the teacher actually interrupted his class to ask, aloud, 'Is your hair permed?
Originally Posted by Zythifer
Jeez, I had some rough experiences as a kid but nothing from an adult like that. Mostly other kids.

Although the fact that most of my aunts and the families' elder matriarchs always said "oh i wish i had hair like yours" whenever I'd visit wasn't much a sign of encouragement.

My hair was pretty normal until puberty, and that's also about the time that most social circles of guys start undergoing "wolf pack syndrome" or establishing an alpha male order, and the group of misfits that I had fallen in with decided that my new nickname would be "poodle" as a way of putting me at the bottom of that order.

I had already had the stigma of having glasses since second grade and this was really too much for me. Looking back on it now I think most people who weren't in my clique really cared, but of course I couldn't see that at the time, I thought the whole world, er, school (really in high school they're the same thing, aren't they?) hated my hair. So I pretty much became a loner for the rest of high school, and then I had some pretty severe social skill issues until my mid-20s.

I know, stupid, right? But when you're a kid with already severe self esteem issues, what else are you going to do?

Anyway, I don't want to join the pity party too much, I guess if anything what I want parents of curlies or curly teens to take away from my story is this: don't let anyone give you **** about your hair. If I had to do the whole thing over again, I would have flaunted it, instead of trying to hide behind futile straightening or buzz cuts.
Originally Posted by mattly
aaws Kids can be pretty cruel. I've had many many many horrible experiences with other kids at my schools. It was mainly in my high school in year 9. I'd get comments like "you've got an afro!"
"your hair looks like a mop" "Frizzy mcguire" (yep, one tried to be original). Ooh and then there was the competition to try and get things caught in my hair, e.g. bubble gum, stationary, paper...you name it, it went in there...

There was one girl who really had it in for me (the usual, blonde, STRIAGHT haired, stuck up, shallow nasty cow). She told me ON MY BIRTHDAY that I should straighten my hair. I paid to watch this presentation at school with this guy who came in to show us how to do theatre lighting and she sat behind me, laughing at me with her friends, sticking chewing gum in my hair( which my mum had to cut out) and comparing me to this frizzy hair, ugly witch puppet saying "that's you".

The last bit you wrote, i totally agree. Curly hair is something to be totally celebrated- it's all so frickin' awesome- and nobody should be picked on or have hurtfurl comments made about them just because some boring nasty s**t head thinks otherwise.

oooh, your hair should totally be flaunted btw! It looks like Rob Schneider's hair which is flamin' gorgeous! You lucky lucky individual!!!!

Peace out x
3a/b hair...?

Yeah, I hate Bee's, OK?

They're like...flying DEATH MONKEYS

Fotki: http://public.fotki.com/nuttybutter/

pw: thedoctor

Strange women lying in ponds distrubuting swords is no basis for a system of government!

Last edited by nuttybutter; 08-22-2008 at 05:19 PM.