I want to join the thread! Maybe posting my runs will help me actually do them as opposed to just planning them and then only doing half of it.

I am doing a training program for a 10k that I'm running on September 13. I was never athletic AT ALL growing up (I twirled baton, but that was it), and I am a sloooow runner (about 5.5 mph), which I am ok with most of the time, but lately I've been wanting to add speed as well as endurance, which is hard to balance. My longest run to date has been 5 miles, but that included two brief walk breaks. I am up to running a full 4 miles pretty consistently.

I ran 4 miles in just under 44 min. today . I have a 2 mile run tomorrow, then another 4 on Friday and a 5 () on Saturday. We'll see how it goes...

If I could run the 10k at 6mph, I would be happy. Any faster than 6mph and I would be amazed with myself.
Originally Posted by franfaircloth
The most important thing in running, is pacing. Most runners make the mistake of going out really fast for the first half of the race, and then the second half suffers. If you have a goal of running say a 10 minute mile, it's best to run the first half at your ideal pace, so run the first half mile in 5 minutes and then repeat it. It's much easier to run a pace, it takes awhile to learn, but that way the second half of your race doesn't suffer, and you may even run negative splits (which is a good thing - when you run the second half faster than the first). So say you're doing the 10K, run the first 5K at your ideal pace of 6 mph (or 10 minute miles) and then do the last 5K at the same pace or faster.
Originally Posted by Amandacurls
I've found that doing the HIIT training has really helped me to increase my speed and endurance overall. I also have been using a treadmill to alternate working at an incline and resting on a flat...now THAT really helps.

I finished my 8 week training program this morning for HIIT... for the next few weeks I'm going to concentrate on the working/resting... to increase my endurance.
Originally Posted by hopetocurl
Just remember that when running on a treadmill, a 1% incline is equivalent to running outside. Which HIIT program do you use, if you don't mind my asking?