Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 4

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-02-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
 
foxycus02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to foxycus02
Default In the world of butters...Where does JC N&S stand?

Good morning ladies,

I need your pj insight :P . I dug up my barely used JC N&S and have been scrunching it in on dry hair after I diffuse. I pretty much use it to remove the slight gel crunch that Devacare Arc angell leaves behind.

I would just like to know how it compares to the other butters and cremes you guys use - Particularly
Qhemet - burdock root and the heavy cream
KBB

I have a bday trip coming up this month and I'm really trying to be budget conscious. So I don't want to buy anything new if it will do the same thing of a product I already have.
__________________

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...



foxycus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
 
foxycus02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to foxycus02
Default

empress ... sbb..curlynikki.. the rest of ya'll. I know you all use them butters - don't play with me!

just kidding - please share the info

I'll be waiting in my corner till ya do.
__________________

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...




Last edited by foxycus02; 09-02-2008 at 07:31 PM.
foxycus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:28 PM   #3
 
curlynikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,468
Default

jane carter nourish and shine...its aiight

I like it on wet or dry ends...thats about it. I don't like the gritty application, or heaviness. I rec' it for people looking for a heavy butter. I like Qhemet's AOHC much better!
__________________
The Blog: www.curlynikki.com


Last edited by curlynikki; 09-02-2008 at 07:31 PM.
curlynikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:31 PM   #4
 
foxycus02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to foxycus02
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlynikki View Post
jane carter nourish and shine...its aiight

I like it on wet or dry ends...thats about it. I don't like the gritty application.
How could I forget you? I need to edit my sad post. Ditto on the gritty application. The lingering lemony scent sometimes bothers me. How does it compare to your other butters? particularly one that doesn't have wax in it.
__________________

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...



foxycus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:50 PM   #5
 
curlynikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,468
Default

....eh, its very moisturizing, but not worth the money. I gave it away to one of my curly friends. I've learned that butters aren't for my 'out' styles. Since I've been enjoying this twist-n-curl soooo much, there hasn't been much need for my Qhemet either. Don't you have fine strands too? It (and all other buttery products) totally weighs my hair down if used on dry hair. My dry hair DOESN'T like heavy butters. I need water based moisturizers for day 2 and 3 hair. What are you trying to achieve... I bet i can guess, lol. Moisture that lasts for days on end? If you come up with a solution, clue me in, please My t-n-c would easily last for a week, but the ends get way too dry and I get worried that they'll split. This is why I do my hair every 2nd or 3rd day.

As of late, the most moisturizing products in my arsenal are:

-Jessicurl WDT ( I can apply to second day hair without weighing it down)
-Devacare One C (I can apply to second day hair without weighing it down)
-Pantene Relaxed and Natural DC Mask (if you don't mind a cone, this is the best darned DT I've ever used)
-Hello Hydration (its great for a cheapie)

Others:
-SheaMoisture Sheabutter- stopped working for me
-AOHC- great butter but I only use for buns now
-Shea Butter- Not for me
-Jane Carter Hair Nourishing Creme- okay...
__________________
The Blog: www.curlynikki.com


Last edited by curlynikki; 09-02-2008 at 07:56 PM.
curlynikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:36 PM   #6
 
Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,020
Default

For me it stands at the top! I just started my second tub. Aside from Burdock Cream, it's the only one I use on wet hair that I can smooth on my ends over a conditioner and it moisturizes, helps define the curl, and keeps your hair soft and not dry and crispy on the 2nd day. I use some on dry hair for instant softness. However alone on dry hair it can loosen/frizz curl, so I use under Set It Free. It doesn't mix well with Set it Free-- I scrunch a little N&S in first, then a mix of SIF and Jessicurl WDT scrunched in over that, and can you say moist, and soft, and still defined curls? I revisited Qhemet AOHC and I still think N&S is better for my hair.

Now Burdock Cream is nice to use under Qhemet Honeybush gel or under Knot Today before KCCC. Can't do N&S and KCCC together because it "unravels" the KCCC hold. And Burdock is also a nice booster for conditioner leave-ins, helping to define. And it does give hair added volume.

Jane Carter Nourishing cream - mehh. I bought some because they were out of the N&S - ended up buying the N&S

Sheamoisture - you need strong hands to get it out of the bottle and patience to let it absorb. You also need a lot compared to Jessicurl WDT. It's a good leave-in, but I don't use anymore

Jessicurl WDT - I was using only as a hairdress on dry hair, now I'm layering as a leave-in on wet. I can't use it as the only leave in because alone it can break up my curl and shrink it. But layered over a conditioner? Sweet!

