Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 4

Like Tree3Likes

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-30-2012, 05:05 AM   #1
 
reednaturally22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Default What's the fuss about glycerin?

Can anyone please clear the air for me on this ingredient? How is it in cold and warm weather? It seems like this is often a no-no for many naturals. I can't seem to figure out why. Everything I read just confuses me.
reednaturally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 06:31 AM   #2
 
itsKelCeeEee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1,072
Send a message via AIM to itsKelCeeEee Send a message via Skype™ to itsKelCeeEee
Default

Dew points.
Some naturals use different products in their hair depending on dew points outside. One of them will explainit better because I don't pay attention to them nor do I use too much glycerin in my products anyway (coincidence). So I don't want to explain it wrong. But badically, the higher a dew point, the frizzier your hair gets when glycerin's used because it draws the moisture out the air to your hair.

...or the other way around...? O_o
__________________

Big Chop: 11/25/09
Cottony/fluffy, medium/coarse, high density & porosity
SL - APL - BSB - BSL - MBL - WL - HL
itsKelCeeEee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
 
multicultcurly's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 2,918
Default

Glycerin is not good to use in extremely humid or dry weather. Glycerin draws the moisture to what is drier. Since I live in a desert, using products with lots of glycerin makes my hair dry and brittle because the glycerin takes away moisture from the hair and gives it to the drier air. Glycerin itself isn't bad; it depends on the climate and dew point.
__________________
3b/c, medium-coarse, low porosity, high density
HG: Jessicurl Too Shea and Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Shampoo: nonsulfate shampoo and Suave Naturals sulfate shampoo when needed
multicultcurly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:01 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 85
Default

Well for me avoid it all cost. I can't use any products with glycerin in it. It does not matter how small the ratio is or how far down on the ingredient list it appears. The product will make my hair hard and brittle. Glycerin always make my hair dry and hard. I tried it on wet hair, dry hair, homemade mixtures, heavy handed, light handed, low dew point, high dew points. It just does not work for me. I can put the product in my hair and it will look cute but once my hair dries it is a serious brillo pad. This was a hard lesson to learn because just about every product that is out there has glycerin in it. I could never figure out why my hair was so dry.
lady1gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 11:32 AM   #5
 
reednaturally22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Default

So is glycerin basically a humectant?
reednaturally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:02 PM   #6
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 200
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady1gryphon View Post
Well for me avoid it all cost. I can't use any products with glycerin in it. It does not matter how small the ratio is or how far down on the ingredient list it appears. The product will make my hair hard and brittle. Glycerin always make my hair dry and hard. I tried it on wet hair, dry hair, homemade mixtures, heavy handed, light handed, low dew point, high dew points. It just does not work for me. I can put the product in my hair and it will look cute but once my hair dries it is a serious brillo pad. This was a hard lesson to learn because just about every product that is out there has glycerin in it. I could never figure out why my hair was so dry.
+1 - my issue exactly.
__________________
Team Wash and Go!
redlipstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 12:16 PM   #7
 
artemis513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post
So is glycerin basically a humectant?
That's exactly what it is.

Further, the more porous your hair is the more that humectant use in the appropriate dew points will be relevant to your hair. Ultimately just try to keep your hair as moisturized as possible and monitor how your hair reacts to different ingredients in different dews. You'll then figure out how much concern you need to have re. dews and humectants. Everyone's hair is different, but paying attention to dew points can help choose the right products/ingredients if you find your hair is more sensitive.
curlypearl likes this.
__________________
4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
My Fotki
My Blog
artemis513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 01:13 PM   #8
 
reednaturally22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post
So is glycerin basically a humectant?
That's exactly what it is.

Further, the more porous your hair is the more that humectant use in the appropriate dew points will be relevant to your hair. Ultimately just try to keep your hair as moisturized as possible and monitor how your hair reacts to different ingredients in different dews. You'll then figure out how much concern you need to have re. dews and humectants. Everyone's hair is different, but paying attention to dew points can help choose the right products/ingredients if you find your hair is more sensitive.
I'm assuming KCCC has humectants as well and that's why my hair loved it in the summer. However, once cold weather hit I noticed my hair was drier in the crown and around the front of my face. Not a significant amount but enough for ME to notice.
reednaturally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #9
 
artemis513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post
So is glycerin basically a humectant?
That's exactly what it is.

