[quote=annielutz;641742]
Question: how exactly is a Mexican "supposed" to look? To me, it seems like the stereotyping that East Indians face--India's such a diverse country that it has people of so many different skin colors and hair/eye types. I'm assuming Mexican (and Latin American countries) are similar to that, meaning there has been so much mixing through the years that there's no unified look for those nationalities. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Originally Posted by AngularScience

I live in Texas and have always had a lot of Mexican friends. Even though it's kind of well known that there is a HUGE range of what they look like, anything that sort of deviates from the norm, (which is usually olive to medium brown skin and thick wavy hair ranging from medium brown to black), is considered "not Mexican looking", even in the eyes of some Mexicans who should know better lol!

All of my friends who are the really white-looking types get asked all the time, even though they only identify as Mexican, and it kind of irritates them even though it's obvious to them why they asked. It's almost like in Mean Girls lol, "If your last name is Rodriguez, why are you white?" lol.

One of my friends is half-Mexican and half-Chinese, and it's only her name and accent that is Mexican seeming about her. I assumed she was totally asian until I heard her speak, and found out her last name. Then I noticed how she had freckles and a very non-typical curvy figure for an asian girl. She's really really busty lol. Her fiance is half-Mexican and half-Egyptian, with an Egyptian last name that she's going to take, so this will become even more confusing for people meeting her for the first time lol!

She has stick straight hair, that's really fine, and even though she would rather have thicker, more wavy hair, a lot of Mexican girls would like to have hers lol.

I'll give you an example: I have several aunts, but the two oldest ones were only two years apart. One was fair-skinned with light hair and eyes but not extraordinary looking, the other was far more beautiful but with darker skin and dark hair and eyes. My grandmother (from Guadalajara) told my darker aunt that she may as well not even bother looking for a husband because she was "too dark." Of course, my aunt ignored my grandmother.

From what I understand, this type of prejudice exists still in Mexico - the lighter the skin, hair, and eyes, the more desirable the person.

Mexico is a nation of immigrants, like the United States: From Spain, from Germany, and a large community of Chinese immigrants in Mexico City to name a few. So from that perspective, there is no one "look" for a Mexican citizen.
I had no idea until recently how color-struck Mexicans can be among their own people, although that seems to be the case in most cultures that have been colonialized at some point. I have noticed that most of my female friends have said at some point that they wont date guys darker than a certain shade; I just never put it together in my head lol!

We black people are usually like that too with light colored skin, and its really sad. ANY light-skinned woman is considered automatically prettier than even the most GORGEOUS dark skinned girl. If Naomi Campbell had been an African-American black person, she never would have become as successful as shes been because she looks 100% African.

Fortunately, were beginning to have darker skinned girls as beauty idols, although Gabrielle Union is the only one that comes to mind right now who would have been considered "too dark" to be considered beautiful. Its sad how many black female celebrities who are dark mention it as a struggle in interviewsL.