My hair was probably 2A when I was a kid and then around 12-13 it poofed up. If I let it air dry it was like each individual hair went its own separate way and there were no real curls at all (it still does this if I brush it out and let it air dry without scrunching it). So I blew it out with a huge barrel brush every day. For example:

If the hair wasn't bad enough, we had to wear knickers as part of our uniform. This was the summer between 8th and 9th grade at Interlochen Arts Camp in Michigan. It looked like that for the better part of middle and high school. I didn't figure it out until one summer when I was home from college I let it air dry because it was so hot outside and the under layers started spiraling. That was when I started trying to figure out how to wear it curly.

I wish my husband didn't have the camera with him, because I'm having a good hair day today!
2C/3A, currently:
CO Wash - VO5 Chamomile Tea
CO - Suave Humectant Conditioner
Generic PM The Conditioner scrunched it, followed by Aussie Dual Personality Mousse + Leave in Conditioner, and a few blobs of HESMU scrunched on top.

Scrunch with MF towel, air dry for about 15 minutes, diffuse until mostly dry, air dry some more, come back and scrunch in some more mousse and then diffuse until completely dry. Curls are unusually well defined and clumpy!

http://public.fotki.com/Ambicurler/