Further, the more porous your hair is the more that humectant use in the appropriate dew points will be relevant to your hair. Ultimately just try to keep your hair as moisturized as possible and monitor how your hair reacts to different ingredients in different dews. You'll then figure out how much concern you need to have re. dews and humectants. Everyone's hair is different, but paying attention to dew points can help choose the right products/ingredients if you find your hair is more sensitive.
I'm assuming KCCC has humectants as well and that's why my hair loved it in the summer. However, once cold weather hit I noticed my hair was drier in the crown and around the front of my face. Not a significant amount but enough for ME to notice.
Yeah, it has agave nectar. I personally don't like to single out one ingredient as the cause of like or dislike of a product or the deciding factor on performance. But humectants in a higher concentration in a product being used in a climate where the dew is low will produce those kind of results. You can just seal with an anti-humectant to counteract the effect if you don't want to switch out your products.
__________________
4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
My Fotki
My Blog
artemis513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 09:30 PM   #10
 
reednaturally22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis513 View Post

That's exactly what it is.

Further, the more porous your hair is the more that humectant use in the appropriate dew points will be relevant to your hair. Ultimately just try to keep your hair as moisturized as possible and monitor how your hair reacts to different ingredients in different dews. You'll then figure out how much concern you need to have re. dews and humectants. Everyone's hair is different, but paying attention to dew points can help choose the right products/ingredients if you find your hair is more sensitive.
I'm assuming KCCC has humectants as well and that's why my hair loved it in the summer. However, once cold weather hit I noticed my hair was drier in the crown and around the front of my face. Not a significant amount but enough for ME to notice.
Yeah, it has agave nectar. I personally don't like to single out one ingredient as the cause of like or dislike of a product or the deciding factor on performance. But humectants in a higher concentration in a product being used in a climate where the dew is low will produce those kind of results. You can just seal with an anti-humectant to counteract the effect if you don't want to switch out your products.
I never thought of that. Would you mind naming some on the ground anti-humectants for me?
reednaturally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2012, 10:21 PM   #11
 
Knotty_Maddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 478
Default

you can also check which products don't have humectants - or do have them - using the left hand lower side of the product filter on the reviews page... just check the "anti-humectant" box and then enter your potential product you want to try in the search bar. If it is anti-humectant, it will appear as a search result...and when you click on the product to read the review on it, there will be several (or a few) icon boxes below the product, stating what is or isn't in it - just hover your mouse arrow over the boxes, and you will see a small text box describing the icon.

If you already know all that, then sorry to be obtuse ;p if you didn't know that, then maybe it will help you find your products hth!
curlypearl likes this.
__________________
Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
My hair officially hates protein Once a month is enough!
Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay!
BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
Knotty_Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2012, 03:29 AM   #12
 
reednaturally22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotty_Maddy View Post
you can also check which products don't have humectants - or do have them - using the left hand lower side of the product filter on the reviews page... just check the "anti-humectant" box and then enter your potential product you want to try in the search bar. If it is anti-humectant, it will appear as a search result...and when you click on the product to read the review on it, there will be several (or a few) icon boxes below the product, stating what is or isn't in it - just hover your mouse arrow over the boxes, and you will see a small text box describing the icon.

If you already know all that, then sorry to be obtuse ;p if you didn't know that, then maybe it will help you find your products hth!
Thank you!!
reednaturally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 11:25 AM   #13
 
Who Me?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Posts: 6,010
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by multicultcurly View Post
Glycerin is not good to use in extremely humid or dry weather. Glycerin draws the moisture to what is drier. Since I live in a desert, using products with lots of glycerin makes my hair dry and brittle because the glycerin takes away moisture from the hair and gives it to the drier air. Glycerin itself isn't bad; it depends on the climate and dew point.
I think this explains a lot! I just started another post and was about to ask about glycerin, and decided to do a search first instead. I was just reading through the ingredients of the Deva products I use, and they all have glycerin. That might explain why in the last month or so since the air has been so dry that my hair is a mess.
__________________
"I don't know! I don't know why I did it, I don't know why I enjoyed it, and I don't know why I'll do it again!" -BART SIMPSON
Who Me? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
 
LISA LISA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 560
Default

Here's a question - does it only cause ill-effects when it is used as a leave-in?

I use straight glycerin regularly all year round - in the shower. After I get my CO wash condish distributed through my hair, I put a good palmful of glycerin in with it. I continue to CO for a few minutes, then rinse out. Then I follow with another round of just condish. My hair is nothing short of awesome. I do this once a week.

