Go Back   CurlTalk > Hair > 4

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-25-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default 4b that needs moisture and growth

Okay,

I'm just looking for some not so complex advice and tips on which products to use to help my hair grow and keep it looking shiney and moisturized. I really don't want to get into making recipes from home, but if they are really simple and truly benefit my hair type for moisture and/or growth I am willing to try it too, just please not so complex.

My hair is 4b, very thick and course, breaks off everytime I comb/pick it. I have extremely dry skin and scalp that is itchy and flakes. My hair is also extremely dry.

I wear it completely natural, been natural since August 2009 and have not gone back yet.

I liked what I saw on TreasuredLocks.com and I even tried the natural laxer. I loved it, but I didn't continue after the first 3-week application b/c it's quite expensive, but I will be doing it again. I liked the idea of the Emu Oil Shampoo and Conditioners, but like I mentioned before it is very expensive b/c of shipping and handling.

Does anyone WITH 4B/4A type hair know what I should try from store bought products. From places like Sally's Beauty Supply and/or Wal-Mart? Please I really need to hear from 4B/4A type hair who have tried store brought Products.

I heard about Aphogee and I like Cantu also, does anyone else have an idea about these products and other products that would be good for my hair. It doesn't matter if they are all natural or not, I just want something less expensive, easier to get to that will be really healthy for my hair in terms of moisture/conditiong and growth/strengthening.

Thanks in Advance for your help.
__________________
4b type, looking for moisture and growth!!
4bNeedsMoisture!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
 
pulchri2dinous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,012
Default

I have not tried Aphogee, but Cantu doesn't work for me, because my hair doesn't like cones.

Have you checked out the 4b/a Guide to Basic Haircare?

ETA: I recently tried Taliah Waajid's Protective Mist Bodifier and I love it. It makes my hair really soft. I dilluted it with water for a moisturizing spray. You can find it at CVS for 6-8 dollars.
__________________
4, fine, low-medium density, low porosity





"When it is obvious that the goals cannot be reached, don't adjust the goals, adjust the action steps." - Confucius

Last edited by pulchri2dinous; 03-02-2010 at 06:33 PM.
pulchri2dinous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
 
Suburbanbushbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 16,020
Default

Emu oil is great, but it is expensive. Try castor oil mixed with another oil (olive, avocado, grapeseed) to cut the stickiness, or mixed with shea butter. If you are detangling do it only on wet, conditioner soaked hair. I love to add a little Karen's Body Beautiful Hair Milk to my ends over my detangling conditioners because it just makes everything more slippery and I can finger detangle.

You may also want to try washing your hair while twisted to minimize the tangles.

Regarding the Natural-laxer, you can do a rhassoul or bentonite clay treatment and get a good conditioning effect. These clays are relatively inexpensive and available at mountain rose herbs (online). For more of a conditioning hit, mix some coconut milk with the clay (along with water) and maybe some plain yogurt too. Makes a nice deep treatment.
__________________
My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/


Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
Quote:
Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
Suburbanbushbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:38 AM   #4
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks, I will try that.
__________________
4b type, looking for moisture and growth!!
4bNeedsMoisture!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulchri2dinous View Post
I have not tried Aphogee, but Cantu doesn't work for me, because my hair doesn't like cones.

Have you checked out the 4b/a Guide to Basic Haircare?
I will definitely look at that guide, thank you.
__________________
4b type, looking for moisture and growth!!
4bNeedsMoisture!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 07:31 AM   #6
 
Kinky Rhonnie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 1,166
Default

If your hair is breaking every time you comb/pick it I'd suggest that you NEVER comb it dry.

Are you using a spritz mix to keep your hair moisturized?

A simple mix of conditioner, oil, and water can keep your hair soft while styling. I mix Aubrey Organics Honeysuckle Rose Conditioner, Castor Oil, and Water in an 8 oz. spray bottle and use that for daily moisturizing, refreshing twists, or rewetting if I need to re-set my hair for a braidout or twistout style.

