Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 4

Like Tree27Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #41
 
FabledBeauty's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 145
Default

I absolutely love this thread because my levels of guilt were starting to get out of control... the only way Ive been able to combat this is accept that hair is hair and itll grow when it pleases...

I hate sleeping with my head wrapped and somehow always end up sleeing on the NON satin case...

If a product smells divine its a must have.. and like a previous poster im guilty of choosing a better smelling product over a natural one...

Ive been having DREAMS of dying my hair and its killing me on the inside...

I dont think I can ever give up brushes completely...

And my personal favorite...

I dont use heat but damn it if I dont have the WORST hand in hair syndrome EVER.. I might need counseling for my edges.. I guess im still amazed that they can actually grow? its bad but i catch my hand in my hair at least 30 times a day... and when its in braids? give it a week and somehow ive pulled some baby hairs OUT of the braids to play with them and end up having to re do the braids... sigh
__________________

Getting there slowly but surely!

Natural Since the Beginning of January 2011!
Current: Full Collar Bone
Texture: 3B/C & 4A
Goal: APL by New Years 2013

See my Natural Journey on Fotki: www.fotki.com/fabledbeauty

Current Favs<3 Taaliah Waajid Curly Curl Cream, Vegetable Glycerin and Pure Argan Oil!!!
FabledBeauty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 05:31 AM   #42
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 123
Default

I do what I want to my hair. I could care less about the "rules" of being natural. I do prefer the way my hair feels without silicone products, but I'll comb my hair with a rat tail comb in a red hot second, I may use products that contain mineral oil, wax or parabens (oh, the horror).
__________________
My hair: thick, medium/coarse, high porosity in the crown naturally, normal porosity everywhere else.

Currently using...
Poo: Loreal Ever Curl Sulfate Free poo
Rinse out: Aussie Moist/Tresemme Flawless Curls
Leave-in: JC Hydrate Smoothing leave-in/Deva One C
DC: Crece Pelo Treatment/Camille Rose Algae Deep cond/Curl Junkie Rehab
Stylers: Super Wet original gel/Extreme Wetline gel
Oils: EVCO, Castor Oil
Moisturizer: Oyin Hair Dew
Sealant: Oyin pomades or KBB Butter Love
myhairDOTcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:18 PM   #43
 
nic51091's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 16
Default

I use gels with silicone in it, I use sulfate shampoo (much less though!!), I don't cut my ends as often as I should. I think that's about it... lol.

Sent from my SGH-T589 using CurlTalk App
nic51091 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 12:50 PM   #44
 
BlackAngelPlayah's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,403
Default

I stopped using SLS shampoos, but I still use cones. >_<

I just bought this
What Natural 'rules' do you break?-imageuploadedbycurltalk1347043695.568139.jpg

And it says no mineral oil... But it has PETROLATUM!! Da FUQ?! False advertise much?

Not sure how I'm loving that product. I don't see myself buying it again.

This however

What Natural 'rules' do you break?-imageuploadedbycurltalk1347043803.757474.jpg

Has potential... And beeswax... And I'm pretty sure PROTEIN and cones.

I be f'ing up, mane..
__________________
FroZen
BlackAngelPlayah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 01:05 PM   #45
 
coilynapp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 4,213
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackAngelPlayah View Post
I stopped using SLS shampoos, but I still use cones. >_<

I just bought this
Attachment 24262

And it says no mineral oil... But it has PETROLATUM!! Da FUQ?! False advertise much?

Not sure how I'm loving that product. I don't see myself buying it again.

This however

Attachment 24264

Has potential... And beeswax... And I'm pretty sure PROTEIN and cones.

I be f'ing up, mane..
Not false

Mineral oil is not Petrolatum. They are different products. They are both petro-derived but they are not the same.

