Bye!
End Call.
Jo Somebody likes this.
Okay..so I guess he and I will talk tonight. It did feel very weird when he called ME female. But I don't know. I really honestly don't mean any harm when I say females. I don't go around saying.. "those females" or anything. Usually if I want to be a smartass about a group of ladies and/or girls..I'll say: HEFFAS. LOL!

But if it's a group of women and girls..I will indeed say.."Oh there were many females in the room" or something but I mean absolutely no disrespect at all. Not even thinking in those terms. I guess I just have never seen anything wrong or inappropriate about it. I guess my husband will school me tonight.

ETA: Oh and I noticed he used the term "guys". How come that's okay and females isn't ?

Last edited by *Marah*; 08-02-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Funny, I posted on my FB today something I read that said to never trust a man who refers to women as "females" because I agree that it's something that comes out of the mouth of sexist douchebags.
Originally Posted by Saria
I was thinking about that! I hate the term too. It sounds like talking about breeding animals. I also hate when women are called girls. No one does that to men.
Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com