CurlTalk

CurlTalk (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/)
-   4 (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/)
-   -   Unexpected Baking Soda Results...PICTURES ADDED (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/4/62783-unexpected-baking-soda-results-pictures-added.html)

akilamonique 11-28-2008 05:38 AM

Unexpected Baking Soda Results...PICTURES ADDED
 
Yesterday, I figured I would try clarifying my hair with baking soda. I mixed it in with some castor oil(my staple) and my conditioner just before I was about to get in the shower. Then I got distracted(toddlers will do that to you sometimes), actually I got distracted for a long time, about an hour. So the baking soda mix was in my hair that entire time. Anyway, when I finally got in the shower, I noticed my hair felt different. I decided to detangle(usually a 15 minute to 1/2hour job-I generally run out of hot water). It was SUPER easy. At this point, i'm like "What the heck?", Well when I got out of the shower my hair sas UBBER soft and I noticed my curl pattern was noticeably looser(not a bad thing).
FAST FORWARD TO THIS MORNING(yes I sleep on wet hair)

I got up, wet down my hair with my castor oil/water mix and put in my homemade curl cream.
MY CURLS HAVE LOOSENED TO THE POINT THAT THEY ARE GOING IN A DOWNWARD DIRECTION
My hair is actually showing a little more of it's length!(not much, it's only 6 1/2 inches in a year)
But my hair looks totally different! I'm actually going to wear it OUT today(I never wear my hair out).

Anyway, so what did I discover??? A Homemade Natural curl relaxer??? Something to do with the PH, or something of the Baking Soda? I really don't know anything about that stuff. Either way, i'm happy with the immediate results, let's see what happens as the day goes on(I think I may have put too much cream in my hair, it's white right now, but i'm hoping it will dry clear. Or i'm going to have to wash my hair again.

Kitathena 11-28-2008 06:48 AM

I saw someone on LHCF who found this out too. I think she slept in it overnight and her scalp ended up on fire though. I'm glad you liked the results.

akilamonique 11-28-2008 06:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kitathena (Post 803994)
I saw someone on LHCF who found this out too. I think she slept in it overnight and her scalp ended up on fire though. I'm glad you liked the results.

Oh, that's not good.

Kitathena 11-28-2008 07:00 AM

Here, I found her fotki where she talks about it:

http://public.fotki.com/littlegoldla...iew/group.html

akilamonique 11-28-2008 07:56 AM

UPDATE
 
My hair is dry already!!! It usually takes basically all day for my hair to be dry. I don't have an ounce of frizz(and I have played with it a bit to try to get a style I like since it dried) My curls are poppin'. My hair is a little crunchy because I was way to heavy handed with the curl cream.

I think this is a keeper!!!

mariag002 11-28-2008 09:05 AM

Oh wow can I see a picture? I'd love to see that. I'm too paranoid to do that to my hair.

Kynnib 11-28-2008 09:13 AM

is baking soda basic or acidic?

akilamonique 11-28-2008 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariag002 (Post 804049)
Oh wow can I see a picture? I'd love to see that. I'm too paranoid to do that to my hair.

I will try to get one today before I lay down on it(I'm exhausted with this pregnancy) If not I will get one tomorrow morning.


Quote:

Originally Posted by Kynnib (Post 804056)
is baking soda basic or acidic?

I don't know anything about the PH and all that stuff. I do know it has a PH balance of 9, Water 7, and relaxers between 12 and 14, of course that really doesn't mean much to me. I just know it's not harsh or damaging like chemicals. Maybe one of the Mix Mistresses can chime in. I know there are a few on this forum.

curlymaybe 11-28-2008 09:27 AM

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/TRENTM%7E1.REM/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.jpg[/IMG]http://www.livecurlylivefree.com/curly%201.jpg

From here

The New Black 11-28-2008 09:42 AM

must try this

mariag002 11-28-2008 09:50 AM

akilamonique - OMG congratulations!!!! I didn't know you were pregnant!

:toothy4:

akilamonique 11-28-2008 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mariag002 (Post 804086)
akilamonique - OMG congratulations!!!! I didn't know you were pregnant!

:toothy4:

Aww, Thank You!! We found out the day before my hubby left on his 9 month unaccompanied orders(how lucky for him, because I am a miserable pregnant woman!) So, we have our fingers crossed that he will make it home on time. My due date is June 6th, and we don't have his return date yet, we'll find out more at the end of January.

vkb247 11-28-2008 11:53 AM

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am texturized so I am sure that makes a difference but I just mixed baking soda, olive oil, and conditioner and left it in for about 14 hours!!!!

My hair was very soft afterwards and started to behave again. My curls looked much looser but still curled back up when dry. I have come to realize that I only really want to texturize the middle of my head because it is so coarse their and really shrinks up when I have new grow. I am hoping that I might be able to replace my relaxer with baking soda and so far so good.

BTW: Baking soda gives me similar results as a bentonite clay or yogurt/honey/banana treatment only these need to be done a couple of times to see results and aren't permanent. Baking soda makes noticeable changes right away and I think/hope that they are permanent.

akilamonique 11-28-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkb247 (Post 804177)
Congratulations on your pregnancy!

I am texturized so I am sure that makes a difference but I just mixed baking soda, olive oil, and conditioner and left it in for about 14 hours!!!!

My hair was very soft afterwards and started to behave again. My curls looked much looser but still curled back up when dry. I have come to realize that I only really want to texturize the middle of my head because it is so coarse their and really shrinks up when I have new grow. I am hoping that I might be able to replace my relaxer with baking soda and so far so good.

