The New & Improved Say It I Dare You

Like Tree15509Likes

The Real Truth About Blacks and Unemployment… : ThyBlackMan.com

Funny I was telling my mom I was considering doing this a few weeks ago.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
The Real Truth About Blacks and Unemployment… : ThyBlackMan.com

Funny I was telling my mom I was considering doing this a few weeks ago.
Originally Posted by CocoT
This is depressing. I have an "ethnic" sounding name and now wonder how many positions I could have been passed up for other "non-ethnic" sounding names.
James Baldwin
A Talk To Teachers
[...]
one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
[...]

I have been watching YT videos for this natural stylist named Damian Walters. At first I thought he was informative and amusing but it started to make me uncomfortable how he mocks his clients right in their face. Now some seems in jest but some seems down right mean. But if they keep going back and allowing him to put that mess on YT then that is them. Also I noticed he talks a lot about natural hair but I have watched a lot of videos by him and his lady partner and yet to see a natural with a fully finish style that wasn't weaved, loced or straightened. No loose naturals like myself. And he talks so much trash about cowashing, shea butter, curl definers, ect. I mean he thinks sb is the debil. Sorry but he is not going to run a pressing comb through someone's hair and see me give much credict to a lecture from him about damage. His partner admitted she has heat damage BTW. And when he started talking about "typical" african american hair and I was thinking what?? Are we not individuals?? My hair hates strong protein treatments. This man acts like his you know what doesn't stink and he knows everything about everything and everyone else who says differently is stupid. BTW which is why I stopped going to stylists four years ago. Of course they were dismissing us do it yourselfers. I will keep my cowashes and my shea butter and my healthy hair and my money. Thanks you very much.
The Real Truth About Blacks and Unemployment… : ThyBlackMan.com

Funny I was telling my mom I was considering doing this a few weeks ago.
Originally Posted by CocoT
This is depressing. I have an "ethnic" sounding name and now wonder how many positions I could have been passed up for other "non-ethnic" sounding names.
Originally Posted by cocodej
My name isn't "ethnic" but I've contemplated lying about my race. I know discrimination happens but it doesn't take away the fact that it's frustrating. But I decide against lying about myself because what good will that do in the long run? I'm not gonna paint my skin white so I'm better off being honest about who I am. If a company doesn't want to hire me because I'm black then I'm glad they didn't call me anyway.
Jo Somebody likes this.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
The Real Truth About Blacks and Unemployment… : ThyBlackMan.com

Funny I was telling my mom I was considering doing this a few weeks ago.
Originally Posted by CocoT
This is depressing. I have an "ethnic" sounding name and now wonder how many positions I could have been passed up for other "non-ethnic" sounding names.
Originally Posted by cocodej

Hmmm I wonder about that too.
Uganda Moves Forward on Anti-Gay Bill



I did my senior project on this topic and I've been following this story for the last few years (still salty I got a B- on it and a C+ in the class but...Imma be aiite). In my paper I talked about cultural relativism and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, and I think that makes this issue all the more compelling. An overwhelming majority (like 90%) of the citizens of Uganda believe homosexuality is wrong and they believe in it's criminalization. What's a country to do when it's citizens have spoken?
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
The Real Truth About Blacks and Unemployment… : ThyBlackMan.com

Funny I was telling my mom I was considering doing this a few weeks ago.
Originally Posted by CocoT
This is depressing. I have an "ethnic" sounding name and now wonder how many positions I could have been passed up for other "non-ethnic" sounding names.
Originally Posted by cocodej
My name isn't "ethnic" but I've contemplated lying about my race. I know discrimination happens but it doesn't take away the fact that it's frustrating. But I decide against lying about myself because what good will that do in the long run? I'm not gonna paint my skin white so I'm better off being honest about who I am. If a company doesn't want to hire me because I'm black then I'm glad they didn't call me anyway.
Originally Posted by CocoT
I can definitely agree with that instance, but it may be that the HR person is the one who is biased. What if just getting in the door is harder because of discrimination, yet the company culture or department you will be in is another matter? I wonder if anyone has done a piece or some research on HR culture; that could go really far in helping job searches.
CocoT likes this.
James Baldwin
A Talk To Teachers
[...]
one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
[...]