I honestly have never used it as a leave-in. Maybe that's the issue?
sewt15 likes this.
__________________
APL - BSL - WL - HL - BCL - TBL
LISA LISA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:20 PM   #15
 
artemis513's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 573
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by artemis513 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by reednaturally22 View Post

I'm assuming KCCC has humectants as well and that's why my hair loved it in the summer. However, once cold weather hit I noticed my hair was drier in the crown and around the front of my face. Not a significant amount but enough for ME to notice.
Yeah, it has agave nectar. I personally don't like to single out one ingredient as the cause of like or dislike of a product or the deciding factor on performance. But humectants in a higher concentration in a product being used in a climate where the dew is low will produce those kind of results. You can just seal with an anti-humectant to counteract the effect if you don't want to switch out your products.
I never thought of that. Would you mind naming some on the ground anti-humectants for me?
Anything that has occlusive ("sealants") ingredients in it (oils, butters, silicones, etc) is fair game. It's up to you.
__________________
4a/3c, fine strands, low porosity, medium density
Last relaxer: Jan 2010 - BC'd: 2/27/11
My Fotki
My Blog
artemis513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:39 PM   #16
 
gardencurls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 404
Default

Lots and lots of people disagree, so I'm not recommending this, but - during really low dew points (when the Frizz Forecast tells me my curls will be "limp"), I find products with...**Jaws theme here**...silicones, instead of glycerin, seem to really help keep my hair from drying out. "Dimethicone" (an anti-humectant) in some stylers and "Amodimethicone" in my cleanser are my guilty secrets. I don't use silicone combos, or, as far as I'm aware, any silicones other than these two. I think they help seal in moisture and give some weight to my hair, so I don't have to walk around looking like a Sim that got struck by a meteor. (Sims 3 fans get it)

I have super dry hair, and I color it, which increases dryness. During low dew points, my hair resembles the looped side of velcro, only it's not that soft. It knots and tangles and quite often the only remedy is chopping out the knots. My favorite "cg approved" products don't always make the cut when it's dry season, and somehow my hair is both limp, and frizzy, and it feels like frayed burlap.

Oddly, protein, which can really mess up my hair, doesn't seem to be as much of an enemy during low dew points. After trial and error I decided what was really causing trouble was glycerin. It's all right in small levels, or in highly highly moisturizing products (like Coffee Coco Curl Cream applied heavily), but gels or creams that are glycerin-based definitely make my hair even drier.

Avoiding glycerin really seems to help, along with DTs at least once a week and using extra leave-in.
__________________
3b, Coarse, Low Porosity, Desert Climate
Favorites: CK Knot Today, Mystic Divine Shampoo, Conditioner & Curl Cream, Miracle 7 Heavenly Healer Shampoo & Leave-in, Miss Jessie's Quick Curls, Ouidad Climate Control Gel
gardencurls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 PM   #17
 
reednaturally22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LISA LISA View Post
Here's a question - does it only cause ill-effects when it is used as a leave-in?

I use straight glycerin regularly all year round - in the shower. After I get my CO wash condish distributed through my hair, I put a good palmful of glycerin in with it. I continue to CO for a few minutes, then rinse out. Then I follow with another round of just condish. My hair is nothing short of awesome. I do this once a week.

I honestly have never used it as a leave-in. Maybe that's the issue?
I'm not an expert on this obviously, since I posted the question. However i would think using it as a leave in would be the problem because more of it stays in your hair.
reednaturally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #18
 
Knotty_Maddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 478
Default

I live in a cold and dry climate, and my hair likes glycerin ;p I apply after leave in but before styling products, and seal hair with hard gel. Makes my beachy-curl S hair turn into corkscrew ringlets...I also have some glycerin in my hair products. It makes my hair behave, so I love it! (mind you, I am not doing CGM, so it might be the cones ;p )

So I guess your hair's personal likes and dislikes are more of a factor than the weather...? Not sure!
__________________
Finer, mixed with coarser strands, low-porosity, wavy curly whirly hair...3A, 2C hair. Medium thickness, medium elasticity.
S-shaped hair with corkscrew ends. My hair is even more confused than me ;p
My hair officially hates protein Once a month is enough!
Currently a fan of TiGi products, (rock on, TiGi Curlesque styling creme!) but that will soon change - I am a self-avowed product junkie! Yay!
BIG fan of supersoaker method - thanks Rudeechick!
Knotty_Maddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
 
sewt15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 115
Default

I use straight glycerin all year round as a leave in, put it in my deep condish, and all my products have glycerin in it (coincidence) and my hair LOVES IT. My hair doesnt do too well with oils, especially straight oils, on my hair. Experiment and see what works for you.
__________________



sewt15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2012, 06:02 AM   #20
 
reednaturally22's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 49
Default

I just washed and styled my hair with my HG KCKT and KCCC. My hair is doing just fine so me and humectants must get along. 😊
reednaturally22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com