BTW: Baking soda gives me similar results as a bentonite clay or yogurt/honey/banana treatment only these need to be done a couple of times to see results and aren't permanent. Baking soda makes noticeable changes right away and I think/hope that they are permanent.

Thanks!

Now, when you say the curls were loose but curled back up when dry, you don't mean you had shrinkage do you? I didn't have any shrinkage. I'm thinking the next time I do it i'm going to try to focus on my roots, because that is where my main "issue" is. The roots come in so thick and compact you really can't see much curl definition until it grows out some.
How many times have you done it, because I was wondering if the results are "permanent or not. I would think to some extent it would be but I don't know. Someone else who has been doing this for some time will need to chime in.

KinkyCurlyCool 11-28-2008 01:59 PM

off topic....
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by akilamonique (Post 803968)
Yesterday, I figured I would try clarifying my hair with baking soda. I mixed it in with some castor oil(my staple) and my conditioner just before I was about to get in the shower. Then I got distracted(toddlers will do that to you sometimes), actually I got distracted for a long time, about an hour. So the baking soda mix was in my hair that entire time. Anyway, when I finally got in the shower, I noticed my hair felt different. I decided to detangle(usually a 15 minute to 1/2hour job-I generally run out of hot water). It was SUPER easy. At this point, i'm like "What the heck?", Well when I got out of the shower my hair sas UBBER soft and I noticed my curl pattern was noticeably looser(not a bad thing).
FAST FORWARD TO THIS MORNING(yes I sleep on wet hair)

I got up, wet down my hair with my castor oil/water mix and put in my homemade curl cream.
MY CURLS HAVE LOOSENED TO THE POINT THAT THEY ARE GOING IN A DOWNWARD DIRECTION
My hair is actually showing a little more of it's length!(not much, it's only 6 1/2 inches in a year)
But my hair looks totally different! I'm actually going to wear it OUT today(I never wear my hair out).

Anyway, so what did I discover??? A Homemade Natural curl relaxer??? Something to do with the PH, or something of the Baking Soda? I really don't know anything about that stuff. Either way, i'm happy with the immediate results, let's see what happens as the day goes on(I think I may have put too much cream in my hair, it's white right now, but i'm hoping it will dry clear. Or i'm going to have to wash my hair again.


we have the same skin regimen... thus far, i :love4: African black soap and shea butter....:blob4:

akilamonique 11-28-2008 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KinkyCurlyCool (Post 804288)
Quote:

Originally Posted by akilamonique (Post 803968)
Yesterday, I figured I would try clarifying my hair with baking soda. I mixed it in with some castor oil(my staple) and my conditioner just before I was about to get in the shower. Then I got distracted(toddlers will do that to you sometimes), actually I got distracted for a long time, about an hour. So the baking soda mix was in my hair that entire time. Anyway, when I finally got in the shower, I noticed my hair felt different. I decided to detangle(usually a 15 minute to 1/2hour job-I generally run out of hot water). It was SUPER easy. At this point, i'm like "What the heck?", Well when I got out of the shower my hair sas UBBER soft and I noticed my curl pattern was noticeably looser(not a bad thing).
FAST FORWARD TO THIS MORNING(yes I sleep on wet hair)

I got up, wet down my hair with my castor oil/water mix and put in my homemade curl cream.
MY CURLS HAVE LOOSENED TO THE POINT THAT THEY ARE GOING IN A DOWNWARD DIRECTION
My hair is actually showing a little more of it's length!(not much, it's only 6 1/2 inches in a year)
But my hair looks totally different! I'm actually going to wear it OUT today(I never wear my hair out).

Anyway, so what did I discover??? A Homemade Natural curl relaxer??? Something to do with the PH, or something of the Baking Soda? I really don't know anything about that stuff. Either way, i'm happy with the immediate results, let's see what happens as the day goes on(I think I may have put too much cream in my hair, it's white right now, but i'm hoping it will dry clear. Or i'm going to have to wash my hair again.


we have the same skin regimen... thus far, i :love4: African black soap and shea butter....:blob4:

I'm totally loving African Black Soap and Shea Butter on my skin!!! I use both on my hair sometimes.

vkb247 11-28-2008 05:26 PM

I have lots of shrinkage with or without baking soda but less shrinkage with it. I also had better curl definition without gel or my denman. This is the longest I have left it on my hair but I will definitely try it again. I used to do lots of baking soda/conditioner washes and it helped me keep the results of the other treatments I was doing. I haven't done them in awhile and I was finding harder to make this curls boing the way I want them to. This extreme baking soda treatment put my hair right back to where I like it to be. I will have to update you...

Mya_wannaBe 11-28-2008 05:26 PM

i tried this a while back. left the BS in my hair for an hour and my hair diffently* had less shrinkage and more pronounced curls. i dont remember how long it stayed like that, but it is temporary for sure! congrats on your pregnancy too!!

vkb247 11-28-2008 05:41 PM

Thanks Mya. I couldn't be sure about that.

BTW: My Baking soda, oil, conditioner mix smelled just like relaxer. A few folks have said this and it scares some.

akilamonique 11-28-2008 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkb247 (Post 804441)
Thanks Mya. I couldn't be sure about that.

BTW: My Baking soda, oil, conditioner mix smelled just like relaxer. A few folks have said this and it scares some.

I hadn't noticed, but my condish smells pretty good, so maybe it masked it.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:51 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com