Castor Oil is a great product to enhance growth, you can use it to oil your scalp two to three times per week and you should see results within a few months. It will also help your hair to retain moisture and it aids in shine.

to help your hair retain moisture, stick to using shampoo as infrequently as possible. Most weeks I cleanse my hair with conditioner only. I always use a leave-in conditioner. While my hair is soaking wet, I apply my moisturizer. I never let my hair dry loose. I always set it in braids or twists and always seals in my moisture with and oil and protect my ends with castor oil.
__________________

Get up to $10 off your first order at http://www.iherb.com. Use discount code: CAR231.

My Blog: http://kinkyrhonnie.blogspot.com

Last edited by Kinky Rhonnie; 02-26-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Kinky Rhonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
 
dee-nature's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 628
Talking try this

sis you have to try raw unrefined shea butter, its the truth! i purchase mine from sheanmore.com prince is good shipping can be better. works wonders for both skin, scalp. hair..name it. I mix mine with extra virgin coconut oil and jojoba oil, works well w/o them too but since u have excessive dry issue i say mix and whip. good luck!
__________________
hair type: 4a VERY dense

hair goal
= WL Aug. 23, 2013

My hair LOVES oil

2. "Being natural must be the new crack cus im hooked!!"

“Being happy doesn't mean that everything is
perfect. It means that you've decided to look beyond the imperfections.”

www.fotki.com/dee-nature-619

dee-nature is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 02:28 PM   #8
 
ReynaCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 352
Default



My hair is exactly how you describe yours, and i just want to share something that I learned over the last week:

Solution 1.) Protein Treatments for Porous Hair
The best , and perhaps easiest, way to patch up damaged cuticle layers is simply through light protein conditioning. Protein fills in gaps, binds to damaged places, and mends individual exterior scales along the cuticle. Regular protein conditioning improves the hair's porosity by reinforcing the cuticle layers and allowing the hair shaft to better hold on to the moisture it is given. You don't want to get too excited with the protein though because this can make the hair even drier. Products with wheat protein, like Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, are good for shoring up the cuticle without leaving the hair too crunchy. Other more protein intensive treatments for correcting porous hair are Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor, CHI Keratin Mist, Motions CPR, and Organic Root Stimulator Mayo Treatment, and Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner. Remember, nothing can PERMANENTLY repair hair that is damaged, but treatments can go a long way for shoring up the weak spots and temporarily managing problems.
__________________
Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
ReynaCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 21
Default

Absolutely. I like Pantene Relaxed and Natural hair mask or Pantene Deep Fortifying Rinse-off Treatment
I also like Aubrey Organics conditioners to use as a DC.
For shampoo, I like L'Oréal Everpure shampoo are really great, too.
Also, I would stock up on the bigger brands when they are on sale or buy litter sizes. Try TJ Maxx, too.
__________________
Visit HMS.com//
Twitter////facebook//4b//SL//BC: 1/20/2009//
CurlsMakeUHappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #10
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default Thank you

Thank you for your advice!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurlsMakeUHappy View Post
Absolutely. I like Pantene Relaxed and Natural hair mask or Pantene Deep Fortifying Rinse-off Treatment
I also like Aubrey Organics conditioners to use as a DC.
For shampoo, I like L'Oréal Everpure shampoo are really great, too.
Also, I would stock up on the bigger brands when they are on sale or buy litter sizes. Try TJ Maxx, too.
__________________
4b type, looking for moisture and growth!!
4bNeedsMoisture!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:38 AM   #11
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Talking thanks

Hi, thank you for your advice. I will definitely try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfKinks View Post


My hair is exactly how you describe yours, and i just want to share something that I learned over the last week:

Solution 1.) Protein Treatments for Porous Hair
The best , and perhaps easiest, way to patch up damaged cuticle layers is simply through light protein conditioning. Protein fills in gaps, binds to damaged places, and mends individual exterior scales along the cuticle. Regular protein conditioning improves the hair's porosity by reinforcing the cuticle layers and allowing the hair shaft to better hold on to the moisture it is given. You don't want to get too excited with the protein though because this can make the hair even drier. Products with wheat protein, like Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, are good for shoring up the cuticle without leaving the hair too crunchy. Other more protein intensive treatments for correcting porous hair are Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor, CHI Keratin Mist, Motions CPR, and Organic Root Stimulator Mayo Treatment, and Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner. Remember, nothing can PERMANENTLY repair hair that is damaged, but treatments can go a long way for shoring up the weak spots and temporarily managing problems.
__________________
4b type, looking for moisture and growth!!
4bNeedsMoisture!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:42 AM   #12
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 7
Default Thank You

