netG, since we're similar in this way, perhaps I should try speed dating next time I'm in a slump.
Originally Posted by wild~hair

It's definitely worth checking out! I use predating speed dating, which is associated with Ok Cupid now. So there's a month of free internet dating which I just don't use. They let you choose whether or not to communicate with the guys online so they don't give out any of your contact info.

I don't know what it's like in other places, but I have found the speed dating here is almost all educated professionals. I've met professors, hotel managers, lawyers, bankers, teachers, marketing guy for a bookstore chain, and many engineers. Tucson is NOT high in professionals compared to blue-collar type jobs, so the ratio at speed dating is surprisingly high.

My favorite story was the guy who said he was a chef, with a snooty air. And it turned out he specifically cut up vegetables at an old folks' home. When he walked in (early) he looks around and I'm the only female in the room, and says "well, typical women are going to be fashionably late." The woman running the thing and I just looked at each other... When he got to my station, he said he likes eating out at nice restaurants, looks me up and down and says "I can tell you do, too." Umm.... wow. He then spent far too much time bragging about how he had a really nice car. Given I had parked next to a different guy who drove up in a Corvette (and didn't mention his car) I was curious what this guy drove. Turned out, it was about a 5 year old Prelude. Now, I wouldn't think LESS of a guy for driving a Prelude. But I did think less of him for bragging about his fancy car...
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!