And Devacurl Set it Free! Still use! It's all additive for me.
__________________
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:51 PM   #7
 
curlynikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,468
Default

Right! How did I miss SIF!!! I love that stuff My hair loves it!!!! I'm only using it on dry hair now by the way...
__________________
The Blog: www.curlynikki.com

curlynikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #8
 
teshon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 1,127
Default

Quote:
SheaMoisture Sheabutter- stopped working for me
Me too! Don't know why tho? I've tried KBB butter and JC N&S. JC N&S smells so good to me that I just want to use it as a body oil....I hated it on my hair. I gave up! IMO, it definitely works best on dry hair...that basically goes for all butters. The KBB seemed ok, but I ordered the wrong scent vanilla latte. It was wayyyy too sweet! I may learn to appreciate butters some day, but for now they don't really have a place in my routine.
__________________
3c-4a; Protein Sensitive(forms of wheat, keratin, soy and anything "hydrolyzed"). My hair hates coconut oil and jojoba oil(sometimes).
http://photobucket.com/teshon PW: crazycurls
Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/teshonandfamily
teshon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
 
tjbrat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 67
Default

I actually use the JC N&S and the Qhemet together. I mix about a teaspoon of each together. My hair stays moistured for days on end. When I do the teaspoon of each I still end up having enough left to do my entire head a second time (I'm really heavy on products). I really like both of them.
tjbrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 02:19 PM   #10
 
Frizzcurls427's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 152
Default

I haven't used it on dry hair...Think it will be too heavy for me but I used it on wet hair before when I do my puffs I use it over conditioner to slick it down...It works well but I'm like Curlynikki when I say I prefer water based moisturizers...I say try it but try a small amount because it has a tendency to be greasy...
__________________
Lovin' my curly corkscrews!
http://public.fotki.com/Musiclova
http://photobucket.com/Frizzcurls427
www.youtube.com/Frizzcurls427
http://urahautemama.blogspot
Products: Giovanni Direct Leave In, Paul Mitchell The Conditioner, FOTE 100% aloe vera gel, Eco styler gel (olive oil), coconut oil, olive oil, shea butter,honey
Frizzcurls427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 04:25 PM   #11
 
empressri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,808
Default

hey girl! sorry i missed this we're in DR whoohoo! im borrowing my fiance's laptop to schmooze for hair stuff hehee.

i havent tried jc yet because they wanted too much daggone money for that little jar! i have been a TAD curious though...
__________________
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

"Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
[/B]
empressri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
 
foxycus02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to foxycus02
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlynikki View Post
....eh, its very moisturizing, but not worth the money. I gave it away to one of my curly friends. I've learned that butters aren't for my 'out' styles. Since I've been enjoying this twist-n-curl soooo much, there hasn't been much need for my Qhemet either. Don't you have fine strands too? It (and all other buttery products) totally weighs my hair down if used on dry hair. My dry hair DOESN'T like heavy butters. I need water based moisturizers for day 2 and 3 hair. What are you trying to achieve... I bet i can guess, lol. Moisture that lasts for days on end? If you come up with a solution, clue me in, please My t-n-c would easily last for a week, but the ends get way too dry and I get worried that they'll split. This is why I do my hair every 2nd or 3rd day.

As of late, the most moisturizing products in my arsenal are:

-Jessicurl WDT ( I can apply to second day hair without weighing it down)
-Devacare One C (I can apply to second day hair without weighing it down)
-Pantene Relaxed and Natural DC Mask (if you don't mind a cone, this is the best darned DT I've ever used)
-Hello Hydration (its great for a cheapie)

Others:
-SheaMoisture Sheabutter- stopped working for me
-AOHC- great butter but I only use for buns now
-Shea Butter- Not for me
-Jane Carter Hair Nourishing Creme- okay...
I just want something to scrunch onto dry hair and on 2nd and 3rd day hair. My hair is fine and is easily weighed down but I'm trying to find an alternative.

I do usually just depend on my conditioners and/or leave in to provide all the moisture I need but I want something extra.
__________________

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...



foxycus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:03 PM   #13
 
curlynikki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 2,468
Default

Gotta get that WDT...
__________________
The Blog: www.curlynikki.com

curlynikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:08 PM   #14
 
foxycus02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to foxycus02
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe View Post
For me it stands at the top! I just started my second tub. Aside from Burdock Cream, it's the only one I use on wet hair that I can smooth on my ends over a conditioner and it moisturizes, helps define the curl, and keeps your hair soft and not dry and crispy on the 2nd day. I use some on dry hair for instant softness. However alone on dry hair it can loosen/frizz curl, so I use under Set It Free. It doesn't mix well with Set it Free-- I scrunch a little N&S in first, then a mix of SIF and Jessicurl WDT scrunched in over that, and can you say moist, and soft, and still defined curls? I revisited Qhemet AOHC and I still think N&S is better for my hair.

