If you take a digital photo of yourself, without makeup, outside in natural light, and post it on Meow's CatChat forum, other members will be happy to suggest foundation colors for you to sample. Get samples of those, plus a few others that you think might work for you, and be sure to sample the colors in more than one foundation type, depending on your skin type.

Someone who is a complete novice to makeup should start small with basics...foundation, blush, perhaps concealor...and save the primers, finishers, bronzers, etc., for later. I'm a makeup ho, and I never use bronzers or primers or concealors. Sometimes I use a finisher, not often. I've got my skin in such good shape from my skincare routine, and also from using mineral makeup that doesn't break me out or irritate me, that I don't really need a lot of makeup anymore.

Meow has lucious eyeshadows, so if you're into eyeshadow, be sure to sample some of those as well.

Get yourself the proper application tools...a good kabuki, a slanted fluffy blush brush, a couple of eyeshadow brushes in small and tiny sizes...and you'll be good to go.
Originally Posted by RedCatWaves
Does it have to be a recent pic? ever since I realized that it was close to the time I planned on ordering it's been cloudy and threatening rain/snow every single day. I have a pic from last eater were if I'm wearing any make-up at all, then it's probably just eyeliner and mascara. And my skin right now seems a bit darker then normal

Oh and ugh on their eyeshadow selection, I could get in so much trouble with that. If only they had a 1-of-each combo deal.
Originally Posted by cympreni

It doesn't necessarily have to be a recent picture, but it should be a good picture...a close shot with good natural lighting. A couple of the posters there have some computer programs they use to analyze the skin color, so it helps if there is actually enough skin showing to analyze it.