View Single Post
Old 01-20-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
urbancurl

Default Terrorism will exist as long as certain conditions exist.

I had the honor of hearing Archbsihop Desmond Tutu speak yesterday evening and he talked about this.
Quote:
Terrorism

"When you know that there are things like poverty, disease and inequalities in the world today, I am not surprised that terrorism has emerged but why it has taken so long. There comes a time when even a humble and most peace-loving person says I have had enough. My view is that we won't win the war against terror as long as there are conditions that make feelings desperate."
http://www.squidoo.com/desmond-tutu/

So that is one reason why this so-called "war on terror" is unjust. If terrorism is truly what one is concerned about, wouldn't it make more sense to focus on something like, oh, I don't know, poverty?

Do you think that Bush understands this good and well, but would never actually acknowlege it because of his desire to have the war for other, dubious reasons? I mean, I don't know how intelligent the man is, but he certainly has intelligent people around him advising him.

Maybe I am the dumb one. I bet he does know, or at least has the capacity to understand, that what he is doing, this war, will not help the conditions that cause terrorism (some say it is making them worse). He just doesn't care about the conditions people are living in elsewhere. He doesn't even seem to care about it here. Why am I even giving him the benefit of the doubt?

Password= urban
urbancurl is offline   Reply With Quote