Now Burdock Cream is nice to use under Qhemet Honeybush gel or under Knot Today before KCCC. Can't do N&S and KCCC together because it "unravels" the KCCC hold. And Burdock is also a nice booster for conditioner leave-ins, helping to define. And it does give hair added volume.

Jane Carter Nourishing cream - mehh. I bought some because they were out of the N&S - ended up buying the N&S

Sheamoisture - you need strong hands to get it out of the bottle and patience to let it absorb. You also need a lot compared to Jessicurl WDT. It's a good leave-in, but I don't use anymore

Jessicurl WDT - I was using only as a hairdress on dry hair, now I'm layering as a leave-in on wet. I can't use it as the only leave in because alone it can break up my curl and shrink it. But layered over a conditioner? Sweet!

And Devacurl Set it Free! Still use! It's all additive for me.
Glad you mentioned the burdock root creme. I've been eyeing it because its water based. Have you used it on dry hair ? Or do you just apply butters on wet hair?

I had the same experience as CN with the Sheabutter leave in- worked really great at first then stopped.

The SIF didn't work for me. I only used it on dry hair but it gave me a very producty feel and hard feeling. I don't know-anything w wax gives my hair a dirty feel.

Overall, JC NS is working ok just wanted to see how it stood up against the other popular butters.
__________________

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...



foxycus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #15
 
foxycus02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to foxycus02
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by empressri View Post
hey girl! sorry i missed this we're in DR whoohoo! im borrowing my fiance's laptop to schmooze for hair stuff hehee.

i havent tried jc yet because they wanted too much daggone money for that little jar! i have been a TAD curious though...
You're on vacation logging in?? lol. Well I have strepthroat and I'm still logging in. I can't walk but I sure can type -lol.
__________________

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...



foxycus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #16
 
foxycus02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to foxycus02
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjbrat View Post
I actually use the JC N&S and the Qhemet together. I mix about a teaspoon of each together. My hair stays moistured for days on end. When I do the teaspoon of each I still end up having enough left to do my entire head a second time (I'm really heavy on products). I really like both of them.
I use a tiny small amount and scrunch it in...my hair is really fine and it gets weighed down very easily. I def can't see me using a teaspoon of either unless its a prepoo treatment.
__________________

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...



foxycus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2008, 08:35 PM   #17
 
Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,020
Default

@Foxycus02
Quote:
Glad you mentioned the burdock root creme. I've been eyeing it because its water based. Have you used it on dry hair ? Or do you just apply butters on wet hair?
I often mix a tiny bit of burdock with Set it Free for my dry hair refresher. I think I mix stuff with SIF because it cuts the waxy feeling, but nothing expands and fluffs my bedhead like SIF--nothing.
__________________
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 10:36 AM   #18
 
foxycus02's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 956
Send a message via AIM to foxycus02
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburbanbushbabe View Post
@Foxycus02
Quote:
Glad you mentioned the burdock root creme. I've been eyeing it because its water based. Have you used it on dry hair ? Or do you just apply butters on wet hair?
I often mix a tiny bit of burdock with Set it Free for my dry hair refresher. I think I mix stuff with SIF because it cuts the waxy feeling, but nothing expands and fluffs my bedhead like SIF--nothing.


lol u sound soo passionate!
__________________

rockin' to the tune of her own beat...



foxycus02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 02:42 PM   #19
 
empressri's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 4,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxycus02 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by empressri View Post
hey girl! sorry i missed this we're in DR whoohoo! im borrowing my fiance's laptop to schmooze for hair stuff hehee.

i havent tried jc yet because they wanted too much daggone money for that little jar! i have been a TAD curious though...
You're on vacation logging in?? lol. Well I have strepthroat and I'm still logging in. I can't walk but I sure can type -lol.
yeah it was raining lol. now i went to the beach AND the pool (and have my sexy sarong on thanks to botticellibabe) and i need a nap!
__________________
Lady Hasytal in the Land of Product in the Order of the Curly Crusaders

"Trust is knowing your SO would do the right thing in the face of strange vagina." Nej
[/B]
empressri is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com