Hey, Thank you. I just ordered some unrefined shea butter and hair shea butter from butters-n-bars.com

I read about them from some of the other forums and then visited their website. Since I'm trying to be as natural as possible, I decided to try their shampoo, hair conditioning mask, and their all natural "grow my hair" hair shea butter. I'm still waiting for the products, but I am really excited about seeing the results. I like what I saw and I do beleive that when we try to go as natural as possible we could do wonders with our skin and hair for less too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dee-nature View Post
sis you have to try raw unrefined shea butter, its the truth! i purchase mine from sheanmore.com prince is good shipping can be better. works wonders for both skin, scalp. hair..name it. I mix mine with extra virgin coconut oil and jojoba oil, works well w/o them too but since u have excessive dry issue i say mix and whip. good luck!
__________________
4b type, looking for moisture and growth!!
4bNeedsMoisture!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #13
 
ReynaCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 352
Default One More Thing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bNeedsMoisture!! View Post
Okay,

I'm just looking for some not so complex advice and tips on which products to use to help my hair grow and keep it looking shiney and moisturized. I really don't want to get into making recipes from home, but if they are really simple and truly benefit my hair type for moisture and/or growth I am willing to try it too, just please not so complex.

My hair is 4b, very thick and course, breaks off everytime I comb/pick it. I have extremely dry skin and scalp that is itchy and flakes. My hair is also extremely dry.

I wear it completely natural, been natural since August 2009 and have not gone back yet.

I liked what I saw on TreasuredLocks.com and I even tried the natural laxer. I loved it, but I didn't continue after the first 3-week application b/c it's quite expensive, but I will be doing it again. I liked the idea of the Emu Oil Shampoo and Conditioners, but like I mentioned before it is very expensive b/c of shipping and handling.

Does anyone WITH 4B/4A type hair know what I should try from store bought products. From places like Sally's Beauty Supply and/or Wal-Mart? Please I really need to hear from 4B/4A type hair who have tried store brought Products.

I heard about Aphogee and I like Cantu also, does anyone else have an idea about these products and other products that would be good for my hair. It doesn't matter if they are all natural or not, I just want something less expensive, easier to get to that will be really healthy for my hair in terms of moisture/conditiong and growth/strengthening.

Thanks in Advance for your help.
One more thing... I am beginning to do henna / cassia treatments. It has a great reputation as one of the best hair conditioners.. you may wanna read about it in this thread:
Experiences with Henna?.
I enjoyed reading the first 5 pages... the rest is pretty redundant to me.
__________________
Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.

Last edited by QueenOfKinks; 03-08-2010 at 12:37 PM. Reason: add link to thread ;)
ReynaCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:27 AM   #14
 
aishamodel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 136
Default

Water and condish=moisture
Maybe the products you are using are drying your hair out. Are you sleeping on satin or cotton? Are you doing Co-Washes? Are you wetting your hair enough?

Have you tried Aubrey Organics Honeysuckly Rose? It has been the most moisturizing conditioner I have tried so far.
You may need to try deep conditioning (under a hooded blowdryer or conditioning cap) twice a week as oppose to one. Do a Co-Wash with VO5 moisture milks condish, then follow up with a deep (under the hooded dryer) using Aubrey O's Honey. Rose. After Rinsing follow up with Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in and detangler. Then use a shea butter or a styling moisturizer like Carol's Daughter Healthy hair butter or Jane Carter twist and shine. Do that twice a week and Im sure you'll see a difference. This is just what seems to work for me.

On a daily basis I mix some water, oil (olive, castor, jojoba, whatever) with a leave in or a condish and spray that to wet my hair so I can retwist.

I recently just incorporated a protein condish b/c my hair seems to need the strength. So I will continue this routine but using a moisture+protein condish.

Good luck
aishamodel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 09:07 AM   #15
 
ReynaCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 352
Default RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishamodel View Post
Water and condish=moisture
Maybe the products you are using are drying your hair out. Are you sleeping on satin or cotton? Are you doing Co-Washes? Are you wetting your hair enough?