Mineral is a light emollient, petrolatum is a thicker product. Think of baby oil vs. vaseline.
__________________
coilynapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 12:05 PM   #46
 
hippychic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 4,670
Default

  • don't shampoo in sections
  • use sulfate shampoos ('natural' kinds stripped)
  • don't deep condition
  • color my hair as often as i want with box dye
  • bleach my hair platinum blonde
  • don't sleep in satin bonnet or scarf
  • don't sleep on satin pillowcase
  • shampoo daily
  • use gel daily
  • big chop often
  • don't protective style 4 growth, if at all (just lazy towards my hair)
  • use mineral oil
  • don't continuously buy the next, new, organic hair product
  • don't worry about dew points
  • don't focus on length, grow methods, miracle hair pills
  • wear wigs (again if i feel lazy)
  • don't focus on curl popping nor texture typing products
Yltnelis likes this.
__________________
LOIS (OS); cottony, TYPE 4 hair, fine/med strands; no cones bcz my hair hates them; last relaxer '98; now low porosity, ignores most natural hair rules; BC #8

faves: suave, v05 shampoo, conditioner (my own), raw shea butter, castor oil, peanut oil, aloe juice
hippychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:01 PM   #47
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 216
Default

I really like this topic.

I still do the following:

Use sulfate shampoo
Use comb and brush
Blow dry
Use cones (sometimes)
Detangle from the root instead of the ends first
Sistapopdemcurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:12 AM   #48
 
Calber's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sistapopdemcurl View Post
I really like this topic.

I still do the following:

Use sulfate shampoo
Use comb and brush
Blow dry
Use cones (sometimes)
Detangle from the root instead of the ends first
All of the above, plus I use a towel to dry my hair after washing! Is there any hope for me...


💐 Sent from my iPhone4 with CurlTalk app 💋
honeysweet20 likes this.
__________________
I have to shower in order to wake up properly in the mornings
Calber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:11 AM   #49
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 1,387
Default

I still use shampoo esp. Creme of Nature because it feels good.
I use grease
I only wash my hair once or twice a month.
I use products with beeswax
I dye my hair using a semi-permanent or semi-rinse color.
I don't drink 6 to 8 glasses of water a day, maybe 2.
I use a comb on my hair, that finger detangling only don't always work
ollie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #50
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 2,299
Default

But... Drinking water is good for your overall health, not just your hair. That's not a natural hair rule, it's a a take care of your body rule...

On my EVO... I'm too fancy to proofread.
darlingdiva and Jo Somebody like this.
__________________
Keenylicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #51
 
ravenm721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80
Default

I have resolved to using straight up silicone serums to seal in moisture. Try living in Southern Louisiana and see how long ur braid/twist outs will last here from the humidity...

Once if gets cold here (usually doesnt happen until late Decemeber/early Januaury), then I will back away from the cones.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
coilynapp likes this.
__________________
Hair Type: 4D/5A living in sub-tropical humidity hell
•BC'ed after 22 months of transitioning (May 2012)
•Check out my YT playlist for Transitioning Styles :


Last edited by ravenm721; 09-12-2012 at 01:24 PM.
ravenm721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:15 AM   #52
 
bklyn_belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 423
Default

I have not used hair oil in days. I just jump in the shower come out add conditioner and some ampro gel slick it in a bun and bounce. Fashion Week had me up early and home late so I had no time at all so give my hair some TLC. However I will this weekend!
__________________
Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com
bklyn_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 10:18 AM   #53
 
bklyn_belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FabledBeauty View Post
I absolutely love this thread because my levels of guilt were starting to get out of control... the only way Ive been able to combat this is accept that hair is hair and itll grow when it pleases...

I hate sleeping with my head wrapped and somehow always end up sleeing on the NON satin case...

If a product smells divine its a must have.. and like a previous poster im guilty of choosing a better smelling product over a natural one...

Ive been having DREAMS of dying my hair and its killing me on the inside...

I dont think I can ever give up brushes completely...

And my personal favorite...

I dont use heat but damn it if I dont have the WORST hand in hair syndrome EVER.. I might need counseling for my edges.. I guess im still amazed that they can actually grow? its bad but i catch my hand in my hair at least 30 times a day... and when its in braids? give it a week and somehow ive pulled some baby hairs OUT of the braids to play with them and end up having to re do the braids... sigh
Girl I used to feel the 'guilt' too when I blew my hair out in a big fro often like 'Am I still really a natural since I use heat?' Well last time I checked natural is whatever grows out of your head. I put it like this...are straight haired women not natural because they use flat irons and blow dryers everyday? LOL gtfoh!
__________________
Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com
bklyn_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 01:34 PM   #54
 
