Wow, pink that was a serious and informative post. I think that everyone is right or at least there are bits of the truth in what everyone said. We (America) has come along way in terms of race relations although we have a ways to go yet.
There are still lingering traces of European superiority particularly, when it comes to the standards of beauty. I don't think that people actually think "I want to be more like a white person or have European qualities b/c all others are bad/ugly". But as you stated pink, the origin of some of the standards and the fact that they still exist and are effecting us today gives merit to considering this issue and how we can move beyond this point.
Again, I am quite sure no one here would think "I don't want my hair to even vaguely similar to an AA".But let me ask this, if you woke up one morning and your 2b-3b hair all of the sudden was 4a-4b--- after the initial freak out, -- could you get over it, or would you be thinking negative things about it, would your hair be totally unattractive to you? If so, then maybe there's more to this then we all thought. (of course I over simplified this example, any sane person would want to do further research as to why their hair changed, but just humor me and try to see my point).
Originally Posted by kurlikinkiklassic

I get what your saying and I can tell you my own personal experience. About three years ago I thermal straightened my hair and it left it in such bad shape. It wasn't until last year that my hair began to grow out but I noticed my curls just didn't look the same, they were looser! and I was so disappointed. I missed my old hair and I think that this experience helped me realize that I am who I am and I should be happy as I am. But growing up no one in the media looked like me and when I wanted to buy make up nothing matched my skin tone. I began to associate these images to what is beautiful and said to myself well I don't look like that I must not be beautiful. Which is why I totally get her question on white being pushed as what is beautiful. In one of the readings I did for class this Afro-Brazilian woman (Brazil is really racist by the way) was reflecting on when she finally came to terms with her racial identity, she said- "I realized that no matter how many times I straightened my hair I will not stop being Black" WOW. That hit home for me. I am brown, latina, mestiza, mulatta, indigenous, and my hair shows a hybridity. Straightening my hair does not change this it only attempts to draw attention away from this. Well guess what? I'm not doing that anymore!