Monster & other job sites are not to blame. Its HR people. Sometimes ppl of color in hiring positions being biased.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids

This is depressing. I have an "ethnic" sounding name and now wonder how many positions I could have been passed up for other "non-ethnic" sounding names.
Originally Posted by cocodej
My name isn't "ethnic" but I've contemplated lying about my race. I know discrimination happens but it doesn't take away the fact that it's frustrating. But I decide against lying about myself because what good will that do in the long run? I'm not gonna paint my skin white so I'm better off being honest about who I am. If a company doesn't want to hire me because I'm black then I'm glad they didn't call me anyway.
Originally Posted by CocoT
I can definitely agree with that instance, but it may be that the HR person is the one who is biased. What if just getting in the door is harder because of discrimination, yet the company culture or department you will be in is another matter? I wonder if anyone has done a piece or some research on HR culture; that could go really far in helping job searches.
Originally Posted by cocodej
Good point. It can also be the other way around. The department/company culture could be unwelcoming and discriminatory while HR can be the opposite. In either scenario I'm still screwed by racism.lol

Any way you spin it, I as the job seeker can't control those things. How and where racism and discrimination will arise are beyond my control. I can only be who I am and hope they give me a chance for reasons beyond my skin color or appearance. Even my gender can prevent me from getting in the door to some places.

I think race, age and sex should be left off of job applications.

This would certainly be an interesting research project.
Jo Somebody and cocodej like this.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG
My name isn't "ethnic" but I've contemplated lying about my race. I know discrimination happens but it doesn't take away the fact that it's frustrating. But I decide against lying about myself because what good will that do in the long run? I'm not gonna paint my skin white so I'm better off being honest about who I am. If a company doesn't want to hire me because I'm black then I'm glad they didn't call me anyway.
Originally Posted by CocoT
I can definitely agree with that instance, but it may be that the HR person is the one who is biased. What if just getting in the door is harder because of discrimination, yet the company culture or department you will be in is another matter? I wonder if anyone has done a piece or some research on HR culture; that could go really far in helping job searches.
Originally Posted by cocodej
Good point. It can also be the other way around. The department/company culture could be unwelcoming and discriminatory while HR can be the opposite. In either scenario I'm still screwed by racism.lol

Any way you spin it, I as the job seeker can't control those things. How and where racism and discrimination will arise are beyond my control. I can only be who I am and hope they give me a chance for reasons beyond my skin color or appearance. Even my gender can prevent me from getting in the door to some places.

I think race, age and sex should be left off of job applications.

This would certainly be an interesting research project.
Originally Posted by CocoT
I wish there was a site or coalition of companies that committed to blind hiring procedures, where only education and/or experience were considered. Even references could be submitted without race, gender, or age specific information. I guess I will keep dreaming...
James Baldwin
A Talk To Teachers
[...]
one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
[...]

Monster & other job sites are not to blame. Its HR people. Sometimes ppl of color in hiring positions being biased.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
Originally Posted by ss40
This case is the saddest of all. Even if the person was under pressure to be biased, I just don't see how they could stay in that role. I know some don't have the financial flexibility to be selective, but personally it would worry my conscience.
James Baldwin
A Talk To Teachers
[...]
one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
[...]

Monster & other job sites are not to blame. Its HR people. Sometimes ppl of color in hiring positions being biased.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
Originally Posted by ss40
This case is the saddest of all. Even if the person was under pressure to be biased, I just don't see how they could stay in that role. I know some don't have the financial flexibility to be selective, but personally it would worry my conscience.
Originally Posted by cocodej
I have an issue like that now. I work for a place that represents defendants in,discrimination lawsuits. Its a real moral issue for me. So was going for another job. Now that I got one I'm leaving.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
My HR dept just takes applications and forwards them to the department heads. a lot of people send resumes directly to department heads.
Do you guys think the issue is ethnic first names or last names or both? it seems to me certain last names would be giveaways to if someone is Asian, Latino, ect.
I used to date a guy last name Mohammad from Africa and he told me most people he knew by that name in the US were using a different name because of discrimination.
My first name is "ethnic" depending on how you pronounce it.
My HR dept just takes applications and forwards them to the department heads. a lot of people send resumes directly to department heads.
Do you guys think the issue is ethnic first names or last names or both? it seems to me certain last names would be giveaways to if someone is Asian, Latino, ect.
I used to date a guy last name Mohammad from Africa and he told me most people he knew by that name in the US were using a different name because of discrimination.
My first name is "ethnic" depending on how you pronounce it.
Originally Posted by adthomas
I believe its last names. But it could be both. My last name is Arabic my first is Italian. When ppl meet me in interviews they expect someone else. For a very long time I was getting no response to my applications. I contemplated using my maiden name which is unmistakeably American but then I got a call.