Have you tried Aubrey Organics Honeysuckly Rose? It has been the most moisturizing conditioner I have tried so far.
You may need to try deep conditioning (under a hooded blowdryer or conditioning cap) twice a week as oppose to one. Do a Co-Wash with VO5 moisture milks condish, then follow up with a deep (under the hooded dryer) using Aubrey O's Honey. Rose. After Rinsing follow up with Kinky Curly Knot Today leave-in and detangler. Then use a shea butter or a styling moisturizer like Carol's Daughter Healthy hair butter or Jane Carter twist and shine. Do that twice a week and Im sure you'll see a difference. This is just what seems to work for me.

On a daily basis I mix some water, oil (olive, castor, jojoba, whatever) with a leave in or a condish and spray that to wet my hair so I can retwist.

I recently just incorporated a protein condish b/c my hair seems to need the strength. So I will continue this routine but using a moisture+protein condish.

Good luck
Yep! I also own the KCKT and Healthy Hair Butter. Well since it has been cold down here in Miami, lately when I apply the Kinky Curly it doesnt moisturize like it would in the summer. Innit funny?!

Well glad we could all help ya!!
__________________
Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
ReynaCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
 
dimples12553's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 69
Send a message via Yahoo to dimples12553
Default

I see a lot of purchased products listed here, have you ever thought of making some of your products?

By doing this, the products will be customized to your own hair needs and can also be altered as the needs of your hair start to change during the seasons.

Homemade producta also cost soooooo much less once you get the routine down. Honestly, there will be a few misses, but once you get the hit your hair will love you for it. Also, during the trial stage, you just do not have to make as much.
__________________
Dimples12553
  • Type: 4B, feels more like a 4C
  • Last Relaxer: 6/2001
  • Moisturizer: Raw unrefined shea butter, virgin coconut oil cream
  • Daily Spritz: recipe of Aloe Vera Gel, water & glycerine with some peppermint essential oil for a little tingle
  • Remember HAPPY hair is HEALTHY Hair.
dimples12553 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:59 PM   #17
 
ReynaCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 352
Default RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4bNeedsMoisture!! View Post
Hi, thank you for your advice. I will definitely try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenOfKinks View Post


My hair is exactly how you describe yours, and i just want to share something that I learned over the last week:

Solution 1.) Protein Treatments for Porous Hair
The best , and perhaps easiest, way to patch up damaged cuticle layers is simply through light protein conditioning. Protein fills in gaps, binds to damaged places, and mends individual exterior scales along the cuticle. Regular protein conditioning improves the hair's porosity by reinforcing the cuticle layers and allowing the hair shaft to better hold on to the moisture it is given. You don't want to get too excited with the protein though because this can make the hair even drier. Products with wheat protein, like Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner, are good for shoring up the cuticle without leaving the hair too crunchy. Other more protein intensive treatments for correcting porous hair are Aphogee 2 Minute Keratin Reconstructor, CHI Keratin Mist, Motions CPR, and Organic Root Stimulator Mayo Treatment, and Cantu Shea Butter leave in conditioner. Remember, nothing can PERMANENTLY repair hair that is damaged, but treatments can go a long way for shoring up the weak spots and temporarily managing problems.
Hey mama, remember when I typed this? I have henna'd twice this week and immediately I see the difference in my hair being able to retain moisture. You may wanna try cassia... or research a good deep treatment for your hair. I'm increasingly seeing that that was my problem all along. Solved so many problems!!

Have a good day, talk soon!!
__________________
Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
ReynaCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 06:04 PM   #18
 
bert6636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 2
Default Mositure & Shine

raw shea butter and extra virgin olive oil. mix it until is smooth and creamy and use a little on your hair. Great for shine all day and nurishment.
Blessings.
bert6636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 11:40 AM   #19
 
ReynaCR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 352
Default RE:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bert6636 View Post
raw shea butter and extra virgin olive oil. mix it until is smooth and creamy and use a little on your hair. Great for shine all day and nurishment.
Blessings.
MM.. sounds good!
__________________
Reyna

"Don't look back and ask why, look forward and ask why not!?" - Unk.
ReynaCR is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Trending Topics[-]hide

Thread Tools
Display Modes



Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2011 NaturallyCurly.com