bklyn_belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 423
Default

Does anyone straighten? Do you prefer a small toothed comb or a round brush to chase? I use the round brush because my hair is very coarse and I find it easier to maneuver but I may try a rat tail comb. Thoughts?
__________________
Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com
bklyn_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:48 AM   #55
 
evelynnalfred's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 325
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippychic View Post
  • don't shampoo in sections
  • use sulfate shampoos ('natural' kinds stripped)
  • don't deep condition
  • color my hair as often as i want with box dye
  • bleach my hair platinum blonde
  • don't sleep in satin bonnet or scarf
  • don't sleep on satin pillowcase
  • shampoo daily
  • use gel daily
  • big chop often
  • don't protective style 4 growth, if at all (just lazy towards my hair)
  • use mineral oil
  • don't continuously buy the next, new, organic hair product
  • don't worry about dew points
  • don't focus on length, grow methods, miracle hair pills
  • wear wigs (again if i feel lazy)
  • don't focus on curl popping nor texture typing products
I do about a third of these, like not always covering my hair at night and sectioning my hair while washing.
evelynnalfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 08:48 PM   #56
 
Curly_Jammy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 626
Default

I don't sleep with a scarf
I don't put oils on my hair before bed
Some of my fave products have cones, but low on the list.

The natural rules I found most effective.

Deep Condition often
Practice low manipulation
Keep hair Moisturized
Dust ends

Have helped me grow Long Healthy Hair.
__________________
3c, fine, porous,MBL
Pre: EVCO Poo: GTTT DC:AO GPB, TJ Nourish Spa+EVOO
LI: Cantu Shea butter LI, YesToCarrots,(AVJ+H2O) Spritz
Style: AVG, Eco Seal: Qp Mango & Olive oil, Shea AloeMix
Curly_Jammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 01:14 PM   #57
 
ravenm721's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 80
Default

I broke a new rule today.I now use the tension method (AKA blow dryer) for my Wash n goes. I use four sections and pass the blow dry over them on warm for 5 mins or so..

The tension method has given my Wash n go:
-More Volume
-Less Shrinkage/Mullet looking hair
-Way less crunchy hair...even with gels applied
-Don't have to worry about a wet head

If I were to air dry or use other methods, then I receive the opposite of this. The crunch would be unavoidable too..no matter how much conditioner/oils I use beneath the gels.Due to only wearing WNGS less than 2xs a month, I'm not worried about damage.
__________________
Hair Type: 4D/5A living in sub-tropical humidity hell
•BC'ed after 22 months of transitioning (May 2012)
•Check out my YT playlist for Transitioning Styles :

ravenm721 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:23 AM   #58
 
rmc2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 349
Default

I do not trim my hair It has been almost a year. It it ain't broke why fix it. I have no split ends etc so why trim?
rmc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #59
 
bklyn_belle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 423
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmc2 View Post
I do not trim my hair It has been almost a year. It it ain't broke why fix it. I have no split ends etc so why trim?
Hmm interesting, I trim once in a while but I do think it is necessary IF your ends ever get really unhealthy.
__________________
Texture: proud 4a (3c at the nape).
Regimen: co-wash everyday.deep condition, de-tangle and seal once a week.
Current Favs: Treseme Naturals shampoo & conditioner, wide tooth comb, coconut oil, Shea Moisture curling smoothie, ampro clear styling gel .
Protective Style: buns

visit my fashion & culture website: http://www.beautyandthestreetmag.blogspot.com
bklyn_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 06:39 AM   #60
 
GoldenBlaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 337
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenm721 View Post
I have resolved to using straight up silicone serums to seal in moisture. Try living in Southern Louisiana and see how long ur braid/twist outs will last here from the humidity...

Once if gets cold here (usually doesnt happen until late Decemeber/early Januaury), then I will back away from the cones.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using CurlTalk App
I live in Memphis and humidity is almost as bad as the bayou. Frizzy and poofy hair is almost a given so during certian times of the year, I have to use products that helps with this. Cones help my hair to deal with those conditions. During winter, I use conditioners with mineral oils and or petroleum. They are great for keeping your hair protected against the dry, cold air. I mostly try to use products without the alleged "bad" stuff, but to me, use what works for YOUR hair.
GoldenBlaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com