There are some employers who jump on diverse names when hiring & are disappointed that its a regular old African American female when the interview comes.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
About my hair:
weekly shampoo-HE Honey I'm Strong
daily conditioner-HE Honey I'm Strong (use as li)
go to style-Pocahontas braids
Monster & other job sites are not to blame. Its HR people. Sometimes ppl of color in hiring positions being biased.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
Originally Posted by ss40
This case is the saddest of all. Even if the person was under pressure to be biased, I just don't see how they could stay in that role. I know some don't have the financial flexibility to be selective, but personally it would worry my conscience.
Originally Posted by cocodej
I have an issue like that now. I work for a place that represents defendants in,discrimination lawsuits. Its a real moral issue for me. So was going for another job. Now that I got one I'm leaving.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
Originally Posted by ss40
I must be really late or have very bad memory, congratulations on the new job lady!

My HR dept just takes applications and forwards them to the department heads. a lot of people send resumes directly to department heads.
Do you guys think the issue is ethnic first names or last names or both? it seems to me certain last names would be giveaways to if someone is Asian, Latino, ect.
I used to date a guy last name Mohammad from Africa and he told me most people he knew by that name in the US were using a different name because of discrimination.
My first name is "ethnic" depending on how you pronounce it.
Originally Posted by adthomas
I think it is both. Any way that someone can "identify" you, they will. In the case of your first name having multiple pronunciations, they will use your last name as a guide, IMO. When you meet someone for the first time that knows your name, but has never had a conversation with you, do they pronounce your name in an "ethnic" way? My last name is a dead give away. They normally just give up and call me by my first name which is Christian, even when it is inappropriate (professional settings).
James Baldwin
A Talk To Teachers
[...]
one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
[...]

My cousin is the Debil! I cannot stop eating these Maltesers she brought me!
James Baldwin
A Talk To Teachers
[...]
one of the paradoxes of education [is] that precisely at the point when you begin to develop a conscience, you must find yourself at war with your society. It is your responsibility to change society
[...]

I know that if I ever somehow become a mom I would want to name my kid,if a girl, Skylar.
Last relaxer: Nov. 24, 2008
BC: December 19, 2009
Products: Whatever works!

This case is the saddest of all. Even if the person was under pressure to be biased, I just don't see how they could stay in that role. I know some don't have the financial flexibility to be selective, but personally it would worry my conscience.
Originally Posted by cocodej
I have an issue like that now. I work for a place that represents defendants in,discrimination lawsuits. Its a real moral issue for me. So was going for another job. Now that I got one I'm leaving.

Every teardrop is a waterfall
Originally Posted by ss40
I must be really late or have very bad memory, congratulations on the new job lady!

My HR dept just takes applications and forwards them to the department heads. a lot of people send resumes directly to department heads.
Do you guys think the issue is ethnic first names or last names or both? it seems to me certain last names would be giveaways to if someone is Asian, Latino, ect.
I used to date a guy last name Mohammad from Africa and he told me most people he knew by that name in the US were using a different name because of discrimination.
My first name is "ethnic" depending on how you pronounce it.
Originally Posted by adthomas
I think it is both. Any way that someone can "identify" you, they will. In the case of your first name having multiple pronunciations, they will use your last name as a guide, IMO. When you meet someone for the first time that knows your name, but has never had a conversation with you, do they pronounce your name in an "ethnic" way? My last name is a dead give away. They normally just give up and call me by my first name which is Christian, even when it is inappropriate (professional settings).
Originally Posted by cocodej
My first name is Andrea. Honestly, I get more people pronouncing my name the first time as the Spanish/Italian way although my last name is non-ethnic. I think it is a matter maybe of where people are from and how the people they know with that name pronounce it.
My mother told us that when she named me and my sisters that she purposely chose names that wouldn't get us pre-judged by small-minded individuals.

That being said, I've met both black and white ladies with my first name, and I've seen an equal number of blacks/whites with my maiden name. My married name is NOT common at all (just did a google search, one source said there were less than 10K in the US; 55% of them being white), so both as a single and now married I've been able to fly under the "name radar"...

...which leads me to a similar predicament that the article's author mentioned - an EEO survey.

Being recently laid off (another topic, if not for the Lord on my side I'd still be pretty salty about it), I had to go online to file my unemployment claim, which included an EEO survey. One of the options was to choose not to indicate race, but to me that's a dead giveaway --> Why would a person choose not to indicate their race unless they were something other than white?

So I bit the bullet and indicated that I'm a black woman. But a small part of me wouldn't be surprised if I run into a glitch or miss out on any potential employment leads if someone comes across my EEO profile. We shall see...


I strongly desire these shoes in my life.
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds

-Albert Einstein
Discounts:iHerb: EZA283 for $5 off!, OCO522 for $10 off first purchase | Komaza Care Referral Code: J5Q362VG

Trending Topics


Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:17 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com