I am only 6 weeks and a few days. Normally I would not be telling people I was pregnant yet, especially since we haven't heard a heartbeat or anything yet.

However--

1. We have a whole bunch of people who think they are coming to our wedding in September. A lot of them are out of town. Since I know that is not going to happen, I feel like I owe people as a courtesy to tell them fairly soon, so they don't make plans to travel, take off work, etc.

2. My being in the third trimester this summer could affect my job. I spend the summer on my feet outside all day, and our summer days are typically 95 degrees with high humidity, often reaching into the 100s. I will need to talk to my supervisor about my options for working this summer. This job is technically seasonal and summer is when I work the most hours.

But I know I am still at a relatively high risk of miscarriage since I'm so early and we have not heard a heartbeat yet. I am hesitant to tell people until we have at least confirmed that it's a healthy pregnancy. I have my next appointment and an ultrasound set for 5 weeks from now, but I am going to try and get in to see some other doctors (see my other post about finding a practitioner I like) so I don't know whether they will do ultrasound/doppler any earlier.

Thoughts? When did you decide to tell people you were pregnant?
Originally Posted by iris427
Re: #2 - I think it was a combination of luck and stubborness/determination born of financial and personal necessity, but I didn't change my schedule or anything right up until the day my baby was born. I worked throughout the third trimester, and while generally my job was an indoor desk job, for the last 3 weeks or so before my baby was born, we ran an outdoor theatre festival and I was on my feet for hours a day in July heat and humidity - and I survived. I also did an opera at about 7 months where I was constantly on my feet. People I worked with were very helpful in trying to get me to take breaks and so on, and I am sure that that will happen for you, too. I worked until the day I went into labour, and baby was fine. I personally don't think you should ask for a job modification unless there are health reasons and it is recommended by your doctor - but that's just me.

If you do decide that you need accomodations at work, I don't think you need to bring it up for at least a couple more months.
Originally Posted by Amneris
I've thought about this more and I agree with you that I will be fine this summer, assuming no complications. I have decided not to talk to my supervisor for a while. I will be able to work without asking for any modifications. And I just found out that I have a coworker who is due only 4 days before me! She is on her second pregnancy and does not seem worried about working this summer, so that reassured me as well.

But I did cave and tell my friends