Plopping seems to work for me, since my superfine, wavy hair needs all the lift it can get at the roots, especially in back.

I put in some gel when my hair is wet, then comb all my hair to the top of my head, to get the biggest clumps of curls I can manage. Then I either pin the curls up on top of my head with duck bill clips for a while, or cover them with a towel (actual plopping). Either way, I only leave it up for about a half an hour or so, then I let it down, arrange my hair a bit, adjust the part, if it needs it, scrunch it gently and slowly (in about four big sections), then let it dry. After it's completely dry, I brush it with a Denman paddle brush to style. (starting at the tips, moving to the roots, to minimize snagging/tangles)

The thing I think that works, plopping-wise, for me, is getting lift at the roots, in the back of my head. Usually, my hair there is much straighter, with little lift. Plopping holds the strands of hair up/away from my scalp, until it's dry right at the roots.

HTHS!
wavy, baby fine tailbone-length hair, airdry only, no brushing, comb only when dry.
Cleanser: moisturising shampoo, lately Optimoist
Conditioner: something moisturising, lately SatinSoft
Styling: No leave in.